How to Fix PVP: Create an ARENA

hategambit

-----------------

EDIT because people make some good points about team based skills and such, how many players will simply not be able to 1v1 because they are set up for support. This does not necessarily have to be 1v1, the lowest matches could be 2v2 or even 4v4... the main point about having an ARENA is a fair even fight that only involves killing the other players and not accomplishing some silly objective.

-----------------

This Arena should be outside of the warzone que, and in its own. Players should be able to que up for 1v1 fights at any time. Player should also be able to join tournaments that involve multiple matches within a 2? hour time period... obviously players needing to log off would cause problems here, but really its not a problem just go to an alternate player.. say the person who lost the last round against the one who disconnected.

Players should also be able to get in on group arena action, not just 1v1. 2v2, 4v4, etc... but make it so that teams are EVEN.

I can also envision a scenario where theres like 32 players in the pit and the shield walls separate the pit into 16 different regions, and as players defeat their opponents shield walls open up to their next opponent, so the final match would be all shield walls gone and the final 2 competitors going at it.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

PLEASE also allow people to spectate. There should be a balcony surrounding the pit with a permanent shield wall so players cannot interfere but can watch.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

>>>>>>>>>>>>

You know what would be AMAZING? Let us bet credits on the matches, with odds and everything.

<<<<<<<<<<<<

I don't even care about rewards, although there should be some included. If you simply have a ladder/ranking system separate from all other pvp where players can see their win-loss and what tournaments they have won and championships they have won etc... basic stat tracking and display... that is reward enough.

IF YOU MAKE PVP FUN YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO DISTRIBUTE REWARDS TO GET PEOPLE TO PLAY! FUN BALANCED PVP IS IT'S OWN REWARD!

I'm completely at a loss for why there isn't already a PVP arena in the game. All those videos you made about this class vs that class where you had your devs talk about their favorite class etc... and there is actually NO system set up to ensure that players can get in a 1v1 fair fight without interference from other players. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING SET UP FOR THIS. The only thing that comes close is a duel... and sure you could find duels against your own faction fairly easily, although no one really does duel... but finding a duel against someone on the opposite faction is NEXT TO IMPOSSIBLE unless you know them outside the game. I mean you can't even send them a message! and you have to be within a certain range...............COME ON.

why did you not provide even a single method of 1v1 fair fights without possibilty of interference?? THAT WOULD BE THE FIRST THING I MADE FOR PVP.

Edited by hategambit

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tanks and any team-based build would be useless. Anybody with healing (merc, commando, sorc, sage) would be the top people.

This game wasn't balanced for 1v1. No arena.

not a smart tank. my juggernaut wins most duels he gets in, no matter what class. hardest for him to kill is a sentinel/marauder.

healers do ruin it though because if they are smart and built right they can just heal all day and the fight never ends. just make it timed, and if time runs out and they are just healing and not trying to kill, they lose.

arena fights should be to the death, not to the boredom

This game wasn't balanced for 1v1. No arena.

what better way to gather data about the inbalance of classes than to have them go at it 1v1.

sure it might be unbalanced to start, but they can work on balancing it as it goes along.

to just give up on it because the current state of the game is not perfect, thats just quitter talk.

what better way to gather data about the inbalance of classes than to have them go at it 1v1.

sure it might be unbalanced to start, but they can work on balancing it as it goes along.

to just give up on it because the current state of the game is not perfect, thats just quitter talk.

lol. no.

are you like a blizzard employee trying to sabotage swtor??

you no like? dont join in on it. :)

a good pvp arena would keep me subscribed to this game for years.

current state of end game and pvp content is going to have me quit playing as soon as my current sub time is up.

And a bad pvp arena would make alot more quit.

Im not really for or against, but it is something that should be thougt on long and hard before being put in game, it is very hard to undo things once they are live.

no i hate blizzard and refuse to play any of their games.

i am sick of getting in a 1v1 fight on ilum with a player i have seen in warzones so often, and then either one side or the other gets help and it turns into a 4v1 gank fest.

what i want is some type of actually FAIR fight.

like you know 1v1 is fair. 2v2 is fair. 3v3 is fair. 4v4 is fair.

4v1 = NOT FAIR

An arena type wz could be fun.

but I wouldn't wont 1v1 or 3v3. Small scale pvp gets to boring, and it starts looking like a scripted match fest. Then you get comps of specific classes, and thats all u see face.

I would rather have them keep the 8v8 or make it 10v10 and have 3 new wz based off huttball.

The Hutt cartle can be the sponsering agency, and reward money, and weapons,mods(not gear) to the top teams.

this could be cross servered, for faster queue times, but shouldn't be the focus of obtaining pvp gear.

