idea: open world pvp bounty quest

Sangrar

This would reanimate the Ilum which is dead imho, or dead when im around, so...

The Bounty system in SWG wasn't exclusive to a single planet - your target could be anywhere. Terminals were of course in all Imperial cities.

The only thing that would kick start Ilum would be Wildstars Warplot idea, which is why Im there this weekend

Player Bounty Systems only work well in sandbox games. The Old Republic is not a sandbox game.

I may have misnamed the thread I might change the name later I just wanted something that sounded right, the idea is simply to kill x people in open world to provide a little more incentive, I am not suggesting a full on hunting system, mainly because I figure if the idea is simple and to the point it has a better chance of getting considered for implementation.

I may have misnamed the thread I might change the name later I just wanted something that sounded right, the idea is simply to kill x people in open world to provide a little more incentive, I am not suggesting a full on hunting system, mainly because I figure if the idea is simple and to the point it has a better chance of getting considered for implementation.

SWG also had an NPC you could track too - for those who didn't want to engage in PvP. So it can work for a Sandbox and themepark game. The method was the same as hunting another player, just the final combat would be an NPC

SWG also had an NPC you could track too - for those who didn't want to engage in PvP. So it can work for a Sandbox and themepark game. The method was the same as hunting another player, just the final combat would be an NPC

still though the point of this whole idea is to add incentive to encourage open world pvp a bit more, you know, open up a few more options

Edited by Sangrar

still though the point of this whole idea is to add incentive to encourage open world pvp a bit more, you know, open up a few more options

Warplots like in Wildstar but it's kinda too late now. Most of the pvp'ers have/are moving on

whats a warplot?

A Warplot is a HUGE piece of kit that players can customise then place in the middle of an open area and have a 40 v 40 man full on PvP fight. It also has rare resource areas for crafting and other things

is a full scale battle in one (remember its beta)

And

is the 'Dev Speak' on them,

It reminds me of SWG early days with HUGE PvP fights - before the days of these shame holes we call warzones/arenas etc

Edited by DarthMaulUK

do you know any specific ways that was exploited? like examples would help

Back in the day, PvP on Illum was about gaining Valor, and there was a daily and weekly (like in WZ's). The reason why Valor was important was to obtain the rank of Battlemaster, as you needed to be BM rank to wear the Battlemaster gear since it required Valor Level 50. Since a lot of players found grinding this meticulous, and wanted to get ahead wearing the best PvP gear, they resorted to

Essentially, Repubs and Imps would kill trade with each other in large groups to gain Valor rank, and it was easy, fast, and rewarded major valor. Once word spread how easily this was being done, it wasn't long before Ilum was scrapped, and PvP armor was only rewarded via PvP Comms from WZ's only. This is only a tiny fragment of how bad the PvP system was at launch and a few months after.

what is wrong with someone that they would go through large amounts of effort just to exploit something?

It just happens, people will do it for whatever reason, no rhyme or reason other than laziness. Anytime a system is introduced that players can go out into the wild and need to "farm" points for something, that requires other players to achieve, it will simply get exploited if there is no system check or environment that protects the gain. Even today, as we chat here on the forums, you have a handful of Guilds who are abusing Group Rankeds to gain ELO rating. In season 1, lots of people/guilds were doing this at off-times to gain a higher rating to obtain the Rancor mount. Some were quiet about it and successful, some got caught and their ranked reset (so I heard).

I'm not knocking you as an individual for wanting something like this, it has been requested by many players over thousands of threads to have some form of a player bounty system. I'd love to have one personally, but I fear any system that EA/BW puts in is simply going to get plundered because they typically don't put "stops" into the new content that prevents this type of action.

Edited by Pistols

@ pistols you didn't actually address the question in the second part of your reply. Some people will exploit it(according to your dogmatic dogmatism), we get it, but why does this mean we can't have it anyways? Edited by LeglessChair

@ pistols you didn't actually address the question in the second part of your reply. Some people will exploit it (according to your dogmatism), we get it, but why does this mean we can't have it anyways?

You're reading comprehension missed the reasoning why in my previous post, so I will keep it short just for you.

One of the main reasons Ilum was scrapped/removed was due to farming, and with that EA/BW is not going to implement any new system that will easily be exploited by those who choose to do so, due to the simple real fact that rewards offered in the realm of Open World Player vs. Player combat, simply cannot be policed. IMO, this is the "why" you're looking for.

It's not dogmatism, because it actually has happened in this game before (type of open world quests involving player vs. player), if you were here beforehand you would understand this as EA/BW does. The only way I see this coming to fruition is if they somehow find a way for this not to be "farmed", and perhaps there is, but I have never seen a system like this not easily exploited. By all means though, this is not a new idea to anyone who's been around TOR, and obviously it ranks pretty low on their "to do" list and I can see why.

/cheerio

Edited by Pistols

I'm not knocking you as an individual for wanting something like this, it has been requested by many players over thousands of threads to have some form of a player bounty system. I'd love to have one personally, but I fear any system that EA/BW puts in is simply going to get plundered because they typically don't put "stops" into the new content that prevents this type of action.

good god man they seriously did that!?

ok now I got to think of some way around that for my little idea to work, maybe have it so the quest will not progress while in ops groups? That with the buff that does not give credit towards the quest if either player killed or was killed by the other player, what else could be done?

and I am considering that swg type bounty thing too to add as an idea, but seperately, I don't know I just want something simple and probably easy to implement so that way the devs would consider implementing it.