Hutt Ball type maps pops 2 out of 3 maps constantly

TrixxieTriss

Dear Eric,

This has been complained about since the Vandin map was added in 5.10.

The amount of HB type maps that pop is ridiculous.

The problem has been pointed out in the pvp section in many threads now and we would like some communication between the dev team and the players.

People constantly leave if they pop one or don’t try at all because they are so sick of getting Hutt Ball type maps so much.

I personally loved Hutt Ball, but this is even too much for me. I’m now leaving most times it pops because I’m sick of them. Too much of a good thing can eventually make you come to hate it.

I believe the problem lyes in each map being counted on its own when the queue decides to pop a map.

The issue is there are now 3 Hutt Ball maps out of 9 possible maps. Which means there is a 3 in 9 chance or 1 in 3 chance you will get a Hutt Ball map. This is bad enough because that’s too much, but what makes it worse is it’s not coming out as 1 in 3, the pops more represent as 2 in 3 matches will be Hutt Ball.

Vandin Hutt Ball

Quesh Hutt Ball

Original Hutt Ball

Hypergates

Void Star

Nova Coast

Civil war

Yavin

Odessen Proving grounds

The solution to this has been discussed at length in the pvp section and its been suggested that you could count all Hutt Ball type maps as one. Then the chances of a Hutt Ball match become 1 in 7 matches.

It would work like this. When the queue chooses a HB type map out of the 7 for a pop, it then chooses from one of those 3 maps.

Eric, can you please give this feed back to the dev team and come back with an answer to our concerns about it popping so much.

Kind regards

Trixxie

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By that logic, it should be one in six, since Yavin and Civil war differ only in the amount of foliage and snow.

* Yavin/CW

* OHB/QHB/VHB

* Voidstar

* Odessen

* Novare

* Hypergates

I'm not saying that you're wrong, just that if you're going to collapse by underlying map type, it should be for all map types. And it's a good idea.

Edited by SteveTheCynic

Strange how everyone says this. I've experienced evenings where I've had no huttball pops at all. To me, it's not really a big issue. I mean, Civil War, Yavin and Novare Coast are basically the same WZs (except the latter has good capping mechanics and the two former have archaic systems taken from World of Warcraft). If we're going to group up all the HB maps under one category we should group up the capture point pvp under one category as well, like the above post already suggested.

Ancient Hypergare and Odessen are also capture point pvp but their design vary enough to warrant their own category. Perhaps something akin to "weird experimental designs". The only WZ that is unique is Voidstar, so if we were to bunch up these in categories we'd probably see more of that WZ (unless you'd put them with Ancient Hypergate and Odessen which, in my opinion, wouldn't be fair as Voidstar isn't really capture point pvp in that sense). Maybe that could serve as an incentive to make more maps akin to Voidstar, which I think would be pretty cool. I always liked the design of Voidstar. Instanced, adventurous pvp. Very fitting for the IP, but I digress. If we categorize HB we should categorize capture point as well.

Edited by Majspuffen

By that logic, it should be one in six, since Yavin and Civil war differ only in the amount of foliage and snow.

* Yavin/CW

* OHB/QHB/VHB

* Voidstar

* Odessen

* Novare

* Hypergates

I'm not saying that you're wrong, just that if you're going to collapse by underlying map type, it should be for all map types. And it's a good idea.

I’ve no problem with them doing that too.

I too love huttball matches, when they are actually played as huttball matches. It's my favorite kind of map.

But it was already often the case that most people on either team were never playing huttball. They were playing deathmatch, or 1v1. With adding in the Vandin HB map, this seems to have gotten even worse. And, similar to how Trixie describes, I've gotten so that after 1 or 2 matches of HB and then the next one pops, I leave right away, usually just logging out of the game. Because what happens is that the 1 or 2 I stayed in were completely unfun, since no one else was trying to actually play HB. You know, the kind of match where I sit in spawn after dying and watch as the ball sits in the middle and no one touches it. And then I just get disgusted with the whole game at that point.

So I would agree that it would be worth it to put all HB maps into a single lump when rolling the dice.

