Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Change in alacrity.

Bawsko
02.21.2013 , 01:41 PM | #1
The way healing is designed right now, we are at the mercy of critical strikes. There are times that it can crit when you don't need it to, and get nothing but over-healing, and then there are times that you could be relying on overall crit bonuses to push your target's health up, but get a bad string.

The change to alacrity allows a much steadier game play style for all healers. Overall power and heals per second are expected to go up even if you don't change your current build. I think that alacrity might become such an important stat to healers in general that we might start stacking Power + Alac enhancements.

So long crit! You will not be missed!

CaptainApop
02.21.2013 , 02:36 PM | #2
Crit was never in competition for itemization with alacrity. This will change nothing about how much crit you have.
"I bind kolto probes to Q, partially for the convenience but mostly for the irony"

Subterfuge legacy - Tomb of Freedon Nadd

RuQu
02.21.2013 , 04:57 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by CaptainApop View Post
Crit was never in competition for itemization with alacrity. This will change nothing about how much crit you have.
Unless they change the itemization model to allow more mixing of stats.

As it is, Alacrity is in competition with Surge, and Surge has a steep DR penalty above 300 rating. What this really does is make Alacrity non-problematic.

With this change, cooldowns notwithstanding, your rotation will remain constant, only sped up with Alacrity. As it is now, increased Alacrity means more casts of free abilities (ie Diagnostic Scan or Hammer Shot), but not more casts of the real heals you want.

What it won't do, is actually increase the power of your healing. So your HPS will increase, but the balance of that HPS increase vs the HPS increase from other stats will need to be explored. On the plus side, we can now safely say "take as much Alacrity as you need to feel comfortable your heals will land in time. It won't hurt you." We couldn't say that before.
Brushing off the dust on my Assault Cannon. Time to get back in the fight.

CaptainApop
02.21.2013 , 05:26 PM | #4
and thank god for that, no stat should have to be as dubiously useful as pre-2.0 alacrity.
"I bind kolto probes to Q, partially for the convenience but mostly for the irony"

Subterfuge legacy - Tomb of Freedon Nadd

periphelion
02.21.2013 , 06:40 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by RuQu View Post
Unless they change the itemization model to allow more mixing of stats.

As it is, Alacrity is in competition with Surge, and Surge has a steep DR penalty above 300 rating. What this really does is make Alacrity non-problematic.

With this change, cooldowns notwithstanding, your rotation will remain constant, only sped up with Alacrity. As it is now, increased Alacrity means more casts of free abilities (ie Diagnostic Scan or Hammer Shot), but not more casts of the real heals you want.

What it won't do, is actually increase the power of your healing. So your HPS will increase, but the balance of that HPS increase vs the HPS increase from other stats will need to be explored. On the plus side, we can now safely say "take as much Alacrity as you need to feel comfortable your heals will land in time. It won't hurt you." We couldn't say that before.
I suspect that the relationship of alacrity to rotations will be a little more complex than that. From what I can tell, alacrity increases energy generation proportionally - ie, a 10% alacrity increases your sustained healing throughput by exactly that much (using the rather safe assumption that your output is resource-limited), whereas, the impact on cast times (and hence burst healing), is affected inversely, so a 11.11% increase. This discrepancy will be more obvious with higher amounts of alacrity. So the short answer is that alacrity will increase both your sustained healing and burst healing, but by differing amounts, and you would still need to adjust your rotations accordingly, since the energy regen doesn't *quite* cover your cast time increase.

Situations get a little more complicated when you consider cooldowns, both in terms of heals and for classes that rely on active skills to recover resources (healing trance -enhanced noble sacrifices will still return the same amount of force over time (limited by healing trance cooldown), as well as jedi knights which use specific skills to build focus if you look beyond healing). These classes will benefit much less in terms of sustained, resource-bound output from alacrity and will need to adjust their rotations more.

