[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

/facepalm

25 man raids in wow, spelleffect + Ultra detail everything on high 65 fps ..... yeah seems MMO cant handle it right?

DDO Ultra res pack, dx10-11 spelleffect 4-8 AA 1080p runs flawlessly , yeah mmo's cant handle high fidelity......

maybe 7 years ago it was unpossible, but now its possible , its very much possible

What do you think the resolution is on those WoW textures? Let me save you some time-- "Ultra" is not an answer.

1024x1024 textures are serious business !

512x512 textures are GAMEBREAKING !

- signed, the MMORPG Global Technical Director

They're not 512x512 textures that are the problem. Its called LOD clamping. "Atlassing" as they call it. But its effectively clamping texture LOD to 50% resolution in live world spaces.

512x512 resolution textures don't have to look like crap, in fact I can make 512x512 textures right now and put them in any modifiable game of my choice and they won't look like the pixelated trash we're seeing in TOR, and its because the engines of those games aren't clamping my mip map LOD to mip level 4 instead of mip level 1.

BTW I can, and have, made modifiable overrides for any number of MMO games over the years, including WoW, and most of the texture bases I worked with in those overrides were 256x256 or 512x512 and none of them were LOD clamped so they all looked fine in comparison to their engine environment.

This is hilarious. The situation is very thoroughly spelled out by that dev, but people still whine like children having a tantrum.

MMORPGs have always had to deal with this 'don't know how many people will be on screen' limitation. It's inherent to the genre and isn't going away anytime soon. The problem is mathematical-- no amount of kicking and screaming and blubbering will change anything.

Seriously, I hope most of you are 12 or under, because this is just hilariously pathetic.

Every other modern MMO has had hi res textures.

Edited by Pyrolight

Quoted from massively user Deliverator:

"THIS IS ALL CAUSED BY BIOWARE IMPLEMENTING REMOTE RENDERING AS A FORM OF COPY PROTECTION. THIS IS THE DIFFERENCE PEOPLE ARE EXPERIENCING BETWEEN THE HIGH SETTINGS DURING BETA AND THE SETTINGS AVAILABLE NOW.

Massively - what you missed is that the High Rez textures worked fine in the Beta. For release, they implemented REMOTE RENDERING. What's actually happening is that they can't handle the network traffic generated by remotely rendering higher rez textures.

Let me repeat - High Rez doesn't work because of anti-piracy DRM shenanigans, not because they're concerned about players' machines. They're remote rendering so people who have purchased the game won't be able to dig through Lucas's precious artwork for their fan sites.

Again - they're remote rendering so you can't 'steal' what you bought already. Its copy protection and they're willing to go so far as to gimp the game and lie to cover it up.

Remote rendering is the cause of all of the frame drops and slow downs as well as advanced rendering features not working, We pay big money to buy the machines that have gigantic pipes between all of our components, especially to the GPUs. Internet throughput is nowhere near the bandwidth on your motherboard."

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/11/swtor-senior-community-manager-responds-to-high-res-texture-conc/4#comments

What do you think the resolution is on those WoW textures? Let me save you some time-- "Ultra" is not an answer.

Not only in wow, many other mmo's can Present a high detail level WITHOUT compromising Performance, setting are there to tailor the Eyecandy according to your PC

Pixelated textures are things of the past, no excuse for it, was in beta and now its gone for mellow reasons

To those who were wondering if it was actually true that high rez textures existed in beta, here's some footage which clearly shows high rez textures.

AND it was taken in march 2011, at PAX East.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar64ly0B-mU&feature=related

In fact, just google PAX East Swtor and you'll see hundreds of videos and screenshots where it's blatantly obvious (even recorded with camera phones) that the characters are in high rez.

Also, rolled.

Why do development UIs always, always, always look better than the live UI?

You know it's funny, I would have rather had this UI that's 10 months old, for one the party frames aren't annoying as hell.

Not to feed the flames here... but I'm extremely disappointed by Bioware's decision on the matter, and I'm pretty confident that their decision to cater to the lowest common denominator and only that, will not work to their advantage.

This is the first time I have ever played an MMO where developers have decided to halve the texture quality not as an option but as a mandatory change across all clients. It's unforgivable, and the reasons behind it are ridiculous.

Until now, I've been tinkering a lot with the .ini as well as NvidiaInspector to try to force high res character textures.

Thinking it was an LOD bug, I forced the LOD bias to -3.00 and noticed something else happening instead. It seems we may not even be getting the best environment textures the game has to offer because the standard LOD refuses to render them.

I've attached screenshots below for comparison between what the game is rendering at standard "high" settings, and what the game renders with LOD bias forced below the standard threshold.

Standard LOD:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j136/Cgramnaes/SWTOR_No_LOD.jpg

Forced LOD:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j136/Cgramnaes/SWTOR_Forced_LOD.jpg

I should also mention that the change has made no impact on my FPS, and has if anything made the game run smoother for me.

