Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why we need a legacy ignore


Phazonfreak's Avatar


Phazonfreak
08.17.2019 , 01:46 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Jdast View Post
Fair enough. But in a PuG setting, I'm talking about the following scenario...

I'm healing EdgeLord Sith who keeps screaming "Go, go, go" in a FP. They stand in the middle of the fire and scream at the healer (me) about why I didn't save their butt.

Next day, they are on SuperTrooper Commando and scream "Go, go, go" in a FP. They stand in the middle of the fire and scream at the healer (me) about why I didn't save their butt.

I would prefer to deal with that person only once. One and done...

<<which is not going the be case with the second martini I'm about to imbibe>>

Dasty

P.S. I understand your point, but also appreciate you understanding the broader harassment point -- fortunately -- something I've never been subject to in games. I guess maybe I'm just selfish and hate dealing with morons.
I think I made it pretty clear that I understand the broader harassment point and why there is a strong argument for it. If it boils down to outright harassment, there are ways and means to address it without offering everyone a legacy ban option and BioWare should be diligant in their fight to stop it. I was just trying to explain why BioWare might not jump on the overall legacy ignore bandwagon so willingly due to not liking how someone else plays the game, because there is also another broader group building point to consider.

I know that there are other MMOs with this feature and it is nice to have. Those MMOs either boast a much larger population where account ignores are not affecting other mechanics negatively or they differ considerably in their core mechanics. There have also been other forum posts recently calling for either a penalty for players canceling group finder pops or adding the option to see who canceled it to put them on the ignore list.

We could do all that and give each player the option to ignore everyone else in this game for whatever reason and put the penalty hammer down. We would most certainly get a very nice game. I just want to caution that we might also get a very vacant game with far less interaction and a non-functioning group finder, so that all group content will only be accessible to dedicated guilds.

Tyrloch's Avatar


Tyrloch
08.17.2019 , 02:07 PM | #12
Quote:
...
We could do all that and give each player the option to ignore everyone else in this game for whatever reason and put the penalty hammer down. We would most certainly get a very nice game. I just want to caution that we might also get a very vacant game with far less interaction and a non-functioning group finder, so that all group content will only be accessible to dedicated guilds.
I don't think it would get to that point. McNasty will eventually figure out that he seems to be having a hard time finding teams since so many people are globally ignorring him. If players realize being an a-- on one character adversely effects all of their characters, they will probably moderate their nastiness. Can't just make a throwaway character for when I feel like being a troll, and occasionally replace it when enough people have ignored it.

On the other hand, people who get too happy with the global/Legacy ignore button will also find themselves having trouble finding groups after they have ignored a significant portion of the active population for relitively trivial reasons. That will self limit.

Eventually the chronic trolls and chronic ignorers will find themselves very much alone and maybe moderate their behavior.

IoNonSoEVero's Avatar


IoNonSoEVero
08.17.2019 , 02:31 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Tyrloch View Post
I don't think it would get to that point. McNasty will eventually figure out that he seems to be having a hard time finding teams since so many people are globally ignorring him. If players realize being an a-- on one character adversely effects all of their characters, they will probably moderate their nastiness. Can't just make a throwaway character for when I feel like being a troll, and occasionally replace it when enough people have ignored it.

On the other hand, people who get too happy with the global/Legacy ignore button will also find themselves having trouble finding groups after they have ignored a significant portion of the active population for relitively trivial reasons. That will self limit.

Eventually the chronic trolls and chronic ignorers will find themselves very much alone and maybe moderate their behavior.
I agree, if it had an adverse effect on anyone it would be the trolls and jerks, and that would be fine by me. If someone realized that being a jerk on one character could have the consequence of getting every character in their legacy ignored and thus locked out of group activities they might want to do, perhaps they'd knock off their unpleasant and maladjusted behavior.

As for people who ignore a lot of other players for trivial reasons, I don't think that's anything anyone needs to worry about. We all have the right to filter our experience as we wish, and if someone's ignoring that many players I daresay they might not be that interested in the social or group aspects of the game anyway.

Rolodome's Avatar


Rolodome
08.17.2019 , 06:47 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Jdast View Post
Here's why I disagree. If someone is nasty on one character, why wouldn't they be nasty on the other?

The argument that they are only RP-ing a jerk on one character and not the other is highly suspect. Not saying you are making the RP argument, but my view is -- once an ***, always an ***.

If enough people are ignoring an entire legacy, that says a lot about the person who owns said legacy.

Dasty
I agree. I would imagine the impact to group finder would be negligible. But honestly, if it did negatively impact group finder, I'd think that says more about the issues with the game's population than it does for being reason not to create a legacy ignore feature. In other words, if the game's population is so bad that a few people legacy ignoring each other destroys queue times, we've probably got way bigger problems.

There is also (in theory) a way around this as a potential problem. Something along the lines of, for example, notifying somebody in a system message that queue would have popped if not for X player on their ignore list. Or some other form of info along those lines. This way people aren't guessing as to why and blaming it on the wrong thing if queue isn't popping.

