Beginners Guide to Guardian Tanking by Camarius

camarius

Feel free to comment or submit anything you think should be added and I will research it and add if its worth it... This is got the community and id like it to be the consensus of that community also Edited by camarius

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just changed my DPS guardian skills to a Tank skill tree, suggested in this post. I also tougth that I would change my item mods and earn like 1000hp more. But then, I figure that the item mods for DPS are the same for Tank, like... they all guive endurance and strenght So, the only thing I changed was my LS collor cristal from a +crit. hit to a +endurance.

So.. how does a tank gets thousands mor HP than a DPS guardian?

There's one thing I see that seems vastly inaccurate...

Momentum

3 Points

Passive

Force Leap and Zealous Leap have a 33/66/100% chance to make the next Challenging Call activated cost no Focus.

Good when leveling but not an endgame tanking talent imo. Force Leap gets used only once on most boss fights. In a 6 minute fight you are spending 3 talent points for 0.5 Focus points extra per minute. At the moment I add one point as a filler to get to tier 2, but if you like a free "call" every charge then take all 3.

Challenging Call is incorrect, the tooltip (and my experience while leveling) says Blade Storm. I think this also alters your strategy, as it allows you to activate BS without a cost and sooner, since you don't have to wait for Courage to build. That and Challenging Call is already free if I'm not mistaken :p:D

I'm really enjoying the read though. +1 for sticky request!

Edited by Senkyoka

I just changed my DPS guardian skills to a Tank skill tree, suggested in this post. I also tougth that I would change my item mods and earn like 1000hp more. But then, I figure that the item mods for DPS are the same for Tank, like... they all guive endurance and strenght So, the only thing I changed was my LS collor cristal from a +crit. hit to a +endurance.

You will find yourself with more health as you start gearing with the right equipment mods (or right tanking gear) the following is an example of the "Mod" you can have in both your weapon and armor... but remember there is more than just that one you can add. there are enhancements, hilts, color crystals (like you did already), armoring, and mods

A dps one:

Advanced Might Mod 10

Total Stats:

Armor Rating 72

+20 Strength

+8 Endurance

Requires Level 25

A tanking one:

Advanced Guardian Mod 10

Total Stats:

Armor Rating 72

+14 Strength

+15 Endurance

Requires Level 25

hope that helped

( edited in real mods for the example )

Edited by camarius

There's one thing I see that seems vastly inaccurate...

Challenging Call is incorrect, the tooltip (and my experience while leveling) says Blade Storm. I think this also alters your strategy, as it allows you to activate BS without a cost and sooner, since you don't have to wait for Courage to build. That and Challenging Call is already free if I'm not mistaken :p:D

I'm really enjoying the read though. +1 for sticky request!

Thank you, you are right my tooltip is wrong and on the to do list... Keep scanning in case I missed more! /salute

Edited by camarius
Fixed it for you!!

Which is the “best” tank class?

In truth there is no overall “best” tank. Each of the 3 tank classes has their strengths and weaknesses. The Guardian is best at single target threat and avoidance, while the Trooper excels at AoE threat and shielding and the Shadow is in the middle of both. What’s important is which style of play you prefer and to a lesser extent that classes story. If you are finding the lack of AoE threat on your Guardian to be a big issue there are steps you can take to help minimize this. See later question in the FAQs with regards to this issue.

This is complete and utter nonsense. Every endgame guild knows that vanguards/shadows do more single target dps than a guardian. In fact the single target threat descrepancy between guardians and vanguard/shadows is HUGE.

Vanguards/shadows do roughly 30-40% more single target threat/dps than a guardian tank. Saying tank guardians do more single target damage than vanguards/shadows is probably one of the more ignorant statements I've seen in a long time.

(On the side note, guardians do have more "emergency" cooldowns, which is the only reason why guardians kinda viable)

Also I'm quite disappointed that no mention of vigilance tanking 14/27/0. I know endgame nightmare operation clearing guilds where many of their guardian tanks switched to vigilance tanking due to the absymal threat/single target generation of defense tree, also a tank not pulling their weight in dps in many fights where the boss enrage is a useless tank. (maybe write a guide for 14/27/0 vigilance tanking as an expansion to your guide?)

Edited by AndantePhist

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#500dMGMurrouRZhMMZM.1

i wanted to use this build. as i noticed, stasis is no longer channeled and it's a great threat and focus builder (because you can both use stasis and attack at the same time). my goal was to use master strike along with force stasis so it won't get interrupted (even with mobs you can't really suspend it's a good habit to make). i decreased my pacification as it only increases damage of 3 skills (hilt strike i barely use, as i see it only as a threat generator, so actualy 2). anyway strenght will benefit all of my skills so i see no point in going pacification over strengts increasement. i took out defiance completely as i see no point in assuming you're going to get knocked down or slept, in my opinion, tank should think about any type of fights and be very flexible and puting two points in a skill you will use only in some fights, well, that's not flexible for me. instead i've put those points in master focus for faster stasis cd reduction which in my opinion should be main focus builder along with combat focus.

my rotation for now is blade storm, riposte < as quick as possible for damage reduction and then just use combat focus and pound with slash if it's a single target or cyclone if it's group of mobs (for faster combat focus cd reduction). in the mean time, use sweep and stasis if you run out of focus. soundering strike + guardian slash if your skills are on cd and that's pretty much it. if you're in a party, you might want to use soundering more often to stack armor reduction but that's after everyone in the party runs out of "mana" so you won't loose your agro at the start.

anyway, tell me what you think guys.

oh, and btw. i also noticed pve armors got +20% blade barrier absorb boost, and it really helps a lot to have this. i noticed big difference.

