Is Carnage/Combat viable for PvP or do I need to go Fury/Concentration?

DesperadoIG

Pretty much every spec of every class is viable in 6.0 PVP.

That being said, if given the choice between Fury and Carnage, I'd take the former 9 out of 10 times, with that one time being if I was part of a hard-swap comp in 4's (I have no emotional connection to < 4.0 Carnage like many do).. Mobility is really important in PVP and you almost always take the spec that's more mobile....which Fury is.

Edited by Csjbo

Pretty much every spec of every class is viable in 6.0 PVP.

That being said, if given the choice between Fury and Carnage, I'd take the former 9 out of 10 times, with that one time being if I was part of a hard-swap comp in 4's (I have no emotional connection to < 4.0 Carnage like many do).. Mobility is really important in PVP and you almost always take the spec that's more mobile....which Fury is.

This is bad advice... People should play what they like and not what others tell them to.. Yeah sure fury is super great brain dead easy spec, but I hate it.. and I am bored to death from playing it for 3 years in past meta. So my dear thread starter if you enjoy carnage just play it.

You need greater skill to make it work, but it's worth it. Good luck.

This is bad advice... People should play what they like and not what others tell them to.. Yeah sure fury is super great brain dead easy spec, but I hate it.. and I am bored to death from playing it for 3 years in past meta. So my dear thread starter if you enjoy carnage just play it.

You need greater skill to make it work, but it's worth it. Good luck.

Carnage is pretty boring now, with gore becoming an attack instead of the timed armor debuff. Especially due to the constant misses from white damage dcd's and accuracy debuffs. Greater skill or not, you will get outdps'd constantly and the burst potential for fury 1v1 is better.

Fury actually has a higher burst potential imo (with the stun resist), furious strike hits harder than gore for me, devastating blast is roughly equal to raging burst. Fury has more yellow damage on the other abilities including a dot carnage used to have on ravage, which buffed it even further. And it has stun resist, a really important factor. So overall it's much better than carnage and higher sustained damage. You're only hurting yourself if you play carnage. A good mara can still compete to an extent but they're really only gimping themselves.

Edited by RACATW

Carnage is pretty boring now, with gore becoming an attack instead of the timed armor debuff. Especially due to the constant misses from white damage dcd's and accuracy debuffs. Greater skill or not, you will get outdps'd constantly and the burst potential for fury 1v1 is better.

Fury actually has a higher burst potential imo (with the stun resist), furious strike hits harder than gore for me, devastating blast is roughly equal to raging burst. Fury has more yellow damage on the other abilities including a dot carnage used to have on ravage, which buffed it even further. And it has stun resist, a really important factor. So overall it's much better than carnage and higher sustained damage. You're only hurting yourself if you play carnage. A good mara can still compete to an extent but they're really only gimping themselves.

Ok so... let me restate my point.

Since pre season started I played over a hundred games on mara on all 3 specs tot test them and yes sadly I cannot give any argument to counter your point here.

Carnage is just garbage at the moment. Sure.. it is the most " mara " spec when it comes to playstyle, it's the original dual wielder but it doesn't deliver anything at all other than... better animations and better looking abilities.

I remember that all the way through 4.0 and half way into 5.0 carnage was really good in PVP, but it's a joke now. Nerfed to death it's just good for the trash can. You can do really good on Annihilation although it's much more situational. Anni was the 2nd best spec I enjoyed the most SR. In situations where enemy team was spread out it loses it's potential.

Fury was my least played , but sadly as much I hate that spec's plastyle, it really delivers the most for a deluded mara main like myself.

Overall maras are below oper and sins, especially opers... but you can still be useful to your team.

Edited by DavidAtkinson

Carnage has no burst. Don't play it, there is no point to it unless you are hardswapping granked like above post mentions.

????

Carnage still it is the better bursty class. Yes Fury is bursty much easier and also more defensive, but Carnage or Combat in Sentinel language is still a better bursty class.

Annihilation is the one without burst.

????

Carnage still it is the better bursty class. Yes Fury is bursty much easier and also more defensive, but Carnage or Combat in Sentinel language is still a better bursty class.

Annihilation is the one without burst.

No. Fury is actually a little better in fact at burst. Try it out and you'll see.

The stun resist during fury burst phase counts for a lot, it ensures you can have completely uninterrupted burst with the same (and sometimes more damage than carnage, e.g. in 5.0, perfect scenario for fury was 30k furious strike, 28k raging burst and 25k vicious throw for me, my gore was actually a smaller hit than furious strike at around 28k w/ ferocity...).

It's not me playing but these videos are a decent comparison of how similar the burst is, you'll see essentially the same crit levels and same amount of burst.

If you're thinking berserk makes it special somehow, it doesnt really, sure you attack slightly faster than normal with it up as carnage but it hardly makes a difference, you can still get stunned easy enough since you have no stun resist. You still have to generate rage for your burst period too during berserk and don't get the rage back when using berserk like fury does.

