Stay Sentinel, Go Guardian...

darthfusion

So when I first started playing SWTOR, I created a Jedi Knight. I got to the Fleet, made her a Sentinel and went on my way.

Then, I created a Sith Warrior, got to the Fleet, made her a Marauder, *THEN* realized it was pretty well the same thing... I've more or less finished the Warrior, and wanted to go back to my Jedi to play through the story.

I have yet to play a Guardian or Juggernaut.

I won't be PVP-ing, and I'm not too worried about endgame.

I'm debating about 2 options, and looking for opinions on the matter.

1. Restart the Jedi as a Guardian, play through as a Tank this time. But Jedi Side. (Although, it looks like the Jedi healer might be as annoying as Quinn...)

2. I enjoyed the Marauder, I've heard the Sentinel Animations are actually a bit different. Stay with the Sentinel, maybe make a Juggernaut/Guardian later on... (I hated quinn, so I'd maybe wait until I unlock Treek to do this). And I was really looking forward to Dual 'Light-Side' Sabers... 1x Blue, 1x Green ;)

I'm thinking it might come down to, is the Guardian different enough to warrant restarting a character? Would a Guardian be as fun/more fun to play? If playing the Tanky-style, could the Juggernaut be more fun than the Guardian.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

I have a marauder, then i made a guardian. as I'm crazy I made all the lvling as tank, seems leveling as dps is much more easier, but I like challenge, I even made the guardian ds.

I like tanking so much, altought my mara is my main char, I've also made a jugg that i'm lvling atm.

I like both animation but if you want to have also achievement, you need 2 warrior to have jaesa ls and ds :)

Ok, I have a 55 Marauder that I have literally benched because it's just boring to play... DPS Guardian is really FUN! You get your hardest hitting ability Master Strike on essentially a 9 second CD if procs are shining on you, or when 2.6 rolls round when you get 2 stacks of Zen Strike you can do a second master strike. you get some of the cooler anmations in the game, like Plasma Brand and Overhead Slash, though I do admit I have both a 38 Guardian and a 21 Juggernaut, both are leveled that far with PvP and Flashpoints, also you can tank mid level flashpoints as Vigilance with tank stance and a shield, if you have a decent healer with you.

TL;DR get rid of the one you liked the story most, pvp and flashpoint that one to mid 30's and play it for the story, my Guardian is level 38 and is doing Alderrann ATM, so I have only had to look at my story and can cohesively follow it. I can pass all of the planets through to Hoth with being at 38, and if I do more PvP and Flashpoints, I can blaze up to 40 and skip Hoth's quests and just do my story. So, make a Guardian if you liked Knight story most, or a Juggernaut if you liked Warrior story. Doc is actually a pretty cool character, but the only Companion you should ever use as a Knight/Warrior is Kira/Jaesa, they are literally the only companion you ever need.

For variety's sake, go Guardian.

Balance wise, DPS Guardian is a tad weaker than the Sentinel. Sentinels deal more damage, more survivable, and have more utility. (Dont let the "heavy armor" fool you)

I am not sure what the dude above me is smoking, Vigilance Guardians at the moment have an asymmetrical yet near perfectly linear rotation that varies very little from fight to fight. Combat Sentinel is a lot more dynamic and powerful, and IMO a lot more interesting (I have a Guardian and a Jug at 55, my Mara and Sentinel are both at like 31)

Also, healer companion as a guardian tank? You are asking for a lightmarishly long leveling experience. It works well with Shadow/Assassin tank because they actually have decent DPS. Guardian Tank I think has the lowest DPS in the game, so stick with Kira Carsen or Rusk(DPS companions)

Vigilance is getting a top-heavy buff (only really noticeable at like level 40) before that they are still weak as can be. Go tank until you get Scourge, then if you dont like it regear and respec as Vigilance and run with Scourge (tank). As with all tank companions, you pretty much need to keep them better geared than even yourself.

Any further questions?

• 3 weeks later...
If you go tank, you don't need a healer to level. Quite the opposite. Use a dps companion.

You don't need a healer comp to level anything. Healer companions are needed to solo CC-immune Champions (although, Heroic Moment+Legacy powers do make short work of those too, at least as far as non worldboss Champs in the open world go) for non-healer characters.

As far as class choice goes, if you have a Marauder, there's logical reason to roll a Sentinel (unless you're filling all 16 character slots with every AC).

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I haven't played a guardian yet but I have played a Sith Jugg all the way to 50. It is a gear dependant class, specially if you solo 95% of the time like I did. I found the story line fabulous and loved every minute of it. Vette can be annoying if you are really trying to be evil, because she is so hot and you want to please her you end up becomming a slightly soft (light sided) Sith.

At 50 before I took a break last year I had grouped with other Juggs while playing my Sorc who were in some pretty top gear and I literally had to run to keep up with them through the flashpoint. I would stop to cast and by the time it went off the mob was nearly dead. It was insane.

I hope that helps you decide.

dont listen to the fools, carson = best comp for guardian period, scourge? really? your gear must stink if you need him to tank anything in this game. i leveled as tank with kiara, and blew things away, and made her unstoppable with guard, and also played vig, which now is pretty dam good spec. not as good as sent mind you. but its nice. stop listening to people who say roll with a tank comp, fights will last that much longer, and why waste better tank gear on comp when you need the tank gear and a dps set for self? just get dps and tank gear, and let kiara spank everything while you guard her....you wont need heals period...

besides, stop looking at scourges cack, and start admireing kiaras nice firm round booooobies!