Ben Irving leaving BioWare

Tahirri

As much as I like a nice narrative with a villain geting what they deserve, this is more akin to the coach "quitting" when the team doesn't perform very well. Sure, this is expected in certain positions, but the new broom is always in danger of either not faring much better or, worse, driving away the talents. Edited by Mubrak

Ben Irving seems to still be quite the "Company Man (tool)" considering his quote there

Ben Irving... “I believe Anthem has a bright future – there is a great team working on it and I look forward to following its progress (and playing it!) from the sidelines,”.

Pfft. Following the "Bean Counters" and building what the boss's dictate instead of what the players (Subscribers) would like.

As much as I would really like to post something toxic this just seems more like watch and walk away kinda situation.

Edited by MikeCobalt

So what if he is leaving, that is not my business or my problem. Frankly with that GC system he brought to this game and almost destroyed this game, good riddance to him.

When he started smiling in that livestream, boasting about how he showcased GC to his paymasters and said it was the best thing since the invention of the wheel and then mentioned he was moving off to another project, and then when 5.0 came out and saw this mass exodus of users. it was not only unforgivable but he used all of us and spat in our faces on his way out.

I've disliked GC since launch and more so since that livestream, i hate the system and want it gone and there is no other answer in my mind and never will be. even when it becomes RC i still want it gone, because it is a legacy of something Ben Irving left behind and EA is parading it around like it was some kind of trophy.

So what if he is leaving, that is not my business or my problem. Frankly with that GC system he brought to this game and almost destroyed this game, good riddance to him.

When he started smiling in that livestream, boasting about how he showcased GC to his paymasters and said it was the best thing since the invention of the wheel and then mentioned he was moving off to another project, and then when 5.0 came out and saw this mass exodus of users. it was not only unforgivable but he used all of us and spat in our faces on his way out.

I've disliked GC since launch and more so since that livestream, i hate the system and want it gone and there is no other answer in my mind and never will be. even when it becomes RC i still want it gone, because it is a legacy of something Ben Irving left behind and EA is parading it around like it was some kind of trophy.

I can personally understand all of the frustrations of the GC system. However, just how certain can anyone be that someone gave instructions to Ben (and perhaps other group members) to come up with a system to slow progression and or provide a means to substitute game activity without the expense of adding a great deal of more content.

Additional content usually includes a much larger scale of involvement and a much larger staff to do correctly. Hours and hours of grinding in order to complete achievements and earn pieces and parts that eventually can be cashed in for BiS gear ... that takes a lot less !

IMO... he did the job he was hired to do !

This is true.

I blame him to a degree, but let's be real: RNG crates are an EA thing, not inherently a Ben Irving thing. See Battlefront.

Good thing they turned that one around but now look at Apex Legends. Look at Mass Effect: Andromeda's multiplayer progression crawl. Look at their only substantial followup to it that added a ridiculous amount of grind to it on top of the RNG. Look at Inquisition's attempt to normalize the time consuming war table missions. This has been the case with any studio under EA so long as they can find a way to exploit the goodwill in the dev/player relationship.

He accomplished what he was expected to for the time being.

This is true.

I blame him to a degree, but let's be real: RNG crates are an EA thing, not inherently a Ben Irving thing. See Battlefront.

... This is in fact exactly my point.

While some of the details may have been his responsibility to implement .. IMO.. EA pretty much gave him a directive. Here's the budget... (cough ... cough... ) Here is where we want you to go with the game. This is the job.

I'm not suggesting that we get all teary eyed over the system ( although it probably brings tears to mine ... just not the same implication though) .. :D

I'm simply suggesting that he did the job he was hired to do. The fact that another company picked him up once this was completed should also tell us something about the industry over all.

BTW... it should be noted that this is not a rant against BW... IMO they are doing the best that they can with the personnel, time and budget that they are given.

EA... that is another topic for another day!

IMO... he did the job he was hired to do !

That entirely depends, was he a willing pawn of the EA higher ups to come up with something like that, or did he order it himself knowing he wouldn't have to face the community on the way out?

there is being hired to do something and there is doing what you want because you have the power to do that. From the way it was said in that livesteam, it looks more like he wanted to do this and parade it around saying it was the best thing for this game to his paymasters.

unless there is confirmation to the contrary, my opinion is that he wanted to take this direction 100%. i'll be clear here, i don't want yours or anyone elses opinion on the matter, i want a clear confirmation about it from someone official, otherwise this conversation is dead in the water and i'll leave it there.