Edited by RACATW

No. Fury is actually a little better in fact at burst. Try it out and you'll see.

The stun resist during fury burst phase counts for a lot, it ensures you can have completely uninterrupted burst with the same (and sometimes more damage than carnage, e.g. in 5.0, perfect scenario for fury was 30k furious strike, 28k raging burst and 25k vicious throw for me, my gore was actually a smaller hit than furious strike at around 28k w/ ferocity...).

Yes burst is similar but Carnage/Combat gives you 30k plus x2 burst with Clash Blast and Dispatch, blade barrage is pretty close in nos to. (Sorry i am using Sent names) The burst is better with Carnage/Combat. I am doing these nos with very basic 306 no set peace and augments btw and very far away from BiS having levelled last week. Now that Fury has easier to do rotation and stun immunity, and a very good burst in this which is only like 10-20% weaker then Carnage, that I agree. But for single target burst Combat is better, although not as viable as should be. Combat/Carnage is also weaker atm in sustained DPS.

But anyways once you get the window CB and D, there is not much stopping a Combat Sentinel in my experience esp in 1vs1 situations.

I found my sweet spot with massacre tactical. Gore and vicious throw with mashing massacre. I am in a complete set up and am getting 50 to 60k on both and lots of 25ks on massscre. And add in the fluff dps. I don’t know why carnage is getting a bad rap regarding sustainable dps. As long as the feet are moving they are a machine. Best aggressive high octane class still to play. Now for getting ccd constantly, that’s where I see some love needed....especially for ranked. Ton of fun for regs though. Edited by Josewales

Yes burst is similar but Carnage/Combat gives you 30k plus x2 burst with Clash Blast and Dispatch, blade barrage is pretty close in nos to. (Sorry i am using Sent names) The burst is better with Carnage/Combat. I am doing these nos with very basic 306 no set peace and augments btw and very far away from BiS having levelled last week. Now that Fury has easier to do rotation and stun immunity, and a very good burst in this which is only like 10-20% weaker then Carnage, that I agree. But for single target burst Combat is better, although not as viable as should be. Combat/Carnage is also weaker atm in sustained DPS.

But anyways once you get the window CB and D, there is not much stopping a Combat Sentinel in my experience esp in 1vs1 situations.

Avoiding the stun resist issue. Carnage burst gets completely shut down whenever it can't do massacre procs which is very common as this is white damage. Thats a huge issue for it but not so much for fury. Carnage is basically forced to hope it can stun the target and avoid missing its procs, especially 1v1.

All fury has to do is leap somewhere for its burst (including within 10m leap it has which doubles as a root breaker). Fury even has yellow burst (raging burst and then smash) if you want to leap twice after seeing an opportunity to interrupt. And of course it can use force crush and force scream as filler vs white damage dcds.

As an aside for my vicious throw / dispatch and devestating blast, db was 2k higher than it from what I remember, never really equal except on a rare occasion.

Edited by RACATW

I began the game fury, when fury was cool....then the nerf bat hit it.....so played carnage when carnage was cool.

When I came back, I was dead set on being good at carnage again.....but always seemed to be rage deprived. It just seemed broken, didn't flow anymore, and just played like I was swinging wet noodles.

Switched back to fury.....night and day difference. I would suggest this spec.

Have no opinion about anni because I have never played it.

Good luck!

Hmmm yeah, I guess it always has been tho, smash bk in the day was just silly burst aoe 😂

Actually back when carnage required significant skill, it was a burst spec. You could fit in three abilities to the gore window. Fury did not have such large advantages until carnage lost that.

Carnage was like that for 3.0, 4.0 and part of 5.0 unless memory fails me. Smash nerf occured sometime around 2.0 but was nerfed quickly enough.

Edited by RACATW

Actually back when carnage required significant skill, it was a burst spec. You could fit in three abilities to the gore window. Fury did not have such large advantages until carnage lost that.

Carnage was like that for 3.0, 4.0 and part of 5.0 unless memory fails me. Smash nerf occured sometime around 2.0 but was nerfed quickly enough.

Yeah I remember clipping to squeeze 3 abilities into gore, was fun and bursty, I think it was better prior to that sort of time though, or at least I remember at least 1 player who I knew was really good at *********** you up with combat, miss ya Bleezar :(

I think it was better prior to that sort of time though, or at least I remember at least 1 player who I knew was really good at *********** you up with combat, miss ya Bleezar :(

Carnage was like that for its entire lifespan until they removed it in 5.6. Carnage became more popular after 1.3 when they took Gore off the GCD (and nerfed the duration to 4.5 seconds to compensate), but you could still technically do your Ravage -> Scream or Berserk -> Massacre x2 -> Scream even in 1.0 -- it just took 1.5 extra seconds due to the GCD. They changed Carnage again in 3.0 so that Gore lasted only 3 seconds, which actually made the rotation a lot easier.

