Developer Update: Heroic Space Missions

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However the thing that I find most confusing is that they are called "Heroic" missions. Since there is no mention of these being 2-4 person missions, wouldn't it be better to call them Hard Mode missions? (Or something in that fashion?)

I thought the same thing. The use of the term "heroic" in SWTOR indicates a quest that is designed for multiple players. If the new space missions are single player only then it doesn't seem to be consistent with the rest of the game. Other than that, I'm looking forward to trying out the new space missions when 1.6 rolls.

I had trouble making it through the first paragraph in the blog, so lets talk about the first sentance. Described is the appeal of open 3D space as seen in the in 2004's Jump to Lightspeed. Yet this game has no open 3D space. "The vastness of space" does not describe space that is a series of tubes. "Mostly unexplored" does not describe a minigame where every inch of the space you can go to is visited every time you play it. " yet teeming with life and possibilities." does not describe a mission in which every single enemy appears at the same moment every time according to the script.

Look at the paragraph below and think of space in TOR as it is now:

:rolleyes:

I thought the exact same thing...what a totally weird way to open. It's almost like they're mocking their own game?!

Here's a much better idea. Make a heroic ship mission a cross between FTL the game (

) and the Millennium Falcon scenes from Star Wars.

Make the piloting slow and steady so manning the guns isn't insanely hard but you have to dodge the odd asteroid or take the hit. Get a few people as crew, running about the ship, having to switch between using the guns, co-piloting for countermeasures and power management, putting out fires, repairing equipment or fighting off boarders with not enough crew to handle everything at once.

Now THAT would be both Star Wars and awesome.

Having tested these out on the PTR already I can assure you there is nothing heroic about these new missions. Rinse and repeat same as before only you take more dmg and need a couple more shots to kill things. The only reason I can see people doing these after they complete them once is so they can stock up on comms.

I am a fan of space combat and flight sims etc, but I cannot stand being locked into these set rail shooters. I stopped doing the space missions a very long time ago and these new heroics aren't going to get me interested in doing space again. I'll do my 1 run on each and then never again. Thank God Star Citizen alpha test starts at the end of next month because I can't wait to finally have a space combat game worth playing.

fail Bioware just Fail, REALLY!!

this space combat is just FAIL in SWTOR, at the release we thought that we are going to fly a ship but nope, the normal ship is just click +choose planet then get out, Space combat is more like 70-90 games, while we are in 21 century, freaking lame.

this is how a real space combat should look like

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/

How many time can you say fail in the course of two sentences? Evidently, this many. Anyway, they made no promises on space combat... free flight or otherwise. I have an idea, learn how to code and get a job with them, then you an really show 'em how it's done. Riiiiight...

I like the space mission. They're fun. I already got my sniper an imperial pilot helmet and chest. Takes a long time to grind out the commendations, so i'm happy we're getting new content. The reason a lot of people pick on space is because we all know what it COULD be. However, it was always advertised to be exactly what it is....a mini game rail shooter.

Just a few things that i'm reading that are somewhat unfair:

"This is the SSSP!!?!? Thanks Biofail!" - Really? No, it isn't and we all know it.

"You're wasting time/resources developing this!" - A free roaming space sim would have a dedicated team. This mini game can be easily expanded without taking resources from other aspects of the game. Relax.

"I hate this poor excuse for Star Fox, therefore, delete it from TOR!! grrrr rAgE!!" - Nobody is forcing anyone to play it. If its mere existence offends you, then you've got other problems I think.

I will admit that this PR "Heroic" garbage is a bit over the top. You got a fun mini game, Bioware, but don't try to spin it like you've created the best thing since JTL. It just makes for flame bait.

How many time can you say fail in the course of two sentences? Evidently, this many. Anyway, they made no promises on space combat... free flight or otherwise. I have an idea, learn how to code and get a job with them, then you an really show 'em how it's done. Riiiiight...

They've repeatedly tantalised with the SSSP (not for while now admittedly, though).

These new mission are fine as things go, but they just seem to be another level of "difficulty" of them, not "Heroic" which in the context of SWTOR suggests muliplayer/COOP play.

I'd like some more information on the rewards. From what has been seen on PST it is a few Black Hole coms. The talk of new rewards suggests there might be something new is that going to be new rewards that can be purchased from the black hole vendor or new rewards from completing the space mission?