RuQu
02.21.2013 , 07:02 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by periphelion View Post
I suspect that the relationship of alacrity to rotations will be a little more complex than that. From what I can tell, alacrity increases energy generation proportionally - ie, a 10% alacrity increases your sustained healing throughput by exactly that much (using the rather safe assumption that your output is resource-limited), whereas, the impact on cast times (and hence burst healing), is affected inversely, so a 11.11% increase. This discrepancy will be more obvious with higher amounts of alacrity. So the short answer is that alacrity will increase both your sustained healing and burst healing, but by differing amounts, and you would still need to adjust your rotations accordingly, since the energy regen doesn't *quite* cover your cast time increase.

Situations get a little more complicated when you consider cooldowns, both in terms of heals and for classes that rely on active skills to recover resources (healing trance -enhanced noble sacrifices will still return the same amount of force over time (limited by healing trance cooldown), as well as jedi knights which use specific skills to build focus if you look beyond healing). These classes will benefit much less in terms of sustained, resource-bound output from alacrity and will need to adjust their rotations more.
Certainly, especially with their tendency to put cooldowns on most abilities (see the Kolto Pack change). For Commandos, the only heals without cooldowns are Medical Probe and Hammer Shot. So while Alacrity will definitely be beneficial now, it will not be a simple % increase in HPS as it does nothing for the cooldowns which are already a limiter on rotations.

Likewise with pretty much every class and role.

I'm actually working on making a new simulator to try and see how it views things in a more dynamic way than just discussion can handle.

Do we have solid info on exactly how Alacrity is increasing regen?

periphelion
02.21.2013 , 07:49 PM | #7
So far on my commando, it is a flat out increase that is equal to the amount alacrity decrease cast times - at level 55 with both first responder (+3%) and weapon calibrations (+2%) and 216 alacrity rating (+3.03%), I have an energy regen bonus of 8.03% (from 5.0 to 5.4). The character sheet breaks down the calculation for you and is quite explicit and unambiguous. Currently, the mouse over tool-tip over your ammo bar is bugged and does not reflect the alacrity effect on regen rates.

A rather far-fetched prediction I have is that the change in alacrity will benefit sawbones healers most of all, since their heals are the most unstructured and independent of cooldowns. Commando healing is heavily tied to the cooldown on advanced medical probe and bacta infusion, and sages have healing trance and rejuvenation. Sawbones seem the most poised to efficiently convert the additional energy regen to HPS. Also, sawbones have the highest healing crit multiplier bonus (+30%), which means that their break even point for surge is probably lower (an additional point in surge results in a lower proportional healing increase). They will be able to get away with stacking alacrity more.

RuQu
02.21.2013 , 09:03 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by periphelion View Post
So far on my commando, it is a flat out increase that is equal to the amount alacrity decrease cast times - at level 55 with both first responder (+3%) and weapon calibrations (+2%) and 216 alacrity rating (+3.03%), I have an energy regen bonus of 8.03% (from 5.0 to 5.4). The character sheet breaks down the calculation for you and is quite explicit and unambiguous. Currently, the mouse over tool-tip over your ammo bar is bugged and does not reflect the alacrity effect on regen rates.

A rather far-fetched prediction I have is that the change in alacrity will benefit sawbones healers most of all, since their heals are the most unstructured and independent of cooldowns. Commando healing is heavily tied to the cooldown on advanced medical probe and bacta infusion, and sages have healing trance and rejuvenation. Sawbones seem the most poised to efficiently convert the additional energy regen to HPS. Also, sawbones have the highest healing crit multiplier bonus (+30%), which means that their break even point for surge is probably lower (an additional point in surge results in a lower proportional healing increase). They will be able to get away with stacking alacrity more.
Your prediction seems very reasonable, on grounds of cooldown restrictions alone. They also already relied heavily on instant cast abilities with no cooldown, which never before benefited from alacrity and now do.

If we take your 8% alacrity bonus:

MP goes from 2s to 1.84s.
HS goes from 1.5s to 1.38s
MP/HS/HS now takes 4.6s instead of 5s
Using the current regen zones, at 8+ we would earn 0.6 Ammo per second. In 5s, this is 3 Ammo: a neutral rotation.
With an 8% bonus we would now earn 0.648 Ammo per second. In 4.6s, this is 2.981 Ammo, not quite neutral.

Or, you know, as you said before a 10% increase in regen is not equal to an 11% faster cast rate.