Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is healing a bit underwhelming?

LeDogg
12.14.2019 , 05:59 PM | #1
Some MM FP's seem to be alot harder now than they used to be expansion or 2 ago.
Im almost 306 ilvl now with my sorcerer and it feels way tougher now. Feeling huge tax on force pool and not seeing much HPS coming from the cost of spent force.
I recently experienced that the hard way with Lost Island last boss on last phase. This aoe the boss does is supposed to be soft enrage yes but, I remember being able to keep group alive like twice as long as now. You have to literally kill the boss with some 20-30 seconds at this point or the damage becomes unhealable.

Im not sure if its only healing issue but to me it also looks like dps has suffered quite a bit. I dont remember hitting that many enrage timers on various bosses before when all people are max (or close to max) geared.
With all the new changes it feels like some content is way over tuned or classes are under performing.
(Sith code): - Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion i gain strenght. Through strenght i gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken, the force shall free me.
(Bounty Hunter code): - Shoot first. Ask questions later!

JediAkemi
12.14.2019 , 07:52 PM | #2
Might be the changes to set bonuses, along with various other things.

LD_Little_Dragon
12.15.2019 , 12:19 AM | #3
In just 306 gear you'll be doing worse numbers in legacy content than you did in 248 gear in 5.0.

With the right setbonus/tacticals/amplifiers you should be able to get better numbers than in 5.0. This means dps are fine, and really shouldn't be hitting engrage timers.

The problem is that for healers (and tanks), you'll find that everything is hitting harder. Overall damage taken is increased for everyone. That's tanks, dps, and healers.

Simply put: stuff hits harder.
Stealthy heals, stealthy dps, stealthy tank.

Gyronamics
12.15.2019 , 02:38 AM | #4
Health pools were increased by a large amount

Healing was not increased as much

Heals of all kinds in 6.0 heal for a smaller % of a healthbar.
Hotwired

Niman, Tomb of Freedon Nadd, The Red Eclipse, Darth Malgus

2011 - The Immortals, The Lumberjacks, Nano, Not Good Enough, Disciples of Babylon, Salt Miners - 2018

LeDogg
12.15.2019 , 03:20 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Gyronamics View Post
Health pools were increased by a large amount

Healing was not increased as much

Heals of all kinds in 6.0 heal for a smaller % of a healthbar.
So in an essence things are out of whack. For a sorcerer healer i dont see all that great tacticals out there either.
Im currently using the one that increases aoe healing for every player getting the aoe heal but, the increase is so tiny that im thinking its worthless.
(Sith code): - Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion i gain strenght. Through strenght i gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken, the force shall free me.

Gyronamics
12.15.2019 , 06:06 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by LeDogg View Post
So in an essence things are out of whack.
No. This is deliberate. 5.0 was where healing was out of whack.

There are now more scenarios where a healer cannot keep the targets up and less times where the size of the heals can cover for bad play.

Examples would be, less opportunities to solo heal operations where you ought to have 2 healers and less low death stalling in all pvp modes.
Hotwired

Niman, Tomb of Freedon Nadd, The Red Eclipse, Darth Malgus

2011 - The Immortals, The Lumberjacks, Nano, Not Good Enough, Disciples of Babylon, Salt Miners - 2018

Ahwassa
12.15.2019 , 07:06 AM | #7
5.0 was where healing was out of whack.
I agree that decreased healing in pve is fine in 6.0.

BUT the dps got increased - itīs great for pve because bosses die faster.
Itīs bad for pvp because heals and tanks are not needed/wanted there.

If you feel that your healing is too weak - switch to merc heal. For some reason he has the best single target and aoe heal now. And good defs too.

LeDogg
12.15.2019 , 07:56 AM | #8
No. This is deliberate. 5.0 was where healing was out of whack.

There are now more scenarios where a healer cannot keep the targets up and less times where the size of the heals can cover for bad play.

Examples would be, less opportunities to solo heal operations where you ought to have 2 healers and less low death stalling in all pvp modes.
Well, i havent got around ops yet in this exp. but 4 man MM FP's still seem to be out of balance.
Some FP's are very easy while some others are near impossible to complete (when it comes to pugs atleast) yet rewards are same. There are few bosses that have around 5 min enrage timer and most often i find dps are unable to kill it that fast. When it comes to healing....on some FP's normal mob can do more dmg with 1 shot than i can heal with my big heal (dark infusion).
In the end the whole group content feels like out of whack. Some things are just way too easy and some are near impossible. I think they really havent checked all the numbers when it comes to that.

JediQuaker
12.15.2019 , 08:25 AM | #9
Because things are (or at least, seem) harder these days, I think it's also a bit necessary for the DPS to perform a bit better, at times. That is, because so many FPs, even in MM, used to be so easy, we DPS have gotten sort of accustomed to just bulldozing our way through.
But it's time for DPS'ers to get more used to using defensive skills and damage mitigation (and interrupts) to help with the overall team survivability. No more standing in stupid and blasting away. 😥

Also, it seems to have gone back to the old ways of being more strategic about who to kill first. For example, it seems to be important (again) to kill the enemy medics early.
Hold water, a sieve may not, but hold another sieve, it will - Yoda..

Referral code - http://www.swtor.com/r/dZ8wSV

DawnAskham
12.15.2019 , 09:13 AM | #10
The dirty little secret is this is what happens when you take a bunch of content that has been created over the years and under different combat design directions and scale it all to the same level without doing fine tuning.

You end up with encounters where the average is in line with current combat dsign, but like all averages, few individual encounters actually play at the average, and instead are under-tuned or over-tuned relative to current combat design.

Don't expect this to change any time soon as Bioware / EA is not willing to provide the resources required to actually provide a polished product.

Quote: Originally Posted by JediQuaker View Post
Because things are (or at least, seem) harder these days, I think it's also a bit necessary for the DPS to perform a bit better, at times. That is, because so many FPs, even in MM, used to be so easy, we DPS have gotten sort of accustomed to just bulldozing our way through.
But it's time for DPS'ers to get more used to using defensive skills and damage mitigation (and interrupts) to help with the overall team survivability. No more standing in stupid and blasting away. 😥

Also, it seems to have gone back to the old ways of being more strategic about who to kill first. For example, it seems to be important (again) to kill the enemy medics early.
Many of the scaling changes appear intended to return combat to something more closely resembling the original design where the elite / champ doesn't really hurt all that much, but has a lot of HP and takes a while to die, while the low HP weak ranged mob over to the side that dies in two hits can snipe half your HP bar in one shot if left alone.

Also many players are used to playing content with 252 / 258 gear when it was originally designed to be cleared in leveling / 228 gear and / or not much more, so playing content at this point with base / starting expansion gear is not going to be the same as playing content with overpowered late expansion gear.