Bioware please! Commando's with Blaster Rifles :)

SteppinRazor

I'd really like to be able to play as a Commando using a blaster rifle only without locked abilities! The big cannon is just not my style but I love the commando class! I know I can just roll a vanguard but having those healing abilities are nice. Is anyone else interested in this! Could we make this possible please?:) Edited by SteppinRazor

This might not be as easy as it appears. All white damage math is based of the base damage of the weapon. Assault cannons and sniper rifles have the highest base damage in the game while light sabers and pistols have the smallest. If you just throw an assault rifle in the mando you decrease the base damage and therefore after the math is applied you damage out put is significantly decreased. This is also why the mirror classes to the sniper and mando dual wield. The offhand damage increase the lost base damage of the main hand.

Then there is the fact that all the animations that are peticular to the assault canon would need to be recreated.

Oh and I do agree, I hate the assault canon but I’m sure it’s here to stay as this has been asked for all the time since launch.

• 3 weeks later...

Why dont they just give the option to use blaster rifles and have the damage scale? Everything else in this game scales.. honestly I dont play most classes like operative because the weapon choice is weird af.. a rifle for a rouge knife class???

Tl:DR/ scale the blaster rifles

• 2 weeks later...
Why dont they just give the option to use blaster rifles and have the damage scale?

It's more than just scaling damage, it's the fact that quite a few abilities would need entirely different animations, and it might be possible that skills that use specific weapons aren't even possible to code to change depending on the equipped weapon. So, for example, you could end up with a Commando who equipped a Blaster Rifle, but when s/he went to use, say, Hail of Bolts, s/he would squat down and fire a bunch of lasers from the crotch area, instead of the gun.

I'm sure some people would actually prefer that anyway, but it might cause trouble for most.

A counter option to that, though, would be to add some... I don't want to say 'replacement', let's go with 'alternate' abilities to the game for the Trooper-Commando/BH-Mercenary setting to balance out the assault cannon ability bottleneck. Okay, they would have to be something that could be easily given animations that would work for both a Mercenary's pistol and Commando's rifle, I admit, but I'm sure there are ideas that could work... a 'Ricochet Shot', for example, pistol, rifle, hits the targeted enemy for full damage and then richochets and hits the nearest enemy to the first (within four meters, say) for one-quarter of that. Edited by turbomagnus