Genuine Thanks, Dev Team, For "Jedi Under Siege"

RadiantVII

I don't post much -- and I know positive comments don't seem to get much traction around here -- but I wanted to extend my sincere personal thanks to the SWTOR development team for the "Jedi Under Siege" content. I'm enjoying the first chapter quite a lot.

I appreciate the return to archetypal Star Wars storytelling; and I look forward to more when it arrives.

Best to all,

R7

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big thanks from me too. I especially enjoyed making my agent a real double-agent and seeing how it played out. There isn't much in this patch I didn't like...save my agent STILL has a full-absent boyfriend. I've yet to find out if the bastard even wrote an email this time. Breakup is not far away, and I don't want that because even Koth deserves someone to love him.

But others, yes, I really liked all of it.

What people is complaining about is the gearing system mostly. The story is short and is coming late, but it's in the right direction. I think they won't be able to undo the Zakuul disaster, but it's nice to see again a story arc with the quality level of Makeb. After all the KotFE/ET/traitor plot, it's the best thing we can ask in story terms.

I don't post much -- and I know positive comments don't seem to get much traction around here -- but I wanted to extend my sincere personal thanks to the SWTOR development team for the "Jedi Under Siege" content. I'm enjoying the first chapter quite a lot.

I appreciate the return to archetypal Star Wars storytelling; and I look forward to more when it arrives.

Best to all,

R7

I absolutely agree with you here, a huge thank you to the story team and devs for giving us the amazing story that is Jedi Under Siege! The fact we've finally gone back to the core of SWTOR storytelling, Jedi vs Sith, Empire vs Republic is just such a huge sigh of relief for me.

Finally we're done with Zakuul, finally the Alliance is on its way out. Finally SWTOR returned to its core story and it's good, so good! They're finally mending the mistakes made in KotFE and KotET, they're giving us back the story we were supposed to have instead of the nightmare that is KotFEET. It felt so so good to start the return to our original factions and the full disbanding of the Alliance and return to Empire or Republic can't happen fast enough!

Edited by Ylliarus

I find it hard to believe that people are complaining this much when there were so many great ideas implemented in the stories. Yes, there were numerous glitches and problems with the update (Jaesa's affection resetting back to 1, and the 5% glitch with the world bosses on Ossus for instance). Still, these are really only minor blemishes compared to how well-done the story-telling was for both sides. I played both Jedi Knight's Republic Story and the Sith Warrior's Empire Story and found both to be a vast improvement to the previous Zakuul narrative.

The part where Darth Malgus and the Sith Warrior massacre ranks of Jedi was especially well constructed. I loved the idea of two overpowered death-dealing Juggernauts fighting side by side as equals. I thought it was interesting how both Malgus and the Sith Warrior seem to share a genuine respect for one another. I really hope the developers expand on this by making a friendship/bromance between the two.

Thanks again developers for crafting this incredible story-line. Your hard-work really showed through this time.

Really, what are you thankful for?

I guess this is unpopular opinion, but I was so bored playing this. It had chapter like vibe I didn't like. It was too short yet it felt rushed. We barely spent some time with new characters and their motives.

I really didn't like the return of Malgus. Not only that he is annoying, but this downgrades previous stories. We already had this with Emperor/Valkorion. If characters can return from death just like that it is just plain stupid story writting.

Above all, why would you ever want to work with Malgus? You opposed him before, killed him, and he's like all is forgiven...

Also, I hate that they gave him some Vader lines.

Another failed point for me is the following. Imps invade Jedi library of Ossus and the takeaway is how to farm and feed troops?! I know that is important aspect of any military, but that is the problem. That is not a Star Wars story, but a generic problem that can fit into any universe.

I feel like this is a failed attempt to fix all the story problems done in past 2-3 years. This fix is not going to be easy, and I am really doubtful 6.0 will be any different.

I ain't even gonna heavily comment new gearing system, that will require grind just until 6.0 is released and then start over.

Edited by Vercundus

I find it hard to believe that people are complaining this much when there were so many great ideas implemented in the stories. Yes, there were numerous glitches and problems with the update (Jaesa's affection resetting back to 1, and the 5% glitch with the world bosses on Ossus for instance). Still, these are really only minor blemishes compared to how well-done the story-telling was for both sides. I played both Jedi Knight's Republic Story and the Sith Warrior's Empire Story and found both to be a vast improvement to the previous Zakuul narrative.

