Perspective for those who want it NAO!

KnightPhyre

I keep reading posts about stuff people want that should have went in at launch, then saying WoW's got it...why cant we?

Here's some perspective:

LFG tool - WoW did not add this feature in until the end of 2006, two years after release.

Dual Talents - WoW did not add this feature in until mid 2009, five years after release.

And many other similar features.

As a playerbase, a lot of people are trying to whine and beg for a 7 year old release bemoth to already exist for a 2 month old release infant. Bioware has already said that they're working on developing most of the stuff we want.

To end this little foray into reality vs. fantasy and wishful thinking, here's the word of the day:

pa·tience

   [pey-shuhns]

noun

the quality of being patient, as the bearing of provocation, annoyance, misfortune, or pain, without complaint, loss of temper, irritation, or the like.

an ability or willingness to suppress restlessness or annoyance when confronted with delay

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep reading posts about stuff people want that should have went in at launch, then saying WoW's got it...why cant we?

Here's some perspective:

LFG tool - WoW did not add this feature in until the end of 2006, two years after release.

Dual Talents - WoW did not add this feature in until mid 2009, five years after release.

As a playerbase, a lot of people are trying to whine and beg for a 7 year old release bemoth to already exist for a 2 month old release infant. Bioware has already said that they're working on developing most of the stuff we want.

To end this little foray into reality vs. fantasy and wishful thinking, here's the word of the day:

pa·tience

   [pey-shuhns]

noun

the quality of being patient, as the bearing of provocation, annoyance, misfortune, or pain, without complaint, loss of temper, irritation, or the like.

an ability or willingness to suppress restlessness or annoyance when confronted with delay

Since you want to do the comparison of fetures thing lets do it with a MMO that has come out a tad close to TOR...

RIFT launched with

multi spec

full custom UI

LFG was implimented 2-3 months after launch

Ability to change color of gear

Appearance tab

New raid content every 6 weeks and much more

I am not one of the "want it now" and I like TOR and plan to be here for a while but your comparison was kinda silly.

Since you want to do the comparison of fetures thing lets do it with a MMO that has come out a tad close to TOR...

RIFT launched with

multi spec

full custom UI

Appearance tab

I am not one of the "want it now" and I like TOR and plan to be here for a while but your comparison was kinda silly.

Granted, but I'd be more than willing to bet that people still complained about stuff that Rift did NOT launch with.

The point was more along the lines of just wait a bit.

Granted, but I'd be more than willing to bet that people still complained about stuff that Rift did NOT launch with.

No, sorry. Games in development have all had the benefit of watching what WoW was doing, and had the full opportunity to lift it pixel for pixel. They knew what players were doing... it was the best user research in the world.

You cannot compare what a 2012 game doesn't have to what a 2004 game didn't have (and subsequently invented). The 2012 game has to step out of the gate as competitive to their CURRENT competition, not that of 7 years ago.

OP, if a game launched with everything that is being whined about then people would complain (and they still do already) that this game is exactly like xyz game.

Really, the developers cant win, they are coming out with the LFG tool and I am sure when they do we will see a number of threads about how bad it is, how good it is, how it is like another game, etc, etc.

People also believe that every game that comes out now should have everything in it that xyz game has. Of course if a game does have all of that then it is said to be a copy of that other game. So again its a no-win scenerio.

The bottom line is, if you like playing this game and are willing to wait until they add and fix things then please do so.

Here's a big dose of perspective.

World of Warcraft was released in 2004.

Star Wars The Old Republic was released in 2011.

In MMO terms, there's generations of differences between the launches.

If you want to make an apt comparison with TOR, try Rift. It was released in the last 12 months.

For sure but "wait a bit" has hurt the last few MMO's a lot.

Tons of competition these days.

I for one feel that with the hype they had the launch could have waited 3-6 months and launched with much more.

Like I said though, I'm sticking it out.

I'm sure James Ohlen got the message about watching and learning from Warcraft. From now on I predict he will be outside Blizzard headquarters shaking down Chris Metzen and Greg Street for ideas and pot. Playing world of warcraft and making world of warcraft are two entirely different things. When you understand this, you'll understand why some crap is mising.

OP, if a game launched with everything that is being whined about then people would complain (and they still do already) that this game is exactly like xyz game.

Really, the developers cant win, they are coming out with the LFG tool and I am sure when they do we will see a number of threads about how bad it is, how good it is, how it is like another game, etc, etc.

People also believe that every game that comes out now should have everything in it that xyz game has. Of course if a game does have all of that then it is said to be a copy of that other game. So again its a no-win scenerio.

The bottom line is, if you like playing this game and are willing to wait until they add and fix things then please do so.

True.

People will always have something to complain about but the level of that would be different plus the tolerance for certain missing fetures would be greater.

You'd think EA/Bioware would have the resources to implement similar features as Trion Worlds implemented in Rift.

What you're trying to say is, Rift did a far better job with far fewer resources at releasing a polished game, and then following up with rapid content releases and feature implementations to match people's WoW-clone expectations?

....k, I agree.

The market is pretty competitive for people to be saying "wait be patient just be patient and wait". Other games have features and proven developer attention. It makes FAR more sense to support THIS game based on its strengths. Storytelling, the IP itself, what have you. Saying "just wait it'll be like WoW soon enough" isn't good enough for people who have other options and, rightly, who also don't want to compare this game to a 2004 release.

I'm not saying Rift is a good game. I'm not saying WoW is a good game. I'm not saying TOR is a good game.

