Why side with the Empire?

deyeti

This is just a general question for people out there, but what is it that draws people to playing an imperial? I'm not trying to be condescending or anything like that, but from a personal standpoint I prefer to be able to sympathize with the group I'm being a part of. They don't necessarily have to be victims or anything like that, but it seems that the Empire is being evil for evil's sake.

I know that there are bad people in the Republic, but I guess its more about the ideals of the Republic that sort of draws me to it. That feeling that even though there are those bad people there is still good and being able to be represented and maybe feel like your voice has a chance at being heard, even in a corrupt system like the Republic Senate, still it seems like its a matter of fighting for the philosophy.

For those that are playing on the Empire's side is is about just being able to be a bad ***? To try and live on the outside of the law? To be the next Darth Maul, Vader, Boba Fett? Or is there something about the ideals of the Empire that I haven't seen yet. Again this is just for curiosity's sake and I'm not saying that playing Empire for any of those reasons is a lesser reason to play a character, its all about fun in the game, just asking. Thanks!

edit: Just to add another question to this post. I'm curious as far as the story goes, especially companions, From the Republic side I guess I feel like most of the companions and such that I've dealt with thus far have had a more genuine feeling of camaraderie. I'm curious if on the Empire side if there is still like that? I played a little bit of IA during beta and it felt kind of like people were always looking out for themselves and you were always just kind of waiting for somebody to stab you in the back and you can't really trust anybody. Again this was limited experience. Thanks again!

another edit: Thanks so much for all the replies, I'm glad that this thread has sparked some discussion. I'm wondering if there is much in the Empire story about them being any kind of oppressed people that are finally standing up for themselves or anything. I've heard a couple of times from playing a little bit of the Empire that I have about "tradition" and "revenge against the republic" and I'm wondering, without too much spoiler, where a lot of this is coming from. Thanks again for all the amazing responses!

Edited by deyeti

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. darth maul wannabe

2. i enjoy making people pay for their actions

3. i played 2.5 yrs of SWG as a rebel

4. i played on the Horde side as a troll shaman and it was a funky time

5. being good in video games is boring (unless its single player and you can re-run the game, this one however has no end)

ill roll some classes on republic for the story lines though.

Guess, for me, it's mostly to play the "******" fantasy, yes you can be a dark republic player, but truly evil is on the empire side imo.

Then, there are plenty republics in RL, but no real Empires, so joining one is also kinda cool and I believe autocracy can work if the ruler is immortal. :cool:

(think Dune and LetoII)

and finally sith philosophy is simple and I really can relate to it - give in to desires, don't let anything stop you, the end justifies the means.

Because my guild chose Empire :D

Well, you the Empire isn't that Evil, look, the story of the Inquisitor is basically becoming a Sith Lord or dying, even if he is "good" he doesn't have other choice than being bad. I would even said that playing Empire but trying to be good is very interesting story wise.

This is just a general question for people out there, but what is it that draws people to playing an imperial? I'm not trying to be condescending or anything like that, but from a personal standpoint I prefer to be able to sympathize with the group I'm being a part of.

I sympathize with them just fine, I understand the motives: Gain power, dominate others.

As sad as it is to say in the real world, that's how people succeed in life. The richest, most powerful people in the world today got where they are by exploiting others. In a game, well you can do that without any conscience or morality to nag at you.

Edited by AeonWeapon

"For those that are playing on the Empire's side is is about just being able to be a bad ***?"

The empire strives towards anarchy through emotion and feelings.

It's not about just being a ****** (over here.) If you know what I mean - there's more into it, than being the baddest cat in the yard. The fastest reader in the class. The quickets bike in the race ETC!

For the record, I have one of each class so I'm playing both Republic and Empire. That said....

As was stated in KOTOR 2, the Republic is a weak, dying beast. The Mandalorian Wars were supposed to destroy the Republic, but Revan and some rogue Jedi interfered and drove the Mandalorians back. The war wasn't a Republic win, it was a Jedi win. This means that Republic that was weak and should have died has now remained around long enough to bleed to death. Alot has changed in 300 years, but it is still a lumbering beast. Mandalorians, Sith, the Empire, these are groups that have risen up to test their strength and won (well, each group has found loss in the past, but its a testament to their strength that they have returned).

