Sniper Class Rep Initiative: If you play a Sniper/Gunslinger in end-game content.

Tell us what you think.

We asked BioWare a question and they answered by asking us another question. What should our answer be? We can change a 2-year old, and BioWare said so themselves, boring ability Laze Target / Smuggler's Luck to be more useful not just for MM/SS but the other specializations as well. Thread can be found here in the Sniper forums.

Edited by paowee

Is there a point in asking BW any of these questions? from their responses to sorcs and vgs yesterday its apparent that they have nothing but disdain for the community and they are going to just keep doing their thing and ignoring us

Is there a point in asking BW any of these questions? from their responses to sorcs and vgs yesterday its apparent that they have nothing but disdain for the community and they are going to just keep doing their thing and ignoring us

Is there a point?

I don't think you read over the entire post.

If you did you would know the [jumpto=5]context[/jumpto] that sparked this forum initiative.

Also you would know that BW answered our question buy asking us another question. We are now replying to it.

Offtopic:I feel sorry for the quality of answers Sorcs and Vanguard got but the quality of questions they gave weren't that great either. G.I.G.O. Too perceptive, filled with paragraphs and narrative-like that homes into one topic that pidgeon holes the dev's potential answer; almost like a yes or no question thats going to get a yes or no answer. Check out the Marauder forums right now and look for KBN and my comments on their sample questions.

The Sniper forums realized the potential of asking a limiting and bad question and have had a [jumpto=5]thread[/jumpto] that discuess how to make the best question possible out of a sample of questions. Even had a literary expert PM me and we have been revising the questions as the days passed up until the final day of submission. I guess the sniper forums is just lucky to have a lot of helpful and immersed posters (as a result we also have 0% trolls over there) :)

Edited by paowee

Is there a point?

I don't think you read over the entire post.

If you did you would know the [jumpto=5]context[/jumpto] that sparked this forum initiative.

Also you would know that BW answered our question buy asking us another question. We are now replying to it.

Offtopic:I feel sorry for the quality of answers Sorcs and Vanguard got but the quality of questions they gave weren't that great either. G.I.G.O. Too perceptive, filled with paragraphs and narrative-like that homes into one topic that pidgeon holes the dev's potential answer; almost like a yes or no question thats going to get a yes or no answer. Check out the Marauder forums right now and look for KBN and my comments on their sample questions.

The Sniper forums realized the potential of asking a limiting and bad question and have had a [jumpto=5]thread[/jumpto] that discuess how to make the best question possible out of a sample of questions. Even had a literary expert PM me and we have been revising the questions as the days passed up until the final day of submission. I guess the sniper forums is just lucky to have a lot of helpful and immersed posters (as a result we also have 0% trolls over there) :)

bad questions do not deserve insulting answers. What BW did was outright insulting. That's why Im saying whats the point. They obviously couldn't care less about what we ask them in the first place.

Edited by Ansalem

bad questions do not deserve insulting answers. What BW did was outright insulting. That's why Im saying whats the point. They obviously couldn't care less about what we ask them in the first place.

Ok. ...........

Something Dom and I can agree on!

Sorry for ya guys.. maybe the next round you guys can come up with better questions :p So Dom and Arriss blames BW for the low quality answers.. Some people (end-game raiding) in The Harbinger blames the rep for low quality and pvp-centric (pve) questions .. I guess to each his own opinion.

Anyways http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=674592

Edited by paowee

Sorry for ya guys.. maybe the next round you guys can come up with better questions :p So Dom and Arriss blames BW for the low quality answers.. Some people (end-game raiding) in The Harbinger blames the rep for low quality and pvp-centric (pve) questions .. I guess to each his own.

Anyways http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=674592

The rep's answers were insulting and in most of the cases wrong. Even a bad question doesn't deserve an answer which basically says "lol l2p, heal to full and make them pay!" which is horrifically wrong and actually doesn't work.

I think warriors need buffing all around. They need more buffs to tanking and burst dmg I mean they can 4 or 5 shot people in pvp they should be able to 2 shot *****es! Also they need at least 2 more awesome survivability skills added maybe something that makes them immune to dmg and doubles their dps output at the same time for some reasonable time like 8s that sounds about right

So true. If bioware required questions proofread by a "literary expert" to give decent answers, they should have had class reps submit resumes to make sure they could perform the job. It's really convenient for them that they got a portion of the population to blame the people who wrote the questions, though. It takes the heat off the people who are paid to interact with their customers and puts it squarely on the shoulders of the community members who did their secretary work.

Paowee, if the sniper population had gotten these sorts of answers (and we could have, if the devs didn't play our class) you would have been accused of writing bad questions, no matter how much effort you put into it. The questions left plenty of room for the devs to elaborate on philosophies or provide insight into what they see is the "correct" way to play these classes. Instead they decided to be condescending and dismissive. Blaming that on the (unpaid, volunteer) class reps instead of the (paid) devs and community team is unfair.

