Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why you shouldn't like Game Update 6.0

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why you shouldn't like Game Update 6.0

jxjxjx
08.16.2019 , 06:25 AM | #1
Not to be a buzzkill, but update 6.0 is going to be the biggest grind fest ever introduced in SWTOR. They are throwing away the simple system and replacing it with a hugely more complicated one. It is a terrible idea for many reasons. First of all, right now the gearing system is easy. In fact, if you want to be ridiculously overpowered all you have to do is learn your class rotation and purchase a full set of 258 gear on the GTN for credits. Don't have the credits? Well, people spend hundreds of dollars on the cartel market stuff all the time. Why not just buy some hypercrates on the cartel market and resell them on the GTN for credits? Bam just like that and you can get the best gear in the game. Will gearing be that easy after 6.0? Of course not. Also, there is only 1 freakin' useful set on the live servers. No amplifiers, no tactical items, none of that crap. All you have to do is reach a certain alacrity, crit and accuracy threshold. GEARING HAS NEVER been difficult in SWTOR. Even when you had to open a million command crates it was simple. So what makes me think that? Well, think about it. A brand new player to the game doesn't have to do challenging content like NiM operations or ranked PvP in order to get good gear. All you ever had to do was spam veteran mode fps for crates and open them for the best in slot gear. Anyone is capable of it. Ossus was easy too.. Seriously? You can't be bothered to do a couple of master mode fps and world bosses for crystals then buy the one set you need with them? I was able to get a full set of 248 gear in less than a week just by doing Hammer Station. 6.0 is going to be a grind fest. Why? Because it's going to be much worse than that. There are going to be over a hundred tactical items which do different things... Each piece of gear will have 3-4 amplifiers which you will likely have to spend millions of credits on rerolling stats in order to have an optimal set for DPS/Healer/Tank (for whichever role you are playing). Bioware already stated that challenging content will be more rewarding than easy content. THIS IS BAD NEWS.

So for 95% of the community that only does SM and Veteran flashpoints:
If you are currently in 258 gear, you will likely NEVER be as powerful as you are now or it will take a very long time. You will likely have to grind HM/NiM operations in order to get the best in slot gear. I can only assume this is true based on bioware's statement "challenging content will be more rewarding" since bioware won't be more specific we can only assume this means you will be forced to do hard content to get the best gear in the game. Don't get me wrong, all content will drop gear. I'm talking about the best gear in the game (gear as powerful as 258). Again, before anyone could just spam veteran fps for best in slot gear. We didn't have to do challenging content for better rewards as this would just make the grind take even longer. There are many players who avoid doing challenging content because they aren't capable of it or they just can't find a group. These players will have a harder time obtaining overpowered gear.

Oh by the way.. I'm sure it's going to fun for all you Marauder / Sentinels out there (and of course other classes as well) spamming NiM operations over and over and over again only to get ridiclous set gear. For example,
(2 pieces) "The cooldown of mad dash is reduced by 2 seconds."
(4 pieces) Mad dash does 2% more damage.

Yeah, so many people complained about the current gearing system and they honestly think that the new system is going to be better? I can't even believe that bioware implemented a set like that on the PTS. That set is absolutely USELESS for any content. I'm sure people will enjoy spamming HM/NiM ops and getting ridiculous drops with set bonuses like that. Just remember, getting an optimal set of gear won't be so simple like Ossus and Galactic Command was. All you had to do was simple missions on Ossus for Masterwork Data Crystals and then you could buy exactly what you need. Now you will have to deal with tons and tons of RNG and countless useless tactical items, mods, enhancements, set bonuses, etc. Tons of useless items will likely drop from challenging content only (assuming you want gear that has equal power to 258). Still think the new system is better than Galactic Command?

I mean come on people.. There are so many players who aren't even geared correctly with the simple system. I still see people with 1600 alacrity or 400 alacrity. People aren't even hitting the accuracy or alacrity threshold. Some people don't have augments. Imagine how bad things will be after 6.0 when the gearing system is 100 times more complicated than it ever was before with amplifiers, different mods, set bonuses, tactical items, etc.

It is going to suck having to find a HM / NiM team just to grind best in slot gear. It's going to suck even more having to deal with all the useless gear bioware has added to the game. Again, mad dash cooldown reduced by 2%. Yeah, it's not going to be fun getting drops like that. Just remember how great the old system was and think about how all you complained about it for years after 6.0 is released in September.

kodrac
08.16.2019 , 06:46 AM | #2
It's ESO gearing. ESO is successful so why not copy theirs right? What they fail to recognize is ESO is (mainly) successful because of how often they drop new content, not because of the grind to get all your gear in the same trait.
Quote: Originally Posted by aerockyul View Post
Id find it hard to believe this sort of thing goes on in the preferential treatment forum.
Quote: Originally Posted by Jdast View Post
or Kodrac, for saying everything I want to say, but he takes one for team and gets a warning.

ceryxp
08.16.2019 , 06:48 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by jxjxjx View Post
Not to be a buzzkill, but update 6.0 is going to be the biggest grind fest ever introduced in SWTOR. They are throwing away the simple system and replacing it with a hugely more complicated one.
Let me stop you right there. You base this claim on...what? The incomplete PTS where Spoils of War hasn't even been implemented yet? How about you, I don't know, wait until you've seen it before declaring it trash, yeah?
--------------------------------------------------
Click the link. You know you wanna. You'll get free stuff. - http://www.swtor.com/r/W9ZqZj

Toraak
08.16.2019 , 06:52 AM | #4
You do realize that the gearing system isn't even implemented on the PTS right? Bashing something we know nothing about is pointless. Let them show us what they have for the gearing system before we make up our minds about it.

