Server Transfers, 10 Months Later....

Icebergy

I think one of the main problems is that thousands if not hundred of thousands of players will transfer their characters once this service is up. To transfer all of that could very well cause a collision bringing all servers down and corrupting the transfer process which will damage their character. I think that may be something they are trying to avoid. Merging is one thing bbecause they can bring servers down to do it. Perhaps if we could put a request in and just wait fore them to transfer it may work but it will be a long wait if your not one of the few to request yours first.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think one of the main problems is that thousands if not hundred of thousands of players will transfer their characters once this service is up. To transfer all of that could very well cause a collision bringing all servers down and corrupting the transfer process which will damage their character. I think that may be something they are trying to avoid. Merging is one thing bbecause they can bring servers down to do it. Perhaps if we could put a request in and just wait fore them to transfer it may work but it will be a long wait if your not one of the few to request yours first.

Well that explains everything.

Except when they did the initial voluntary transfers (prior to the big server mergers), they had very few problems and it literally took about 2 minutes. Granted, they may not have had quite the same numbers, and it was to set destinations, but it is certainly doable.

I don't think anyone is expecting them to transfer everyone at the same time. Even a wait of a day or two would be fine with me, provided my character is properly transferred.

Except when they did the initial voluntary transfers (prior to the big server mergers), they had very few problems and it literally took about 2 minutes. Granted, they may not have had quite the same numbers, and it was to set destinations, but it is certainly doable.

I don't think anyone is expecting them to transfer everyone at the same time. Even a wait of a day or two would be fine with me, provided my character is properly transferred.

Exactly. We know they can do it and we know it works well. WHAT IS THEIR EXCUSE NOW?!?

I would be willing to let my character I want transferred sit in a queue for up to two weeks if it meant they released the system. Hes just gathering dust on that other server anyways.

To be fair, they send like 100 e-mails about server transfers (back when they did them and they were free). If you neglected to check your e-mail, that is your own problem.

Those were not transfers those were forced mergers...and they created many of the problems which voluntary transfers to a server of choice instead of one dest. server with no choice would now solve... also they did two separate batches of them.

If you neglected to know wth you were talking about, that is your own problem :rak_04:

Edited by LrdRahvin

To be fair, they send like 100 e-mails about server transfers (back when they did them and they were free). If you neglected to check your e-mail, that is your own problem.

/facepalm...You really should refrain from acting so superior when you don't even know whats going on.

the testing we done for the PTS with that transfer tool had it's issues they fixed most but the Cargo bay bug still was on the pts till the day it closed.

If that is the hold up, they need to tell us that. How many months ago was that? It should be fixed by now or they should at least have an idea of how long till it will be fixed.

If this is the issue, then they could easily solve it by putting in a queue. I would gladly spend up to two weeks in a queue rather than wait several more months for them to release this...I mean its not like I am playing the character I want transferred anyways since hes still on the wrong server.

If this is the issue, then they could easily solve it by putting in a queue. I would gladly spend up to two weeks in a queue rather than wait several more months for them to release this...I mean its not like I am playing the character I want transferred anyways since hes still on the wrong server.

Seriously? Three posts in a row? We get it. You're mad that you haven't gotten something you want yet.

Unfortunately for you, they don't have to tell you a thing. This isn't affecting every one of their players, and it isn't a game-breaking bug. They're working on it. Limited dev team can only do so much.

The game had major financial problems. They now have a tiny team because of it. Said tiny team is now split into groups that work on things -- like EVERY software dev company. They'll finish it when they finish it. They haven't replied because, most likely, there isn't anything else to say. It's still being worked on.

I'd agree with manual transfers, so long as they charge you $200 AND make you wait 2 weeks. Why? Because clearly you don't understand much if you think it's some quick thing they can do. Manual transfers take forever, can break JUST as easily as automated, and take up valuable resources (aka, a dev person on each transfer).

Patience is a virtue. WoW didn't have Server Transfers for two years. The sole fact that they're trying to get them out this summer is a good thing, IMO. They made a mistake, and didn't think they'd need it in place. Considering all of the other shortcomings -- it WASN'T that they didn't realize it would be good to have. It wasn't given a priority, and for good reason.

NO amount of complaining in these forums is going to speed up the release. All it does is create arguments, or threads of people continuously bashing BW over things they know nothing about.

Seriously? Three posts in a row? We get it. You're mad that you haven't gotten something you want yet.

Unfortunately for you, they don't have to tell you a thing. This isn't affecting every one of their players, and it isn't a game-breaking bug. They're working on it. Limited dev team can only do so much.

The game had major financial problems. They now have a tiny team because of it. Said tiny team is now split into groups that work on things -- like EVERY software dev company. They'll finish it when they finish it. They haven't replied because, most likely, there isn't anything else to say. It's still being worked on.

I'd agree with manual transfers, so long as they charge you $200 AND make you wait 2 weeks. Why? Because clearly you don't understand much if you think it's some quick thing they can do. Manual transfers take forever, can break JUST as easily as automated, and take up valuable resources (aka, a dev person on each transfer).

Patience is a virtue. WoW didn't have Server Transfers for two years. The sole fact that they're trying to get them out this summer is a good thing, IMO. They made a mistake, and didn't think they'd need it in place. Considering all of the other shortcomings -- it WASN'T that they didn't realize it would be good to have. It wasn't given a priority, and for good reason.

NO amount of complaining in these forums is going to speed up the release. All it does is create arguments, or threads of people continuously bashing BW over things they know nothing about.

I am just responding to people who are posting in the thread to keep the conversation going and hoping that Bioware actually sees it, I don't know why that makes you so angry.

Thanks for the free bump.

I am just responding to people who are posting in the thread to keep the conversation going and hoping that Bioware actually sees it, I don't know why that makes you so angry.

Thanks for the free bump.

You're continually bumping an old topic to get yourself attention. That's why. Sorry that logic fails you so easily :-D

Enjoy this free bump too! Maybe, more people will come in and yell about how unfair life is because a video game didn't give them something! Then, BW can have a reason to delete this thread completely.

You're continually bumping an old topic to get yourself attention. That's why. Sorry that logic fails you so easily :-D

Enjoy this free bump too! Maybe, more people will come in and yell about how unfair life is because a video game didn't give them something! Then, BW can have a reason to delete this thread completely.

How can they delete threads they don't read?

Edited by Graydon

I am not sure what this post has to do with anything.

The fact that I am bumping an "old topic" makes you angry is logic that fails me? OK...

How about folks come in and yell about apologists and white knights attacking every post where perfectly legitimate concerns and issues are raised just because it doesn't jibe with their opinions/worldview?

Would you prefer that? I assure you it can be arranged ;)

:rak_03:

Edited by LrdRahvin

I would not mind as well and would gladly pay for it. Right now I started a new char on the server I want to be on while going back to the other one just to keep my toon upgraded with gear. It is a pain that I might loose my legacy.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I'm probably going to give up the game before they get these implemented. Just really tired of waiting. Server transfers paid service/name change, etc has been a much more requested feature of the game than anything they've touted as these fantastic new features!

I just wish they'd either implement it or say. " Shut UP!!!! we are not doing that, quit crying, deal with it or leave"