Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A Quick and Dirty guide to raising Companion Affection

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
A Quick and Dirty guide to raising Companion Affection

georgemattson
03.01.2015 , 04:34 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by MSchuyler View Post
Well, same thing just happened with a new jedi counselor and his companion, Qyzen-Fess, now at level 10 with a legacy level of 34. Fess has zero gifts that are not "small" and the largest of of those is the ammo box which nets you 54; the others net you 29 apiece. So for the last three the only one that has worked as per the OP is Kalio, which was right on the numbers. The others are nowhere near.

YES, you can buy companion gifts on the GTN, but they are not close to the 200 credits and 600 credits per that are the basis for OP's scheme. For example, a single large affection gain for Fess is over 20K credits.

YES, you can send your companions out on missions if you have the right skill. Two are underground and diplomacy. But they return random gifts that may or may not return affection. They can also be sold on the GTN as per the above, so using them amounts to a loss.

I have to conclude that OP's original method no longer works as advertised, though it may in some instances. It's worth checking, though don't be surprised if, for your companion, it is no longer valid.
It still works. Not to the same degree, and you have to test to see what specific gifts give what specific values, but you can raise affection to 6k by just using the fleet vendor. I've raised 25 companions to 10k, and while I've done most of it with gifts I've gotten from missions (they accumulate like crazy when you're also grinding crew skills to 500 and not bothering to sell), quite a large chunk of that 250k worth of affection has come from rank 1 and 2 gifts (which you can buy from the vendor).
...and I'm back. For the third time. Maybe the fourth. I've lost count. Leveling yet another Sentinel/Maruader, and I'll likely figure out what I'm doing in about a month or so, right before I quit again. Not sure if I'm subscribing again.

MSchuyler
03.01.2015 , 04:59 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by georgemattson View Post
It still works. Not to the same degree, and you have to test to see what specific gifts give what specific values, but you can raise affection to 6k by just using the fleet vendor. I've raised 25 companions to 10k, and while I've done most of it with gifts I've gotten from missions (they accumulate like crazy when you're also grinding crew skills to 500 and not bothering to sell), quite a large chunk of that 250k worth of affection has come from rank 1 and 2 gifts (which you can buy from the vendor).
Not to put too fine a point on it, but it doesn't, clearly. Please give me credit for having tested EVERY SINGLE AVAILABLE GIFT at the fleet vendor at an early stage (circa level 10). This has happened twice in a row now, and once with Treek rather later in the game, which isn't a pure test because I started after being at a relatively high level. And, as we all should know by now, affection points reduce for a given gift the higher the affection level is. So a given gift could give you a high level of 250 at affection level 8000, but only 100 or so at affection level 9500.

With how the story works, Qyzen-Fess is the ONLY companion available at level 10 for the Jedi Counselor, and the second one available for the Trooper, as she shows up fairly early in the game just behind Aric Jorgan.

SO, both with Elara Dorne and with Qyzen-fess, there are ZERO GIFTS that give any affection level higher than SMALL on the fleet vendor or on the capital planet, which result in 21 companion gifts giving you, if you are lucky, about 1,000 points of affection. As per the OP, buying 21 gifts at 200 credits for a total cost of 4200 credits would net you a MAXIMUM of 1,114 points of affection if you used the highest affection gift available. NOT 2,000.

Of the 10 Tier 1 ($200 credits) gifts available, FIVE give a "SMALL" affection level. ONE does 54 points; the four others do 29 points. Of the ten Tier 2 ($600) gifts available, FIVE give "SMALL" affection level. ONE does 59 points; the other four do 29 points. There are ZERO gifts in either Tier 1 or Tier 2 that give "MODERATE" or "HIGH" levels of affection. I bought one of each and tested them out.

It is completely impossible to achieve an affection level of 6,000 with these companions and gifts as stated by the OP. Period.

georgemattson
03.01.2015 , 05:11 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by MSchuyler View Post
Not to put too fine a point on it, but it doesn't, clearly. Please give me credit for having tested EVERY SINGLE AVAILABLE GIFT at the fleet vendor at an early stage (circa level 10). This has happened twice in a row now, and once with Treek rather later in the game, which isn't a pure test because I started after being at a relatively high level. And, as we all should know by now, affection points reduce for a given gift the higher the affection level is. So a given gift could give you a high level of 250 at affection level 8000, but only 100 or so at affection level 9500.
Who specifically have you seen it not work with? I'm curious.

I'd also point out that "small" still works. You definitely get to a point of greatly diminishing returns (I was eventually giving gifts for 600 cr that gave me 11 affection), but I've never seen it not work.
...and I'm back. For the third time. Maybe the fourth. I've lost count. Leveling yet another Sentinel/Maruader, and I'll likely figure out what I'm doing in about a month or so, right before I quit again. Not sure if I'm subscribing again.

MSchuyler
03.01.2015 , 05:15 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by georgemattson View Post
Who specifically have you seen it not work with? I'm curious.

I'd also point out that "small" still works. You definitely get to a point of greatly diminishing returns (I was eventually giving gifts for 600 cr that gave me 11 affection), but I've never seen it not work.
Answered above. I never said "small " "didn't work" in terms of giving you some points. That's not really the issue here, nor is the ability to gather gifts and give them to your companion rather than put them on the GTN.

georgemattson
03.01.2015 , 05:21 PM | #35
I'm guessing you and I likely agree, then, but that I'm focusing on "I have to conclude that OP's original method no longer works as advertised" and you're focusing on "I have to conclude that OP's original method no longer works as advertised."

MSchuyler
03.01.2015 , 07:30 PM | #36
OK. If you want to play it that way. The reason I originally liked OP's method was that you got a whopping 6000 affection for an expenditure of a bit over 37,000 credits. On a cost-per-point of affection, this was a very good deal, indeed. And when the method worked with Kalio, bless her sociopathic little heart, I was delighted. After all, the OP said he was doing this to "help raise that affection in the cheapest manner possible."

I do realize the guide was written in late 2012 and is dated. A lot has happened since then.

EoDx
10.23.2015 , 07:48 AM | #37
Is this "quick and dirty" guide still valid for The Fallen Empire? On first sight, it seems to be valid.

EDIT: Seems like http://dulfy.net/2015/10/21/swtor-fa...luences-guide/ describes it in detail.

DocDAM
10.23.2015 , 06:44 PM | #38
OK, looks like you found the Dulfy link. That's a great resource.

As to the od guide ... the same basic principle, probably holds, but a lot changed with 4.0. I'm just in the process of discovering it now. What I've found:

Yes, Rank 1 gifts are still a more cost-effective way than Rank 2 (or higher), probably right up to where you can't use them anymore. But it takes more, and more time to do so with Rank 1's.

Note that the falloff in effectiveness is much slower than before, so you can use Rank 1 gifts all the way through Rank 40 Influence! But again, it will get slooow.

I got a ton (well 7000+, yes seven THOUSAND) from Esseles and Black Talon runs with the respective starter companion on L60 toons. So you can rank up fast through the low levels now. But I don't know if that is scaling with my level or previous rank. Will have to try it on a L10 toon soon. Heroics also gave a decent chunk.

So, it seems like they've made it easier to get a lot of affection, err, influence. But now it maxes at 250K (), so it would pretty much have to.
My Refer a Friend link here. [Rules and Rewards]