Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Ruffian/Lethality Guide


Dropfall's Avatar


Dropfall
12.08.2014 , 07:28 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by KeyboardNinja View Post
Thermal Grenade hits secondary targets for operatives. Or at least, it did on the PTS and also every time I've checked it on live.

But yeah, AoE is the weak spot. I basically don't touch the dot spreading. It's just not worth it. Generally the answer to aoe DPS for ruffian is doing more single target dps and getting to the other targets sooner. :-S
'Nade only does the lower of two damage values to secondary targets, and does not provide the knockback effect that is applied to the main target.

Operative AOE is just woeful.

KeyboardNinja's Avatar


KeyboardNinja
12.08.2014 , 10:48 AM | #12
Fortunately, there's really only one boss where that matters much, and the single-target sustain is more important on that boss.
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dilettante on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (retired sentinel) Nimri (ruffian scoundrel)
Averith (marksman sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (vengeance jugg) Effek (pyro pt)

December 13, 2011 to January 30, 2017

eartharioch's Avatar


eartharioch
12.10.2014 , 05:03 PM | #13
Nice job -- any chance for a Concealment/Scrapper guide?
Q: What did the five fingers say to the face?
A: It's a SLAP!
This is not my referral link

KeyboardNinja's Avatar


KeyboardNinja
12.10.2014 , 05:25 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by eartharioch View Post
Nice job -- any chance for a Concealment/Scrapper guide?
I'm holding out for someone who knows what they're doing to post one of those. :-D I've played with new Scrapper for probably all of fifteen minutes (on the PTS). Raulos and Elethon have both gotten some fantastic results with it, so I'm hoping that one of them will step up and bless us with their superior wisdom.
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dilettante on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (retired sentinel) Nimri (ruffian scoundrel)
Averith (marksman sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (vengeance jugg) Effek (pyro pt)

December 13, 2011 to January 30, 2017

samhinch's Avatar


samhinch
12.11.2014 , 03:10 PM | #15
I switch between scrapper and ruffian and as for scrapper the shank shot is a huge Improvement, blood boiler is disappointing. But the sustainable damage from ruffian with point blank shot for some burst makes pve and PvP viable. Idk my two cents.

KeyboardNinja's Avatar


KeyboardNinja
12.11.2014 , 03:59 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by samhinch View Post
I switch between scrapper and ruffian and as for scrapper the shank shot is a huge Improvement, blood boiler is disappointing. But the sustainable damage from ruffian with point blank shot for some burst makes pve and PvP viable. Idk my two cents.
I ran Scrapper a bit last night for the target swapping (e.g. on Underlurker). It was tremendously more fun than it used to be. I actually really like Blood Boiler and the way it drifts through the rotation (it's really what causes things to not be quite as static), and the fact that we no longer need to maintain Vital Shot makes everything feel so much better.

I mean, I still love Ruffian, and Ruffian still does better sustained damage, but it's nice that the alternative DPS discipline is finally in a state where I can stomach playing it.
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dilettante on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (retired sentinel) Nimri (ruffian scoundrel)
Averith (marksman sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (vengeance jugg) Effek (pyro pt)

December 13, 2011 to January 30, 2017

Danylia's Avatar


Danylia
12.12.2014 , 02:58 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by KeyboardNinja View Post
and the fact that we no longer need to maintain Vital Shot makes everything feel so much better.
If you don't mind me hijacking Ruffian guide for Scrapper question:

What about Blood Boiler and the UH regrant from Round Two? Do you rely only on Flechette Round for both, despite the narrow window (6 seconds) and non-synchronized cooldowns (10s, 12s and 18s)?
Quote: Originally Posted by Rafkin View Post
Last nights group finder was a mess. The short version is that two of the people were really bad but the tank was pretty good. After we called it I asked the tank if he wanted to queue up with me. He said "I'm eleven and I have to go to bed".
The one guy who knew what he was doing was eleven years old.

KeyboardNinja's Avatar


KeyboardNinja
12.12.2014 , 05:44 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Danylia View Post
If you don't mind me hijacking Ruffian guide for Scrapper question:

What about Blood Boiler and the UH regrant from Round Two? Do you rely only on Flechette Round for both, despite the narrow window (6 seconds) and non-synchronized cooldowns (10s, 12s and 18s)?
I think I may have been screwing up my rotation, because I was just using Blood Boiler on cooldown. Does anyone know off hand how long the debuff lasts? I may have inadvertently allowed one or two to fall off unexploded. As for the upper hand regrant, it no longer requires a bleed to activate. Thus, Flechette Round is basically just extra damage and a way of cheaply detonating Blood Boiler.
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dilettante on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (retired sentinel) Nimri (ruffian scoundrel)
Averith (marksman sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (vengeance jugg) Effek (pyro pt)

December 13, 2011 to January 30, 2017

BobaFaceroll's Avatar


BobaFaceroll
12.12.2014 , 06:06 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by KeyboardNinja View Post
I think I may have been screwing up my rotation, because I was just using Blood Boiler on cooldown. Does anyone know off hand how long the debuff lasts? I may have inadvertently allowed one or two to fall off unexploded. As for the upper hand regrant, it no longer requires a bleed to activate. Thus, Flechette Round is basically just extra damage and a way of cheaply detonating Blood Boiler.
Blood Boiler lingers for six seconds if memory serves. I'll check when I get home if someone hasn't given a definitive answer in the next hour.

Round Two still requires that you hit a bleeding target in order to re-grant Upper Hand.

Edit: Did it get stealth changed? Blood Boiler lingers on the target for 15 seconds. It didn't wait that long at initial release.

TACeMossie's Avatar


TACeMossie
12.13.2014 , 12:31 AM | #20
Blood boiler on cooldown should be fine.

Go for something like:

Bludgeon -> Sucker Punch/Backblast -> Sucker Punch -> Filler

Where filler is Blood Boiler on cooldown, then Vital Shot if you have the energy for it, then Shank Shot if its available, and finally if all of the above can't happen you go Flurry of Bolts.

That should pretty much cover the Scrapper rotation.
Kwerty/Mossie

Once a guy who wrote guides, now just a guy getting back in
Vanguards/Powertechs 4 lyf