Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Option to Turn OFF XP boost

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

CrazyCT
02.04.2017 , 04:19 AM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by HelinCarnate View Post
You can skip all the planet quests and be too low of level. But honestly, what difference does it make to you if someone else wants to level slower when the game mechanics are already there to turn it off? None. Let those that are odd and want to level slow, level slowly.
It doesn't affect me, but if you are skipping as many missions as possible, why are you asking for XP to be cut so you can play at your own pace?

Skipping missions so you can play the story at the right level? You're going to miss a big chunk of story doing that.
"An argument must have opposition if it is to prove itself."
Queen of the White Knights <==== Click to pay tribute to your Queen
Once managed to use "Obfuscate" in a sentence. Allegedly sounds like.....Robbie Williams?

Mowermanx
02.04.2017 , 04:28 AM | #32
This is the only game i've played that doesn't give you the option, and I play a lot.
But what do you expect from this studio? Its exciting!

HelinCarnate
02.04.2017 , 04:36 AM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by CrazyCT View Post
It doesn't affect me, but if you are skipping as many missions as possible, why are you asking for XP to be cut so you can play at your own pace?

Skipping missions so you can play the story at the right level? You're going to miss a big chunk of story doing that.
Why does it matter? Should your inability to understand their reasoning prevent them from playing the game how they want to play it when the mechanics to turn off the bonus XP are already in the game?
Dear BW,
Please nerf paper and buff rock. Scissors is fine as is.
Signed, Rock.
http://www.swtor.com/r/mB5FPn obligatory referral link.

HelinCarnate
02.04.2017 , 05:32 AM | #34
And you didn't answer my question. Why would you want the XP to but cut if the level is locked and you can't play as a higher level anyway? Doesn't matter if you are 20 or 70, you're still going to be level 18 on DK while doing all the story quests.
The answer to your question is irrelevant. Personally I don't want the xp cut but their are others that do for whatever reason they want. The ability to turn off the extra boosts are in the game already so no extra development time is needed. What is wrong with allowing those people to be able to play the way they want?
Dear BW,
Signed, Rock.

RahaylaCora
02.04.2017 , 05:50 AM | #35
And you didn't answer my question. Why would you want the XP to but cut if the level is locked and you can't play as a higher level anyway? Doesn't matter if you are 20 or 70, you're still going to be level 18 on DK while doing all the story quests.
I am one of those supporting, from time ago, the option to turn off xp from events. There is a situation in this game in where you still can find some fun, and is playing underleveled 3 or 4 levels. You can miss shots, your enemies can dodge your attacks, they hit you harder. Gear not updated to your level helps to make things harder. Not every fight is demanding, but Elites and champions can still put you into problems. That kind of fun was removed in favour to those players asking for a faster way of leveling, so experience points were boosted everywhere and enemies made weaker, and the game broken for those of us that like the placebo of "game is challenging" growing our characters.

So now, the only way to keep yourself underleveled is skipping a lot of content. Sure the game experience, from a story and lore point of view, is a little bit worse, but while you can stay underleveled in your story you still can feel some kind of danger in your wanderings over the galaxy. XP events force players to play in a way not originally intended, but to "gift" some players with a boost in their leveling, something that every player don't have to accept. The turn off has been asked for years, and should be implemented as they did with the Acute Stone that got rid of 12x xp event. A game with options is much better game than a game with only one way of playing, because aims for more players' tastes.

And if a player uses the Turn off option, why other players that won't use it are so concern how other players play the game? As if that affects them somehow for worse. Level sync doesn't solve this situation, and it is not an answer to deny that the game needs a Turn off xp option.

HelinCarnate
02.04.2017 , 06:00 AM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by RahaylaCora View Post
I am one of those supporting, from time ago, the option to turn off xp from events. There is a situation in this game in where you still can find some fun, and is playing underleveled 3 or 4 levels. You can miss shots, your enemies can dodge your attacks, they hit you harder. Gear not updated to your level helps to make things harder. Not every fight is demanding, but Elites and champions can still put you into problems. That kind of fun was removed in favour to those players asking for a faster way of leveling, so experience points were boosted everywhere and enemies made weaker, and the game broken for those of us that like the placebo of "game is challenging" growing our characters.