Personally, I feel that the other maps have just enough different mechanics that it doesn't bother me if they stay separate. But at the same time, I've seen another game that groups their PvP maps into "land grab", "flag games" and "deathmatch". Which is also kinda nice (and they let you pick a category to sign up for, you know, if you want - hint hint :D ). Maybe CW, NC, Yavin and OPG go under "land grab"; arenas are "deathmatch" (even though they aren't really), and the huttball maps are "flag games". I don't know where VS and AHG would go. Or, of course, come up with more star-wars-related categories.

Allowing players the option of either choosing the maps they participate in or at least allow them to pick choose maps they do not want to participate in would be great. For instance, allowing the player 3 maps they could choose to not be queued for.

When players get maps they do not like, they leave the map. It makes no sense to force a map on players when they simply are going to leave the map as soon as they enter it. This wastes their time as well as the time of players who decide to stay because now their team has less players and they have a higher chance of losing.

Just give people choices already! Being able to have some control over what maps a player plays would solve a ton of problems!

When players get maps they do not like, they leave the map. It makes no sense to force a map on players when they simply are going to leave the map as soon as they enter it. This wastes their time as well as the time of players who decide to stay because now their team has less players and they have a higher chance of losing.

Not only that, but any match making that was done by the queue, is ruined once people start leaving the match.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

If anybody's ever seen my posts on pvp huttball, you'd know I hate it. I leave every time now. Hit stronghold, and back to whatever i was doing before, wait about 15 minutes, and go back into queue. I don't want football with pvp. I love all the other maps.

My ideal solution would be to allow us to click off 1 or 2 maps, but I can at least get behind this solution too. Unfortunately, given the fact they can't seem to fix bugs in their game, I'm not holding my breath for any change here.

Edited by Zerileth

Yeah annoying...they've said they fixed that but I'd bet my last dime that Hutt is still set up to pop more frequently. The fact that there are even 3 of them makes it even worse... Edited by Khaleg

If anybody's ever seen my posts on pvp huttball, you'd know I hate it. I leave every time now. Hit stronghold, and back to whatever i was doing before, wait about 15 minutes, and go back into queue. I don't want football with pvp. I love all the other maps.

My ideal solution would be to allow us to click off 1 or 2 maps, but I can at least get behind this solution too. Unfortunately, given the fact they can't seem to fix bugs in their game, I'm not holding my breath for any change here.

Why do you wait 15mins? You are more likely to be put back into the same rotation you were in twitch that team. Just wait one minute ;)

Why do you wait 15mins? You are more likely to be put back into the same rotation you were in twitch that team. Just wait one minute ;)

Every time I've waited less, it puts me back in the same Huttball map. Once after 3 times, some guy yelled, "In or out, buddy!"

I felt bad after that. 10 or 15 minutes seems to work.

Every time I've waited less, it puts me back in the same Huttball map. Once after 3 times, some guy yelled, "In or out, buddy!"

I felt bad after that. 10 or 15 minutes seems to work.

Wow, I rarely have that problem anymore. It use to happen about 6 months ago as you describe, but I can’t remember the last time it put me back in the same match. Put me into another HB?? sure, but not the same one.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

The only thing I see (no matter which time of the day) is that sometimes the same wz's seem to pop 3-4 times in a row. This has happened to me with Voidstar, Alderaan, Novare Coast and Odessen so far.

Never been lucky enough to get this streak with Huttball.

Conclusion: All the other maps pop far too often, reduce them and increase the Huttball pops!

(or maybe my personal experience is not representative for the whole situation...)

Edited by HekaHeh

The only thing I see (no matter which time of the day) is that sometimes the same wz's seem to pop 3-4 times in a row. This has happened to me with Voidstar, Alderaan, Novare Coast and Odessen so far.

Conclusion: All the other maps pop far too often, reduce them and increase the Huttball pops!

(or maybe my personal experience is not representative for the whole situation...)

This is proof right here that we need to be able to choose our maps like we can choose our flashpoints. If we only choose 1 map, then we have to deal with the consequences with longer wait times.

For me, I'd only turn off all the HB maps. I don't think I'd have to wait too much longer than I do now.

If people want only Huttball, they should be matched with others that like it too.

I never had Voidstar pop 2 times in a row, let alone 4 times ever in 6+ years of PVP. Or any map for that matter... I have had 3-4 huttballs pop in a row though, it's the only map to do that from my years of experience.

