Are there any plans for PvP-damage nerfs in the near'ish future?

Wheem

Because it's pretty ridiculous right now. I'm sick and tired of mediocre players being able to faceroll over me (as a healer) so quickly. Many of these people display absolutely no concept of ability-timing, but they're still able to get the kill through mindless button mashing.

I had one particularly ridiculous incident in Huttball a week or so ago; my team was awful (par for the course, but I can deal with it) so I was more or less farting around waiting for the Imperials to get the last couple scores to finish the game up. I got attacked by a single Sith Assassin, and decided to go ahead and duel it out.

The fight basically consisted of panic-mode self healing from start to finish, and the only reason I didn't die was the game ending with his team's final score (I was at about 10% hp with no cooldowns, no consumables, etc...) And when I say panic-mode healing, I really do mean panic-mode; the only offensive ability I was able to spare a global cooldown for was Blaster Whip, and that was only because of the Upper-Hand proc. I pulled out all the stops...Dirty Kick every 30 seconds on the mark (unless he had resolve), Vanish -> Tranquilize when his CC break was on cooldown, faked out some interrupts, used a Warzone heal consumable, and even grabbed the speed boots to escape for a while and heal up - none of which would have been enough for me to actually stand the slightest chance of killing him.

It should be quite difficult and time consuming for a lone dps player to kill a healer, otherwise there's no real point to playing a healer in PvP (if I can do nothing but heal myself until he kills me and immediately attacks someone else, why not respec and have a chance to 1v1 him down before helping out my teammates?) Killing a competent healer in good gear should require some modicum of playing ability, timing, and/or teamwork; currently all you need is semi-random button mashing and either an unbroken stun or a crit string (excepting those cases of multiple, guarded healers).

Assuming there's no hint of upcoming nerfs to PvP damage output, I'll likely be canceling my account in the near future. I don't like being the, "Do it my way or I quit!!" guy, but current level 50 PvP is just not fun. At all. When I'm against a lot of really bad players then sure, I can survive for the entire game. But if the opposing team has one guy in good gear that could maintain >= 1650 Arena rating in WoW (which, for those people that never played WoW, required little more than a pulse and an active subscription), it becomes a game of, HP spike -> LOS and/or fake out an interrupt -> Heal -> Repeat until he gets a crit string and I die.

go play D3 or GW2...this game is totally dead for healers. GZ made moronic decisions 5 weeks ago and they havent backed down, still going gunz blazing with their FPshooter....lol..

But in all fairness, its a good question. YO! BW!: have you seen the healer hate lately? can you let us know if this is the status quo or are you going to fix this debacle (and hopefully fire GZ, the moron)?

Edited by Bluetickone

go play D3 or GW2...this game is totally dead for healers. GZ made moronic decisions 5 weeks ago and they havent backed down, still going gunz blazing with their FPshooter....lol..

But in all fairness, its a good question. YO! BW!: have you seen the healer hate lately? can you let us know if this is the status quo or are you going to fix this debacle (and hopefully fire GZ, the moron)?

Why would a healer go play D3? There are no healers in D3. Why would anyone that wants to PvP play D3? Why are so many people misinformed?

Why would a healer go play D3? There are no healers in D3. Why would anyone that wants to PvP play D3? Why are so many people misinformed?

I am looking forward to the fact the GW2 will have no "healers". One can easily figure out that removing the full-spec healers from the PvP conversation would make it immediately easier to balance.

SW cannot do that, however. So, we will see what they come up with over the next couple of months to try to retain the PvP playerbase that remains.

I am looking forward to the fact the GW2 will have no "healers". One can easily figure out that removing the full-spec healers from the PvP conversation would make it immediately easier to balance.

SW cannot do that, however. So, we will see what they come up with over the next couple of months to try to retain the PvP playerbase that remains.

Right, there aren't healers. However, there are supporters who buff you and debuff enemies. I had tons of fun playing a Guardian, standing in the front, buffing my mates with Protection (-33% damage taken), reflecting projectiles, blocking projectiles and switching super healing mode every 3 mins. (Yes, every 3 min you're a healer as guardian).

Right, there aren't healers. However, there are supporters who buff you and debuff enemies. I had tons of fun playing a Guardian, standing in the front, buffing my mates with Protection (-33% damage taken), reflecting projectiles, blocking projectiles and switching super healing mode every 3 mins. (Yes, every 3 min you're a healer as guardian).

I know what you mean. My point was that having every class with a limited healing toolset allows the developers to more accurately balance the game.

