How are you maxing out Sniper/Slinger gear, augments, abilities.

Jarbarian

I'm at a conundrum. Other Slingers/Snipers in PVP are out dpsing me (averaging around 8-10k, I'm stuck around 4k) . I actually watch and often inspect them to see what their toon looks like/doing. I just don't understand. Maybe my rotation is wrong or something. But usually I get 2-4 enemies on me and I get beaten to a pulp (because Slingers/Snipers are usually the first to be targeted). But I am confused on how some snipers can sit there and appear to take no damage while me, in full defense, screen, dodge, diversion, etc, I still take massive damage. Scoundrels, for the life of me, are my bane. Can't get them off me, can't DPS them, can't slow them down much, etc.

Gear Set: Established Foothold (for Hunker down, to protect bases from being capped.

Augments (mix of Mastery/Crit).

With Versatile Stim:

Mastery: 13,095

Endurance: 16,268

Power: 10,030

Critical: 2819

Alacrity: 1210

Accuracy: 823

Damage Primary: 6566-7746

Damage Secondary: 413-767

Bonus Damage: 5189.5

Accuracy: 106.6 (I know, needs to be 105 flat)

Critical Change: 41.24

Critical Multiplier: 68.15

Usually with rotation I am going: Flourish, Vital Shot, Penetrating Rounds, Trickshot, Charged burst (usually have to roll by then), Aimed Shot, then normal rotation. I don't seem to be making much of an impact. If they get to me, I use Penetrating Rounds or Pulse to knock them back. Doesn't matter.

Operatives, Sages, Mercs and other Snipers just destroy me. Is there something wrong with my gear or rotation that is getting me killed so fast?

Edited by Jarbarian

There are a couple of things. First, your Critical score should be around 3300. Accuracy only needs to be at least 105% (at least 653 score, I believe), and Alacrity score should be at least 1213. Once you reach those numbers, put the rest of your stats into Mastery and Power.

Beyond that, when in combat Entrench/Hunker Down is your best friend. Stopping CC/stuns is huge, because despite the appearance of a turret gunner, Snipers/Gunslingers have to be mobile, like ever other ranged spec. You need to use line of sight along with your DCDs, and don’t attack unless you know where to go once you get focused.

As far as your rotation, it sounds like you’re not going with a DOT spec, so you don’t need to use Vital Shot/Corrosive Dart except for in a few rare circumstances. There really isn’t much of a rotation to stick to because you’ll be moving around too much and using DCDs. There are abilities that proc other abilities, but which ones you use depend on your situation.

There are a couple of things. First, your Critical score should be around 3300. Accuracy only needs to be at least 105% (at least 653 score, I believe), and Alacrity score should be at least 1213. Once you reach those numbers, put the rest of your stats into Mastery and Power.

Beyond that, when in combat Entrench/Hunker Down is your best friend. Stopping CC/stuns is huge, because despite the appearance of a turret gunner, Snipers/Gunslingers have to be mobile, like ever other ranged spec. You need to use line of sight along with your DCDs, and don’t attack unless you know where to go once you get focused.

As far as your rotation, it sounds like you’re not going with a DOT spec, so you don’t need to use Vital Shot/Corrosive Dart except for in a few rare circumstances. There really isn’t much of a rotation to stick to because you’ll be moving around too much and using DCDs. There are abilities that proc other abilities, but which ones you use depend on your situation.

Thanks. That means I have to drop mastery to get my crit back up. Are you saying SharpShooter isnt the best PVP spec? I see Shooters in PVP pretty much topping damage/DPS at around 8-10k. I'm stuck at 4k. Never been about 6k.

But what about combat proficiencies?? Total sharpshooter gunslinger so I am not sure if I picked the best options.

Edited by Jarbarian

Sharpshooter/Marksman is a great spec to go into a wz with, but you have to be able to kite people and maximize your LoS ability. Some Slingers/Snipers can just sit somewhere and blast away, but that’s usually when the opposing team is foolish enough to let them.

And yes, you may have to drop some mastery. It’s best to focus on getting your alacrity, critical, and accuracy numbers before worrying about mastery and power.

• 3 months later...

Sharpshooter is the best for ranked. For regs anything goes. You may wish to try the repositioning armor set for extra mobility. One of the biggest problems with sharpshooter is most of its offensive abilities are charged or channelled. Meaning you have to stand still. (This is not the case with dirty fighting or saboteur. In fact saboteur only has 1 ability in the main rotation that is channelled, the rest are insta cast.) Also most good PVPers know when Aimed Shot is coming and to avoid it and most know Sharpshooter can be LOS'ed easily. Much easier than Gunnery or Telekinetics. Usually Commando and Sage will beat sharpshooter because of their better mobility and heals which is why slinger has the lowest survivability of the ranged classes in PVP and the rarest ranged class in ranked. But level of skill can change this.

Operatives are every other classes bane. All things being equal a concealment operative will beat every other class/spec in 1v1. (Assuming skill levels are even). They are the best duelling class and have been for ages. You can stay alive longer against them and maybe make them retreat by paying attention to their buffs and knocking them back. In your interface editor, enlarge the size of the buffs/debuffs of your target so you can clearly see when they have dodge and/or evasion up. When these are up they can't be hit with white damage. Most of the damage from Sharpshooter is white damage. Use your teleport to escape/create distance if you have to and if you can stay near allies. Operative players love to pick off lone stragglers. Put diversion on yourself to reduce their accuracy when they come in close. Rotate your dcd's and use them as you need them. Don't pop them all at once. If you have just knocked them back, save your evasion & shield for when they get in close etc

Your gear isn't too bad, maybe a few tweaks for more crit & slightly less acc. As far as a rotation, you don't need to begin with flourish shot. The healer debuff is handy but it only lasts for 10 seconds and your opponent probably isn't going to heal themselves much that early in the fight. Even is you have the utility point that causes it to reduce movement speed by 50% there are other offensive abilities that should get priority. I would start with vital shot (for the debuff it applies), penetrating rounds, trickshot, burst volley, penetrating rounds, trickshot. (This will prob be your highest dps burst window). Then charged burst X2, trickshot, Aimed shot, trickshot, penetrating blast, trickshot....etc. Use quickdraw on CD then trickshot. Vital shot and flourish shot can also be cast while moving so they are good to use when you're kiting as a filler.

In between all this you may need to use dcds and/or move. Take the Heads Up utility point so you get 6 seconds of plus 50% movement speed and immunity to movement impairing when hunker down ends. Take Reset Engagement so surrender purges movement impairing and increases movement speed by 75%. I personally love Plan B & C for the low CD on stuns. These utility points should help you control your opponent and also move around.

I hope this helps, I'm definitely not a master slinger in PVP. I only did ranked for one season and got silver with saboteur. Check out this guy, he's really good and uploads new sniper stuff often, he has achieved gold in ranked on multiple classes. This is his marksman guide -