The part where Darth Malgus and the Sith Warrior massacre ranks of Jedi was especially well constructed. I loved the idea of two overpowered death-dealing Juggernauts fighting side by side as equals. I thought it was interesting how both Malgus and the Sith Warrior seem to share a genuine respect for one another. I really hope the developers expand on this by making a friendship/bromance between the two.

Thanks again developers for crafting this incredible story-line. Your hard-work really showed through this time.

I completely agree with you here. The only complainers are likely the few players that did like Zakuul and the Alliance narrative. But as has been proven countless times, despite their staunch denial of it, majority of the playerbase wanted to go back to the Empire vs Republic narrative as well as to go back to their factions.

Really, the story was very well written with a lot of great moments. I was touched by Tau Idair's story and I really am intrigued by Malora. I can't wait to see what will be next, but Bioware really made a fantastic step forward in the right direction story-wise :D

+1

I've completed it on my Sith and about to try it on my Jedi. So another big thanks to devs for a much needed breath of fresh air, and return to normality, after 'meh!' KOTET/KOTFE. I was over-the-moon to see

Darth Malgus

back. Thanks for this.

Now... what's for next month's storyline?

i'm not sure what to think about 5.10 at all.

if i'm just walking around ossus i can't ignore, that all this is just a redesign of stuff we already head,

but it is way better than iokath. also it fits together, so this is not a problem for me, but shows that they

don't wanted to invest that much time in that planet.

the story i couldn't really enjoy. it is quit short, but i don't expect much from such a minor update.

so it is okay, to be able to run through the quests. also i like the splitting alliance.

but what upsets me is the lack of quality assurance. i really can understand, that development is no

straight line and many problems could happen by fixing stuff. but that the most quests are just buggy as hell

and you can't do a single quest in a group, inside a phase, because i wouldn't count, but you have to kill

more and more adds to solve it... damn no. this could have been tested. also that the complete reward system

is not working at all is not acceptable.

i also understand, that you guys in the US are using a different language, even by using the same words.

but i like it more, to get a realistic overview to what we could expect. but you are hyping every upcoming stuff

that much, that i would be disappointed by believing you. but this is not just a swtor problem, so i get it.

but the amount of bugs caused by this update is really frustrating. also the anwers by the support team.

for example that the world bosses are for a 4ppl group. really bad wording.

i don't want to start with gear. i think everything was said by so many ppl, that i don't need to say it again.

but also there is light!

at first the new world bosses, especially the droid is a nice fight. i like it. it would be better, if more ppl get how to play it... but okay..

also the changes to the guilds is wonderful. big thanks to that part. especially the custom pvp/gsf maps are a great thing. for me it really seems, that this change give guilds more importance. it connects the ppl closer.

so get rid of the bugs, give us the rewards we are still missing (a lot of crystals) and go on with the work.

and please fix the custom maps ASAP.

I enjoyed KOTFE/KOTET, and I enjoyed Jedi Under Siege. I appreaciate a good change of pace, and the new story is full of promise. Also, Ossus is beautifully designed; and the new dailies are much more enjoyable than those of Iokath.

But I'd like to ask...

For those of you who killed Gnost-Dural, what does Theron's letter say?

Thank you so much bioware and swtor dev team! Can't wait to see what's next on this Jedi vs Sith theme! I enjoyed the content the most by the second part of the entire story-line, especially everything about the temple. You all did a great job on this one in my opinion! I love the new direction a lot.

I completely agree with you here. The only complainers are likely the few players that did like Zakuul and the Alliance narrative. But as has been proven countless times, despite their staunch denial of it, majority of the playerbase wanted to go back to the Empire vs Republic narrative as well as to go back to their factions.

I haven't played 5.10 yet myself, but I have been reading a lot of social media. Very few of the complaints stem from the story going back to Imp vs. Pub. The lion's share of complaints are about how Lana got nearly all of the returning companion content, Theron got a tiny bit, and no one else got any. Second most common complaint is that once again they revived a dead guy. People want a trope that hasn't been done do death 😛 And third up, people are finding the saboteur story-lines to be lacking.

The vast majority of complaints are over the sheer volume of bugs. This has to be the buggiest patch ever and Bioware hasn't acknowledged be majority of them, including some of the most severe. That and how horrible the new gear grind is, and how badly designed guild leveling is.

There are so many things that have me thankful for this expansion. Many of the quality of life changes to the guild structure, though glitch in a couple places, has been amazing. Finally have a REAL planet to explore, with datacrons, relevant lore (About Jedi, not some ancient race of robots I never cared about), and a bazillion dailies... really, this expansion has brought back the excitement for questing that I missed ever since 4.0 dropped.