Full-healers are a catch-22 because the developers cannot plan for how many will be in a match. That is why we ended up where we are right now in SW. Healing was probably too strong, so BW nerfed healing and coupled with other changes ended up making dps a little too strong. There is no way to know if 1-2-3 or 4 healers will be in a WZ, so how can you balance healing?

Pre 1.2, having 3 healers in one spot meant that you really couldn't kill anyone. Now, people die with 3-4 healers in one spot if the dps are decent. It is an impossible balancing act.

This does NOT mean GW2 will be balanced in PvP. It does mean, however, that the game will be much easier TO balance.

The only way I could go to GW2 is if the open world PvP was good. The free monthly subscription is very enticing. I'm not impressed with the beta game play I have seen thus far.

The only way I could go to GW2 is if the open world PvP was good. The free monthly subscription is very enticing. I'm not impressed with the beta game play I have seen thus far.

I am going to play for both facets of the PvP game. After playing WoW and SW PvP with dedicated healers, I have grown tired of the horrible balancing it causes in the games.

(Coming from a dedicated healer)

I know what you mean. My point was that having every class with a limited healing toolset allows the developers to more accurately balance the game.

Full-healers are a catch-22 because the developers cannot plan for how many will be in a match. That is why we ended up where we are right now in SW. Healing was probably too strong, so BW nerfed healing and coupled with other changes ended up making dps a little too strong. There is no way to know if 1-2-3 or 4 healers will be in a WZ, so how can you balance healing?

Pre 1.2, having 3 healers in one spot meant that you really couldn't kill anyone. Now, people die with 3-4 healers in one spot if the dps are decent. It is an impossible balancing act.

This does NOT mean GW2 will be balanced in PvP. It does mean, however, that the game will be much easier TO balance.

naw pretty sure 3 healers is still the magic number for warzones. Do you just pug all day and pretend to know everything?

naw pretty sure 3 healers is still the magic number for warzones. Do you just pug all day and pretend to know everything?

I never argued what was the correct number of healers were for WZ. I merely stated, which is true, that decent dps cut through people like butter with 3-4 healers on them.

Assuming SW had no dedicated healers for PvP, it would be feasible to reduce the damage that abilities without fear of healers being too powerful.

Reading comprehension!

Edit: Just to point out, you didn't refute my point about healers being difficult to balance in PvP. You just said that I "pretend to know everything" after I provided sound reasoning for why healers are difficult to balance in PvP.

Edited by AltruisticRage

They haven't had a real pvp patch yet, so hopefully in the near future one will come.

The kid probably what trinketed your dirty kick when you were at 90%? Interrupted dianostic scan? outplayed

Edited by Parali

D3 has no pvp

GW2 has no healers

Healers in ToR are fine...at least mercs. I am not gonna say I wouldn't like a buff...who wouldnt, but we do just fine in warzones.

Yes it used to be 3 healers would be very hard to beat. Now if a team has 3 Marauders/Sents they are hard to beat.

Currently a team that has three healers is easy to beat. Put one melee on each Healer. This makes it impossible for that healer to do anything else other then try to stay alive. The rest just burn down the melee.

Healers are fine. The fact that you think that it's your role to facetank dps classes is a major indication that you do not understand how to play your class. You do not understand the idea of group play. You do not understand that a few points of dps aren't even going to change much.

Let's get something straight here. We have no way of knowing your relative power levels, so your anecdotal example is shaky at best. Even assuming you were equal strength, the absolute LAST thing you are expected to do as a healer is kill things, so why do you come here to complain that you can't do that? If you want to kill something, by all means, go respec dps like all the FOTM kids. But know that you will be contributing less to your team. You successfully absorbed a crapton of damage and neutralized the contribution from another player and didn't even die. If you were smart, you would have wandered near any member of your team, and infinitanked (yes, you call it panic mode) while another member of your team ate him for breakfast. And if your teammates were smart, they would have curbed his ability to damage you, making your tanking once again irrelevant (remember, you're a healer, not a tank). Your strength is not your abilities to absorb damage, it is to make others absorb damage. If healers could get that this is not WoW, the forums would be a better place.

Edited by Ahhmyface

Healers are fine.

I don't think that was ever the issue being adressed, but rather the burst capabillities of certain damage classes in conjunction with adrenal useage and relics. There understandably needs to be a noticeable increase in output for the duration of both the aforementioned buffs, but I think the question that was raised, or at the very least implied, was whether it, in it's current state with the changes made to expertise, is too much.

I, for one, would like to dispell this notion that questioning the damage output of x somehow advocates the inadequacy of z. This is not the case.

I could of course be mistaken, and have completely misinterpreted the OP.