Edited by Carousel_t

I'm starting my new guardian and I'm curious as to how effective is this guide for leveling and FPs since for the most part the guide recommend going full Defense. From what I heard a hybird of Defense is preferable? If any experienced guardian can shed some light on this it would be most appreciated. Edited by Kexin

I'm starting my new guardian and I'm curious as to how effective is this guide for leveling and FPs since for the most part the guide recommend going full Defense. From what I heard a hybird of Defense is preferable? If any experienced guardian can shed some light on this it would be most appreciated.

Go defense after you're 50 and save yourself a lot of trouble. It's very slow to level up with defense guardian. Yes, a hybrid is a lot better than fully defensive build WHILE leveling up. Actualy, all fps before 50, you can tank with hybrid or even vigi spec, just remember to get cheaper riposte and blade barricade which will help you in agro, mitigation and obviously damage dealt since it's usable with other skills. Normal, defense tree guardians are really slow at killing monsters, i'd wait with that at least untill you get Doc, because then you can tank most H2+ and some H4 if you're properly geared. For level 50 fps and ops, i'd really go with my skills build since you won't be jumping all that much, neither will you get stunned. Better put those points in faster focus building ability cd which is stasis which btw also builds your agro and makes some damage, and also it is possible to attack while stasis is channeled (with stasis mastery), plus, you're getting some accuracy decrease on enemies side (comes in handy when your teammates get agro) plus, it seriously takes everything you and your party can dish out to get bosses like soa down to zero on hardmode 16s. You will, however, benefit from unremeting and momentum the most if you're looking for storyline and normal/strong mobs. Everything else you need to know, you'll find out either from this here, or other guides. There are plenty but none explains guardian's mechanics better than learning by playing.

I'm really not writing anything new here, all guardians have already known this since beta I guess :p

Edited by Carousel_t

You get more Health due to your stance in tank spec. also tank gerar has more End.

Good job with it all but you have the max focus you can have as 10. That is incorrect it is 12.

Fixed thank you... Also added to the to do list ... Should be updating more soon... Please continue to remain civil and respectful in your replies

FYI, there's still a mistake in your Blade Barrier entry:

Blade Barrier

2 Points

Passive

Blade Storm has a 50/100% chance to grant Blade Barrier, which absorbs a moderate amount of damage. Lasts 10 seconds.

Turns one of your primary threat builders into a damage shield. Now you have even more reason to spam Challenging Call on CD. Take both points.

Should be Blade Storm.

Edited by dizzyMongoose

FYI, there's still a mistake in your Blade Barrier entry:

Blade Barrier

2 Points

Passive

Blade Storm has a 50/100% chance to grant Blade Barrier, which absorbs a moderate amount of damage. Lasts 10 seconds.

Turns one of your primary threat builders into a damage shield. Now you have even more reason to spam Challenging Call on CD. Take both points.

Should be Blade Storm.

Fixed thank you very much.... when there is an abundance text sometimes little things get lost, good spot

Go defense after you're 50 and save yourself a lot of trouble. It's very slow to level up with defense guardian. Yes, a hybrid is a lot better than fully defensive build WHILE leveling up. Actualy, all fps before 50, you can tank with hybrid or even vigi spec, just remember to get cheaper riposte and blade barricade which will help you in agro, mitigation and obviously damage dealt since it's usable with other skills. Normal, defense tree guardians are really slow at killing monsters, i'd wait with that at least untill you get Doc, because then you can tank most H2+ and some H4 if you're properly geared. For level 50 fps and ops, i'd really go with my skills build since you won't be jumping all that much, neither will you get stunned. Better put those points in faster focus building ability cd which is stasis which btw also builds your agro and makes some damage, and also it is possible to attack while stasis is channeled (with stasis mastery), plus, you're getting some accuracy decrease on enemies side (comes in handy when your teammates get agro) plus, it seriously takes everything you and your party can dish out to get bosses like soa down to zero on hardmode 16s. You will, however, benefit from unremeting and momentum the most if you're looking for storyline and normal/strong mobs. Everything else you need to know, you'll find out either from this here, or other guides. There are plenty but none explains guardian's mechanics better than learning by playing.

I'm really not writing anything new here, all guardians have already known this since beta I guess :p

Stick to Defense as you're levelling up, because the Hybrid doesn't come into its own until level ~level 45, and doesn't become absolutely superior until 50, when we get Guardian Leap.

By contrast, levelling as Defense with Kira or Doc is a quick and easy breeze.

You've got some serious problems if you're relying on stasis for its focus.

Edited by clearsighted

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well done on the guide, very well presented. I dont really agree with any of your builds though, but it will all need an overhaul with 1.2 on its way, so waiting for that to land before I'll post my preferred build.

My two cents are as follows: maybe I missed it, but there is no mention of accuracy as a stat to stack also? Considering accuracy = greater chance to hit (even lowering the targets defence when over 100%) I would consider it relevant to our dps and therefore threat? Also with 1.2 on the horizon, you can pretty well remove command from the mandatory list of talents.

Edited by Hahnz