Which plot did you find more engaging? (Warning potential spoilers)

Lunafox

Like the title says, which plotline did you prefer, Imperial or Republic or elements of each?

If you care to elaborate why you liked one more than the other, kindly use spoiler tags to protect anyone who might venture in accidentally. :o

I think I preferred the Republic plot myself.

Favorite part the Theron hug! :D

I enjoyed meeting Gnost-Dural, and there seemed to be more story that we didn't get to explore going on behind the scenes with Tal. I liked being the sneaky saboteur, though I wish they would've found a more interesting or engaging quest giver than the Black Talon droid for Imperial sympathizers.

Also, a large part of why I liked the Republic storyline better is because we got Doc back and even though I'm not a big fan of JC, it was nice to see Nadia (I liked her hair), it suited her, I thought. (And Doc's trousers were rather good too lol). :cool:

I just wish I would've felt like I was doing more for the Empire, like I was supposed to be doing, I felt like I was making more progress for the Republic.

Ossus is a beautiful planet, I liked being there and the quests look like something I can stick with for a while.

Edited by Lunafox

I haven't finished the empire story yet and I may never do the republic, so I can't quite answer your question. But I have to admit that I felt giddy at the beginning while talking to Lana, after picking empire and we were like our old selves. When Theron piped in I actually felt like whoops! Did Theron hear all that? Lana and I fangirling over sithy things? :)

I haven't finished the empire story yet and I may never do the republic, so I can't quite answer your question. But I have to admit that I felt giddy at the beginning while talking to Lana, after picking empire and we were like our old selves. When Theron piped in I actually felt like whoops! Did Theron hear all that? Lana and I fangirling over sithy things? :)

That's awesome. I was actually nervous. Nervous. Who gets nervous when starting to play a game? :o

I found the empire storyline had diferent tones. Malora is irritating, not so much the personality as the extra noise over the voice over. When she was given a new problem to solve, Malgus stepped in with his no nonsense approach and the quality of the play was alot better. i found Malgus reaction to when the emperor/empress mentions his next assignment rather telling, he looked like he was horrified about what is coming next for him.

The jedi storyline was the same dull affair it has always been, help out innocents and a struggling jedi trying to find her center. some appearances from Archiban Kimble and Nadia Grell help keep the storyline from becoming stale. same monotious tone as you'd expect from Jedi.

Edited by Celise

I found the empire storyline had diferent tones. Malora is irritating, not so much the personality as the extra noise over the voice over. When she was given a new problem to solve, Malgus stepped in with his no nonsense approach and the quality of the play was alot better. i found Malgus reaction to when the emperor/empress mentions his next assignment rather telling, he looked like he was horrified about what is coming next for him.

The jedi storyline was the same dull affair it has always been, help out innocents and a struggling jedi trying to find her center. some appearances from Archiban Kimble and Nadia Grell help keep the storyline from becoming stale. same monotious tone as you'd expect from Jedi.

I did find her voice augment to be annoying as well. It was louder than the rest of the sounds for me, and shrill. Although I hate Malgus and wished he'd stayed dead he was a calmer voice to play with, which I preferred. He did look a bit astonished about his next assignment. It almost makes me wonder if Acina doesn't have some kind of 'Sleepy Hollow' deal with him, like the woman who controlled the horseman in the Tim Burton movie. I do think seeing Doc and Nadia as part of the chapter really helped it along. I guess if you play it like a straight-shooter goody goody Jedi, it would get a bit dull. I liked feeling a bit evil, I just wanted more of that feeling lol.

The Imperial storyline was much more interesting. I'm not thrilled that they pulled yet another resurrection card from the deck (*sigh*), but might as well make the best of it, and Malgus was interesting in the way he presented himself. I couldn't stand Malora, but I definitely enjoyed that my Sith Inquisitor could lay into her pretty good about being weak. I know someone said that Malora became a recruitable companion, but that never happened for me...which is fine, because I guess my SI was just mean enough to her.

I also really liked that my character stood up to Malgus, wouldn't bow to him, and THE SNARK. I loved that she could give him all the snark. I also enjoyed the bit of fangirling going around with the troops. I'm not sure if all Imperial classes got it, but it meant a bit more for the SI knowing that she was a Dark Councilor before too. There was some political talk with the Major that was interesting.