This is true.

What is real? like asking what is normal?

All of it is from different points of view and because it all different points of view i don't take any notice of it until those points of view all align as one. basically i'm saying if you got nothing worth saying, no point adding and jumping on that bandwagon sinply because you can.

You point links right to the previous quoted person, get some proof first... and i don't want your opinions.

Edited by Celise

Great content, great story, great characters, great PVP experience, a vibrant community.....Is what builds a great game and a great legacy.

Pushing grind as content over and over is never gonna win people over.

How much he was an architet of this or just doing what he was hired to do is only ever gonna be matter of conjecture.

- Here's hoping that his successors make this the great game that it could ( and should) be.

That entirely depends, was he a willing pawn of the EA higher ups to come up with something like that, or did he order it himself knowing he wouldn't have to face the community on the way out?

there is being hired to do something and there is doing what you want because you have the power to do that. From the way it was said in that livesteam, it looks more like he wanted to do this and parade it around saying it was the best thing for this game to his paymasters.

unless there is confirmation to the contrary, my opinion is that he wanted to take this direction 100%. i'll be clear here, i don't want yours or anyone elses opinion on the matter, i want a clear confirmation about it from someone official, otherwise this conversation is dead in the water and i'll leave it there.

All of it is from different points of view and because it all different points of view i don't take any notice of it until those points of view all align as one. basically i'm saying if you got nothing worth saying, no point adding and jumping on that bandwagon sinply because you can.

You point links right to the previous quoted person, get some proof first... and i don't want your opinions.

At best all you have is speculation. All of us for that matter.. all we have is speculation. IMO.. (like it or not) ... that is not enough to pass that sort of judgement.

Shared responsibility is always a part of the job. Even in upper management. Winning a popularity contest is not.

Granted SWTOR did not get into the pickle it's in over night. There were repeated cut backs. Again ... IMO.. the budget and how to direct that was the key. And to be perfectly candid about it ... it's unlikely that anyone outside of those to whom Ben Irving answered to can answer that sort of a question.

For whatever it's worth .. I do understand why you are upset. This game had so much potential. Many have stayed waiting patiently for better content and a genuine demonstration of appreciation to the Star Wars legacy. Many players feel let down and disappointed. Even with the release of JUS and Ossus it was for many still even more disappointment. I don't blame you for the frustration.

I hope this makes sense. Even if it is not the resolution to the problems we face as SWTOR customers.

At best all you have is speculation. All of us for that matter.. all we have is speculation. IMO.. (like it or not) ... that is not enough to pass that sort of judgement.

That’s why I wish him the best. No one except BW knows exactly how much impact Ben had on SWTOR.

Sure, he was a vocal part of BW during that time and touted the changes as great changes, but that doesn’t prove he had anything to do with the actual implementation of said changes.

I rather look ahead than look backwards, anyway.

That’s why I wish him the best. No one except BW knows exactly how much impact Ben had on SWTOR.

Sure, he was a vocal part of BW during that time and touted the changes as great changes, but that doesn’t prove he had anything to do with the actual implementation of said changes.

I rather look ahead than look backwards, anyway.

On this we both totally agree. Well said..

Thank You !

Personally, I'd be interested to know here he's moving to.

So I can avoid their products.

Sw:ToR - LP: Ben Irving years - disaster.

Anthem - LP: Ben Irving - nuclear disaster.

Wouldn't knowingly touch a game he's involved with.

He must talk a good talk, because he's had 2 LP positions, but the output of his time as LP clearly shows he can't walk the walk.

All The Best

T

I meant "let's be realistic" because I am trying to think of the most probable/logical reason for loot crates.

If the worst thing Irving did was GC loot crates, why was the same system put in place for several other EA games? Why do we assume that it was his personal decision? I think he had some control over HOW they were implemented, and I think we can place the blame on him for the game's direction, such as chapter/story focus, and lack of raids.