Playing on the Empire side gives a wider sense of freedom for your actions. The idea that you have been weighed and NOT found wanting lets you take your rightful place in charge and most NPC's you meet recognize that. Fear and Intimidation show those you encounter that you're playing for keeps and that their life is merely a pawn on the board that can be shuffled off at the first moment that strikes you.

All that aside, the Empire itself isn't actually "Evil" per se, they're merely conquerers. The Republic are defenders. There can be Jedi with Dark Side leanings and Sith with Light Side leanings. So playing on the Empire side as a Sith Warrior or Bounty Hunter or what have you give you the opportunity to explore the presence of your faction as a strong contributor to the war machine. On the other hand, the Republic and its Jedi stand as the last bastions of hope for a people that have been ravaged and beaten over and over. So, sometimes you feel like being a jerk, and sometimes you don't.

Guess, for me, it's mostly to play the "******" fantasy, yes you can be a dark republic player, but truly evil is on the empire side imo.

Then, there are plenty republics in RL, but no real Empires, so joining one is also kinda cool and I believe autocracy can work if the ruler is immortal. :cool:

(think Dune and LetoII)

and finally sith philosophy is simple and I really can relate to it - give in to desires, don't let anything stop you, the end justifies the means.

I guess I can see where you are coming from, especially with that last part. Sort of a personal: if it feels good do it, but you have to be strong enough to stand up for it.

Its just the part where you always feel like the guy watching your back is just waiting to stab you there, like there's no genuine camaraderie from a story perspective. I've only played a little bit of the Empire and that was what I got out of it. Does that sort of thing come up at all?

Jedi Code is a lot of bullcrap.

That's all.

Pretty much this. The Jedi Code always sounds to me like they wanna take away my humanity by telling me to set aside my emotions. It has just always rubbed me the wrong way because I believe that emotion and passion are what drives Mankind to greatness.

For me the better player plays Empire.

After 7 years of alliance in WoW I was not going to make the same mistake again.

I am already seeing a large hike in average skill in pugs and getting your poo pushed in in PvP battlegrounds nine times out of ten was a killer, SO much more enjoyable to see tactics and players discussing what to do and how to do it in chat before the match starts.

The years of seeing kids in the chat channel whining and screaming for the alliance faction in wow ruined the experience, I have a friend that rolled Republic and he is telling me all the things I remember when playing alliance in WoW or the Guardians in Rift, this time I have made the right choice and thats to play with the adults. (on the whole of course there still are a few kids on the Empire side, just not in such large numbers.)

Edited by Scan

This is just a general question for people out there, but what is it that draws people to playing an imperial? I'm not trying to be condescending or anything like that, but from a personal standpoint I prefer to be able to sympathize with the group I'm being a part of. They don't necessarily have to be victims or anything like that, but it seems that the Empire is being evil for evil's sake.

I know that there are bad people in the Republic, but I guess its more about the ideals of the Republic that sort of draws me to it. That feeling that even though there are those bad people there is still good and being able to be represented and maybe feel like your voice has a chance at being heard, even in a corrupt system like the Republic Senate, still it seems like its a matter of fighting for the philosophy.

For those that are playing on the Empire's side is is about just being able to be a bad ***? To try and live on the outside of the law? To be the next Darth Maul, Vader, Boba Fett? Or is there something about the ideals of the Empire that I haven't seen yet. Again this is just for curiosity's sake and I'm not saying that playing Empire for any of those reasons is a lesser reason to play a character, its all about fun in the game, just asking. Thanks!

Although I'm playing Republic because that's where my friends are, I wanted to play Imperial (and actually have a small lvl alt there). Why ? Because as the story is laid out, if you want to be evil with the Republic, it's all out of place somehow. You are there so save some civilians because that's your whole purpose and you end killing them because what ?

