Report from the ranked front lines, from a rookie

Banderal

So, I just finished my first "monumental" mission, and for those who might be on the fence about the reaction they'd get giving ranked a try, I thought I would report my experience.

I actually started the monumental crystal quest a bit late, because I didn't realize it wasn't just the normal ranked pvp weekly. I was about 1/2 way through the "50 point" weekly when I picked up the monumental. So, effectively, I did a 75 point monumental. :D

I'm in 248 gear, and an infil shadow (decpti-sin :D ). My current win/loss is 12 wins and 16 losses. My rank is currently 1076, with highest of 1132. So I'm hardly good at this. But I do follow plans. (Or make them, I get marked leader a LOT for some reason.) I'm getting better at using focus-target to "cc the healer", and to remember to use terrain to LOS and survive when focused myself. So I'm not going in with the idea that "I'm just here to get matts". I'm trying to win just as much as the next guy/girl.

With that attitude and skill level... overall, ranked was fine. I actually found, believe it or not, LESS toxicity in solo ranked than often happens in regs. No one screamed at me to get better gear. No one ranted at me to get out of ranked. A couple times I got told I should be doing more damage. Out of those two, one of them actually gave some tips on how to do that, and then the next round my DPS improved some!

For the most part, everyone is trying. There's quite a bit of planning in most games, with people willing to talk about "how do we change things up for round 2" after we lose round 1 (or for round 3 if we lose round 2). Every once in a while someone will complain that a lone survivor should "just /stuck it". Which I guess I get. I mean, I find some value in practicing to survive as long as possible, in prep for the next time I'm focused. But I can also see their point of "you are not going to 1v4 them, quit wasting our time". But even that complaint I've found to be relatively rare.

Overall, it's been a pretty positive experience. Just my experience, of course, but there you go.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in 4 of those games with you (on 2 different chars). I think you're the kind of newcomer that any veteran solo ranked player appreciates. You're good enough that you don't get globaled, you're not delusional about your own skill level, and you're clearly trying to win and improve. I don't find it surprising that your experience hasn't been very toxic.

The people that get the toxicity, sometimes deservedly, are the inverse of what I described above: they get globaled constantly, are delusional about their skill level, and they don't take any advice or try to get better.

Edited by JediMasterAlex

I'm on Star Forge, playing my Slippery When'Wet toon. I thought about going in with Candy, but she's a tank, and for my money, tanking in ranked matches is very difficult. I know from regs that I can do ok with the guard swapping and taunts and peels for people part, but I can't do damage at the same time. And I also know from regs that good tanks can. So I didn't feel I was really ready to do ranked justice on a tank.

And thanks for the encouragement JMAlex! Yeah, I specifically wrote in my original post about my gear level and actually trying. Even in regs it bothers me when people don't even try. I don't typically rage about it, because I'm just not a rage-type person (I'll log out instead). And for ranked, I mean, people should have some respect for the other folks that are there doing the same content. Even if I'm drawn to ranked because of the ossus rep and the gear grind (shudder), well, I'm still going to approach it something I should be doing "right".

So I kinda wanted that to come out in my report. Show some respect for the people who are there with you, and I think you can expect some respect back.

I'm on Star Forge, playing my Slippery When'Wet toon. I thought about going in with Candy, but she's a tank, and for my money, tanking in ranked matches is very difficult. I know from regs that I can do ok with the guard swapping and taunts and peels for people part, but I can't do damage at the same time. And I also know from regs that good tanks can. So I didn't feel I was really ready to do ranked justice on a tank.

And thanks for the encouragement JMAlex! Yeah, I specifically wrote in my original post about my gear level and actually trying. Even in regs it bothers me when people don't even try. I don't typically rage about it, because I'm just not a rage-type person (I'll log out instead). And for ranked, I mean, people should have some respect for the other folks that are there doing the same content. Even if I'm drawn to ranked because of the ossus rep and the gear grind (shudder), well, I'm still going to approach it something I should be doing "right".

So I kinda wanted that to come out in my report. Show some respect for the people who are there with you, and I think you can expect some respect back.

You sorta just have to dive in with the tank, and ignore whatever verbal abuse comes your way. If you already have experience from regs, then ranked is the only way forward. I suppose you could train with guild members, but it would not be the same by a mile.

You sorta just have to dive in with the tank, and ignore whatever verbal abuse comes your way. If you already have experience from regs, then ranked is the only way forward. I suppose you could train with guild members, but it would not be the same by a mile.

Plus Banderal, on a tank you'd have higher defense, a shield, better DCDs all to ward away the verbal abuse hurled at you. You'd be better equipped to handle any corrosion from the toxicity as a tank is what I am saying.

Honestly after grinding enough games to get my 258 weapons, I can say this about solo ranked:

I am fairly new to ranked ques, and these are the impressions of a noobie...