Mother of God, look at the difference that makes. We might have struck gold if we can force these textures :D

LOL, got any other old standby's you can post instead of actually thinking for a moment? Maybe you can tell me about how you make female characters 'because I'd rather stare at a girl's butt than a man's' or something.

If they spent half the time they spent making butts this good looking (both male and female) optimizing their engines, this wouldnt be a problem.

I for one am shocked. Was busting my *** to build a beast machine (which I did for recording/editing purposes) and high graphical gameplay.

I cannot believe they are using the excuse "for better performace" crap. This game is not properly coded well, it's not optimized for anything! There are a number of bugs and the Hero engine was never my favorite!

I cannot believe they can just downgrade us while advertising everything looking so epic. I love this game, I can't stop playing it. I feel gosh darn betrayed though. Why would you do this to your fans?

Thanks for the game but damn.. did you have to half *** it at the end like that? Too busy counting your game sales revenue?

Standard LOD:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j136/Cgramnaes/SWTOR_No_LOD.jpg

Forced LOD:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j136/Cgramnaes/SWTOR_Forced_LOD.jpg

I should also mention that the change has made no impact on my FPS, and has if anything made the game run smoother for me.

haha ur a funny guy that second screenshot is just a different game, nice try

WoW textures are far better than TOR textures in game.

You can force the environment textures to show like that... but Character LODs are clamped somewhere else... No idea how you'd force that, and I'm pretty sure you can't.

what I find hilarious is that there are a few people complaining about low FPS and yet they are some of the same ones complaining they don't have high res textures.

I'm not complaining out the lack of high res textures as I would just be happy if I just had reasonable FPS, but the only setting that has any obvious impact to my FPS is shadows. Otherwise I get my 4 FPS whether I fight with low textures or medium textures, bloom or no bloom, etc...

This is hilarious. The situation is very thoroughly spelled out by that dev, but people still whine like children having a tantrum.

MMORPGs have always had to deal with this 'don't know how many people will be on screen' limitation. It's inherent to the genre and isn't going away anytime soon. The problem is mathematical-- no amount of kicking and screaming and blubbering will change anything.

Seriously, I hope most of you are 12 or under, because this is just hilariously pathetic.

You'd actually have had a point if every other MMO I've played* didn't handle this exact same issue by allowing the end user to decide how much 'eye candy' to sacrifice in favor of performance. We simply are expecting the status quo, not a step backward.

* EverQuest, Shadowbane, Dark Age of Camelot, EverQuest 2, World of Warcraft, EVE Online, Lineage 2, Pirates of the Burning Sea, Vanguard, Warhammer Online, Star Wars: Galaxies, RIFT.

Quoted from massively user Deliverator:

"THIS IS ALL CAUSED BY BIOWARE IMPLEMENTING REMOTE RENDERING AS A FORM OF COPY PROTECTION. THIS IS THE DIFFERENCE PEOPLE ARE EXPERIENCING BETWEEN THE HIGH SETTINGS DURING BETA AND THE SETTINGS AVAILABLE NOW.

Massively - what you missed is that the High Rez textures worked fine in the Beta. For release, they implemented REMOTE RENDERING. What's actually happening is that they can't handle the network traffic generated by remotely rendering higher rez textures.

Let me repeat - High Rez doesn't work because of anti-piracy DRM shenanigans, not because they're concerned about players' machines. They're remote rendering so people who have purchased the game won't be able to dig through Lucas's precious artwork for their fan sites.

Again - they're remote rendering so you can't 'steal' what you bought already. Its copy protection and they're willing to go so far as to gimp the game and lie to cover it up.

Remote rendering is the cause of all of the frame drops and slow downs as well as advanced rendering features not working, We pay big money to buy the machines that have gigantic pipes between all of our components, especially to the GPUs. Internet throughput is nowhere near the bandwidth on your motherboard."

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/11/swtor-senior-community-manager-responds-to-high-res-texture-conc/4#comments

They've been remote rendering world element textures since at least 2009, evidence of asset streaming goes back as far as the earliest betas. But I can't see why they'd have not given priority to actual player assets as thats the carrot on the stick in MMO's, people are defined by their gear, if their gear looks like crap, then its not all that compelling.

That's cut-scene footage for the quest "Comrades in Arms" on Sith-side Balmorra. Your argument would be more sound if you post game--not cut-scene--footage.

Otherwise, I'm in the same "this is crap" boat as everyone else.

I agree. That's from a cutscene. You can tell because of the depth of field effect.

Anyways... I hope you guys get what you want, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

I think:

"The development team is exploring options to improve the fidelity of the game, particularly for those of you with high-spec PCs. It will be a significant piece of development work and it won't be an overnight change, but we're listening and we're committed to reacting to your feedback."

Is about as good as you're going to get from a first response. If you want more from a second, you have to be willing to compromise more than "Enable High Res Textures now or I'm unsubbing today."

Edited by Daemonjax

I have a feeling this game gonna be like FF XIV

You mean they might let us all play free for a year, because they realize the released a good experience buried in bugs, rushed code, and abysmal design decisions?

I... would accept that.