Is there an etiquette to open world PvP?

klham

Just wanted to put the question out there, since the notion of an unwritten open world PvP etiquette has cropped up before, more so now in light of the new PvP event on Ilum. I'm not making a judgment about the variety of approaches to PvP gameplay or making assumptions about the RL traits of people who approach their PvP gameplay as either carebears, gankers, etc. so this isn't intended as a troll thread.

By etiquette i mean, for example, that some players will not interfere in 1v1 duels, whereas others think it's fair game to jump in to ensure a win for a faction member or their class brethren etc. Some will never steal objectives while others will grab it right in front of you while you're fighting the elite mob for it. Some grouped-up players will ignore ungrouped members of the opposite faction, some stealth will not gank "underpowered" classes, some 50s will not touch lowbies whereas others will roll them once and then leave them be, while some wait for them to respawn and gank them repeatedly until they decide to respawn at a med centre. Some 50s will camp lowbie quest areas, whereas others specifically seek the challenge of targeting lowbies only in their faction "safe areas" (this can sometimes be hilarious as a lowbie too). Some players will only engage other players if they're within 2 or 3 levels of their own, and will ignore anyone lower than that (personally, that's my rule of thumb). Anyway, you get the idea.

So do you have an etiquette that you apply to your open world PvP gameplay?:tran_angel: Or do nice Jedi finish last? :rak_05:

Edited by klham

I switch my moods at times from minding my own business to being ready to attack. Sometimes it changes on a dime. I am always ready to attack if I think it will be hilarious. Like if I am stealthed on my assassin and I see someone waiting for a lift or an elevator or otherwise at the edge of a big drop, I can't help giving them a shove. Edited by Technohic

The only thing I choose not to participate in is killing lowbies as a level 50. That's just stupid. Anything else is good to go in my book. Although that doesn't stop others from lowbie hunting.

Occasionally I will respect a 1v1 and not interfere if it looks like a close and good fight.

The only thing I choose not to participate in is killing lowbies as a level 50. That's just stupid. Anything else is good to go in my book. Although that doesn't stop others from lowbie hunting.

Occasionally I will respect a 1v1 and not interfere if it looks like a close and good fight.

This is pretty much my philosophy. I won't kill lowbies if they don't attack me (although I do like to follow them around to make them nervous). The only time I interfere in a 1v1 is to kill the winner if it is someone I can kill. Or if it is a ffa zone, I will jump in and try to kill them both.

Other than that, if it's red, it's dead (it's redemption, cool story bro). Rules are for warzones, your own honor to strangers is whatever you feel like.

there is no honor in PvP.

"what's in there?"

"only what you bring with you."

"you keep what you kill."

"good. bad. I'm the guy with the gun."

"honor" and various tiers of pvp gear in the same pool are contradictory ideas.

"this wasn't part of the deal!"

"I'm altering the arrangement. Pray I don't alter it further."

so on and so forth. you get the idea....

spawn camping in open world pvp (generally only possible on pvp servers in most MMOs) is griefing and breaks the ill-defined rules of etiquette that most companies set forth.

killing opposing faction's questgiver NPCs is also considered a violation of the rules/griefing.

Etiquette varies, mine's more polished than most. If possible I say the "How do you do?"/Introduce emote while stealthed to a red before stabbing them in the back.

Not into ganking sub-50s, unless they're camping or ganking lower levels. In which case:

Root > Plant faction flag in their face > Kill > Several pet deployments optional.

Edited by Joesixxpack

I have been jumped by a sub 50. My companion killed them

I do like to pull up and park next to them when they are not paying attention just seems they move faster than I think possible when they realize you are there, but that wasn't the case that time. I mean, I didn't even know that sub-50 was there. lol

I have been jumped by a sub 50. My companion killed them

I do like to pull up and park next to them when they are not paying attention just seems they move faster than I think possible when they realize you are there, but that wasn't the case that time. I mean, I didn't even know that sub-50 was there. lol

I was paying people to duel my HK-51 once to test how well he did with some expertise....

Some people are so bad that they lost to him and he only had approx 600 expertise at the time. :D

And reverse ganking can be fun... I had 3 level 48 and 49's jump me once... I killed them over and over but they kept coming back. Because I didn't always have time to heal they actually killed me eventually. Safe to say we all had some fun with that one. I did.

Edited by UGLYMRJ

No lowbies,i do not initiate second and third figths unless i lose,if i win i move on if the other player wishes to seek me down for another shot fine but i never go back to the same person i just beat aside from circumstances like someone camping an area then all rules are off.

So far heres the etiquette Ive seen

You are in a pvp zone, you are aware of such

Said player is doing whatever, he gets jumped, sometimes by solo player, sometimes by a group

Some times he dies, comes back and tries to kill them. Most times, he gathers 1000 close guild friends, hunts that player, stomps them , skins them and then trash talks in chat as if it was a mighty triumph.

Other times he has no need of said friends as he's bought a single friend who is invincible, invisible, kills in one swipe and apparently is able to walk through rocks, ground and move vast distances without any real effort. The trash talk is usually included with the purchase of said friend as well. This purchased friend has a tendency to guide said player to a area known as week away, I understand Bioware provides free admittance to said area but has posted numerous statements saying they would rather you never visited.

Finally, the last piece of etiquette I can recommend for open world pvp is to use capital letters and nerd rage on about your death in general chat to any and all who have not put you on ignore. Ive created a special channel for these players, Ive called it QQ.

But in all seriousness, the real etiquette is...........just dont be a douchebag :)

I was paying people to duel my HK-51 once to test how well he did with some expertise....

Some people are so bad that they lost to him and he only had approx 600 expertise at the time. :D

And reverse ganking can be fun... I had 3 level 48 and 49's jump me once... I killed them over and over but they kept coming back. Because I didn't always have time to heal they actually killed me eventually. Safe to say we all had some fun with that one. I did.

Yeah, this guy was a marauder that got killed by Mako who was running med watch. :D