I never had Voidstar pop 2 times in a row, let alone 4 times ever in 6+ years of PVP. Or any map for that matter... I have had 3-4 huttballs pop in a row though, it's the only map to do that from my years of experience.

Interesting. I've also been playing PVP basically since launch - tbf, I wasn't watching the pop-situation back then

(also, there were far less wzs to begin with).

As someone who really enjoys Huttball I would love to switch places with you - give me the hb pops, you can have my 4 (!) Odessen pop-row I had two days ago.

I don't know how the wz rng works, maybe something is wrong on BW's end - don't expect or ask for a fix, they'll only break the code.

Aaaaand choosing wzs - while seemingly a legit request - might ultimately dry out certain wz's (or you might end up playing with the same 15 players over and over again). I don't think this is the PvP experience I'd go for.

Edited by HekaHeh

Interesting. I've also been playing PVP basically since launch - tbf, I wasn't watching the pop-situation back then

(also, there were far less wzs to begin with).

As someone who really enjoys Huttball I would love to switch places with you - give me the hb pops, you can have my 4 (!) Odessen pop-row I had two days ago.

I don't know how the wz rng works, maybe something is wrong on BW's end - don't expect or ask for a fix, they'll only break the code.

Aaaaand choosing wzs - while seemingly a legit request - might ultimately dry out certain wz's (or you might end up playing with the same 15 players over and over again). I don't think this is the PvP experience I'd go for.

I understand the double and triple pops of maps of the years. Most long term players have seen it and we’ve complained about that to till they “mostly” fix it. But you are right, it still happens occasionally. Except I now find it more rare to pop the same 8 man WZs (not including HB), more than 2 times in a row.

Hutt Ball is different because it’s the type of map popping, not necessarily the individual maps. We’ve had quite a few threads in the pvp section discussing the Hutt Ball pops. The consensus is HB type maps pop way too often compared to other maps.

You may not get the same HM map three times in a row. But what you will get is a mix and you can end up playing 7 HB matches out of 10 pops.

IE, original HB, Quesh Ball, Vandin Ball, Vandin Ball (still pops the most), Quesh Ball, voidstar, original HB, Vandin Ball, nova coast, civil war.

That’s 7 huttball type maps out of 10 and you only had one pop twice in a row and that’s the problem. It’s not so much it popping the same map, it’s popping the same type of map.

Also my example isn’t rare, it happens to me and vast number of other people on a regular basis. If it’s not happening to you, then you are extremely lucky (unless you are a HB addict, then you would be unlucky lol).

You’re assessment about choosing maps is correct. Although being able to choose your own maps would have been great 7-4 years ago, now there just aren’t enough people playing anymore for that to work and we now have 9 maps. Can you imagine if the majority in the queue chose just 2 maps to play, the other maps would never pop and people who loved them would never get to play them.

Instead of me making this a really long post that would be slightly off topic, I’m going to start another thread with an idea and see what the devs think.

(It would also be good to hear feed back about the idea in the other thread)

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Maybe less people in the queue at your time?

No, I always queue at peak times on Darth Malgus. Even if I didn't, this wouldn't make any difference as long as there are enough people in queue to not get an arena instead, since all WZs are cross-faction and require the same amount of players.

This has pretty much been my experience. Huttball does not pop more often than any other WZ. It's just that the same WZ is popping again and again, sometimes up to four times in a row. I remember that this problem has been brought to their attention in the first year after launch, because it was actually a bug they patched into the game when they made some other changes to WZ queues. I can't recall when exactly it was patched in. Yet, even after a supposedly thorough investigation they were not able to verify it, so they chose to ignore it. It will never get fixed, like all the other bugs in this game.

Same thing for me, I must have run in the neighborhood of fifteen pvp matches yesterday and just about every time it was Huttball. I was actually shocked when it didn't pop. This needs to be addressed.

The problem is not Huttball. It's the queue as a whole. The same kind of endless streak happens with every WZ. I just entered my 6th Hypergate today, the 4th in a row. Ten games so far.

Just because you don't like Huttball, it doesn't pop more often than the others. But it can indeed pop four times in a row, like all the other WZs can.

