Chiss as a playable race?

Allfader

I know the Lore of this game matches Lucas cannon, so I'm curious how the game managed to use the Chiss as a playable race in this game. In the book "Outbound Flight" the Chiss Ascendancy was first discovered in the Outer Regions by accident. Nobody had ever seen or heard of them before this, and this book took place when Anakin was a Padawan. How does the game explain the existence of the race well before that?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You just put in word for word exactly what I asked during the stress test. The answer I was given was this :

A lot of information was lost in between this game and when Outbound Flight happened. The issue is that all of the information was lost on the Chiss and when they found them again that they were all like, "Oh sup, we dont know who you are!"

Here's my problem with this. Are they trying to say that both the Chiss and the Republic AND the Imperials lost ALL information on the Chiss in between when this game happened and when that book was published?

I call B.S. on this.

Well, the Dark Jedi and the Republic managed to forget all about each other in the 1900 years preceding the Great Hyperspace War, and there's almost twice as much time from "now" until Outbound Flight. Also, the Chiss are participating as allies of the Empire--not slaves--and retaining their independence in the Unknown Region, so the greater Chiss society may not have had too many dealings with the Republic/Empire.

The Republic doesn't find all the Empire's secrets, or allies, or even their capital world, as the location of Dromund Kaas will be a secret known only to certain Sith in centuries to come. So while they might have known "Oh, there's these blue people among all the other aliens that work for the Empire" that's different from knowing exactly where they're from or what their society is like.

And the Imperials will go through so many iterations, infighting, destruction, the Rule of Two, etc. between "now" and "then" that they must have lost tons of records.

So it might be a little bit of a stretch, but not impossible, imho.

Edited by Mijal

Here's my problem with this. Are they trying to say that both the Chiss and the Republic AND the Imperials lost ALL information on the Chiss in between when this game happened and when that book was published?

I call B.S. on this.

Think about this. The history of the human race (written/oral) is about 5000 years. There is still much in our history that we don't know, Such as the Trojan Wars.

Now the time between ToR and Movies is about 3000 years. BUT that isn't the history of a single race. Its the history of an ENTIRE GALACTIC REGION hundred of races, trillions upon trillions of beings.

So when the Chiss go back into seclusion it would make scene that data pertaining to them would get buried by more current information.

Now jump ahead 3000 years, your are a researcher and a blue skin alien race appears. Your job is too look for information through 3000 years of records. How do you know what to look for? How do you even know 3000 years is far enough back? What if the filing system has changed? Did you know the Chiss were working for the empire at the time? How do you know they Wern't allies of the republic? I would think after 3000 years there might be some damage to the records themselves?

Also history is dictated by the victors. How do we know that some historian didn't write the Chiss out of the history books for killing his puppy?

You could easily spend several life times looking through the records without finding anything. So even though the records most likely exist, FINDING them isn't so easy.

Edited by Daraco

Well, the Dark Jedi and the Republic managed to forget all about each other in the 1900 years preceding the Great Hyperspace War, and there's almost twice as much time from "now" until Outbound Flight. Also, the Chiss are participating as allies of the Empire--not slaves--and retaining their independence in the Unknown Region, so the greater Chiss society may not have had too many dealings with the Republic/Empire.

The Republic doesn't find all the Empire's secrets, or allies, or even their capital world, as the location of Dromund Kaas will be a secret known only to certain Sith in centuries to come. So while they might have known "Oh, there's these blue people among all the other aliens that work for the Empire" that's different from knowing exactly where they're from or what their society is like.

And the Imperials will go through so many iterations, infighting, destruction, the Rule of Two, etc. between "now" and "then" that they must have lost tons of records.

So it might be a little bit of a stretch, but not impossible, imho.

Agreed. Before Darth Bane, the dark lords really werent fond of sharing information and the historic archives were in a bad shape of disrepair. And even if Bane saved the information, he was so secretive that if that knowledge wasnt stored away in his holocron then it was probley lost to the sith.

During Darth Bane and Zannah...I think it was the second Darth Bane book....There was at least one Chiss in THAT book. Remember the one that Zannah did the Sith Sorcery on and she ended up going crazy because of the nightmares in her head. So see the Chiss were around still at least back in Bane's time. Since the old republic is before Bane it fits well with Cannon.

During Darth Bane and Zannah...I think it was the second Darth Bane book....There was at least one Chiss in THAT book. Remember the one that Zannah did the Sith Sorcery on and she ended up going crazy because of the nightmares in her head. So see the Chiss were around still at least back in Bane's time. Since the old republic is before Bane it fits well with Cannon.

and this...

Think about this. The history of the human race (written/oral) is about 5000 years. There is still much in our history that we don't know, Such as the Trojan Wars.

Now the time between ToR and Movies is about 3000 years. BUT that isn't the history of a single race. Its the history of an ENTIRE GALACTIC REGION hundred of races, trillions upon trillions of beings.

So when the Chiss go back into seclusion it would make scene that data pertaining to them would get buried by more current information.