So now, the only way to keep yourself underleveled is skipping a lot of content. Sure the game experience, from a story and lore point of view, is a little bit worse, but while you can stay underleveled in your story you still can feel some kind of danger in your wanderings over the galaxy. XP events force players to play in a way not originally intended, but to "gift" some players with a boost in their leveling, something that every player don't have to accept. The turn off has been asked for years, and should be implemented as they did with the Acute Stone that got rid of 12x xp event. A game with options is much better game than a game with only one way of playing, because aims for more players' tastes.

And if a player uses the Turn off option, why other players that won't use it are so concern how other players play the game? As if that affects them somehow for worse. Level sync doesn't solve this situation, and it is not an answer to deny that the game needs a Turn off xp option.
So after not really understanding the reasoning behind why people were wanting this I made a new character and have skipped everything but the class quests. I just got my ship at lvl 13 and it has been actually more fun than I thought. So far it still isn't much of a challenge, things just take longer to die and I don't end fights with full health like when I am over leveled, but I expect things to get more difficult as the spread in levels gets larger.
Dear BW,
Signed, Rock.

RahaylaCora
02.04.2017 , 06:21 AM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by HelinCarnate View Post
So after not really understanding the reasoning behind why people were wanting this I made a new character and have skipped everything but the class quests. I just got my ship at lvl 13 and it has been actually more fun than I thought. So far it still isn't much of a challenge, things just take longer to die and I don't end fights with full health like when I am over leveled, but I expect things to get more difficult as the spread in levels gets larger.
I can give you a couple of tips: companions are still very powerfull, so i turn off their 3 right abilities in their abilities bar, so they don't crush enemies easily. Not the best solution, but still you can fight with them and listen to their comments. As they gain influence they are much better than you, so tweaking his abilities is the only help to make things "worse", but not much. Anyway, for some champions I found myself activating some of my companions' abilities instead of improving my gear for that particular combat when I realize that my gear got too old to have a chance of victory. How and when to improve the gear is up to you as you feel how the game is going on.

4 levels below is the way to play. 5 levels can make enemies untouchable (that is a game mechanic that we can't override). 3 levels or less make things end faster. So adding a couple of planet exploration missions is better than going to a flashpoint or a pvp match to keep you on that aim. The experience points earned are less and much under control to stay 4 levels below.

The game starts to be more challenging (if we can use that term properly) in Alderaan or Balmorra, when the enemies start to use abilities that require your CC, interrupts, cleanse and they can pull and push to put you in troubles.

Smuglebunny
02.04.2017 , 06:29 AM | #38
The people with the worst ideas are the most arrogant and loudest.

CelynthePhoenix
02.04.2017 , 07:16 AM | #39
But.....people were already getting overlevelled when levelling up, so what does it matter if you're overlevelled by 1 level or 10? You're still going to be doing the same quests locked at the same level. At least the OP had a point with PvP, with people just talking about "playing at their own pace", it makes no real difference.

The only difference levelling makes is adding some extra skills, which you can just choose not to use.
Why do I have to justify myself for asking for an option that has already been implemented once to get implemented again?

When I play a new toon, I like to do everything story related. Class missions, planetary missions, secondary missions and most exploration missions along with the solo flashpoints and I don't want to be level 70 by the time I leave Tatooine.
It doesn't bother you, fine, all the power to you! But it bothers me enough that I will not play the toons I want play for two months because of it when a simple fix could make everyone happy!

Edited: I'm about 5 levels above the locked one when I play my way, it's already too much for me but I can live with that because I play for the lore, the cutscenes and the dialogues options more than anything else, if I want a tough fight, I do an operation or a master falshpoint with my guild.
Spending 75% of the story at maximum level while my healer companion one shots everything is no fun at all for me and the grind fest that is Galactic Command doesn't fix that!

Asheris
02.04.2017 , 08:48 AM | #40
I don't get it. The awful idea that is planet scaling was implemented just for you guys - for the exp haters. You cannot outlevel anything and if you play for fun and lore - what difference does it make if you are 10 or 70? You will never fight grey mobs again regardless?
Have a Darkside Cookie, it may contain traces of awesome stuff!