Edited by namesaretough

Aaaand back on subject - even though I fully agree that the sorc/vang answers were really bad, I also agree that the questions were really bad..

Anyway.. Sniper/slinger ability discussion.

What about Laze actually benefitting the group as well.. Maybe provide 60% critchance for the group for 5 seconds with a 45-60 second cooldown.

Target acquired could be a big alacrity buff on a 5 min cd. Maybe group wide - but that would probably be pvp gamebreaking w. arenas. Group wide in pve only would be a nice feature.

So true. If bioware required questions proofread by a "literary expert" to give decent answers, they should have had class reps submit resumes to make sure they could perform the job. It's really convenient for them that they got a portion of the population to blame the people who wrote the questions, though. It takes the heat off the people who are paid to interact with their customers and puts it squarely on the shoulders of the community members who did their secretary work.

Paowee, if the sniper population had gotten these sorts of answers (and we could have, if the devs didn't play our class) you would have been accused of writing bad questions, no matter how much effort you put into it. The questions left plenty of room for the devs to elaborate on philosophies or provide insight into what they see is the "correct" way to play these classes. Instead they decided to be condescending and dismissive. Blaming that on the (unpaid, volunteer) class reps instead of the (paid) devs and community team is unfair.

I guess.

Hey I'm not blaming the rep >_<. Just passing what I heard from "some people in The Harbinger"

Anywho since this thread is on the verge of derailment anyways..

My version:

The survivability of sorcerer' seem to be a recurrent problem in 8v8 pvp. With the advent of burst classes and same-spec stacking, a Madness Sorcerer wearing light armor and has long defensive cooldowns (barrier lock-out, rootable force speed in all but one spec) we may be taking more damage compared to what some classes are able to mitigate, avoid or kite away over the course of a long sustained fight in close proximity to the melee classes. What does your internal tests show as far as Madness Sorcerer survivability when focus fired by multiple instant burst classes in small scale 4v4 arena?

Maybe it will take 3 months in live for them to see that Sorcs in 4v4 are priority "laughable" targets before promising any new changes. When despite of you self-healing and your 3 teammates helping you with extricates, guards, taunts, AoE mezs, hard stuns and even in spite of an Operative healer, you the DPS Sorcerer still drop downs in an instant beyond any form of viability in 4v4. Maybe you are right the devs don't understand Sorcs in the first place...

But what if for the Snipers then, what kind of...

Bad answer do you think would we have gotten if we submitted:

In 4v4 PvP a big concern right now is LoS. All of our 3 specs depend on casting and channeling abilities in order to deal damage. Marksman and Lethality altho having big sustained DPS (mostly fluff in 8v8 due to dots for Lethality) lacks burst dps and requires set-up in order to deal their max potential damage possible. Cleansable dots and requiring 2 snipes to get a 1.5 sec Ambush that can all easily be LoS does not look like a reliable burst in small scale PvP compared to Mrarauder's instant 8k smash for example. In order for Snipers to get reliable big bursts of DPS we would need to come within close range of the wall or pillar kiting player (which i assure you will always be the case for high level pvp play). In other words we would rely on fighting less than "optimal" players who sit out in the open in order to deal damage. Compare this to classes like AP PTs and the ever popular Rage Marauder. These classes wear medium to heavy armor and have perfect gap closing abilities very suitable for small scale arenas. They also superior defensive cooldowns that helps them stick to their target and deal their DPS. HO, Camo, Saber Ward, etc.. compare this to Sniper's Covered Escape, Shield Probe (absorbs ~8-10k) and Evasion (Smash goes through Evasion), and our roll is counterproductive since running away from them means they can just swap targets and LoS. So with all these in mind do you think there is a very obvious disparity between sniper's ability to deal damage while in range of the melee classes? Melee classes ALREADY have the advantage of LoS when dealing with range classes. Is there any plan to give us, a range class, some sort of damage mitigation to deal with this new 4v4 melee friendly PVP environment and the fact that we would need to come CLOSE to them in order to deal damage at all? Some ability that, given the proper amount of team assistance, can help us withstand an assault from multiple players?

I'm pretty sure it will be somewhere along the lines of:

"No we don't plan to give you an extra damage mitigation ability. You have shield probe, don't tell me you want a new ability "shield probe ii??" Also you have to coordinate with your team and learn to kite in order to survive the melee onslaught. If you run a 2 Sniper, 1 Jugg Tank, 1 Op healer team and you expect to go toe-to-toe with a Marauder heavy line-up and expect to win by face-tanking them, good luck with that."

:confused:

Edited by paowee