Smash wasn't nerfed at all for over two years, but I don't think many people played it until its buffs in 1.4. Basically from 1.4 to 2.7, Smash was played by almost everyone. Warzones were basically Smash and Bubble Stun -- which actually alienated a lot of PvPers from playing the game at all.

Carnage was like that for its entire lifespan until they removed it in 5.6. Carnage became more popular after 1.3 when they took Gore off the GCD (and nerfed the duration to 4.5 seconds to compensate), but you could still technically do your Ravage -> Scream or Berserk -> Massacre x2 -> Scream even in 1.0 -- it just took 1.5 extra seconds due to the GCD. They changed Carnage again in 3.0 so that Gore lasted only 3 seconds, which actually made the rotation a lot easier.

Smash wasn't nerfed at all for over two years, but I don't think many people played it until its buffs in 1.4. Basically from 1.4 to 2.7, Smash was played by almost everyone. Warzones were basically Smash and Bubble Stun -- which actually alienated a lot of PvPers from playing the game at all.

Yep, I remember this well, when I exclusively played anni in wz’s literally cos I liked the animation when moving aroung cauterising peeps 😂

Hi,

As I can see, people debate if the chosen one would be Carnage or Fury.

Before making a decision, I want to say my passion to those 2 specs.

The differences from Carnage and Fury would be:

1. Carnage:

- Has more white damage, so is better heal killer than tank killer, by default, u can miss a lot of attacks. But there is a sh*t trick to this game, in stun all defense is reduced to 0. So, if u're operative, and u use evasion before stun, it's completely useless. The point is, u have white damage, but if target is stunned and u don't have obfuscation on you, u will 100% not gonna miss in pvp, not even if u have 0 accuracy.

- Has a *********** mini net, THE GORE, it's not important, yes, it's not, but against an operative, Carnage has 3 useful tools, super stun to 30 sec with berserk, ravage with 3 sec immobilize, Gore. in here gore can be useful.

- +6 % DR and Defense. Pretty useful against punishing a jugg, can't say winning 100% against him, but punishing means u have a bit more buff to avoid or reduce damage taken.

- Dps is lower, yes, unfortunately, even with fanged god form tactical, is bad. That being said, CARNAGE is not dps spec, it should be Kill spec, like MM Sniper, PT AP etc. Though those have more dps due to more free-****in-casting

- Have a lot less mobility, that's why other classes from kill specs have more dps. Since u can set the utilities, the best ones for carnage would be different totally from anni and fury, most important thing, u need to put Mad dash root cleanse.

- Has 3% more alacrity, so is amazing for leveling, but since u have so many white attacks, your question should be, do you stun a lot? if yes, then u can reduce accuracy to 0, if u don't, u would need to put more accuracy, at least 105%, But I tell u a hint, very very *****, if u put 110% accuracy, some of your attacks will still miss, I don' understand how is it possible.

- I personally think utilities can be better set up for carnage needs, but requires a lot of mastery to a specific playstyle

- Very good cleave in pve ! WHO CARES? It is trash in pvp ! because your attacks are melee, and u miss everything.

2. Fury

- Fury has 6 seconds CC immunity, god, everyone knows that, just saying biggest difference.

- Fury has more dps overall, but main source of more dps is lack of stun, ofc those 6 seconds let u free dps, make enemy run, or use insta dcd or will eat a ravage/ Furious strike etc, and also +10% critical multiplier.

- Fury has balanced state in all conditions +3 dmg increase + 3 dmg reduction to shii cho form, smash with yellow dps, which is very strong with Overwhelm, really deserve the praise to the balanced state, u can either use Raging burst, either smash.

- Jump while immobilized, Obliterate lol. Real good gap closer.

- Due to spec needs, u have yellow attacks and white attacks, and to white attacks u can also have no effect if u miss them. So to be more specifically, in my personal opinion, fury doesn't require any accuracy, so u save some stat. if u miss furious strike, it's np, if u miss obliterate np continue rotation, etc. Which allows more dps, and better cleave with smash lol

- And most important thing, in my opinion, above 6seconds of cc immunity, and 6 seconds of stun immunity to saber ward, u have 10% defense. The main problem is, that is not regular defense, that defense is total defense 10% for 6 seconds. For those 6 seconds after furious strike, u can resist everything for 10% 6 seconds.

It can also resist a stun ! This is insane, 10% is not much, right? but it's a chance, this is op, lol.

In this meta Carnage is not kill spec anymore, but fury kept it's amazing properties,

Though if u go with Carnage, u can be more bursty with the devastating furious power tactical.

I choose fury, instantly, because it has a lot more advantages and u have an easy playstyle with a lot of survivavbility and easy rotation to follow even in dynamics of pvp.

Best Regards

Edited by ecstazypop

Carnage:

Has more white damage, so is better heal killer than tank killer

Lmfao. I love how you started your post with this categorically false statement so that people don't even need to read the rest of your post to understand that you know nothing about maurader.

Edited by septru