Any program which I can use to record my in-game keystrokes?

KomutanC

Hello there,

I started to play SWTOR about 4 years ago and I am currently interested in unranked PvP matches. I used to be a click player, but I recently adjusted some keybinds which were allowing me to recognize what was going around me in PvP matches. My keybinds are just perfect and allow me to play a lot better, but unfortunately, a new problem came up as I adjusted keybindings:

I SOMETIMES BREAK MY GAME.

My keybindings include many [single key] / [ L ctrl + single key] / [ L shift + single key] / [ L alt + single key] commands. However, since I am clicking on my keyboard like crazy in the heat of the battle, I suspect that I sometimes press a combination of command keys + a single key and break my game.

What I mean by "break my game" is: my PC instantly sends me to my desktop and opens multiple different programs. The real problem is, when I enter back to my game, the keys don't work as they should.

For example, I press the button "d" and my PC sends me back to my desktop and opens another program. Or I press the button "w" and my character does the ability which is bound with the command "[ L ctrl + v]". The command "[ L shift + r]" makes my character to jump, which is bound with "[space]", etc. Since I do not know what I have done wrong, I can not take it back as well and the only solution I have at the moment is to restart my PC. :(

I assume that you understood my problem, and (as you can see from the title as well :) ) I came up with a solution for this problem: I need an in-game keystroke recording program that records everything I press. After that, all I need to do is play the game until I break it again, and then check what I last pressed to find out which button combination is causing that weird stuff.

I'm all ears, any suggestions? :rak_02::rak_02::rak_02::rak_02::rak_02:

Edited by KomutanC

if you have the ability, disable the "windows" key on your keyboard.... that is most likely the source of all your woes.

I've also found (again if you have the ability) that binding shift and/or control to you mouse side buttons helps to eliminate "fat fingering" keys next to them that cause unusual results.... I'd recommend avoind alt as a modifier as well.

as for a program like you describe.... it's called a "Keylogger" and most AV software wil detect it as malware (for good reason)... search/use at your own risk

PS

FWIW I Applaud your thinking and desire to work through the problem in an analytical way

You probably hit WIN + D, that sends you to desktop and by the time it happens, you might already pushed down another keys and opened the programs. As suggested above, disable the hotkeys. There are various ways to do it.

Love your dedication. :)

As the others have said this is likely you triggering windows shortcuts, this is easily done when switching between ctrl and alt and is why some keyboards have the ability to turn them off. If you don't have a keyboard with this try disabling the windows shortcuts and see if that helps

As the others have said this is likely you triggering windows shortcuts, this is easily done when switching between ctrl and alt and is why some keyboards have the ability to turn them off. If you don't have a keyboard with this try disabling the windows shortcuts and see if that helps

If you don't have a keyboard with the option to disable the Windows keys, there are small free apps you can get that will do it.

You can also - with mixed results, depending upon the keyboard, simply remove the Windows key caps.

If you don't have a keyboard with the option to disable the Windows keys, there are small free apps you can get that will do it.

You can also - with mixed results, depending upon the keyboard, simply remove the Windows key caps.

Yeah I just replaced my windows key far away from my left hand, I faced no problems since then :) :) :)

Unlike beoware, swtor community is paying attention to people's problems and questions. Thx

Edited by KomutanC