The only thing that really bugged me was that our contact was a droid, while the Republic side gets Jonas. It just felt like that even though our characters are OMG SO IMPORTANT, we were given a droid. Like Acina couldn't even be bothered to send someone worthy of our time. But we're so important and equals...being leaders of our own faction and all. She should be kissing our patooties...you know, considering we still control Iokath and all those droid factories, and our assistance is the only thing that's going to give them enough of an edge to win the war. Malgus was the only one that felt genuine in his treatment of an equal. (Again, I'm not sure if that plays true for someone who isn't a Sith.) It also bugged me in the end when the Sith Inquisitor (or any character, I'm assuming) is like "I'm here to serve, Empress..." NO YOU'RE NOT! You were an Empress yourself, Lelu! Don't show your belly to her! She's only there because she was literally the last one standing. Where was the pattootie-kissing Acina from the KOTET storyline?

Oh, yes...and I forgot about Pyron. That felt like a burn for my SI.

I just hope that there's more development later about my more political SI getting involved again. And there's no way she's going back to being a peon. I'm looking forward to learning more about what's going on with Malgus (that look of fear in his eyes stuck with me)...and I'm almost wondering if he's going to be a victim in the end. Acina kinda feels...different...like I'm wondering if she's going to be a big baddie at some point.

Edited by Dracofish

I did imperial twice, once as saboteur on my neutral bounty hunter once as loyalist on my LS sith warrior. The companion return was well done for LS. The storyline was short but sweet and VERY well done. I thought they handled the saboteur part very well for my character who had sided with the republic on iokath and nathema. its all up on my youtube channel if anyone doesn't want to play the imp side twice
  • Like 1

I found the Republic story more even in terms of consistent quality from start to finish, and I liked the cast of supporting characters a bit more on the Republic side. But in the Empire story, once we got to rampaging around with Malgus as our companion, it shot right to the top. And I wouldn't be remotely close to a sith fangirl or anything - his character's just intense and reconnects us to all that original SWTOR quality. Edited by Estelindis

There you are my thread! *catches* Found you! :o

I played through both sides, but my favorite has to be the Empire, just for the one line by Theron concerning his hair. I can't remember all of it, but I almost had a heart attack I laughed so hard and couldn't stop. :-)

That was a cute comment lol. :)

The Imperial storyline was much more interesting. I'm not thrilled that they pulled yet another resurrection card from the deck (*sigh*), but might as well make the best of it, and Malgus was interesting in the way he presented himself. I couldn't stand Malora, but I definitely enjoyed that my Sith Inquisitor could lay into her pretty good about being weak. I know someone said that Malora became a recruitable companion, but that never happened for me...which is fine, because I guess my SI was just mean enough to her.

I also really liked that my character stood up to Malgus, wouldn't bow to him, and THE SNARK. I loved that she could give him all the snark. I also enjoyed the bit of fangirling going around with the troops. I'm not sure if all Imperial classes got it, but it meant a bit more for the SI knowing that she was a Dark Councilor before too. There was some political talk with the Major that was interesting.

The only thing that really bugged me was that our contact was a droid, while the Republic side gets Jonas. It just felt like that even though our characters are OMG SO IMPORTANT, we were given a droid. Like Acina couldn't even be bothered to send someone worthy of our time. But we're so important and equals...being leaders of our own faction and all. She should be kissing our patooties...you know, considering we still control Iokath and all those droid factories, and our assistance is the only thing that's going to give them enough of an edge to win the war. Malgus was the only one that felt genuine in his treatment of an equal. (Again, I'm not sure if that plays true for someone who isn't a Sith.) It also bugged me in the end when the Sith Inquisitor (or any character, I'm assuming) is like "I'm here to serve, Empress..." NO YOU'RE NOT! You were an Empress yourself, Lelu! Don't show your belly to her! She's only there because she was literally the last one standing. Where was the pattootie-kissing Acina from the KOTET storyline?

Oh, yes...and I forgot about Pyron. That felt like a burn for my SI.

I just hope that there's more development later about my more political SI getting involved again. And there's no way she's going back to being a peon. I'm looking forward to learning more about what's going on with Malgus (that look of fear in his eyes stuck with me)...and I'm almost wondering if he's going to be a victim in the end. Acina kinda feels...different...like I'm wondering if she's going to be a big baddie at some point.

I agree about the resurrection card. If they're going to do stuff like that, I hope they figure out a way to bring back my beloved Darth Marr. I would've rather he be the one brought back, I'm pretty sure our toons quite thoroughly killed Malgus. :rolleyes:

I didn't like Malora either, her voice mostly, it was screechy and was coming across louder than all the other dialogue which made it either annoying if I left the volume up, or a nuisance if I had to keep adjusting it. Anyway, bug under my boot lol, problem solved.