1) there are people who will say mean things... but honestly, I can’t blame them for it. I am definitely in a much lower skill level then they are, and it shows.

2) much to my surprise, there are a lot of nice players in solo ranked ques as well, players that are willing to teach new players. I learned a lot from these people, and it was very refreshing to know that there are players out there who will welcome a noobie into the ranked community!

3) I hope more people try out ranked solo, they might find it fun!

So, I just finished my first "monumental" mission, and for those who might be on the fence about the reaction they'd get giving ranked a try, I thought I would report my experience.

I actually started the monumental crystal quest a bit late, because I didn't realize it wasn't just the normal ranked pvp weekly. I was about 1/2 way through the "50 point" weekly when I picked up the monumental. So, effectively, I did a 75 point monumental. :D

I'm in 248 gear, and an infil shadow (decpti-sin :D ). My current win/loss is 12 wins and 16 losses. My rank is currently 1076, with highest of 1132. So I'm hardly good at this. But I do follow plans. (Or make them, I get marked leader a LOT for some reason.) I'm getting better at using focus-target to "cc the healer", and to remember to use terrain to LOS and survive when focused myself. So I'm not going in with the idea that "I'm just here to get matts". I'm trying to win just as much as the next guy/girl.

With that attitude and skill level... overall, ranked was fine. I actually found, believe it or not, LESS toxicity in solo ranked than often happens in regs. No one screamed at me to get better gear. No one ranted at me to get out of ranked. A couple times I got told I should be doing more damage. Out of those two, one of them actually gave some tips on how to do that, and then the next round my DPS improved some!

For the most part, everyone is trying. There's quite a bit of planning in most games, with people willing to talk about "how do we change things up for round 2" after we lose round 1 (or for round 3 if we lose round 2). Every once in a while someone will complain that a lone survivor should "just /stuck it". Which I guess I get. I mean, I find some value in practicing to survive as long as possible, in prep for the next time I'm focused. But I can also see their point of "you are not going to 1v4 them, quit wasting our time". But even that complaint I've found to be relatively rare.

Overall, it's been a pretty positive experience. Just my experience, of course, but there you go.

I’m having the same experience as you. A lot of people willing to help and discuss strats. This actually feels more like ranked when we had apac servers.

I decided to hop in the solo rank queue tonight and Im slightly impressed by the helpful people in the queue, but there are those select few that can ruin a night if you don't have thick skin. I was told many times that I wasn't playing right, that I chose a non-viable class, and that I need to quit the game several times.

The funny part is, after looking at the leaderboards and seeing their rating compared to mine, I'm happy to say I out rate most of those who complained.

Working my way to the top PT position. Hope I have more good nights like I did tonight!

I decided to hop in the solo rank queue tonight and Im slightly impressed by the helpful people in the queue, but there are those select few that can ruin a night if you don't have thick skin. I was told many times that I wasn't playing right, that I chose a non-viable class, and that I need to quit the game several times.

The funny part is, after looking at the leaderboards and seeing their rating compared to mine, I'm happy to say I out rate most of those who complained.

Working my way to the top PT position. Hope I have more good nights like I did tonight!

Keep sticking it out. You have to be a brave person to take a PT into ranked :D

SF is a good environment to start like this. If this would be on DM you would be surprised :D

Then we wouldn’t be playing ;) and the ranked community continues to shrink.

You guys on DM really are your own worst enemies if that’s the case.

You are ruining the main part of the game you like.

Not too mention DM seems to be the hub for Wintrading, other cheating, toxicity... etc...

2x weeklies done + couple extra matches.

• I learned a lot of new words and a lot of ways to express disappointment in another player - mostly directed from one team-mate to another. while me and the other player stood by.

• I even considered blowing 150M on mats to craft these weapons, or even 250M to buy one off the GTN rather than slog through another 6 weeklies ( since my mirror class can't use the same weapons)

• I learned that some people just go off and do their own thing while the others try to 3v4 get slaughtered then the last one remaining can flame the dead guys for the rest of the match for being such noobs and telling them to L2P and log off and kill themselves, and worse.

• I learned that whoever dies first on your team is immediately the worst player in the history of PVP and doesn't deserve to breathe, regardless of how it happened or how dumb the plan is and apparently they need reporting for cheating.

• That every match is a 2-0 win or loss, suggesting that equally matched teams is a bit of a myth.

• most importantly I also learned that I hated arenas even more than I thought.

• I learned a lot of new words and a lot of ways to express disappointment in another player - mostly directed from one team-mate to another. while me and the other player stood by.

• I even considered blowing 150M on mats to craft these weapons, or even 250M to buy one off the GTN rather than slog through another 6 weeklies ( since my mirror class can't use the same weapons)

• I learned that some people just go off and do their own thing while the others try to 3v4 get slaughtered then the last one remaining can flame the dead guys for the rest of the match for being such noobs and telling them to L2P and log off and kill themselves, and worse.

