Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Celebrity deathmatch : Vaylin vs. Revan !

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Celebrity deathmatch : Vaylin vs. Revan !

gamephil
03.17.2018 , 11:40 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
She's supposed to be that powerful. We can never trust game mechanics, unless it's a matter of non force using characters trying to justify they're so powerful compared to force using ones
Edit: Yeah, that's fair, I should not have said the cut scenes are irrelevant. I still don't think that characters talking about a given power level should count, but only demonstrated power. Dialog can be lies or unreliable narrator, and in this game, I think even the codex can be suspect, though I don't think it should be. Based on demonstrated power, I think SOR Revan matches up pretty well to Vaylin, or even exceeds her. Based on dialog and codex entries, he certainly doesn't, but considering that the Outlander doesn't, either, and still won, I think it goes to Revan.

SithKoriandr
03.17.2018 , 01:24 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by gamephil View Post
Edit: Yeah, that's fair, I should not have said the cut scenes are irrelevant. I still don't think that characters talking about a given power level should count, but only demonstrated power. Dialog can be lies or unreliable narrator, and in this game, I think even the codex can be suspect, though I don't think it should be. Based on demonstrated power, I think SOR Revan matches up pretty well to Vaylin, or even exceeds her. Based on dialog and codex entries, he certainly doesn't, but considering that the Outlander doesn't, either, and still won, I think it goes to Revan.
I can't say I like it myself. Nothing worse that kicking the *** of the enemy, going untouched or practically untouched and then the cut scene goes "Oh look! You're overpowered and decimated!"
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Paulsutherland
03.17.2018 , 02:05 PM | #13
all the cool stuff that happens when its referenced by other people.

* Vaylin taking down all of Senya's Knights single handily
* Vaylin destroying six alliance patrols, four outposts and a sith convoy in a single hour.

So when she wants to focus, she could be deadly if not more so than Revan.

gamephil
03.17.2018 , 02:15 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Paulsutherland View Post
all the cool stuff that happens when its referenced by other people.

* Vaylin taking down all of Senya's Knights single handily
* Vaylin destroying six alliance patrols, four outposts and a sith convoy in a single hour.

So when she wants to focus, she could be deadly if not more so than Revan.
Yeah, I guess I was just saying that it would have meant more seeing that Vaylin rather than being told about her. Though I still don't think the defeat of Senya's Knights puts her above Revan, but that second one might.

FlameYOL
03.17.2018 , 06:46 PM | #15
I think Chapter VII KOTET Vaylin would've definitely lost to both versions of Revan, but after she breaks free? I think even Revan Reborn would have a tough time handling it, Vaylin's power was enough to put pause on The Emperor himself. The biggest issue is Revan has the tactical mind Vaylin doesn't so it's very possible he could have a force ritual or dueling techniques she would not be aware of and couldn't defend herself with just brute force so I think it depends if Vaylin would just try to overwhelm Revan with sheer force or if she'd make a smart use of her powers.
A man can have anything...If he's willing to sacrifice everything

bluehufsa
03.18.2018 , 08:05 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by FlameYOL View Post
I think Chapter VII KOTET Vaylin would've definitely lost to both versions of Revan, but after she breaks free? I think even Revan Reborn would have a tough time handling it, Vaylin's power was enough to put pause on The Emperor himself. The biggest issue is Revan has the tactical mind Vaylin doesn't so it's very possible he could have a force ritual or dueling techniques she would not be aware of and couldn't defend herself with just brute force so I think it depends if Vaylin would just try to overwhelm Revan with sheer force or if she'd make a smart use of her powers.
I think you might be right about the dueling techiques : in the FP, Revan uses just one lightsaber and switches fast from marauder skills to sorcerer then to jedi sage skills ( telekinetics) .
In SoR, Revan uses two lighsabers and again, some abilities from all sith/jedi classes plus grapple, plus pinning down everyone.
This means he actually mastered both sides of the force and studied more that one class, possibly all four.

Have you seen Vaylin doing something like that? Yes, she can too use abilities from more than one class aka telekinetics, lightning, force push and some basic juggernaut skills, but her combat technique is chaotic and sloppy. Why? Because she has no combat or mental training whatsoever, torture and electrocution on Nathema cannot be considered "training".

Mental training is mentioned twice by Lana Beniko, first on Ziost when she says the Emperor gave up on taking over her body because she prepared her defenses ( GO AWAY, LITTLE SITH ! )and second time on Zakuul, while force choking a knight aka " you knights were never taught to properly channel your anger".
Do we have any proof on Vaylin actually having any mental training? Nope. Her only advantage is her huge power, but even that power is not enough against an experienced warrior with a calculated mind and extensive training.
"Rainbow Demon - pick up your heart and run

Rainbow Demon - lives for his sword and his gun"

fishpeople
03.18.2018 , 07:39 PM | #17
If she can focus long enough without giving into her bloodlust, probably Vaylin.