Several good comments pro and con in this thread. I just want to add a "thanks, this is fun feeling and I'm enjoying it" to the pile. Good job. Yes, bugs and glitches, but if you've done big commercial software you have some idea of the challenges faced by the dev team.

Good job. Looking forward to the continuation of the war! For the Empire!

Really, the story was very well written with a lot of great moments. I was touched by Tau Idair's story and I really am intrigued by Malora. I can't wait to see what will be next, but Bioware really made a fantastic step forward in the right direction story-wise :D

I always love your passion and your commitment to this game, and I too have very much enjoyed 5.10. But how do you know only a "few" players liked the Alliance narrative? From what I can tell the argument rages back and forth--they were debating it on General chat today on Ossus, for example. I don't want to derail this thread, but you're the first (and I applaud you for this) to hold people accountable when they claim to speak for most or all. I honestly don't have the first clue who's the majority in this case. Those who post on Reddit and the forums are self-selecting groups; in other words, people who love to post. I think it's fair to assume that there are a lot of players don't like to post and thus don't in either place. So where is your information coming from? Did Charles say as much?

But as I said, I love the story in 5.10. My only real complaints are that it was too short, and there was either none or not enough LI interaction.

Edited by sauceemynx

+1 to OP.

I'm enjoying 5.10. This is the type of content I like: Small story with dailies, new rep and rep items.

5.10 isn't an expansion. The PTS was up for people to explore exactly what was being added content-wise. But I think a lot of folks are upset about gear, though I think only PvPers are justified, because all pve content can be done in 248's (excluding nim gftm ofc).

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

The story is okay, too short but I do have a small question

Why do you keep returning people that are dead, Revan, Emperor and now Malgus. Why don't you create a new enemy instead of figuring a way to reconstruct a dead one.

They actually did create new enemies in the Zakuul expansions:

Arcann, and Vaylin. We all saw how poorly Vaylin turned out as an antagonist. Fighting Vaylin felt like trying to shut up a spoiled brat in the middle of a sith temper tantrum. The developers attempted to create sympathy by implementing chapters about her troubled past, yet it felt nearly impossible to feel anything but disgust towards her as she had zero redeeming qualities. Anyways, it could be possible that they saw ripe source material in Malgus and decided to use him instead of spending more time creating a complex villain (or they could be making Acina the complex antagonist for later chapters). We probably should keep in mind that the developers were likely required to meet some form of Christmas deadline for sales purposes. Personally I thought Malgus deserved more of a story-line than the Illum chapter and the False Emperor Flashpoint. Although the final encounter between Malgus and the protagonists was spectular, such a awesome sith who's plagued by insanity really didn't need to go to waste by dying. Also I just thought of this now. Malgus was present at the very beginning of SWTOR, and his return really is a symbol that SWTOR is coming back to its Republic v. Empire roots.

I wanted to express my appreciation for this new story content too. It felt very much like getting my old SWTOR back and it was a breath of fresh air. I noticed right away that the NPC's referenced titles or accomplishments I'd done in the original class story, that the music was back to the original scores, and the open planet layout was so very very welcome. New rep, new dailies, TWO separate story lines and physical areas, new datacrons and other hidden goodies to discover...all these things made me very happy!

I especially got a kick out of:

Doc bungling the pronunciation of Barsenthor.

Very funny!

I'm intrigued by the story direction too and look forward to where we go next.

I always love your passion and your commitment to this game, and I too have very much enjoyed 5.10. But how do you know only a "few" players liked the Alliance narrative? <snip> So where is your information coming from? Did Charles say as much?

I'm not the person you are addressing here, but yes, he did say as much actually. We'll never know exactly what "metrics" BW uses, but I suspect good old fashioned subscriber numbers did the talking. Charles confirmed in a big post some time back that the original plan was to have three "Knights of--" blocks, each lasting one year, but that after feedback they severely curtailed the plan, cut KOTET into a much smaller chunk, and abandoned the third year altogether. (Although I suspect that many of the chapters we've been seeing since then are probably altered story stuff that was already written...but who knows for sure.)

I always love your passion and your commitment to this game, and I too have very much enjoyed 5.10. But how do you know only a "few" players liked the Alliance narrative? From what I can tell the argument rages back and forth--they were debating it on General chat today on Ossus, for example. I don't want to derail this thread, but you're the first (and I applaud you for this) to hold people accountable when they claim to speak for most or all. I honestly don't have the first clue who's the majority in this case. Those who post on Reddit and the forums are self-selecting groups; in other words, people who love to post. I think it's fair to assume that there are a lot of players don't like to post and thus don't in either place. So where is your information coming from? Did Charles say as much?

