Are all the "PvP sucks I'm quitting" people new to MMO's?

ZeusThunder

This isn't "inside information" is it? If you are looking for an MMO that feels polished and has more of a "done" feel you start subbing around 12-16 months after release. The logic is similar to why you don't buy a new OS the week after it goes live.

However, if you are willing to put up with the bugs and lack of some features then you sub right away so that you are "better" than the people who subbed after you.

Did you people who are leaving really expect the game to have no major bugs and contain all the content you wanted it to? Are you that naive? Are you that oblivious to how the modern MMO works?

For you people that have friends who are unsubbing because they don't like the game; I feel bad for you, but you should have expected this. No new MMO retains 100% of its subscriber base from day 1. People always leave the first few months after they've determined the game isn't for them.

For you people leaving, I suggest you sub to an MMO that has been live for at least 2 years and don't start playing MMO's as soon as they go live in the future.

For those of you who think GW2 will have everything you want in an MMO, you're in for huge disappointment.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this post will be deleted in 5..........4...............3...............2..............1.....by bioware as they don't want to hear bad things about their game only the good ... it's a carebear feel Edited by Colfy

I'm quitting (but playing til my sub runs out on 18th before you ask why I'm here).

I've pvp'd in mmo's for over 10 years and I aren't quitting because tor has new release bugs, I'm quitting because the design and implementation of everything supporting pvp is terrible, badly thought out, poorly executed and tacked on. This is because BW are arrogant and know what gamers want more than gamers do.

Edited by Roak

This isn't "inside information" is it? If you are looking for an MMO that feels polished and has more of a "done" feel you start subbing around 12-16 months after release. The logic is similar to why you don't buy a new OS the week after it goes live.

However, if you are willing to put up with the bugs and lack of some features then you sub right away so that you are "better" than the people who subbed after you.

Did you people who are leaving really expect the game to have no major bugs and contain all the content you wanted it to? Are you that naive? Are you that oblivious to how the modern MMO works?

For you people that have friends who are unsubbing because they don't like the game; I feel bad for you, but you should have expected this. No new MMO retains 100% of its subscriber base from day 1. People always leave the first few months after they've determined the game isn't for them.

For you people leaving, I suggest you sub to an MMO that has been live for at least 2 years and don't start playing MMO's as soon as they go live in the future.

For those of you who think GW2 will have everything you want in an MMO, you're in for huge disappointment.

Strawman.

It has barely any end game and what's there isn't fun. People don't expect the world on release -- but if even the basics aren't there, it's a problem. Even WoW had PLENTY of fun pvp at release (because the combat was engaging, pop was higher, engine could handle it, hubs were located properly) without reward/BGs.

Still, that said, I don't KNOW why people are complaining. This game is 6 months to a year away from having a proper pvp system. If you aren't having fun now, quit, unless you really want to be miserable for the forseeable future :cool:

I'm quitting (but playing til my sub runs out on 18th before you ask why I'm here).

I've pvp'd in mmo's for over 10 years and I aren't quitting because tor has new release bugs, I'm quitting because the design and implementation of everything supporting pvp is terrible, badly thought out, poorly executed and tacked on. This is because BW are arrogant and know what gamers want more than gamers do.

but yet you are going to play until your sub runs out

I feel very, very sorry for you.

Life must be awful.

Life must be awful.

More like we paid to play, so we play, regardless if the game is fun or not. Might as well capitalize on the money spent "just in case" we *might*, probably never though, come back.

Edited by RamzaBehoulve

Strawman.

It has barely any end game and what's there isn't fun. People don't expect the world on release -- but if even the basics aren't there, it's a problem. Even WoW had PLENTY of fun pvp at release (because the combat was engaging, pop was higher, engine could handle it, hubs were located properly) without reward/BGs.

