Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Swtor put on a backburner


Darth-Obvious's Avatar


Darth-Obvious
11.19.2019 , 05:36 PM | #31
Just to be clear, whenever a game like Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Anthem, or anything else Bioware does has multiplayer features, Bioware Austin is always involved, or more specifically they are pulled away from SWTOR to help out. It's been that way for years now (unfortunately) because Bioware Austin are seen as "the multiplayer guys" as a result of them being the studio responsible for a multiplayer focused game.

Quote: Originally Posted by Collec View Post
How many times have we heard "this game doesn't have enough manpower,bla bla bla" . It does have it...it's just that is working on other stuff, because STAR WARS is keeping this thing running.
No, that isn't the case. SWTOR was developed with on a budget of somewhere between 100 to 300 million dollars, with a staff of over 200 people working on the game. Since SWTOR launched Bioware Austin has multiple rounds of layoffs & they don't have anywhere close to the amount of money they had to work with during development.

If what you're saying were true Bioware Austin could continue things on the same scope & scale as the vanilla game (Class Stories, etc) if they weren't working on other projects, but in the 8 years since SWTOR has launced we've had/seen time periods where Bioware Austin wasn't helping out with other projects & it was still clear then as it is now that they simply don't have the resources to put out content at either the frequency or scope/scale that people expect from the game.

Even if the entirety of Bioware Austin was focused on SWTOR they still wouldn't be able to put out on expansion like what WoW, ESO, or FF14 put out.

SWTOR was designed as if it would continue onward with significantly sized content updates & expansions. We also know that they originally planned to continue onwards with things like Class Stories, but after the game going F2P, & Bioware Austin having multiple rounds of layoffs those sort of things were no longer possible, so what we & they (Bioware Austin) were left with was a game that was super expensive to develop for that lacked the resources required to continue it the way both the devs & players expected it to continue.

lukeisjedi's Avatar


lukeisjedi
11.19.2019 , 06:18 PM | #32
Are we going to get constant updates? Probably not but the game isn't going anywhere for a while. We will still get new content and the game will survive at least a few more years. I don't see it going away for quite a while as it is still profitable.

red_onion's Avatar


red_onion
11.19.2019 , 08:06 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
Then you haven't read the latest article about EA in which the company speaks how satisfied and happy it is with how well SWTOR is doing revenue wise. They released that the game has already made over 1 billion dollars in revenue for EA. You're basing your point of view on conjecture, but the factual evidence is completely different.

Here's what I am talking about: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/hu.../1100-6471011/
I'd love to see a graph mapping the profits from launch until now. Yes, it's cool that they made over 1 billion over the life of this game... I imagine that the growth rate is much much smaller now. So, unless you have a link that shows a spike in profits over the last two years, those numbers don't mean much to me.

Ner_idia's Avatar


Ner_idia
11.19.2019 , 08:34 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
Oh because Unsubbing is such a smart idea, because it won't send the completely the wrong message to Bioware's overlords at EA .
i haven't read the entire thread but I'm going to respond only to this.

It's been made clear that the only thing that EA/Bioware listen to is the dollar. They were told over and over on PTS about the changes that were planned for 6.0; what was wrong from the consumer (yes, that's us) perspective and how the community would respond to them. Unsurprisingly, the play-testers were ignored, and we're very likely going to end up doing a repeat of what happened to 5.0; it's going to take a lot of people taking their gaming money elsewhere to get the point across.

You can also turn it around and say that by remaining subscribed that you approve of all the changes that have been made.

Elessara's Avatar


Elessara
11.19.2019 , 08:53 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by FlameYOL View Post
quick, hide your pets, protect your companions, safeguard your possessions! The end is nigh, the end is near. The apocalypse. The end. It is upon us! Save yourselves!
Doom! Doom! DOOM!!!!!

TrixxieTriss's Avatar


TrixxieTriss
11.19.2019 , 11:36 PM | #36
Anyone else feel they’ve already moved a bunch of people over to Anthem again??

Bioware have basically been AFK on bug fixes and problems since 6.0 launched.