Mainly, I think the people who have most reason to be afraid of a feature like this are the habitual trolls/jerks, because it would shrink their audience so quickly and effectively. Certainly some mostly nice people could get caught in the crossfire here and there, but that's already the case now with an ignore feature, it's just easily bypassed on accident if you're an altoholic.
Clicky referral link for freebies, read how referral works.

Damask_Rose's Avatar


Damask_Rose
08.17.2019 , 09:42 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Phazonfreak View Post
We could do all that and give each player the option to ignore everyone else in this game for whatever reason and put the penalty hammer down. We would most certainly get a very nice game. I just want to caution that we might also get a very vacant game with far less interaction and a non-functioning group finder, so that all group content will only be accessible to dedicated guilds.
Conversely, when people queue into groupfinder and keep finding jerks in their groups, they quit queuing into groupfinder. Forcing people to keep playing with jerks is no way to build a social community. So which is more harmful to the queue? People restricting their potential teammates and having a longer queue time or people quitting group content all together?

Pirana's Avatar


Pirana
08.17.2019 , 09:56 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by AndrewAlberts View Post
I don't want to name names on the forums, but anyone on the DM server can probably guess the name of the player I use as an example of why we need a legacy ignore. This player does nothing except troll fleet chat, loudly announces when he logs in like he's some sort of big shot, rant about how the game is dying and proceed to share his plans on what he's doing on the games as if he's narrating his life story. I get that due to the rules being what they are, BW can do little about him, but can we please have a function that allows all our characters in our legacy to ignore him without having to re-add him to the ignore list every time we make another toon? He's doing this on both factions, so there's no escaping him.
I'm on the same server and have a pretty good idea of whom you're referring to. The only reason I haven't put this person on ignore is because I find it entertaining to watch this tool implode in General Chat. I have no doubt this person is on a multitude of ignore lists. This person spews their vitriol at anyone that disagrees with him/her at any given moment. Either bipolar or there's a screw loose somewhere.

Legacy ignore should have been implemented years ago.
The Journey Is Often Greater Than The Destination

Ayushman's Avatar


Ayushman
08.17.2019 , 11:51 PM | #17
@ OP, as a primary DM server player I know whom you speak of. He is a known troll. But somehow peoples always takes his bait. Just ignore him and thats it. Have you heard about not to feed the troll.

Although legacy ignore should have been implemented long ago. Since it's not here... it's probably never going to happen.
Seasonally 'Drunken' SWarrior... (wip)
Deys Legacy...(wip)... < The Galaxy's Least Wanted/Reputed >
'Do or Don't, there is no try' is polite way of saying 'You su(c)k badly. Go home'
Help out a fellow gamer? Click to know more.

Phazonfreak's Avatar


Phazonfreak
08.18.2019 , 12:02 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Rolodome View Post
I agree. I would imagine the impact to group finder would be negligible. But honestly, if it did negatively impact group finder, I'd think that says more about the issues with the game's population than it does for being reason not to create a legacy ignore feature. In other words, if the game's population is so bad that a few people legacy ignoring each other destroys queue times, we've probably got way bigger problems.
Exactly, and I think we have got way bigger problems that could be reinforced with a legacy ignore feature.

Quote: Originally Posted by Damask_Rose View Post
Conversely, when people queue into groupfinder and keep finding jerks in their groups, they quit queuing into groupfinder. Forcing people to keep playing with jerks is no way to build a social community. So which is more harmful to the queue? People restricting their potential teammates and having a longer queue time or people quitting group content all together?
Yes, both can be harmful to queues. I am not advocating to force people to play with jerks, there is a character ignore feature after all. People have been asking for a legacy ignore feature for ages now and BioWare is not even addressing it for the most part. I don't think that there are any technical problems preventing it from being implemented, even if they might claim it to be the case. I think there is a concern on BioWare's end when it comes to population and the group finder functionality. I also think that this reasoning is in line with their general apathy when it comes to banning accounts and penalizing PvP/Conquest cheaters/exploiters.

Celise's Avatar


Celise
08.18.2019 , 05:09 AM | #19
I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum, i find ignore features useless, a waste of time and effort to police. If you got the attention of the wrong type of persistent troll, he can get around a character ignore by going to another and another and another, but the same can be said of those on a legacy ignore, they can go between accounts and do it again and again. it undermines the entire purpose of such a feature.

Besides this, if people aren't willing to chat to each other, then what hope is there for any of us? unpleasant conversations and unlucky happenstance happens all the time, nothing will change that, but it isn't anything to lose your head over.

some people are a little too oversensitive as well and they think you are some monster from the German 3rd empire or something along those lines, they'll put you on ignore as soon as you sneeze or you look at them funny. so anyone on that end is abusing the feature for no other purpose but to abuse it.

Xina_LA's Avatar


Xina_LA
08.18.2019 , 07:19 AM | #20
We need the ability to Ignore by Legacy because we need the ability to block bullies from harassing us.
Toons aren't real, players are. I don't care what graphics he's sporting when he comes at me. Why should that matter?
It's silly to say oh.. well, your bully is going by a new name so he can come harass you again.
People shouldn't have to go through a confrontation over and over and over, adding to an Ignore list, knowing it will never end.
--=# Decorating addict of Satele Shan server. #=--