Deserter Lockout in 6.1.4

ChrisSchmidt

• Dev Post

Hi friends,

I wanted to take a minute to talk about the Deserter changes coming in Game Update 6.1.4. As part of our efforts to reduce toxicity, it’s important to understand how game rules themselves can contribute to the problem. I previously talked about how behaviors like declining multiple matches in a row or leaving matches could be used to intentionally degrade the quality of PvP matches, particularly in Ranked modes, and how we planned on addressing the problem.

Unranked:

In Unranked matches, the 15-minute Deserter lockout will still apply for leaving a match. In addition, the 5-minute lockout penalty for being vote kicked will still apply.

Ranked:

In Ranked modes (both solo and group) there are a few changes. First, as previously discussed, vote kick has been removed in these modes. Next, the Deserter lockout timer has been increased to 20 minutes for declining a match or leaving early - the first time. Over time, if a player continues to decline or leave matches that lockout timer will increase until they hit the maximum threshold. If a player hits the max once, all declines or leaves for the rest of the week in ranked modes will use the maximum lockout timer.

An important change here to note is the lockout timer prevents queueing for ALL PvP activity: Unranked, Solo Ranked, Group Ranked, and Galactic Starfighter. In addition, all Deserter lockouts will be account-based.

Some of the philosophy behind this change is to still allow a smaller penalty for one-off accidents, such as missing a queue due to a bad internet connection or stepping away for a few minutes. Where the penalty increases is when we can begin to assume the likelihood of an attempt to manipulate the queue or gain an advantage in Ranked matches is greater than the likelihood of missing several queue pops on accident in a row. This is based on data and observation of past player behavior, so these changes to the game rules are an attempt to change that behavior, and ultimately provide a more fun and safe place to play.

As always, we will measure the results of this change and adjust as needed if we see any opportunities for improvement.

Thanks!

-Chris

:csw_jabbapet:

Edited by EricMusco

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi friends,

I wanted to take a minute to talk about the Deserter changes coming in Game Update 6.1.4. As part of our efforts to reduce toxicity, it’s important to understand how game rules themselves can contribute to the problem. I previously talked about how behaviors like declining multiple matches in a row or leaving matches could be used to intentionally degrade the quality of PvP matches, particularly in Ranked modes, and how we planned on addressing the problem.

Unranked:

In Unranked matches, the 15-minute Deserter lockout will still apply for leaving a match. In addition, the 5-minute lockout penalty for being vote kicked will still apply.

Ranked:

In Ranked modes (both solo and group) there are a few changes. First, as previously discussed, vote kick has been removed in these modes. Next, the Deserter lockout timer has been increased to 20 minutes for declining a match or leaving early - the first time. Over time, if a player continues to decline or leave matches that lockout timer will increase until they hit the maximum threshold. If a player hits the max once, all declines or leaves for the rest of the week in ranked modes will use the maximum lockout timer.

An important change here to note is the lockout timer prevents queueing for ALL PvP activity: Unranked, Solo Ranked, Group Ranked, and Galactic Starfighter. In addition, all Deserter lockouts will be account-based.

Some of the philosophy behind this change is to still allow a smaller penalty for one-off accidents, such as missing a queue due to a bad internet connection or stepping away for a few minutes. Where the penalty increases is when we can begin to assume the likelihood of an attempt to manipulate the queue or gain an advantage in Ranked matches is greater than the likelihood of missing several queue pops on accident in a row. This is based on data and observation of past player behavior, so these changes to the game rules are an attempt to change that behavior, and ultimately provide a more fun and safe place to play.

As always, we will measure the results of this change and adjust as needed if we see any opportunities for improvement.

Thanks!

-Chris

:csw_jabbapet:

So let me put this in perspective. Lets say I'm in queue with friends to play regs. Lets say I get up to take something off the stove or what have you, and come back to see I missed the queue pop. Are you telling me now my friends have to wait 5-15 minutes for me to play with them again? This is a sure fire way to decrease pvp interest entirely lol.

So let me put this in perspective. Lets say I'm in queue with friends to play regs. Lets say I get up to take something off the stove or what have you, and come back to see I missed the queue pop. Are you telling me now my friends have to wait 5-15 minutes for me to play with them again? This is a sure fire way to decrease pvp interest entirely lol.

Then perhaps you shouldn't queue or be in the middle of a PvP match when you have something you know that you'll need to take care of? If your friends don't want to wait a few minutes you can always join the group when that task is done.

Note: I'm not talking about unexpected emergencies. :p

Edited by Pallais

If you don't accept a regular warzone pop you do not get a timer.

Ranked it's different.

Is this really surprising?

I mean part of a previous post was "We're trying to work out how to get more people to do PvP."

This was then followed by "We're going to have a new augment rank that you will have to do PvP for part of the materials for."

So they want to force people to PvP, or pay the extortionate prices that the materials will be put on the GTN for, and will punish you if you miss your queue popping up.

You may have guessed from my comments that I don't enjoy PvP, this change now forces me to take part in a part of the game I have little to no interest in or spend all of my credits to get the new augments/materials for the augments. I do soo the other side of this though, those who don't like the PvE part of the end game have been punished previously since you can get very little form the PvP side. How about, novel idea, allowing both parts of the game be able to access them through commendations system with a weekly cap that can be obtrained in both PvE and PvP?

That's great...

... did you fix the bug where the Ranked queue isn't canceled when you get a GSF pop?