From metrics has there been a great demand for end game space missions, are space missions greately demanded at level 50 and the people and has there been any effort to find out what these players really want. Do they really want even harder missions that they have to learn where all the asteroids/boxes and spawns are in order to complete.

Where does this leave the Super Secret 3D Space Project? Will rewards etc be usable when the new project comes in?

When will the devs wake up to the fact that Starfox was fine in 1993 but isnt remotely "awesome" in 2012, not even as a sub game.

Why on earth they didnt lift the space combat from something good like Star Wars:Battlefront instead is beyond me, the whole on rails thing means people definately do NOT "feel like they were taking part in the much larger Star Wars struggle".

As for being repeatable, who cares, you have just blown resources on an incredibly niche part of the game enjoyed by virtually no one because the whole on rails thing is boring and outdated.

as for

We’ll also be adding one of our favorite changes: a missile and torpedo counter that literally reflects how much ammunition you have remaining
Thats one of your favourite changes? It really doesnt bode well if thats all you can come up with.

Space on rails was a gigantic flop, it should have been binned in pre production, binned in beta and binned now.

So their big super secret space mission update was just another fail of trying to make us play Starfox.

I know there was an older game than Starfox that the TOR space reminded me of. I couldn't place my figure on it so powered up my old MAME. After Burner comes to mind but even one older than that but still looking.

Couldnt care less about your pathetic space system, but it really saddens and worries me to see any development effort put on this.

Guys you really should learn to admit failure, humans do fail, wise ones admit their failures and rectify them.

PS. Not to the person I quoted but: Really guys? Being angry over something being added that you don't play? Are you really such an entitled little brat that you want to complain about this? There are people who enjoy the space combat of TOR for what it is: Do you think those people are not entitled to at least an update on one of their enjoyed activites ONCE A YEAR? Because really.. not everyone plays only PVP or PVE endgame in this game.

But no, you guys prefer to be entitled little brats and just complain about something that you yourself don't even play.

You guys are like PVEers coming to the PVP forum and complaining about how PVP is bad, or vice versa. And I'm sure you dislike those people as well.

People like you crack me up that bring up anyone being Entitled. How long have you been playing this game? Do you not remember the huge poll of Bioware Devs asking for feedback about Space and getting a RESOUNDING " WE HATE THE RAILS, we want free roaming space"? Were you asleep during that? Bioware certainly was asleep when the majority of posts about the space game starting from B E T A talked about their distaste and non acceptance of the space missions.

Do you not realize that this is just one of the issues that forced this game to be where it is today? Bioware doesn't listen to the feedback on the forums. If you want more proof: Go to your class forums and check out "CLASS FEEDBACK" threads in them. Let me know how many changes have come from those. (( If you're too lazy, it has been 0 and no dev has responded within those threads about any of the feedback given)

It has nothing to do with being Entitled. It has everything to do with being -ignored- when it comes to WHAT WILL MAKE THE GAME BETTER.

Couldnt care less about your pathetic space system, but it really saddens and worries me to see any development effort put on this.

Guys you really should learn to admit failure, humans do fail, wise ones admit their failures and rectify them.

This, this and thrice this, if there was anything in the gaming world that needed a SWG "Smedleying" its the terrible space combat in swtor.

I know there was an older game than Starfox that the TOR space reminded me of. I couldn't place my figure on it so powered up my old MAME. After Burner comes to mind but even one older than that but still looking.

Aye, After Burner was great, in 1987. :)

SWTOR space is actually not massively dissimilar in playstyle to some parts of the orginal Star Wars arcade machine in fact.

Edited by Goretzu

We aren't pilots on this game we are train drivers, please stop wasting time and money on this roller coaster nonsense and please give us 3D space with PvP.

X-Wing which was made 20 YEARS AGO is 20 years ahead of your current design.

For instance, a number of our missions will perform better on lower-end machines.

Yes! This makes me very happy! I'd like to be able to actually complete some of the space missions, but my machine just can't handle some of them and I've always been unable to clear a few them thanks to all the lag that I typically experience!

Performance improvements always make me smile! :)

Space missions get a lot of hate on the forums but there's actually a surprising number of players who enjoy them, and play them often. Assuming no one likes something just because you don't is pretty short-sighted.

No, there isnt.

Its also monumentally short sighted to assume because you like some then other people do as well, you can use the player finder to search space to see exactly how many people are doing these missions and the number isnt surprising, its just infinitesimal.