Edited by DynamiCtagez

The problem is not Huttball. It's the queue as a whole. The same kind of endless streak happens with every WZ. I just entered my 6th Hypergate today, the 4th in a row. Ten games so far.

Just because you don't like Huttball, it doesn't pop more often than the others. But it can indeed pop four times in a row, like all the other WZs can.

That’s not entirely accurate about Hutt Ball because there is more than one Hutt Ball map. Which means even if the queue worked properly and didn’t give you the same map in a row, there would still be a 33% chance of getting another Hutt Ball. Where as you only have 11.% chance of getting another map.

The problem people are having isn’t that they are getting the same maps in a row (which I’ll admit is a problem), it’s that they can get Hutt Ball type maps constantly (even when they aren’t the same map).

My normal experience is I get 50-70% Hutt Ball type maps when I queue. Even if I leave at the start, I can end up in an entirely different Hutt Ball map (which happens more often than not).

I love Hutt Ball or use to. It was my favourite type of pvp before 5.0 and the increased dysnc and the extra Vandin map.

Now I’m being bombarded with too much Hutt Ball and I’ve started to hate it. I am now leaving all Vandin Maps and some Quesh Maps (due to dysnc). The only one I stay for is original Hutt Ball.

If we had 3 each of every map type, then the averages would be more balanced and we should theoretically get the same amount of Hutt Ball type maps as every other style. But while ever Hutt Ball has 3 maps, we will get an over representation of HB when we queue. And that is the core issue here.

Then if you add the queue problem you mentioned (seperate issue, but still a problem), you can literally play for many hours and never get any other map besides a Hutt Ball style map. You would not get 8-10 Hypergates matches in a row. But you can and do get 8-10 HB matches in a row.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Which means even if the queue worked properly and didn’t give you the same map in a row, there would still be a 33% chance of getting another Hutt Ball. Where as you only have 11.% chance of getting another map.

Using math to your advance? :D

If you state it that way, Huttball is at 33%, NOT getting Huttball is at 66%.

It means in the long run you're expected to see 1 out of 3 of your games to be Huttball.

You would not get 8-10 Hypergates matches in a row. But you can and do get 8-10 HB matches in a row.

My experience (and with Huttball I always count all three maps) is actually that it does not pop overly often. I begin to wonder if this is a server or time of day - specific phenomenon. I usually play 10-20 games in a row in the evening, and only if I'm very lucky I get 3-4 Huttball maps. (when I expect up to 6-7 games in average when playing 20 wzs).

Yesterday - 10 wzs (in order of pop):

1 Alderaan

3 Hypergates (in row)

1 Yavin

2 Novare (in row)

1 Odessen

1 Voidstar

1 Huttball

Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate your effort (and your suggestions in your other thread), but I have to object your statements because I simply don't see it happen on my end.

Edited by HekaHeh

Using math to your advance? :D

If you state it that way, Huttball is at 33%, NOT getting Huttball is at 66%.

It means in the long run you're expected to see 1 out of 3 of your games to be Huttball.

My experience (and with Huttball I always count all three maps) is actually that it does not pop overly often. I begin to wonder if this is a server oder time of day - specific phenomenon. I usually play 10-20 games in a row in the evening, and only if I'm very lucky I get 3-4 Huttball maps. (when I expect up to 6-7 games in average when playing 20 wzs).

Yesterday - 10 wzs (in order of pop):

1 Alderaan

3 Hypergates (in row)

1 Yavin

2 Novare (in row)

1 Odessen

1 Voidstar

1 Huttball

Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate your effort (and your suggestions in your other thread), but I have to object your statements because I simply don't see it happen on my end.

I guess it’s different for everyone. But there have been numerous threads and posts made in the pvp section that correlate more with my experience with Hutt Ball popping so much

It would be great if we could get a wider sample of people’s experiences since 5.10.

If my experiences turn out to be marginal, then I’d guess I’m just unluckly (no surprise there). But I think you might find that my experiences are more the norm than yours.

What I will do for the next week is keep a pvp diary for each session to see if something has recently changed (which is always possible). Then I’ll report back what I’ve experienced, Maybe you could do the same and we can compare.

And anyone else who wants to help would add another perspective as well.