Yes we know there will be multiple sets of gear (some will be better then others), yes we know there are multiple Tactical items (not 100 per class), we've been told we are going to get Gear drops a lot faster, and that we can Disintegrate them for a currency to purchase the piece of gear we want. We know ampilifiers are being put on Shells, armorings, mods, and enhancements. We don't know what the % they'll be on any of those things, or how much it'll cost to reroll them, since Amplifiers are not yet on the PTS. Let's get all of the information on how gearing will work before making a knee jerk reaction to it.
Referral Link: www.swtor.com/r/Q4Tp3P

Costello
08.16.2019 , 06:56 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by kodrac View Post
It's ESO gearing. ESO is successful so why not copy theirs right? What they fail to recognize is ESO is (mainly) successful because of how often they drop new content, not because of the grind to get all your gear in the same trait.
Also ESO doesn't add new tiers of gear every time they drop some new content. I've been happily adventuring in my legendary gear for over a year, new content arrives I don't have to grind 7 year old snooze fest group content (which mostly involves running through skipping as much as possible be that exploiting or not).

Back to the OP. Yes you are right. However if you don't think grinding old content is better than playing an MMO with new content then you are not the type of player Keith and team want. 6.0 will be very minimal new story, a few companions and then level synicing all content and a whole new gear grind.

And before someone says everything drops gear, damn right it does. I'm sure as long as you want the set bonuses that give a 50% chance for double harvesting drops you will be really happy. But the one decent set that will be the must have will be tied behind NIM ops or such an unbelievable grind that you better love running gods of the machine 3 times a week every week for the next year if you ever want to see it.

akdonkey
08.16.2019 , 06:58 AM | #6
As a Alt-A-Holic I quit worrying about gear long ago. As with every expansion they gave us, it came with a set of armor that will get you by. I have never done a hard mode operation or anything of that manor. I only recently have started doing 4 man heroics. This gearing system we know nothing about does not bother me. I don't need top tier gear to get by.

xordevoreaux
08.16.2019 , 06:59 AM | #7
In 2020, members of the Entertainment Software Association, of which EA is a member

https://www.theesa.com/about-esa#tabs -- 2nd row of icons down, on the left

will require companies to publicly expose their percentage drop rates for items in loot boxes, including EA. It's called drop rate transparency. While the big news is Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo, it's everyone in the ESA.

https://thenerdstash.com/the-esa-are...boxes-by-2020/

Rather than reveal to players exactly how low the drop rates were, Electronic Arts is getting rid of the loot boxes now, making the point moot.

So, OP, what they're throwing away is a system that EA doesn't want to reveal the internal workings of to prevent a pitchfork rebellion from the player base.

As Kodrac stated, the ESO system is livable (not that I'm obsessed about acquiring BiS when I play ESO).

https://stevivor.com/news/epic-games...-transparency/
https://www.theburnin.com/games/micr...ox-drop-rates/
https://www.playstationenthusiast.co...ure-mandatory/
https://www.theesa.com/about-esa
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/F4XbCd
In English, a leading X on a word is pronounced like a Z. (zorDEVoro).

Jdast
08.16.2019 , 07:01 AM | #8
JX to the third,

There is a fundamental flaw in your premise. I don't suffer from what I call "BiSitis" -- or BestinSlot-itis - an affliction where I feel I must have the best gear.

As long as I can do SM and Vet FPs, I'll be just fine. If I get tactical / amplifier gear that makes the aforementioned content that much easier, that is just some chocolate sprinkles on top of my coffee with Bailey's I'm about to have this fine morning out in the Western USA.

Sorry, you didn't kill my impending buzz.

Put differently, what will make Onslaught a success or a failure is whether it has interesting content. Will the gearing system probably need tweaks? Sure, but you assume, incorrectly in my case, that I need BiS to enjoy the game. I don't.

Now where are my chocolate sprinkles?

Dasty

jxjxjx
08.16.2019 , 07:28 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Costello View Post
Back to the OP. Yes you are right. However if you don't think grinding old content is better than playing an MMO with new content then you are not the type of player Keith and team want.
I'm all for new and old content but like you said other MMOs like ESO don't release new tiers of gear every major update. I'm sick of bioware repeatedly releasing new tiers of gear and changing the way gear is obtained. They need to focus on adding more quests, more flashpoints, more operations, etc. If they just left the gearing system the way it was and focused on something more meaningful then we'd probably have 2 or 3 new operations and flashpoints coming out.

Quote: Originally Posted by Toraak View Post
we've been told we are going to get gear drops a lot faster.
But 258 gear can be purchased with credits. Also, they have to make gear drops a lot faster since they added so many different sets and tactical items. Yes, we may see drops a lot faster but will they be good drops? or "Mad dash deals 2% more damage" Out of the many sets there will probably only be a few that are optimal. The optimal set will still take some time to get.

Savej
08.16.2019 , 07:34 AM | #10
I didn't notice anything on the tactical racks that was better than current set bonuses for my sent/mara but I didn't look too closely. It struck me as something I was going to mostly ignore for pvp.

I'm looking.forward to 6.0 to find out what happened to Kira and Scourge and maybe look at the new worlds. After that I think I'll be focusing on other games/priorities.

It's interesting how SWTOR devs have completely forgotten what's supposed to be fun about opening up new levels for players in rpgs. For them it's clearly just a chance to reset gear, reset accomplishments and throw out cxp levels. I doubt they even realize why or how many of their most dedicated players aren't celebrating.