Edited by Yamok

And a bad pvp arena would make alot more quit.

Im not really for or against, but it is something that should be thougt on long and hard before being put in game, it is very hard to undo things once they are live.

i never understand this mentality.

you can choose not to participate. no one is forcing you.

just continue to play in the other warzones.

this mentality is the same as people who said they would not subscribe to the game because space combat is so bad... when the reality is they originally said they would not do space combat.

so the poor space combat that exists now is a BONUS and NO ONE is forced into it.

the arena would not FORCE you to play it, so why would its ADDITION make you quit?

lmao people cry so much.

"I DONT LIKE IT SO NO ONE SHOULD GET TO DO IT EVER CAUSE I SAID SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo!!!!!!!!"

1v1 arena is not really possible in the game, when there are classes with different roles. But I do vote for deathmatch WZs. Maybe those players who don't grasp the idea of objective based game would go to farm their precious medals, instead of spoiling the team's chances to win in current.

You can duel to get 1 v 1 fights.

Should be "How to Fix PVP: Fix OPEN WORLD PVP"

Instanced PvP gets way too stale after a while, but it is all any developers focus on.

Give us item loss on death, loot on death (Only for world PvP) and quit focusing on instanced PvP where the only incentive is getting new gear and not actually about the fight at all.

Instanced PvP gets way too stale after a while, but it is all any developers focus on.

Give us item loss on death, loot on death (Only for world PvP) and quit focusing on instanced PvP where the only incentive is getting new gear and not actually about the fight at all.

don't know about items, but valor lose or lvl lose I would support

i never understand this mentality.

you can choose not to participate. no one is forcing you.

just continue to play in the other warzones.

this mentality is the same as people who said they would not subscribe to the game because space combat is so bad... when the reality is they originally said they would not do space combat.

so the poor space combat that exists now is a BONUS and NO ONE is forced into it.

the arena would not FORCE you to play it, so why would its ADDITION make you quit?

lmao people cry so much.

"I DONT LIKE IT SO NO ONE SHOULD GET TO DO IT EVER CAUSE I SAID SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo!!!!!!!!"

That mentality comes from the fact that they have to balance the game in 1v1 fights for all classes against all other classes. This means that they will be walking on egg shells and each class will be similar to the others.

With space combat, they don't have to alter PvP or PvE stats to keep all classes in line with the content. This would not be the case with 1v1 duels.

Come to my server, join the imperials, and find a good merc healer. I have one in mind, name is Premoose.

You'll NEVER kill him. He's too good, and heals for WAY too much. Most any class that can't heal WILL NOT WIN. He'll keep healing and throwing in an instant once and a while, winning the fight slowly and painful.

Any good Merc, Commando healer can keep you sitting there for a long time. But wait, what happens if you face an Operative as a Non-stealth spotter? (IE: No Stealth Scan). He throws his biggest ranged attack, then vanishes. Little bit of damage, wins according to your "Most damage wins after time runs out".

Saying that won't happen will be like saying people can't buy weed when you ban it.

People look for the path of least resistance, and many do ANYTHING to win. Arenas allow this, and any kind of 1v1 gives one person a massive advantage if they can heal the other can't, or they can stealth and the other can't.

Arenas won't work. This game is balanced for larger fights, not smaller. 8v8 is pretty small anyhow, and I for one hope they will shoot for 12v12 or larger, not smaller.

i know its TLDNR but as i mentioned duels are not a good method.

please explain to me how i am going to duel someone of the opposing faction.

its nearly impossible, unless, like i said, you know them IRL. <- not acceptable.

That mentality comes from the fact that they have to balance the game in 1v1 fights for all classes against all other classes. This means that they will be walking on egg shells and each class will be similar to the others.

With space combat, they don't have to alter PvP or PvE stats to keep all classes in line with the content. This would not be the case with 1v1 duels.

you make a good point about balancing classes.

however if my class was unbalanced, and i felt like i was too underpowered to join in on the arena, does that necessitate that i must quit the game? because they added something that i dont like?

that is just a cry baby mentality.

now i agree balancing needs to occur. and i personally think 1v1 fights is the BEST way to gather the data on what is unbalanced and needs to be fixed.

You'll NEVER kill him. He's too good, and heals for WAY too much. Most any class that can't heal WILL NOT WIN. He'll keep healing and throwing in an instant once and a while, winning the fight slowly and painful.

easy fix: matches on a timer: no kill the tiebreaker goes to who did the most damage.

thus, people only interested in healing and not trying to kill would just lose.

problem solved.

see its better to come up with solutions to problems than to just say YOU CANT HAVE AN ARENA BECAUSE SOME CLASSES HEAL!