New Video Series: The Basics of PVP #1: Line of Sight (LOS)

Thenoobistcolony

I've started up a new video series on the basics of PVP. These videos will be aimed at informing new pvpers and mmo noobs of some fairly fundamental practices in pvp.

Enjoy #1 LOS (line of Sight)

Cheers

All subsequent videos can be found in this thread:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=307620

Edited by Thenoobistcolony

And mercs.

@OP: Good idea for a series, I think LoS is too advanced for the very first episode, but it's a good thing to know anyway

Personally i would have made episode 1 about unbinding S and giving it a better use, there are far to many backpeddlers in every MMO, but that's just me.

Are you trolling?

"Had my teammates been a little more attentive I might have survived"

Yeah, as a healer I am looking to heal some random noob who is nowhere near the ball carrier and seems to be playing his own little mini-game of 'staying alive'.

had you paid attention you'd see that I am a healer....noob

are you trolling?

Stopped watching at "unbind your S key".

Anyone who plays a melee class knows that proper positioning involves staying behind your target as much as possible so that they cannot easily retaliate. This occasionally requires you to fine-tune your position with backpedal steps.

Also, you're playing a Sage so I guess you won't understand this next part:

Killing a ranged class involves coming into LOS so you can attack them. Melee doesn't get the luxury of weaving into and out of LOS. This is why "USE LOS LOL!" is an inane response to the melee vs. ranged argument.

Stopped watching at "unbind your S key".

Anyone who plays a melee class knows that proper positioning involves staying behind your target as much as possible so that they cannot easily retaliate. This occasionally requires you to fine-tune your position with backpedal steps.

Also, you're playing a Sage so I guess you won't understand this next part:

Killing a ranged class involves coming into LOS so you can attack them. Melee doesn't get the luxury of weaving into and out of LOS. This is why "USE LOS LOL!" is an inane response to the melee vs. ranged argument.

I guess you've got your mind made up about that whole "s" key thing. I'll let the joke be on you.

Strafing is always and i mean always (100 percent move speed) the better option when compared to backpedaling.....

never back pedal. ever.

I los all the time on my assassin. Los'ing allows me to break sage channels and or any ranged attacks.....not to mention seeth.....restealth....etc....

Also....the point of LOS is a defensive strategy....not "coming into LOS so you can attack them"

you sir are in need of more of my videos....

In game experience tells me your videos could help 100's or 1000's of people.

Good video, I hope bad players learn these simple concepts, stop yelling for random nerfs and just get generally better. And make no mistake, EVERY class can benefit from using LoS to their benefit - yes, even merc/commando.

Why would you "fine tune your position" with slowmo backpedaling when you can strafe instead. I mean we are talking about tenths of a second here but that **** adds up.

Also, taking the advice of ed park aka taugrim, i unbound WASD completely and never looked back. W and R are my strafe keys and thats it for movement keys period. E makes a good key for spammable attack.

Are you trolling?

"Had my teammates been a little more attentive I might have survived"

Yeah, as a healer I am looking to heal some random noob who is nowhere near the ball carrier and seems to be playing his own little mini-game of 'staying alive'.

Well, as opposed to playing the mini-game of "getting roflpwnd?"

Huttball is a terrible wz anyway. I can't tell you how much I'd love to be near the ball carrier but knockback, knockback, knockback, knockback into the fire/acid pit (Resolve trolololol)

Thats what I don't like when playing healer everyone keeps los'ing behind stuff or running out of range, for example on civil war stay and fight around the towers, and don't jump down from the area, to get away from a single attacker when you have someone healing you, heals will only get interrupted. When I see someone like that I just throw a bubble + hot then let them bunny jump however much they want.

Damnit now everyone will know how to beat Gunslingers!

Switch to DF and use LOS yourself to minimize how much damage you take while bleeding people out.

That being said, yeah lack of self heal makes SS/MM really bad off with LOS. As an SS/MM you really just want to root/burst until they die and not let them LOS you - even though the game maps are just about as LOS friendly as you can get without having just rows and rows of pillars.

I've started up a new video series on the basics of PVP. These videos will be aimed at informing new pvpers and mmo noobs of some fairly fundamental practices in pvp.

Enjoy #1 LOS (line of Sight)

Cheers

What a worthless clip. Is the next series on how blankets work?

Backpeddaling to try and LOS someone is useless. However backpedal is not, especially on a ranged class.

There are situations when you want to increase the distance between you and an enemy without turning. A strafe will not always increase distance. Here is a perfect example. Lets say I am have a melee class comming after me who has used up there leap. I am ranged so I will back pedal to reduce the speed at which they can close the gap while using attacks that I don't have to channel. Heck I might even toss a root or stun on them. If I was to strafe left or right in this situation the melee class would simply have to turn left or right to compensate for my movement and thus the change in position does not buy me any more time to deal damage or let cool downs pop.

In the examples you have given while you were able to LOS the opponent you also LOS yourself. This means you have taken yourself out of combat and reduced your effectiveness. Also there are situations where strafing left or right will bring you into LOS of other players when all you really want to do is increase your distance from an opponent.

I will agree that backpeddaling is situational and that strafing is prefered but it is not useless.