A few questions regarding Ranked PvP for 2014.

Lovethebeard

Hello, BioWare. I'm writing this as I have a few concerns/questions about PvP in this game for 2014.

This first is ranked arenas; In my opinion, ranked is incredibly fun and it takes great co-ordination and skill to win a group/solo ranked game, but the problem is there is no incentive to do it. You earn rating for secret rewards (and epeen) that we, the player base have no idea what they are.

I'm sure if players new what kind of rewards at the end of each season were, they would flock to queue for ranked no problems. Now with season 1 coming to and end this year, we are expecting some pretty decent rewards for those that have devoted time and effort into getting high rating, I would hate for them to be disappointed with a title and some fireworks.

I ask if you would please let players know what they are working toward at the end of a season, as said above; people would flock to do ranked pvp with the idea of a sweet reward at the end.

The other issue id like to talk about is for those servers (eg. Jung Ma (RP-PvP) which have little to no ranked pops during peak hour. Do you have any future plans for cross server queues, even if it was just solo ranked? Unfortunately for me, just moving servers isn't a plausible answer. Jung Ma is my home and will be until a server merge or you shut the game down and i'm sure there are more people just like me.

Pretty please, BioWare. Even just acknowledge that you have taken these into account and I will be a happy camper.

Edited by Lovethebeard

Hey there!

I'm glad you brought this up! I can tell you that Season 1 will be ending with the release of Game Update 2.7. We are currently working on a blog for you all that will outline all the other information about the end of the season, including the rewards (and none of them are fireworks :tran_smile: ). Look for this to be up by the end of the month.

That's all I can share currently, but if I get anything else, I will make sure to post it for you.

-tw

Hey there!

I'm glad you brought this up! I can tell you that Season 1 will be ending with the release of Game Update 2.7. We are currently working on a blog for you all that will outline all the other information about the end of the season, including the rewards (and none of them are fireworks :tran_smile: ). Look for this to be up by the end of the month.

That's all I can share currently, but if I get anything else, I will make sure to post it for you.

-tw

Thanks for the response Tait.

I sure hope these rewards are amazingly unique and fun. I obviously won't be winning any but hopefully awesome rewards will increase the participation in Season 2.

Hey there!

-tw

tait said he reads the pvp section everyday. I think he has our back for the most part

Hey there!

-tw

You somehow restored my faith into a developer team (to be honest, it is really squishy faith - please don't break it).

Thank you for your feedback!

Hey there!

-tw

Not fireworks, but is there a ship skin? If so, I advise you reconsider before every mentioning it.

Hey there!

-tw

Cool.

I hope you guys release what the rewards will be at the beginning of Season 2, to try to entice people to play. Thus far there has only been this ambiguous thing to play for (if you dont like PvP for the sake of PvP), and I think its part of the reason why so few teams are active in Ranked.

It's crucial that participation alone will result in rewards or it will quicly die down again. On the other hand, with no win criteria they might end up in an AFK situation. It's a tricky balance.

Solution should be simple enough. Tiny rewards like titles for anyone who has a single ranked match, and bigger rewards the higher up you go, like speeders, cosmetic gear sets, etc.

tait said he reads the pvp section everyday.

I feel bad for him :rak_03:

On another note, not trying to pessimistic, but aside from match making system, which we know can't be done with the current populations on servers without cross server ques, there is not much that the devs team can say/provide that have value. I have little interest in "special" speeder or a piece of armor.

Edited by Ottoattack

Finally, a dev response on this! Thank you for acknowledging us arena players.

It's crucial that participation alone will result in rewards or it will quicly die down again. On the other hand, with no win criteria they might end up in an AFK situation. It's a tricky balance.

Have the good rewards be for both rating and number of wins. You can eventually get a decent number of wins just by participating even if you aren't especially skilled so it would be a matter of perseverance rather than ability and luck for that.

As for what the rewards should be?

I would say, an exclusive colour crystal.

Maybe one for the top 10% of players by rating and one for players with over 50 wins, lets say.

Titles - again, have a few different ones for rating (like, 1500, 2000, 2500) and for participation (10 wins, 100 wins, 250 wins).

Exclusive speeder - but make it actually cool, like a tank or hovercraft or one of those big boat like speeders that everyone finds so obnoxious when you park them at the PVP terminal. Yeah, I want one of those.

Maybe an exclusive dye that is bind on pickup - the colour of champions.

I know theres only so much they can give us... but they still can give us tangible in game rewards, for both success and participation in arenas.

Good to know changes are in store. However, some of those changes have to be making ranked worthwhile. That would include getting rid of the blasted arenas so many people absolutely hate. (I am one of those people.) I wouldn't do ranked if you were giving away real money simply because it's all arenas. Now, instead of learning from the mistake you added the same thing to GSF. Come on... Give us something worthwhile. Give us something worth the time to play. Give us a matchmaking system (ranked and regular) that actually works. (I won't get into the arena I got dropped in the other day where it was Rep on Rep, my team had a healer and 3 DPS and the other team had 3 healers and 1 DPS. I mean seriously, that's matchmaking?)

Hey there!

-tw

How about fixing PvP Bolster, you know, the skid mark that's been busted since inception?

Or, do we have to wait for a 500 word essay on what we know already?

Edited by Pistols