Now jump ahead 3000 years, your are a researcher and a blue skin alien race appears. Your job is too look for information through 3000 years of records. How do you know what to look for? How do you even know 3000 years is far enough back? What if the filing system has changed? Did you know the Chiss were working for the empire at the time? How do you know they Wern't allies of the republic? I would think after 3000 years there might be some damage to the records themselves?

Also history is dictated by the victors. How do we know that some historian didn't write the Chiss out of the history books for killing his puppy?

You could easily spend several life times looking through the records without finding anything. So even though the records most likely exist, FINDING them isn't so easy.

We don't know things about human history because humans didn't always keep records like we do today. Either those societies didn't have the means to do so or the method they used to record history wasn't sufficient enough to last through the years.

In ToR people own interstellar space craft like we own cars, their technology is sufficient to keep records for thousands of years.

Furthermore the fact that this information is stored in a variety of ways across the GALAXY and not just on one planet means that some sort of cataclysmic event would not wipe out the data. There would have to be some great cosmic coincidence for that to happen.

The only logical conclusion is that the Chiss somehow erased all records of their own existence and went into hiding. Without any records the general populace would forget about them after several generations. Either that or there was some kind of "purging" event where the empire tried to wipe them all out and only a small group survived and then went into hiding.

It's still highly improbable that a species spread out across the galaxy could coordinate such an effort.

Edited by Hypernetic

I agree with Daraco, 3000 years is a long time. Think about how much people forgot in the 300 years between Revan's time and SWtOR. All of our records that have lasted from 1000 BC to today are generally about very important events, are myths/stories, or are random bits of information preserved by sheer happenstance, such as the odd bill of sale, letter, or inscription.

The Chiss are a secretive race to begin with that don't really act as a driving force in events, so likely when they went into seclusion for however many thousands of years people simply forgot about the stoic little blue people. Simply put, the Chiss aren't important enough for records of them to be preserved for thousands of years in a widespread manner.

Furthermore the fact that this information is stored in a variety of ways across the GALAXY and not just on one planet means that some sort of cataclysmic event would not wipe out the data. There would have to be some great cosmic coincidence for that to happen.

The only logical conclusion is that the Chiss somehow erased all records of their own existence and went into hiding. Without any records the general populace would forget about them after several generations. Either that or there was some kind of "purging" event where the empire tried to wipe them all out and only a small group survived and then went into hiding.

It's still highly improbable that a species spread out across the galaxy could coordinate such an effort.

It appears you only read about half my post, My point isn't that there are no records of the chiss. in fact the last line of my post is that most likely the information EXISTS, It was that there was 3000 years of history of an entire galactic region that is piled up on top of it and sifting through all that data could take LIFETIMES to processes. You even state " this information is stored in a variety of ways across the GALAXY" are these researchers going to take the time to travel/obtain/filter/sort/verify each of these independent sources of information?

Piratical example to get you thinking(Try it at home kids). given "Chiss information exists on the internet today".

-Now pretend your a researcher and google "blue face aliens from unknown regions"

-Now going down the list of sites returned (actually clicking and looking through each site because it is unknown to you if the site is about chiss or not since the name chiss is unknown to you) how long does it take you to get to the first site that has the information on chiss?

Give this information is recent and there is a game where they are featured prominently and that heir to the empire is having its 20 year anniversary chiss are going to be fresher information wies than they would have been if the last record would 3000 years ago but it works

-Now you have a base for 1 race, 1 planet, 1 information source and approximation 5000 years

-Now multiply this by the hundreds of different races and the possibly millions of planets and trillions of individual information sources and again approximation 5000 years since you dont know how far back you'll have to go to find the references your looking for.

and you have the point I was going for

Edited by Daraco

Lucas put his foot down on this one he has mandated ABSOLUTELY no jedi wookies after lowbacca. hes pissed that even lowbacca exist.

thats a shame. i would really think is an intresting idea. i also liked lowbacca. anyway it would be cool to be a wookie even if not a jedi class...

i really cant imagine a Trooper or Smuggler Wookie xD

It appears you only read about half my post, My point isn't that there are no records of the chiss. in fact the last line of my post is that most likely the information EXISTS, It was that there was 3000 years of history of an entire galactic region that is piled up on top of it and sifting through all that data could take LIFETIMES to processes. You even state " this information is stored in a variety of ways across the GALAXY" are these researchers going to take the time to travel/obtain/filter/sort/verify each of these independent sources of information?

Piratical example to get you thinking(Try it at home kids). given "Chiss information exists on the internet today".

-Now pretend your a researcher and google "blue face aliens from unknown regions"

-Now going down the list of sites returned (actually clicking and looking through each site because it is unknown to you if the site is about chiss or not since the name chiss is unknown to you) how long does it take you to get to the first site that has the information on chiss?

Give this information is recent and there is a game where they are featured prominently and that heir to the empire is having its 20 year anniversary chiss are going to be fresher information wies than they would have been if the last record would 3000 years ago but it works

-Now you have a base for 1 race, 1 planet, 1 information source and approximation 5000 years

-Now multiply this by the hundreds of different races and the possibly millions of planets and trillions of individual information sources and again approximation 5000 years since you dont know how far back you'll have to go to find the references your looking for.

and you have the point I was going for

I just Googled "blue aliens from unknown region" and Chiss was the first result.