Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The death of the casual crafter

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
The death of the casual crafter

Cats-Eye
12.15.2019 , 07:05 AM | #1
TL;DR: I really don't like the 6.0 crew skill changes

<Rant Mode>
The one thing that I really wonder about on the crew skill changes in Onslaught is: Who at Bioware thought that this would be fun?
You know. As in this is a game and I play to have some fun. Before anyone accuses me that I just want things to be easy, I am a WOW veteran and have played for years in a raiding guild. So I know what it takes to keep your gear up to date and that it always includes a certai amount of grinding. I've stopped this and became a casual player because the time drain became too much, and I more and more considered keeping up to be a chore instead of being fun, as it was in the beginning.
I lso accept that with my style of play I cannot get the best gear. Fair enough. But the crafting so far was a nice complement. Up until now you could get decent enough stuff from crafting as soon as you hit the appropriate level. So when I started crafting Onslaught stuff, I was quite surprised. Greens? Slicing compenents for basically everything? And tons of them, too. Ah well, I thought, crafted along and when I hit 75, i proudly put onthat new gear. Only having the first loot drop actually be of highler level than my new shiny crafted gear.
***?
It was the first time I actually looked into the changes to crew skills in onslaught, and the realization was truly disappointing. Bioware had turned crew skills into a grindfest of korean proportions. (Just for reference: korean > epic)
I also saw the anoouncement that there would be changes in 6.02, so I waited patiently. The changes make things a bit better in the same way that a cat 4 hurricane is better to have than a cat 5 one. It is still a grindfest or ... well, you know.
I'm not certain who is actually going to craft the high level gear. One thing is certain: for a casual gamer that is completely unattainable. Especially since you simply cannot level up your crafting recipes fast enough to keep pace with your loot drops. For me this is not only not fun, it feels like a punishment, and an especially hard one.
Can someone enlighten me what Bioware actually wanted to achieve with this? i've seen a few hints toward the broken economy, but if that is the case, the guys need theirr heads examined.
</Rant Mode>
"Tengoku de omachishi te imasu."
Mariko "Spirit" Tanaka

steveerkcanjerk
12.17.2019 , 04:15 PM | #2
You are not alone in this feeling. Even as a hardcore player, who climbs ranked, does nim raids, and warzones/ master modes everyday this system is extremely brutal and unrewarding. I have gotten my augment crafting up to the purple BIS and now my armorings as well. There is no reason for people to buy items from us when its faster to run hammer station and get drop after drop after drop of gear with armorings etc. As crafters we are back at square one making augments and stims. The other stuff is just fluff dressed up like a nice update but in reality reals its ugly head. But the crafting just like back at launch will not be able to keep up with the rest of the game, this dev team needs to hire someone who has experience building good crafting systems before. It is clear the person in charge of it does not understand the game at all, just like their pvp team feels like it never actually plays the game they are making updates for. But I do have some suggestions.

1. Make the mat count for embers and solid resource matrix start at gold quality armoring of 306 and purple augments.
2. Make all augments a 20% re chance to learn a schem. Some of them are 10% for example alacrity on armormech.
3. Allow armormech and synthweavers to both build dps and tank armorings. It is really annoying that my bounty hunter as to learn synthweaving to make versatile armorings.
4. Allow us to use a certain material to craft the specific amp we want on the armoring we craft and make it a guarantee for its tier. This would be huge for crafters, allowing themselves and players willing to purchase armorings the ability to skip rng process. This would give crafters alot of purpose and people would actually look for it especially those down on their luck.

I doubt any of this would ever happen. They will just make up some update, by saying we looked at some secret metrics that they don't share. And ignore all the pts feedback, ignore the various forum and reddit posts, not play their game, and then come out with the audacity to say that is what we asked for. Typical bioware.
the mandalorians will rise again, we will unite and make the galaxy bow.
choggun mandalorian sniper
dreadshots mandalorian mercanary

AlrikFassbauer
12.24.2019 , 04:33 AM | #3
When I looked at the requirements, I had my own "a-ha" moment.

If this system has become this brutal, then it must mean that some crafters have become too strong. Or, in other words, the "brutality" of this new system is meant as a fence to keep too strong crafters down.
Complex minds
Cope with
Complex problems.

DeannaVoyager
12.30.2019 , 06:09 AM | #4
They are only keeping the casual crafters down though. The strong ones are just getting stronger, as casual crafters don't have enough mats/patience/luck to get the BiS schematics.

I was lucky to get some new augment schematics early, but I also want to play the game and not sit at GTN trying to sell them, when the whales are undercutting you with 1 credit x 20 listings the moment you log out to another toon. The GTN is basically controlled by a handful of crafters who are there just to take over the market, so there's not much point crafting anything anymore, even if you're lucky enough to get the schematics.