Somethings that are priorities seem to be taking longer than a similar fix took on the pts. (Days-week is now Weeks-a Month)

Of course I may be wrong. But my impression is they all went on holidays for 4 weeks and left a skeleton crew or Bioware moved most of them over to Anthem again.

Makes me feel like the swtor expansion and all the “unnecessary” changes were a training ground for those people and an experiment/testing platform to see what they should do in Anthem. (I hope I’m wrong, but Musco being mostly silent for 4 weeks and Bioware ignoring player problems, bugs and bad design, has me looking for answers)

TrixxieTriss's Avatar


TrixxieTriss
11.19.2019 , 11:50 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by red_onion View Post
I'd love to see a graph mapping the profits from launch until now. Yes, it's cool that they made over 1 billion over the life of this game... I imagine that the growth rate is much much smaller now. So, unless you have a link that shows a spike in profits over the last two years, those numbers don't mean much to me.
Blizzard made a billion dollars the year WoW launched. It’s taken swtor 8 years.
Now imagine how much WoW has made in 15 years, even with its decline in player numbers and popularity, it still makes more money in a week than swtor makes in a year.

That’s why we get expansions like this. Bioware don’t charge for them and EA only care about the income, not reinvesting enough to expand the player base (or even keep the current player base).
They just look at profit over income. As long as their profit % is in line, they are happy. The way they achieve this is to continually cut costs to the game.
We will see only see EA change their opinion the game keeps giving when the game drops below their profit percentages. At which time, EA will try and cut costs more or shutter the game.

Until then, it will be business as usual. We will get the bare minimum of development compared to what other AAA games do and player experiences will continue to decline and expectations will continue to be shattered till we have none, except, “look, the lights are still on, so the game isn’t shutting anytime soon”.

BelorfinSiana's Avatar


BelorfinSiana
11.20.2019 , 12:49 AM | #38
At the moment, I couldn't re-sub even if I wanted to. The 60-day time from Amazon is gone for some reason, and my bank is taking forever to send me a new debit card, so... when this is up, that's it for me. Does anybody know why Amazon no longer has a 60-day time code?
The Siana Legacy - Star Forge
Isharo Izark; Jorran Reynn; Aldo Fetmirna; Zelorfin; Valurin Raster; Mechinus; Belorfin (Siana); Lucîan

SerraShar's Avatar


SerraShar
11.20.2019 , 01:07 AM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by BelorfinSiana View Post
At the moment, I couldn't re-sub even if I wanted to. The 60-day time from Amazon is gone for some reason, and my bank is taking forever to send me a new debit card, so... when this is up, that's it for me. Does anybody know why Amazon no longer has a 60-day time code?
You can buy pre-paid Master card, they work the same as those 60-day Time card. You just buy the 60Day directly from the website instead .
Balance in All Things
Andraste and the Maker want you to click referral linkhttp://www.swtor.com/r/fsSTHy
You know, if I could click you, you wouldn’t know a moment’s peace!

Transcendent's Avatar


Transcendent
11.20.2019 , 01:08 AM | #40
Oh, it's one of these threads.

If you're referring to this article (the author is generally quite accurate);

https://www.kotaku.co.uk/2019/11/15/...aul-for-anthem

Then you'll have pulled out this relevant part;

Quote:
Right now, dozens if not hundreds of developers at both of BioWare’s offices – in Austin, Texas and Edmonton, Alberta, Canada – are quietly working on plans to overhaul the game.
.

OP is making the assumption that developers from only BioWare's Austin studios are working on rebuilding Anthem, that isn't what is being reported. Does it mean less developers for this game? Does anyone know the structure of the studio and which developers work on which titles? Probably not.

Anyway, if Anthem is going to be saved, BioWare need to learn to listen to the players. With all the changes they made since Anthem launched, they still haven't done that, look where it's lead to date. Failure.
REFERRAL LINK - Previous subscribers get seven days of subscription, one Complimentary Character Transfer (and more unlocks) - New players get a Jumpstart bundle with unlocks, for free!- Literally the small print