But as for the last part of your post, I don't care whether you want proofs or not. I'm not here to prove anything to you, nor post for your pleasure. Take what I say or leave it, it doesn't matter in an off topic thread about something we can only speculate about because none of us work for BW or EA.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

I meant "let's be realistic" because I am trying to think of the most probable/logical reason for loot crates.

If the worst thing Irving did was GC loot crates, why was the same system put in place for several other EA games? Why do we assume that it was his personal decision? I think he had some control over HOW they were implemented, and I think we can place the blame on him for the game's direction, such as chapter/story focus, and lack of raids.

But as for the last part of your post, I don't care whether you want proofs or not. I'm not here to prove anything to you, nor post for your pleasure. Take what I say or leave it, it doesn't matter in an off topic thread about something we can only speculate about because none of us work for BW or EA.

The orange is why I wouldn't even start to try to blame him for anything. I mean really, who knows except for those close to him and those in charge of making decisions for the game exactly what he had control of.

And for what it's worth, I really enjoy your no-nonsense style of post writing. I can appreciate someone that isn't here for other's amusement. You just put your opinion down no matter how crude and rude and just let the chips fall where they may!

Looking forward to reading more of your posts. :rak_01:

Why does it matter what he did or didn't do. He's leaving and I wish him the best. Sure he made mistakes but I am not going to dwell on it. It's done and over with no sense holding a grudge. Let the past be the past and go forward from there.

The orange is why I wouldn't even start to try to blame him for anything. I mean really, who knows except for those close to him and those in charge of making decisions for the game exactly what he had control of.

And for what it's worth, I really enjoy your no-nonsense style of post writing. I can appreciate someone that isn't here for other's amusement. You just put your opinion down no matter how crude and rude and just let the chips fall where they may!

Looking forward to reading more of your posts. :rak_01:

lol did you just insult me? That was a bit of a backhanded complement 😂 Luckily, I have a dark and salty sense of humor.

I don't necessarily have popular opinions, but I'm okay with that. I also don't hold grudges for very long. I understand that people and opinions evolve, change, and grow -- which is why I wish people were more direct and expressive of their feelings/opinions.

lol did you just insult me? That was a bit of a backhanded complement 😂 Luckily, I have a dark and salty sense of humor.

I don't necessarily have popular opinions, but I'm okay with that. I also don't hold grudges for very long. I understand that people and opinions evolve, change, and grow -- which is why I wish people were more direct and expressive of their feelings/opinions.

I also think grudges are a total waste of time and energy. It takes a lot for me to hold an eternal grudge against someone!

I never develop hatred for people via forums interaction, I mean rarely does our online persona mirror our actual personalities when face to face, plus nothing here we are discussing is worth hating anyone over.

Different opinions are nice because it's always good to see the other side of a coin, imo. I learn more by hearing other opinions versus hearing my own voice in an echo chamber.

That being said, let's wish Ben good luck and hope he takes good knowledge of how to develop a game to some future game. The world needs a new, good MMO. :)

I do not blame former Ben Irving for EA's end game monetization loot box subscribe-to-grind scheme.

Under Irving, when 4.0 was released back in 2015 currency was streamlined, PVP gear was easier to get and we got a lot of subscriber gifts. 2016 saw the implementation of RNG loot boxes with 5.0's release which resulted in a online riot here on the forums and in-game. The result was a gift of something like 1500cc for subscribed players and a new pyramid direct-purchase scheme using the quasi-currency "unassembled components". (EA's gear monetization schemes blew up spectacularly with the release of Battle Front 2017)

I do blame the current producer for 2017's disastrous server merge implementation (Update 5.5's "United Forces"). There was near universal agreement that server merges were needed. Current Producer walked us through the process without telling us the final disastrous result:

West Coast servers were merged into a East Coast located server where Bioware waited till the last possible moment to inform everyone about it. The result was a dramatic population reduction for the server once known as Harbinger , as many APAC quit the game en masse. Existing East Coast servers were then merged with RP-dominant Ebon Hawk renamed Star Forge.

In retrospect an optimal server merge would all formerly RP servers merged into Ebon Hawk and all PVE/PVE servers merged into Harbinger preferably in a West Coast datacenter.

I do wish him all the best but I am glad he is gone from the company. It will take some time to heal the wounds he caused but eventually the games will get over it. As it was stated already I hope that he learns form his mistakes and will be a better producer to where ever he is heading.