Still, that said, I don't KNOW why people are complaining. This game is 6 months to a year away from having a proper pvp system. If you aren't having fun now, quit, unless you really want to be miserable for the forseeable future :cool:

I agree, I"m playing until my subscription runs out. No, I don't think the game should be perfect upon release I've played MMO's for over a decade as well, but should Bioware given us a better game than what they gave us upon release? yes, they should've. I hope this game polishes into a fine MMO to which i can resub to but till then, GL HF :)

Mordern mmo market requires that a game is polished at release date, yes, things have changed. People have choices and that is what makes it a must. Minor bugs are to be expected, but client instabilities and game errors/bad perfomance are not allowed sorry. That is what betas are for.

Today's mmo customers are more demanding than ever, content needs to be added in the first two months especially if the level limit is so easy and fast reachable. This is very affordable to a game that has released but has no serious problems to deal with such as performance/engine issues and delays.

If you have spent whole budget for designing the game, expect another additional one to maintain the people to your game by organizing your working groups/expanding them even more.

Edited by zaknaphein

i played:

eq1 at launch and it wasn't terrible

uo at launch and it wasn't terrible

ac1 at launch and it wasn't terrible

daoc at launch and it was terrible

swg at launch at it wasn't terrible

vanguard at launch and it wasn't terrible

then i played WoW at launch and it was pretty terrible, but holy **** did they market it well to the masses, suddenly mmo's became mainsteam.

but all recent mmo's have been terrible at launch:

swtor

aoc

WAR

rift

aion

It's because WoW came out in the middle there, and in came the greedy big corporations with $ signs in their eyes trying to copy WoW by pushing out inferior, unfinished games as fast as they can to get max profits.

Then after a few months they all wonder where the **** all their players went and just blame the players "it's just today's player".

Well it's not us, it's the greedy publishers! Today's mmo is just cheap imitations of WoW that focuses too much on pretty graphics, voiceovers etc at the expense of gameplay.

Copying WoW is where they're all going wrong, they should be copying decent pre-wow pvp mmo's then modernizing them and marketing them properly.

This is why GW2 is looking so appealing to many of us old school pvp'ers, not the post-wow kids who don't know any better and wouldn't know decent pvp if it hit them in the face.

Edited by Evuke

Life must be awful.

I don't know what is hard to understand. I don't have a problem with the actual pvp, but due to the pvp game design and implentation it has zero longevity so I won't be playing long term.

I have 3 rl mates playing so I log on of an evening for some 10-49 warzones with friends until my sub runs out.

life is good, thanks.

Edited by Roak

Mordern mmo market requires that a game is polished at release date, yes, things have changed. People have choices and that is what makes it a must. Minor bugs are to be expected, but client instabilities and game errors/bad perfomance are not allowed sorry. That is what betas are for.

Today's mmo customers are more demanding than ever, content needs to be added in the first two months especially if the level limit is so easy and fast reachable. This is very affordable to a game that has released but has no serious problems to deal with such as performance/engine issues and delays.

If you have spent whole budget for designing the game, expect another additional one to maintain the people to your game by organizing your working groups/expanding them even more.

engrish prease

I don't have a problem with the actual pvp, but due to the pvp game design and implentation it has zero longevity so I won't be playing long term.

They're releasing rated PvP next major patch, in MARCH

Releasing rated PvP at launch is a horrible clusterfsck in MMO's

Welcome to new MMO's

They're releasing rated PvP next major patch, in MARCH

Releasing rated PvP at launch is a horrible clusterfsck in MMO's

Welcome to new MMO's

rated instanced mingames, woooh!

bw told us there'd be objective based world pvp.

Edited by Roak

Are all the "PvP sucks I'm quitting" people new to MMO's

Funnily enough, the only people who would find the PVP in this MMO acceptable, are people who are indeed - NEW TO MMO's.

Let's see..

Minigame grinds (that's their entire pvp content pretty much. Massively multiplayer what?)

