Latency Spikes - SF

LegionAlpha

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just found this thread. I've been playing all day and it has been fine until around 6-9 PM PST. The spikes are so bad that you can't play the game. Everything else is fine. I am in Los Angeles and it has been happening pretty regularly for the last month. When I run with my ops team, it usually 1 or 2 members that experience the same latency with me. The rest are unaffected by it. Caught few of the spike episode on stream but tonight's is the worst. It spiked close to 90k but it never disconnected then it drops to 190 ms.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/753324556

Where are you located?

It seems to be sending you to the west coast after Washington and then back to Washington again. That is definitely a routing problem your ISP should help you with.

I am in Wisconsin. I am skeptical of the idea of my ISP helping with something like this - to get into the weeds of routing to one specific IP for one customer out of millions. I am not even sure by what avenue I would approach them about it.

I'm also wondering at this point if that's really the issue - although certainly the trace does suggest something like that, on the other hand we're seeing reports of the same problem from people in different parts of the country, and I even tried a VPN tonight going through a different geographical location and had a very similar problem. I also had the same problem when trying to connect to the EU servers, going through a very different route. These things do make me thing it's something that has to do with EA more than some kind of backbone problem.

I am in Wisconsin. I am skeptical of the idea of my ISP helping with something like this - to get into the weeds of routing to one specific IP for one customer out of millions. I am not even sure by what avenue I would approach them about it.

I'm also wondering at this point if that's really the issue - although certainly the trace does suggest something like that, on the other hand we're seeing reports of the same problem from people in different parts of the country, and I even tried a VPN tonight going through a different geographical location and had a very similar problem. I also had the same problem when trying to connect to the EU servers, going through a very different route. These things do make me thing it's something that has to do with EA more than some kind of backbone problem.

Ive had time to look back at your pics and it would seem you are on a wireless connection, either in your house or you use a 4G connection?

When you get the red lines that I can see on the graph, they are disconnects to the internet. Which mean you are getting interference between your PC and the internet. (Neither are things Bioware can help you with)

So really, it looks like you have two seperate problems happening at the moment.

1. Your wireless connection might have interference or the connection is flaky between your house and the ISP (which is why using the VPN doesn’t change anything)

2. You are getting routed in a circle back to the west coast before going back to the east coast.

Are you able to connect your PC via cable to your router to see if you have a wifi issue?

Also, are you sharing the internet connection with any other devices while you are playing. Ie, someone streaming TV?

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I just found this thread. I've been playing all day and it has been fine until around 6-9 PM PST. The spikes are so bad that you can't play the game. Everything else is fine. I am in Los Angeles and it has been happening pretty regularly for the last month. When I run with my ops team, it usually 1 or 2 members that experience the same latency with me. The rest are unaffected by it. Caught few of the spike episode on stream but tonight's is the worst. It spiked close to 90k but it never disconnected then it drops to 190 ms.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/753324556

Run ping plotter and get back to us

Ive had time to look back at your pics and it would seem you are on a wireless connection, either in your house or you use a 4G connection?

When you get the red lines that I can see on the graph, they are disconnects to the internet. Which mean you are getting interference between your PC and the internet. (Neither are things Bioware can help you with)

So really, it looks like you have two seperate problems happening at the moment.

1. Your wireless connection might have interference or the connection is flaky between your house and the ISP (which is why using the VPN doesn’t change anything)

2. You are getting routed in a circle back to the west coast before going back to the east coast.

Are you able to connect your PC via cable to your router to see if you have a wifi issue?

Also, are you sharing the internet connection with any other devices while you are playing. Ie, someone streaming TV?

No, I am not on a wireless connection. There is not interference between my PC and the internet, either, as it works fine for every other IP I might try to connect to - it is only the SWTOR servers which see that happening, and only at certain times of day. It happens whether there is other internet usage or not, and I see no reason to think bandwidth is a problem: I can stream video on two or three different devices AND play another game without there being any problems with any of it - only SWTOR's servers do this.

Those red bars show up when the current latency for the hop where the problems are spikes up. All hops prior - from my PC to my router to my ISP's first node and so on - are still fine even when those red bars are there. It's only the problematic hop which is spiking and causing the red bars.

Edited by Skolops

I keep pingplotter up on my second monitor while playing the game, and when my latency spikes to several thousand ms or I get the red X in game, I also see the red bar on pingplotter, BUT I can still load any other website, keep watching or start a new video on youtube without any problem, etc. However, the swtor.com website does take extra time to load in these moments.

No, I am not on a wireless connection. There is not interference between my PC and the internet, either, as it works fine for every other IP I might try to connect to - it is only the SWTOR servers which see that happening, and only at certain times of day. It happens whether there is other internet usage or not, and I see no reason to think bandwidth is a problem: I can stream video on two or three different devices AND play another game without there being any problems with any of it - only SWTOR's servers do this.

Those red bars show up when the current latency for the hop where the problems are spikes up. All hops prior - from my PC to my router to my ISP's first node and so on - are still fine even when those red bars are there. It's only the problematic hop which is spiking and causing the red bars.

Ok, I see what’s happened, Can you post a full screen image that doesn’t cut off the other hops. I was looking on my phone and I thought the first hop in the image was hop 1 (old eyes).

The hidden ip’s with the packet loss won’t show and will always give 100% pack loss. That is normal for those types of hops.

The red bars are a disconnect with the internet along the route. it would seem there is an issue along the route. Probably a faulty router node at lvl 3, which is why you are being forced back to the west coast before going back to the east coast.

The only people that can help you with that is your isp. You really should call them and provide the ping plotter data you have shown us. That is your proof to force them to do something. If they are a half decent isp they can get that fixed. My isp all the way in Australia can get it fixed for me when it happens.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I keep pingplotter up on my second monitor while playing the game, and when my latency spikes to several thousand ms or I get the red X in game, I also see the red bar on pingplotter, BUT I can still load any other website, keep watching or start a new video on youtube without any problem, etc. However, the swtor.com website does take extra time to load in these moments.

That’s not the server though. It’s the routing through the faulty hop.

That’s not the server though. It’s the routing through the faulty hop.

Believe me, I understand, but at the same time we have just tonight a report of someone in LA, in Wisconsin, and the NY based VPN I used all with the same problem, not to mention that when I try to connect to Ireland I get the same thing: every hop is fine until an EA registered IP near the end. The geographic diversity (covering literally the furthest west, smack dab in the middle, and about the furthest east you can get) makes it more difficult for me to imagine the problem is some random node node somewhere - especially when the hop where the latency first spikes is - at least in my case - always registered to EA.

Edited by Skolops