But as I said, I love the story in 5.10. My only real complaints are that it was too short, and there was either none or not enough LI interaction.

I've actually formulated that opinion based on several factors. The first one is the Discord servers I am in, lots of people there continue to speak negatively about KotFE and KotET, especially about the fact that the story moved away from the narrative that mattered to them in the first place: Jedi vs Sith, Empire vs Republic. The second factor is how I saw a lot of friends leave the game, not over the gear grind, not over the lack of PvE content, but they specifically stated they left over the direction the story had taken with KotFE and KotET. The third factor is the general sentiment I picked up on Twitter in regards to Jedi Under Siege, so many tweets were people saying how happy they were that the story was finally moving away from Zakuul and the Alliance and we were back with Republic vs Sith. The fourth factor was a poll I had made and put on both these forums as well as Reddit (where it even became #1 post for a day or two so it was very visible) where an overwhelming majority was happy with the return to the Empire vs Republic narrative (here is a link to the poll: https://strawpoll.com/8p8bgbfg and a link to the Reddit thread:

).

So as you can see, my conviction that the amount of players that actually liked the narrative of Zakuul and the Alliance comes from multiple factors that, to me, evidently show it was generally speaking rather unpopular. As I said in previous threads and posts, the people posting here are rather a very niche group, I have found. They will have no qualms about playing a Light Side Sith, for example, but if I look at how people I know play their stories and react to the concept of a Light Side Sith, that also isn't a popular way to play the story. I am not saying they can't play that way, because everyone can play the game the way they want. But a niche group can't really expect that their specific playstyle will be catered to by the devs.

The same is with the RP community, and here I am talking about also a specific part of the RP community (those who create their own characters, stories, events and guilds outside of the SWTOR main story and classes). That group relies heavily on the lore of the setting and the canon of the setting. They are asking Bioware to set a canon choice in regards to the Acina/Malcom Iokath story, but they can't expect the devs to disregard the rest of the playerbase who don't want a canon set and cater to the RP'ers needs, because frankly, that specific RP community is rather small compared to the rest of the playerbase. The same goes for the people who have headcannoned things for their Alliance and Commander characters, they are a niche group whose playstyle is absolutely valid, but they can't expect Bioware to cater to their specific needs to keep their headcanon intact. As cold as it may sound, it is nonetheless true: the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Naturally, a counterargument to what I just said is that it is all my personal findings and experiences, that Bioware didn't give a statement who is in the majority. But think about it: Bioware is returning to the Empire vs Republic narrative. That decision in itself is a statement from the dev team. Had the Zakuul/Alliance setting and story really been as popular as its proponents make it out to be, then that specific storyline would have been continued. However, what has happened? Bioware, going over the data they have which is a million times more than what we have and see, have decided it would be more profitable to return to the Empire vs Republic setting and narrative. As I said, that in itself is a statement that the amount of people who genuinely liked the setting KotFE and KotET created can't be that high as its made out to be and that the part of the playerbase who didn't appreciate it must have been much bigger.

Edited by Ylliarus

I've levelled JK and JC just yesterday and still under impression of true SW:ToR story. Today I've finished Ossus story, and it was a huge disappointment. I'm really glad I still have BH, Smuggler, and Trooper to level.

it's very short, it gave me no reasonable options and as usual, I have a suspicion that you "siding" will have little to no effect on possible 6.0 arc.

@Ylliarus

I actually liked KotET and KotFE very much. It would be an awesome story for a single-player game, but not for MMO for sure: an "eternal commander" of the most powerful faction in the galaxy does a brute work with his own bare hands instead of sending troops? The second problem is that "outlander" has defeated the most powerful being in the galaxy and is such a Mary Sue, that it's really hard to imagine anyone challenging him at this point.

I've levelled JK and JC just yesterday and still under impression of true SW:ToR story. Today I've finished Ossus story, and it was a huge disappointment. I'm really glad I still have BH, Smuggler, and Trooper to level.

it's very short, it gave me no reasonable options and as usual, I have a suspicion that you "siding" will have little to no effect on possible 6.0 arc.

I agree. I actually thought it was rather boring and too short. I am only doing it on my force users to get their companions returned.

I also didn't like the Nadia/Vinn hair. The VA for Doc you can tell he is older now. You can hear it in his voice. Jaesa was friggin' bald! Khem romance? I thought that was a joke but it sure wasn't 😬. Well I don't expect to hear from our original companions ever again anyway after this.