I've geared my 2 main toons with new shiny augments, those I use for Dxun HM. The rest of my toons can go with the old 228 augments, because old ops are level synced now, and I wouldn't benefit from the better ones anyway. If I need something, I'll just buy from GTN, even if I have to scroll a a few pages and pay a bit more to find a crafter who's been undercut by those whales.
My referral link, if anyone wants: http://www.swtor.com/r/mknnK6

Batwer
12.30.2019 , 02:46 PM | #5
Before 6.0 I liked craftingg. Now it's just annoying.

1. It's too expensive.
2. The new augment schematics have an extremely low chance. (Has anyone ever the yellow Biochem Medpacs seen plans? I haven't even seen a medpac like this. Not even in GTN )
3. People present their things at such a low price that it's not worth putting something in there yourself. In the beginning there were only a few. Now there are almost 10 pages per char. It would be good if BW stipulates a fixed amount that cannot be undercut.

In the meantime, I only craft for myself and only sell the mats. Thank for nothing BW.
You! Yes, exactly you! Click me:
http://www.swtor.com/r/zwyYS6

Void_Singer
12.31.2019 , 06:20 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Batwer View Post
[...](Has anyone ever the yellow Biochem Medpacs seen plans? I haven't even seen a medpac like this. Not even in GTN )[...]:
Advanced Kyrprax Medpac MK-2
5x Legendary Ember
5x Artifact Curious Cell Graft
10x Artifact Intravenous Injector
10x Prototype Intravenous Injector
10x Premium Intravenous Injector

I lucked into that schematic early, and it's ridiculously cheap compared to most things (considering it cost no Solid Resource Matrices)... they sell for under 5mil on Star Forge
If it moves, shoot it.
if it stops moving... shoot it again.
- Anonymous Mercenary

This is My Referral Link. There are many like it but this one is mine.

DawnAskham
12.31.2019 , 06:42 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Void_Singer View Post
Advanced Kyrprax Medpac MK-2
5x Legendary Ember
5x Artifact Curious Cell Graft
10x Artifact Intravenous Injector
10x Prototype Intravenous Injector
10x Premium Intravenous Injector

I lucked into that schematic early, and it's ridiculously cheap compared to most things (considering it cost no Solid Resource Matrices)... they sell for under 5mil on Star Forge
Yes it's ridiculously cheap - which is absurd given it is already absurd that they brought back reusable in the first place, once again making Biochem the only crew skill with an actual benefit just for having it on a character.

IMO reusable items should not even exist, at best Biochem should be able to craft something (or have a static effect) with more charges or a longer duration.

Void_Singer
12.31.2019 , 07:41 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by DawnAskham View Post
Yes it's ridiculously cheap - which is absurd given it is already absurd that they brought back reusable in the first place, once again making Biochem the only crew skill with an actual benefit just for having it on a character.

IMO reusable items should not even exist, at best Biochem should be able to craft something (or have a static effect) with more charges or a longer duration.
You won't hear me arguing.... Some Dev at BW apparently has wood for Biochem.... and it's idiotic
If it moves, shoot it.
if it stops moving... shoot it again.
- Anonymous Mercenary

This is My Referral Link. There are many like it but this one is mine.

HighInquisitor
01.04.2020 , 02:32 PM | #9
Crafting was the main thing I enjoyed about this game as a casual player. But now there is no point in crafting as a casual. To get the minimum of 270 gear needed to do the occasional MM FP requires mats you can only get from doing FPs!

Previous xpacs I could craft and re basic sets of purple gear to gear up my alts to allow them entry to the occasional MM FPs or just run heroics or other content solo and be fine. Plus I could sell this basic sets of purple armorings, mods and enhancements and pull in 3-5 mil per week.

Now there is literally no point to craft any gear (other than augs/stims/medpacs) because you get better gear from running those FPs.

I only have 1-2 hours a week, tops, to play this game and now I have to do it running ****** PUGs to get basic gear instead of crafting it myself...

I'm a founder, and this will be the first time I unsub until this gets "fixed". Sucks.
I'm afraid it is you who are mistaken. About a great, many things.

Do the thing. (refer a friend)

RodneyMcNeely
01.11.2020 , 01:12 AM | #10
BW needs to seriously tweak the crafting system.

I think Elder Scrolls Online has the right idea. Their crafting system allows for the making of end-game gear. Depending on your build, you might want dropped sets for your BiS options, or you might want crafted sets. Each type has its place, but this little detail makes crafting at end-game SUPER relevant.

I don't think a complete overhaul is warranted here. I rather LIKE the layout and how everything works. It's just that a few random things shouldn't be the only BiS endgame items you can craft. Stims, adrenals, armorings, mods, hilts, barrels, enhancements, relics, earpieces, implants - ALL of it should have a place in a finalized endgame build.

Sure, keep set bonus armor shells from PvP, flashpoints, operations, etc. as the best you can get. But the stuff you put INTO them (as well as all of the other accessories you need) should be doable with crafting.

ESPECIALLY if you're going to maintain the same out of control material requirements we're seeing in game right now.