My character didn't bow or scrape to Malgus either. She was defiant as well. And yes, to me it was dreadful that Imp Symps were made to deal with the stupid droid. We should've gotten someone more compelling and maybe get a flirt in or two. I did part of the Republic symp story tonight and Jonas Balkar is awesome. Love him.

Edited by Lunafox

I did imperial twice, once as saboteur on my neutral bounty hunter once as loyalist on my LS sith warrior. The companion return was well done for LS. The storyline was short but sweet and VERY well done. I thought they handled the saboteur part very well for my character who had sided with the republic on iokath and nathema. its all up on my youtube channel if anyone doesn't want to play the imp side twice

I had my dark side Jaesa returned and I agree with you, it was well done, it seems both aspects of her being were properly done and her VA did a nice job. :)

I found the Republic story more even in terms of consistent quality from start to finish, and I liked the cast of supporting characters a bit more on the Republic side. But in the Empire story once, we got to rampaging around with Malgus as our companion, it shot right to the top. And I wouldn't be remotely close to a sith fangirl or anything - his character's just intense and reconnects us to all that original SWTOR quality.

I think the Republic side story this time had more care and quality to it this time as well. I usually favor anything Imperial more, but yeah, the pub side story this time was great. Liked the characters and having Jonas as the Rep Symp contact was so much better than the darn droid Imp Symps get.

I might've enjoyed Imp side more if it wasn't Malgus, I've never understood the attraction to him, I suppose he's compelling in his own way, he just fails to reach me, so I wasn't that excited about him. I had more fun dissing him than anything else lol.

Running another Republic toon up for the rep-side sabotage feel side, so far not a fan of any resurrected characters and the Empire is now just the Republic in costume. We've had multiple non-human officers etc in the class stories, but all were far more professional then that ridiculous one we went through Imp-side with. ugh. Especially with the insulting and gossip of the Dark Councillor... to a Sith.. I mean, c'mon. Death wish much? No idea how she's still alive.

Give me the real, professional Empire, please, if i'm forced to hang out with Imps again.

So far I don't have a preferred, they've been alright in half of it, questionable in the other half overall. That said- many points are taken off Imp side for incompetent Dark Council member, resurrection card, killing/imprisoning my favourite Jedi character of this era, and wanna-be-republic officer.

My thoughts have been:

Imperial sabotage

I did this one on a Sith Warrior. I have too many of those so they're my Imperial story testers. My Sith Warrior had been doing this sort of thing, but not officially, for pretty much her entire class story. take a prisoner, instead of killing. Mess up Imperial efforts just because, sympathetic to republic, quite a traitor her entire class story really. This was a nice little addition to that dossier. She's used to doing little things like that, hiding her true self from everyone etc. Comes naturally now so this little sabotage plot line so far worked very well for her. Especially that little smirk when uploading the farm data <3 .

Plus she was still able to be herself again and get on everyone's bad sides, challenging them verbally and generally getting into the taunts.

Other then the whole Reps in Costume gripe, no issues with it. It was quick, to the point and I enjoyed talking to Jonas. I did realize Jonas flirts twice if your character ignores it/doesn't respond in flirt, and only once if she does. I kinda liked that, he kept trying xD

Imperial loyalist

Also done on a Sith Warrior, one that was Empire the entire way through. She was tough, taunting, and all round grumpy at everything. It was wonderful (again, other then my gripe about Imp not feeling like Imps at all).

Same thoughts as above minus the traitor background and "lighter" class story chocies taken to make that fit.

I do very much wonder who the droid contact works for, as I have this sneaky suspicion that it is not Acina or Vowran but someone else entirely. Guess it would be too much to hope for a new sneaky "big bad" in the shadows however but that's my theory, there's another major player on the Imperial side.

I'll get republic loyalist thoughts out in next post. My attention is needed elsewhere all of a sudden :(

Edited by Asmodesu

Yeah Malora was strange, I taunted her (and Malgus both) a lot at the beginning, seemed kind of pathetic to me that these two are the best the Empire can do. But after she got knocked off the cliff, and survived! I laid off her a little. I was impressed with how dedicated she was to her research.

I'm looking forward to seeing just what exactly Acina is doing to Malgus to keep him in her pocket the way she did. In any case, I'm glad I got my huband out of her clutches because I happen to have a very dirty mind sometimes :o

Edited by grania

First thing first, I wouldn't call this a story. An intro to a story, perhaps, with breadcrumbs here and there (it's obvious that whoever controls Darth Zombie will have it backfired and that's a good plot for an expansion if there's any).

