New to level 70 - Question about Command Crates

RDeanOU

I played from pre-launch into SoR, but quit playing before KOTFE and KOTET came out. I’ve recently returned and just hit 70 on a character (I’ve been messing around with alts and class stories).

Being new to command crates, I’m curious about something. Is there any reason to not simply open every command crate I get instantly? The interface for opening them seems a little odd and is making me wonder if I’m supposed to save them to open multiple crates at once or something.

Thanks in advance and any tips that would be relevant to someone new to this feature would be appreciated.

Edited by RDeanOU

A couple of points that may be helpful. Any gear with stats will disassemble into UC's that can be used to purchase higher tier gear from the vendors on fleet, check the forums for complete details. Other items like the gear and weapon shells, reputation boosts, pets, patterns, and jawa junk will disassemble into CXP points if you decide you do not want to claim them. Claim any items you want to keep, like companion gifts and jawa junk if you need/want them. The CXP boost items stack in the viewer interface but not in your inventory. I usually keep two in my inventory and let the rest stack in the viewer interface, these do not give any CXP points if you disassemble them.

Open them instantly. The other day I was playing a new gunslinger and I waited until I filled my inventory with command crates before I opened any.

So many crates, it took so long to open them all, lol. NEVER AGAIN

This was Tier 1 too, so I was just going to disassemble everything. I was also leveling up as I was opening them and made new crates lol.

Edited by kirorx

You get light side or darkside tokens for the lightside and darkside vendors depending on which faction is winning when you open them. So if that means anything to you, you might wait to open them. Otherwise, wait everyone else said.

I usually open mine after a round of turn-ins is done (a daily area, or an FP). It makes no difference either way. As to the contents, you get

-Command Tokens- legacy wide commendation-style currency. Cap is 3000. Claim them all, unless you're at cap in which case it won't let you. Tokens are good for buying starter set-bonus gear (230s) if you don't want to wait for RNG.

-One peice of Stat gear- either green (useless), blue (decent), purple (set bonus), or gold (the primo stuff). Take it if you need it, melt it to Unasssembled Components if you don't.

-One shell: Random orange gear for cosmetics. Melt if you don't like. It's BoE so you can also sell if you want.

-One companion gift: use or melt as needed

-Random filler: jawa junk, mats, standalone mods, rep items, mounts, pets, boosts etc. Use/melt as needed.

Pro-tip: if you're going to claim or melt stacks of stuff, select something else to go with it, even if it's a different stack. Otherwise you have to select how many of the stack you wish to affect. Save yourself a prompt.

Edited by CrutchCricket

-One peice of Stat gear- either green (useless), blue (decent), purple (set bonus), or gold (the primo stuff). Take it if you need it, melt it to Unasssembled Components if you don't.

Remember that at Tier 4, blue stat gear (blue mod-objects, orange shell) also has the set bonus, and at Tier 1 there is no gold/yellow gear.

May I, a fellow returnee, borrow the thread instead of littering the forums with a new one?

Has gearing, since CXP invention, become less alt-friendly? Back in the day getting more or less max gear for alts was a breeze - which led to me rather having a selection of mains rather than a main and several alts.

Is it better these days to focus solely on one character, or is all this nonsense legacy-wide and it doesn't matter?

Can these "crates" be sent to alts/are they Bind to Account?

Thank you.

May I, a fellow returnee, borrow the thread instead of littering the forums with a new one?

Has gearing, since CXP invention, become less alt-friendly? Back in the day getting more or less max gear for alts was a breeze - which led to me rather having a selection of mains rather than a main and several alts.

Is it better these days to focus solely on one character, or is all this nonsense legacy-wide and it doesn't matter?

Can these "crates" be sent to alts/are they Bind to Account?

Thank you.

Crates are BoP, stuff in them is BoP (except for shells, mats, gifts, mounts etc). Command tokens and Unassembled Components are Legacy. Command tokens can be used to buy starter 230 set bonus, as I mentioned, so that's alt-friendly at least.

For alts you can rip mods and put them in legacy shells (note, the set bonus will glitch in appearance when transferring but will still apply and a logoff and on again will have it display properly). Pretty much has to be for mirror classes though. Set bonuses do NOT transfer across even ACs (ie a Sentinel piece is useless on a Guardian).

UCs are used to buy/upgrade gold level gear which is BiS for its tier. You either use UCs to buy unassembled pieces to trade for gear (like OPs gear used to be) or you use a previous gold +UCs to get the next level. The costs per part is pretty high and the tokens are bound all the way so that's kind of annoying. I'm also not sure if ripped gold mods can still be traded up.

Edited by CrutchCricket

Thank you!

And as for strategy: It seems then it is most prudent to focus on one character - is this a correct assessment?

If you're just starting out, maybe? The other thing to consider is the legacy perk to boost Command XP. It requires one character at 300, and getting more base classes to 300 improves it by 25% each time up to 100% (mirrors don't stack, so you need one agent or smuggler, one knight or warrior, one inquisitor or consular and one trooper or BH to get it to full). Also more command tokens drop at higher tiers, meaning eventually when you hit cap, you can start getting alts in 230s.

I have my op at 300 in 242s, my knight just got to 300 in some 242s/240s, the rest of my mains have now been decked in 230s, except for my smuggler who benefited more from my op's spares/handmedowns. Also, I wouldn't bother actually grinding this out until the next 2CXP hits. That's the rate it should be, as it is, it's too slow. Just relax and play normally until then.

Edited by CrutchCricket

Thank you!

And as for strategy: It seems then it is most prudent to focus on one character - is this a correct assessment?

If all you're doing is trying to grind the CXP to 300, it's not really that important. When I'm grinding a character to 300, I tend to do the daily areas, FP weekly missions and Op of the day (if I can) on that character.

Once you reach 300 and have a good base set of gear, be sure to save your CXP packs (the green blue and purple CXP tokens) - they're Legacy bound...send them to alts of yours who are still grinding up to 300.

And NEVER DO ANYTHING that awards CXP, without using a CXP boost. It's like doing it twice by using the boost.

If you focus on doing things that award CXP, the grind isn't really that hard.

UCs are used to buy/upgrade gold level gear which is BiS for its tier. You either use UCs to buy unassembled pieces to trade for gear (like OPs gear used to be) or you use a previous gold +UCs to get the next level. The costs per part is pretty high and the tokens are bound all the way so that's kind of annoying. I'm also not sure if ripped gold mods can still be traded up.

Trading up using UCs is based on the shell. If you rip the mods, don't throw away the shell if you want to be able to trade up, since the next tier requires the current tier's shell. The ripped mods count for nothing, but of course if you, say get three T2 chest pieces for Commando, and trade two of the mod-sets to other characters by legacy gear, then you are left with one stocked shell and two empty shells, and can trade all three up to T3 chests, and then use legacy gear to distribute two sets to those other characters.

So keep the shells. do whatever suits you with the mods, but keep the shells. Drop them in your character's cargo hold, since the trade-up will pull them from there. (You don't have to retrieve them to your inventory before trading, although the UCs do have to be in inventory.)