But I disagree with yet another "give it time because WoW didn't launch with XYZ features in 2004" thread.

True.

People will always have something to complain about but the level of that would be different plus the tolerance for certain missing fetures would be greater.

Not to mention the *********** bugs that would come with all that ****. One thing I think they would have been smart to have at launch is mods. Mods covered up so much of wows bs over the years it let Blizzard get away with murder. I understand why they didn't though.

I don't care when WoW did what first, other MMOs managed to get released with such features or they were implemented within weeks of the launch.

There were cars before the airback and such things, would you like to buy a new car and wait for years to get all the features other cars get today from the start?

What you're trying to say is, Rift did a far better job with far fewer resources at releasing a polished game, and then following up with rapid content releases and feature implementations to match people's WoW-clone expectations?

....k, I agree.

The market is pretty competitive for people to be saying "wait be patient just be patient and wait". Other games have features and proven developer attention. It makes FAR more sense to support THIS game based on its strengths. Storytelling, the IP itself, what have you. Saying "just wait it'll be like WoW soon enough" isn't good enough for people who have other options and, rightly, who also don't want to compare this game to a 2004 release.

I'm not saying Rift is a good game. I'm not saying WoW is a good game. I'm not saying TOR is a good game.

But I disagree with yet another "give it time because WoW didn't launch with XYZ features in 2004" thread.

So yoiu are saying people should play this game because it has a Star Wars title and it plays more like an rpg than an MMO?

Maybe they should of made it an RPG not an MMO? Ya think?

RIFT launched with

multi spec

full custom UI

Appearance tab

Yeah, and apparently, since that's the be all and end all everything that everyone wants and solved all of Rift's problems, it's precisely why Rift is eating up WoW and SWTOR market share?? Oh wait....

Edited by Blotter

I'm not losing sleep over the lack of these features, but your argument doesn't hold water. It didn't take Blizz two years to develop the LFG, nor did it take them five years to develop dual spec. They developed and implemented both of these features in response to a changing player base. They recognized that more people are playing their mmo in different ways with different habits, and these tools were needed to keep the player base happy.

TOR launched with a player base that expected these types of features (as shown by years worth of posts before the game was even in beta), and BW had plenty of time to develop both of them if they wanted to. So the excuse that "it took WoW years to do it", frankly, is just stupid.

....k, I agree.

From what I understand Rift also released with much less content. Development time must be divided by priority and workload. There's only so much you can do in a certain amount of time. (not bashing either game)

It also looks like most of these important features aren't far down the pipeline. If they weren't slated to be released for many months or another year I think it would be more telling of an undedicated development team.

No, sorry. Games in development have all had the benefit of watching what WoW was doing, and had the full opportunity to lift it pixel for pixel. They knew what players were doing... it was the best user research in the world.

You cannot compare what a 2012 game doesn't have to what a 2004 game didn't have (and subsequently invented). The 2012 game has to step out of the gate as competitive to their CURRENT competition, not that of 7 years ago.

THANK YOU for this! I wish i can just cram down every rabid fanbois throat hahaha

RIFT launched with

multi spec

full custom UI

Appearance tab

And despite all of that, it still choked out. It is doing okay, but not breaking any records. You see, despite how much people harp on it, those features actually don't make the game.

DCUO is another good example of this. Had LFG at launch, had appearance at launch with full color customization, had duos, hardmode, hardermodes, and several raids and yet it really died quick.

Here's some perspective:

pa•tience

   [pey-shuhns]

noun

Let me turn this around.

Rift had LFG from the start of the game.

Rift had dual spec from the start of the game.

If you compare a 200million dollar game released in 2012 (more or less) you are quite ignorant and narrow-minded your self.

This is the worlds most expencive game EVER released.

This is the worlds BIGGEST mmo release.

This game has the worlds one of the BIGGEST media name behind it. Star Wars.

You can NOT defend how much stuff this games are missing. There is no good reason why it should not have been in the game from the start.

Rift was made with 50 million dollar, ToR used 200million.

Rift used 5 years in the making, ToR used 6 years.

This game is the BEHEMOTH of ALL MMO EVER RELEASED!!!!!!!! and still a "indigame" can beat this behemoth when it comes to MMO content and stuff.

Like UI. ToR has one of the worst UI's ever made. They are changing it now yes, but that is just way to late. This was an issue alredy in early beta. Only FF and DCUO had worse. This game dont even have a /roll system.

You cant even open your guild window and rightclick guild members to invite them to a group or whisper them. you can that a fantastic MMO system? The most expencive game ever released? Even 2 month after release you have more or less nothing new. All they did with the patch was adding somethng that alredy should have been in at release.

There is only one thing that made this and it was way to early release. The game would need 1/2 a year still in the making.

Remove ALL that has to do with story, and voice acting, what are you left with then? An "ok" singel-player game with co-op option. Eccept from the story, there is nothing in the game that makes the game the behemoth it should be. Nothing. The game has not 1 good MMO part that is better then any other game out there.

"It is Star Wars", only a bloodhard fan uses that as an excuse.

And despite all of that, it still choked out. It is doing okay, but not breaking any records. You see, despite how much people harp on it, those features actually don't make the game.

DCUO is another good example of this. Had LFG at launch, had appearance at launch with full color customization, had duos, hardmode, hardermodes, and several raids and yet it really died quick.

QOL features are not what causes people to sub or unsub from the game. IF people have fun they stay subbed. That's it. Everything else is frosting on the cake.