Instead, with the Imps your orders would be something like "Go get X, and anyone else (civilians) is expendable. Leave no survivors if possible". So when you do it evily, it all fits. When you do a Light choice, it comes from the goodness of your hearts and everyone thanks you for it. Republic side, everyone expects you to the "appropriate" thing. Meh. Feels more natural on the Imperial side. Also love the fact that everyone respects you (as a Sith Warrior at least) because they know they are at your mercy...

And yes it's all about fun, nothing else. I'm very nice in the real life, never angry etc., so why can't I unleash my alter ego in a game ? :))

For me the better player plays Empire.

After 7 years of alliance in WoW I was not going to make the same mistake again.

I am already seeing a large hike in average skill in pugs and getting your poo pushed in in PvP battlegrounds nine times out of ten was a killer, SO much more enjoyable to see tactics and players discussing what to do and how to do it in chat before the match starts.

The years of seeing kids in the chat channel whining and screaming for the alliance faction in wow ruined the experience, I have a friend that rolled Republic and he is telling me all the things I remember when playing alliance in WoW or the Guardians in Rift, this time I have made the right choice and thats to play with the adults. (on the whole of course there still are a few kids on the Empire side, just not in such large numbers.)

I see where you are coming from with this. I felt the same way with WoW as far as feeling like the adults tended to play more Horde and younger kids tended towards Alliance. I personally felt the opposite towards the factions in that game than in this game. I always felt like the Horde was kind of a group of oppressed minorities that banded together to find their own way in the world. The Alliance always came across as racists and aristocrats who used their own people (ie Rebuilding of SW and the Defias Brotherhood story arc).

I'm not trying to turn this into a WoW thread, but I appreciate your reply and am learning a lot about people's motivations.

Although I'm playing Republic because that's where my friends are, I wanted to play Imperial (and actually have a small lvl alt there). Why ? Because as the story is laid out, if you want to be evil with the Republic, it's all out of place somehow. You are there so save some civilians because that's your whole purpose and you end killing them because what ?

Instead, with the Imps your orders would be something like "Go get X, and anyone else (civilians) is expendable. Leave no survivors if possible". So when you do it evily, it all fits. When you do a Light choice, it comes from the goodness of your hearts and everyone thanks you for it. Republic side, everyone expects you to the "appropriate" thing. Meh. Feels more natural on the Imperial side. Also love the fact that everyone respects you (as a Sith Warrior at least) because they know they are at your mercy...

And yes it's all about fun, nothing else. I'm very nice in the real life, never angry etc., so why can't I unleash my alter ego in a game ? :))

I don't find this to be exactly true. At least with the trooper story line so far I've encountered many situations where my orders were definitely leaning toward the dark side, and in fact following my orders to the letter would have earned me dark side points. The Republic has its fair share of ruthless individuals, it's not all knights in shining armor.

I see where you are coming from with this. I felt the same way with WoW as far as feeling like the adults tended to play more Horde and younger kids tended towards Alliance. I personally felt the opposite towards the factions in that game than in this game. I always felt like the Horde was kind of a group of oppressed minorities that banded together to find their own way in the world. The Alliance always came across as racists and aristocrats who used their own people (ie Rebuilding of SW and the Defias Brotherhood story arc).

I'm not trying to turn this into a WoW thread, but I appreciate your reply and am learning a lot about people's motivations.

Trying to figure out what server you guys played on. I've been on about 3 or 4 and I feel the exact opposite. Same for this game, Empire PuGs in warzones are a complete joke. Gald we decided to roll Republic.

I don't find this to be exactly true. At least with the trooper story line so far I've encountered many situations where my orders were definitely leaning toward the dark side, and in fact following my orders to the letter would have earned me dark side points. The Republic has its fair share of ruthless individuals, it's not all knights in shining armor.

Yeah, my two highest level characters so far have been a level 20 Scoundrel (beta) and a level 20 Commando and both of them I felt were a lot more neutral to dark side leaning, or at least could be very easily if they followed what was expected of them.