Apex Predator

PhatMcMuffins

Well, the other DPS sets look (IMO) less attractive. The only set that looks interesting is The Notorious set, it gives power surge a 2nd charge, granting 10% AP for 6 secs - cant occur more than 1 once a minute. So, the Apex set looks good because everything else looks so bad. I am trying to get it myself, best way is to just buy it from that vendor that comes and goes. The Apex set uses vague terms like "more effective" which needs more clarification. People hide insecurities with obscurities.

Well, the other DPS sets look (IMO) less attractive. The only set that looks interesting is The Notorious set, it gives power surge a 2nd charge, granting 10% AP for 6 secs - cant occur more than 1 once a minute. So, the Apex set looks good because everything else looks so bad. I am trying to get it myself, best way is to just buy it from that vendor that comes and goes. The Apex set uses vague terms like "more effective" which needs more clarification. People hide insecurities with obscurities.

Obscurity means obscurity. The powertech tanking set which just says it grants a major shield for 3s happens to be a shield with a health value of around 1m.

No, Concentrated Fire is BiS for everything right now. It is actually very strong for both IO and Bodyguard. It allows IO to autocrit on mag shot and actually build supercharge at a decent rate. Tech medic set is pure trash and crit is crucial to healing so it's the only one you'll run for Bodyguard

For Arsenal, however, its average. You don't ever have an issue building supercharge so that part is meh. Autocrit rail shot is nice and so is the extra crit but nothing on arsenal actually hits very hard considering it is the "burst" spec.

This is why i ask about Apex Predator possibly making arsenal at least playable.

Also, this all comes from a ranked PVP perspective

Edited by PhatMcMuffins

• 2 weeks later...
I got it.

I've test APEX predator in both DPS spec, and it's really bad..

For Pve healing it "decent" but i did better with concentrated fire.

I've record two kill boss with it (there are star parse enabled so you can make your own opinion):

damn. thanks for the info

• 2 weeks later...
It appears to me that the Apex Predator set is not working correctly. At 5 stacks of Power Step the next Tracer/Rapid Scan is not benefiting from the crit buff before it gets removed. So ability activated > buff removed > rolls on a crit. But the crit roll should happen before the buff gets removed because the 4pc states it benefits the 'next'.

I myself have now tested this set in pvp and pve extensively. Concentrated fire is straight-up better then the set. And here's why

PVE

1. Having that increase crit is just a god send in dmg, especially if you are arsenal. Without going into the numbers i find my dps much much higher.

2. Managing your heat in apex predator was much easier I will admit but the dps trade off was simply not worth it as heat can still be managed well with a bit of effort.

3. Supercharge stacks coming back really fast is awesome for dps, especially in longer fights. You will be surprised how much it adds up.

PVP

1. Once again the crit increase from CF set. Amazing at bursting people

2. Auto crit rail shot when using supercharged gas, great melter. Hit someone for 70k with it. (stacking armor piercing)

3. The sustained benefit from apex predator once again does not outweigh the dmg potential for CF.

I myself have now tested this set in pvp and pve extensively. Concentrated fire is straight-up better then the set. And here's why

PVE

1. Having that increase crit is just a god send in dmg, especially if you are arsenal. Without going into the numbers i find my dps much much higher.

2. Managing your heat in apex predator was much easier I will admit but the dps trade off was simply not worth it as heat can still be managed well with a bit of effort.

3. Supercharge stacks coming back really fast is awesome for dps, especially in longer fights. You will be surprised how much it adds up.

PVP

2. Auto crit rail shot when using supercharged gas, great melter. Hit someone for 70k with it. (stacking armor piercing)

3. The sustained benefit from apex predator once again does not outweigh the dmg potential for CF.

I finally got my 6th piece of the Apex Predator set last night and reading this is very disappointing. I'll be testing it out this week but I'm not looking forward to it so much anymore. :(

Edited by Screaming_Ziva

I finally got my 6th piece of the Apex Predator set last night and reading this is very disappointing. I'll be testing it out this week but I'm not looking forward to it so much anymore. :(

Don't be too discouraged like it still is a fun set to play with. You can till pull solid numbers, unless you are pure min/maxing then yeah the auto crit and such is helpful. But yeah enjoy the set it was a pain to earn.

Try running 6 pieces of concentrated fire for the set bonus and 1 piece of the amplified set. The 7th piece is normally a throwaway, but the amplified will give you an extra 1% of armor penetration (or other one you desire if you are not arsenal) on top of the 2.5% for the armoring (3.5% total for that piece).

I'm disappointed with the set pieces in general. All 2-piece bonuses are boring stat bumps and you cannot mix any 4 or 6 piece sets to receive bonuses from different sets.

I think they should have made the generic sets have a 2 piece bonus that makes a small change to a base class ability, i.e. Energy shield cooldown reduced by 15 seconds, Hydraulic Override lasts an additional 2 seconds.

Sets that give stat increases in their 2/4/6 bonuses are extremely boring.

Since tacticals are just an extension of Utilities in item form, why not make sets do the same instead of just boost stats.

PVE

PVP

How much is tracer hitting for with all the stacks? That.s really what I'm curious about