What I really loved is this story-intro's unepicness. After the string of horribly overhyped "The most dangerous persons in the Galaxy OMG!!!!" who all went down like chumps it's really refreshing to find that a bunch of Jedi recluses are growing space potatoes somewhere in the fringe of Galaxy and then the Big Bad Empire arrives to kick their crops in. :D 'sides, famine actually is a foe more dangerous than the conga line of losers the Outlanders trampled on their way here -- you cannot kill it with a lightsaber for starters.

For the Empire run I was all ready to be as mean as possible, but I found almost everyone surprisingly...likeable? Or at very least not annoying. I liked the blunt Major Anri -- with someone like her there's still hope Empire's Muggles will eventually teach those idiot tantrum-throwing Sithwizards a lesson or two in humility. Then, Malora. I expected her to be a raging imbecile like Thana Vesh, but she's just a Mad Scientist! I cannot help but like Mad Scientists so I offered her a job. :D Couldn't kill Master Gnost-Dural either because I also love old bookish scribes, so the only mean thing I did was being rude to Darth Zombie and even that was hilarious. :D

I still preferred Republic storyline though, mostly because I found both Jedi horticulturalists as a group and terse, pragmatic Jedi warrior as an individual rather refreshing. I really liked Tau; now if only she didn't look so disappointed with me in that splash screen...seriously, that disapproving glare makes me feel so guilty about playing games (and not calling my mum).

There's also this nice reoccurring motif of Empire's problems being mostly self-inflicted: the Jedi were quite happy on that backwards planet just with their books and agriculture research, but Empire had to run them down, and lo behold, the first pissed-off Jedi volunteers to fight the Empire again. :D

And now to wait for initial rush to die down so I could farm in peace that multitude of lovely decorations to contribute to my network of Tacky Strongholds of Bad Taste. :D

Just finished an Empire playthrough.

I have to say, the Republic side was MUCH more interesting and flowed better. I felt the Empire side was a bit clunky with its presentation, and the story didn't flow nearly as well as on the pub side.

This is mostly because of the motivations for each side. On Republic, it's a story of survival and renewal. This is reflected in the interactions between Tau and Gnost-Dural. (Also, GNOST-DURAL!!!). You are trying to rebuild an ancient order and reconnect with your home faction. And you are trying to defend it from an aggressor who just wants to see you dead.

That's the problem with imp side. It's never really explained why you are trying to kill the Jedi. Just that they are Jedi, you are Sith or imperial, so they need to go.

Malora, despite the fact that she's somewhat annoying, at least has a reason for being there. She finds the Geonosians fascinating and wants to experiment on them. This is annoying her bosses who think she's wasting her time doing that, but at least she has reasons for doing what she's doing.

In other words, for pubs it's about survival and perseverance. For imps it's "KILL, KILL,KILL! Also, steal their food!" Was very much lacking on the substance. I also wasn't a big fan of how they handled the reveal of a certain character, or that charact'er's treatment by Acina.

I have to say, definitely the Republic version. The fact that they had a group of characters that interacted more made a big difference.

I thought Tau Idair was a pretty great character, and she has a surprisingly well developed relationship with Master Gnost-Dural. Plus they both directly interact with Nadia and Doc, reminding us that they are a real team of people involved in the story. I'm looking forward to seeing more of her in the future. Major Anri was fine, but I can't say the same about her. This seems like the type of thing that might have been helped if Khem Val or Jaesa were in the Imperial Base like Nadia and Doc were for the Republic. Slaughtering Jedi does seem exactly like both of their favorite pastimes.

But Dark Jaesa's reunion was clearly designed to be set before the Nathema Conspiracy, and they didn't want to change it.

• 1 month later...

Rep side.

Tau and Gnost-dural were both good new additions I thought. The story wasn't amazing but it did its job. The reps had a very clear objective and motivation. I didn't get that feeling with the Empire at all. For the Empire, it felt like the story was a bit all over the place. I mean, Malgus returned in a box..? And whilst Malora had a long monologue about how she'd fix her little bugs his coffin opened and she was pushed off the scaffolding. Felt more like comedy than a serious moment. Meanwhile, on rep side we had this first moment where a character actually ponders over the death of nameless NPCs. It was more serious and nuanced.

My biggest issue with the Imperial storyline is that you, the player, get credit for something the major tells you to do. it was her idea, but Acina is all like "you shortsighted fool Malgus, why can't you be more like the commander who has all this cleverness and wit?" ... felt so stupid (referring to the side-plot where the player sends farming data to the Empire; in this side-plot you have ZERO agency but the game keeps telling you that the Empire appreciates your effort!).

Edited by Majspuffen