I don't think that was ever the issue being adressed, but rather the burst capabillities of certain damage classes in conjunction with adrenal useage and relics. There understandably needs to be a noticeable increase in output for the duration of both the aforementioned buffs, but I think the question that was raised, or at the very least implied, was whether it, in it's current state with the changes made to expertise, is too much.

I, for one, would like to dispell this notion that questioning the damage output of x somehow advocates the inadequacy of z. This is not the case.

OP said he was a healer and will be quitting if it remains this hard to heal.

I was very disappointed in the beta and would love to get my money back for the prepurchase. That game would have to improve dramatically to be even close to as good as swtor. If swtor could eliminate the exploiters I wouldn't of even prepurchased. For me that is by far my biggest issue with pvp is the cheating.

go play D3 or GW2...this game is totally dead for healers.

?

I play a healer and do just fine, only bad healers cry and say absolute garbage on these forums.

D3? There is no healer in D3.

GW2? I almost choked on my lunch you comparing that game to SWTOR.

Edited by Caeliux

the burst capabilities with adrenal and relics was there pre 1.2 also.

And a healer left to sit and free cast on someone can still keep a person up with a few people on them just fine. Forever? Probably not but enough time to slow them down or for one of the DPS to be dropped by the other 1 person.

Healers are fine. The fact that you think that it's your role to facetank dps classes is a major indication that you do not understand how to play your class. You do not understand the idea of group play. You do not understand that a few points of dps aren't even going to change much.

Let's get something straight here. We have no way of knowing your relative power levels, so your anecdotal example is shaky at best. Even assuming you were equal strength, the absolute LAST thing you are expected to do as a healer is kill things, so why do you come here to complain that you can't do that? If you want to kill something, by all means, go respec dps like all the FOTM kids. But know that you will be contributing less to your team. You successfully absorbed a crapton of damage and neutralized the contribution from another player and didn't even die. If you were smart, you would have wandered near any member of your team, and infinitanked (yes, you call it panic mode) while another member of your team ate him for breakfast. And if your teammates were smart, they would have curbed his ability to damage you, making your tanking once again irrelevant (remember, you're a healer, not a tank). Your strength is not your abilities to absorb damage, it is to make others absorb damage. If healers could get that this is not WoW, the forums would be a better place.

"You're both taken out of the fight while that DPS is trying to kill you!" is a specious argument, and I touched on that in the OP. If I'm unable to kill the DPS, but he stands a very good chance of killing me (since I'm panic healing the entire time all it takes is an extra crit or a TINY amount of help from his team), then he has quite the advantage. As soon as I'm dead, I'm no longer neutralizing him, and he can jump into the fight straight away while I have to make my way back to the battle from spawn.

When forced to heal myself so heavily against only 1 dps player, I'm unable to do any noticeable amount of team healing; all I can manage is an occasional 1-stack HOT, which is as much for more UH procs to keep myself alive as anything, and perhaps hitting 1-3 other people with Kolto Cloud if they get close enough to me.

Killing a decent healer that isn't majorly out-geared should require either more than 1 dps player, or - at the very least - some modicum of playing ability on the part of the lone damage dealer. As someone else mentioned, players that trinket my stun when I'm still at 90% hp or constantly blow their interrupt on my Diagnostic Scan should be totally unable to kill me by themselves.

It's also untrue that I'd have been able to survive easier if I had someone on my team helping me, unless perhaps that person was a tank. In case you missed it in the OP, I relied on Flash Grenade and Vanish -> Tranquilize in order to stay alive as long as I did; any amount of damage whatsoever on the Assassin at those points would have meant my death (not to mention the fact that you can't Vanish -> Tranq at all if there's someone else there keeping the enemy player in combat).

And a healer left to sit and free cast on someone can still keep a person up with a few people on them just fine. Forever? Probably not but enough time to slow them down or for one of the DPS to be dropped by the other 1 person.

That's why you toss a stun, CC, knockback, pull, and/or interrupt at the healer. Killing speed has been quite fast since release, but it feels a bit worse now. A modest amount of healer-interference, along with knowing when to switch targets, makes killing virtually any class fairly trivial. Unless of course you're stuck in terrible PUGs most of the time, like I am. Still, facerolling over most people when I'm DPS spec'd is quite easy.

PvP damage is simply too high right now. It makes the game feel like a first person shooter where everyone has an aimbot.

Sounds like the OP made the #1 mistake of a healer and tried to "duel it out" instead of running to friends. Aside from that, it was an assassin... 'sins are a bit OP in attrition fights since they can do a lot of damage, have good defenses, and get self heals.

Get more expertise.