I've had it happen quite a few times that I was in the middle of a GSF match when Ranked popped up... and GSF being what it is, it wasn't possible to accept it. I mean, there are workarounds to get the mouse pointer back in GSF but those take time.

So they want to force people to PvP, or pay the extortionate prices that the materials will be put on the GTN for, and will punish you if you miss your queue popping up.

Dude you're latching on to someone who's post doesn't have any merit. If you're waiting on a timer for something and know you will have to leave, you shouldn't be in que for anything. Much less pvp.

Honestly I don't see why pve players complain so much about this change. No one's forcing you to pvp, just buy the mats you need on the market. In fact, your stream of revenue from flashpoints and operations is better than what pvp players get from warzones. Flashpoints and operations still drop more gear and Processed Isotope Stabilizers despite the content being far easier than pvp. All this change is doing is fostering a better ingame economy, by increasing the flow of credits between players who play differently. The fact is pve players have been focused by the devs for a long time which led to the pvp and ranked communities slowly dying out. Now that swtor has an influx of steam players from steam, the devs have a chance to repair some of the damage they've done. The changes are long overdue.

Edited by Llacertus

So if i am getting this right,

As someone that plays from Australia, If you are playing from a country or area that has bad internet and you DC, you are going to punish the player because of the internet.

Love your work. NOT!

Not just punish someone for DCing but your now also going to increase the timer every time they DC.

This is yet another great example of why people are quitting SWTOR.

I can see you don't care about anyone playing from other countries.

So if i am getting this right,

As someone that plays from Australia, If you are playing from a country or area that has bad internet and you DC, you are going to punish the player because of the internet.

Love your work. NOT!

Not just punish someone for DCing but your now also going to increase the timer every time they DC.

This is yet another great example of why people are quitting SWTOR.

I can see you don't care about anyone playing from other countries.

You can either make a game that benefits lag switchers, or that punishes people with lag.

You can either make a game that benefits intentional DCing, or punishes people who DC.

There is no middle ground.

It's better for every game just to punish people with bad connections, because people with good connections can suddenly have bad connections whenever they choose.

Everything you mentioned pertained to ranked pvp. If you have a bad connection, with huge lag spikes and random DCs, then you need to think about your "right" to do ranked pvp, and how that effects the other 3 people on your team.

Lets say I get up to take something off the stove or what have you, and come back to see I missed the queue pop. Are you telling me now my friends have to wait 5-15 minutes for me to play with them again? This is a sure fire way to decrease pvp interest entirely lol.

But then again, you missing the pop causes others to have an uneven match.

I personally leave the queue (PvP or PvE) when I think I might not get back in time. I will get a drink while queueing cause I know I can get back to my PC within a minute, but pretty much anything else I will leave the queue. Why? Because I feel it would be anti-social of me to stay in the queue if I think there's a fair chance of me not making it back in time. So that's my perspective on yours.

And considering how few people actually play PvP these days, it might be a situation of losing a handful of players and bringing back a lot more players who are willing to try to PvP again because BW is backing them with these changes.

Unranked:

Hi, please leave unranked alone. Make whatever changes you feel necessary to your ranked games, but please don't put punishments on your players for unranked matches. I say this knowing that changes once put in are generally not rolled back BUT THIS REALLY SHOULD BE. Thanks Chris.

Hi, please leave unranked alone. Make whatever changes you feel necessary to your ranked games, but please don't put punishments on your players for unranked matches. I say this knowing that changes once put in are generally not rolled back BUT THIS REALLY SHOULD BE. Thanks Chris.

They are leaving it alone, the lockout will stay in place and not be changed.

Forcing players into game modes/games/situations which they do not enjoy does not seem wise during a time of dwindling population.

To me it appears you're pandering to a very loud, never satisfied, minority of the pvp community.

Edited by Managuense

Then perhaps you shouldn't queue or be in the middle of a PvP match when you have something you know that you'll need to take care of? If your friends don't want to wait a few minutes you can always join the group when that task is done.

Note: I'm not talking about unexpected emergencies. :p

Killing the rest of pvp because you cant acknowledge your ranked format is ***** 2020

Before I had to stop PvP for issues with my computer, I did not notice a trend of more competitive games due to the deserter penalty. There are still the numbers farmers who give not one iota to winning, which makes the deserter penalty insult to injury. I'd rather be frustrated by deserters than even ONE instance of receiving a stupid debuff because of a connection issue that is beyond my ability to control (unranked). Mind you, it's only happened once, but I was incensed. Who likes being punished for something you did NOT do?

So, that's my opinion on it.

Hmm nice, very nice, I like the part about the "account-based" lockout, thats the best one!

This will assist in preventing the same jagoffs from then just wasting time in regs where its been heill. good change!

Sadly it seems they bring something in but then take forever to repair. Hope this will just get better and better faster.

Now if we can see hackers and exploiters getting more serious bans Ill be really happy

It's nice that you have concerns about quality of matches and you apply deserter debuff for leavers, but what about players that do things that decrease quality of games even much further and thus are much bigger derail to the team? You know like those that go afk instead of leave and requeue or like 90% of players in regs that have no basics in knowledge about their class abilities, rotations or defensives because they have learnt nothing during leveling either in PvE that is super easy or in PvP because it practically doesn't exist and brings no real incentive to queue; or those PvO (player vs objectives) that ignore objectives completely and for them winning is about getting their ego stroked by the big useless dps/hps numbers even when they get the big sucker purple DEFEAT pop-up window at the end of match. Edited by black_pyros