Gear focus + RNG

Ilum (rofl)

Meaningless, empty world PVP

Yeah, MMO veterans would simply adore that awesome PVP setup right there.

The logic is strong with this one.

Edited by Jebi

I'm going to let my sub expire in a couple weeks when my renewal is up. I've actually got into the habit of letting it expire to take time off from games. I think this time I'm going to let it slide until I see the big March patches.

I completely understand a MMO taking time to flesh things out. The only difference is I'm more in the camp of not paying and waiting, rather than paying and waiting. I think it's a fun game and will come back, but at this point I'd rather just save my money and wait to see how things shape up.

If your new to MMOs, or you need a reminder of how things work

stage 1: (pre release) bash former new mmo and claim the next one will be it

stage 2: (release) test the game and get hit with reality

stage 3: Proclaim unrealistic death of said mmorg

stage 4: blame the fanboys therefore labeling yourself as a non fan

stage 5: pay monthly subscription to continue to complain about said mmorg

stage 6: claim guild wars is the NEXT big thing

stage 5: revert back to stage 1 and continue the never ending cycle of hypocrisy

REPEAT

If your gonna QQ, atleast do it right :D

@OP,

I've played pretty much every MMO that's released since EQ1. I've come to reasonably expect certain basic things be included in my MMOs. I have not, over time, started to relax my standards just because 80% of all MMOs in recent memory screw things up.

In SWTOR, there simply isn't enough end game content. They have gear treadmill issues that need to be sorted out. They seem to have consistently screwed up Illum and their twof action system is a failure. They only have three WZs and they are all mediocre.

Hope that helps clear things up for you.

Its long, sorry.

On this topic, if you played GW1, even out of the gate, you know this is a far cry from the truth. It may have small issues to start, but GW2 will be working better on day 1 than most that have been out a while. Hence its constantly pushed back release and beta test number 6 now...

I played WoW on release for years, GW on release for a while, AoC on release, Rift, Aion and TCoS, and Fury.

Now-a-days each company faces release dates that are ahead of when they will be ready strictly because of funding. They need to release a game before "X" date in order to not go bankrupt. This usually leads to games that have a lot of bugs, issues, balance problems and lack of content for the first 6-12 months. When people get sick of issues, they leave for old games or new ones on the horizon.

WoW broke a mold and created a new user friendly popular game that set a standard. However, few recall the first days when it was rife with problems and balance issues. Most dont even know or recall raids and PvP didnt come out for the first 3-6 months. Before that you had TM/SS fights and leveling PvP on PvP servers. "Raiding" UBRS and doing tribute runs...

WoW is now polished and every game gets compared to it. Why play a game with tons of bugs when you get to play one that works over there? That's the mentality of most people, like it or not.

GW on release offered PvP instantly max level and PvE that lead to PvP by lvl 20 as well. Instant PvP at max level offered completely balanced gear and skills. Teamwork and skill made up the only factor in wins vs loss really. Eventually people got the "Elite Skills" from boons in leveling that transferred to PvP character. These had some good utility, but didnt even come close to breaking the game. People without Elite skills could still compete equally more or less.

The rest of the games I listed all are in the same boat at WoW release and SWTOR. Issues abound and will mostly all get dealt with over time, but a lot of people wont pay $15/mo to beta test for 1 year.

Also, I haven't played WoW in years, and I am no fan boy of any game. I just want fun, balance and lowest hit to my wallet for that. SWTOR has a lot of high points, but lots of low points. Worst thing so far is lack of communication regarding the devs thoughts, ideas, and direction especially in regards to PvP. Lots of ninja nerfs and fixes are also an issue... and nerfs or buffs that seemingly do the opposite after patches.

Objective based world PvP is longevity, lol that's a good one

I was willing to give it a chance, we were told they have the best pvp developers in the business after all. ilum v1 and subsequent ilum steps backwards have only shown they have no idea how to put dynamic world pvp or longevity into their pvp game.

Edited by Roak