• I learned that whoever dies first on your team is immediately the worst player in the history of PVP and doesn't deserve to breathe, regardless of how it happened or how dumb the plan is and apparently they need reporting for cheating.

• That every match is a 2-0 win or loss, suggesting that equally matched teams is a bit of a myth.

What server are you on?

Then we wouldn’t be playing ;) and the ranked community continues to shrink.

You guys on DM really are your own worst enemies if that’s the case.

You are ruining the main part of the game you like.

Not too mention DM seems to be the hub for Wintrading, other cheating, toxicity... etc...

Its always about the people, but yes, most are on DM. However, the players play (and wintrade) on the French and German server too, since its easier there due to virtualy no pops. Quite a few of these people play on US servers too, since they use the time difference to make pops where only the specific 8 ppl are.

Wow. I feel for you. That is a horrible experience, and what I was expecting when I went in. Sorry that's what you got. :(

Its always about the people, but yes, most are on DM. However, the players play (and wintrade) on the French and German server too, since its easier there due to virtualy no pops. Quite a few of these people play on US servers too, since they use the time difference to make pops where only the specific 8 ppl are.

Your comment about virtually no pops... on one hand I suspected the weekly, and the ossus rep both encouraging people to dive into ranked matches, thus increase the ranked population... I thought that might have contributed to less toxicity. Just because "so many more people who are not the ranked elite" kind of thing.

But then on the other hand, I've been seeing a lot of the same people over and over in matches. Not *JUST* the same people, but there are definitely a lot of familiar names by now. So maybe there are not really all that many new people on SF either?

I don't know, but I'm kinda leaning towards, at this point, that SF people are just nicer than everyone else. :p

Your comment about virtually no pops... on one hand I suspected the weekly, and the ossus rep both encouraging people to dive into ranked matches, thus increase the ranked population... I thought that might have contributed to less toxicity. Just because "so many more people who are not the ranked elite" kind of thing.

But then on the other hand, I've been seeing a lot of the same people over and over in matches. Not *JUST* the same people, but there are definitely a lot of familiar names by now. So maybe there are not really all that many new people on SF either?

I don't know, but I'm kinda leaning towards, at this point, that SF people are just nicer than everyone else. :p

On darth malgus it's the same.. The Pre season que was very very different than the actual one. In pre season a lot of new people qued, the games were varied and matchmaking was almost perfect as no rating was taken into consideration when making two teams.

Since season has gone live the same people are in que all the time. More or less... which is problematic if you are average or bad or a newcomer to ranked. The chances of you climbing are there, but very slim as the more experienced players will just walk over you literally. But if you are willing to practice and learn to deal with negative experiences from queing, you will be top or close to it. If you let yourself influenced by what OTHERS think of you, you are already doomed... play regs instead.

Or you can do what a sniper from my guild did. He was non stop focused... globaled and kept queing regardless until he became so good at defending and kiting that he actually got gold in the end. ;)

Edited by DavidAtkinson

Or you can do what a sniper from my guild did. He was non stop focused... globaled and kept queing regardless until he became so good at defending and kiting that he actually got gold in the end. ;)
Do I know this person by any chance?

Anyways, DM queue is really not so bad these days either, from what I have been seeing on stream, and from my own experience. I got a rage juggernaut in 230's qualify with 6-4, and main sniper is going 5-1 right now. I would have wanted to enjoy the queue more, but IRL responsibilities keep me from gaming. Apart from some Germans queue syncing on stream, I have not seen any wrongdoing.

Hopefully the Russian gang won't start throwing / botting the queue and we can keep enjoying it.

I got 14 matches done yesterday till the queue died off. I’ve not played proper ranked since we had our APAC servers closed.

5 losses

9 wins

All of them were good fun and I learnt a lot from a couple of people who wanted to talk strats before we started each round.

The experience was mostly pleasant, but I felt bad for the other team in two matches where someone kept /stuck as soon as someone on their team died. I watched them do it when we were at 4v3, which meant their team went to 4v2 straight away. I was so glad I didn’t get that person on my teams.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I got 14 matches done yesterday till the queue died off. I’ve not played proper ranked since we had our APAC servers closed.

5 losses

9 wins

All of them were good fun and I learnt a lot from a couple of people who wanted to talk strats before we started each round.

The experience was mostly pleasant, but I felt bad for the other team in two matches where someone kept /stuck as soon as someone on their team died. I watched them do it when we were at 4v3, which meant their team went to 4v2 straight away. I was so glad I didn’t get that person on my teams.

That does bug me to no end. I haven't seen it since the season actually started, but it was not unheard of during preseason. I get it that 3v4 is tough, but I have seen those 3 pull it off plenty of times now. Heck, I even pulled off a 1v1 against another sin in an early match. I mean, that's the same as a GOOD player pulling of a 1v3 I think. :D

What server are you on?

DM

But I'm playing an alt wearing legacy gear from my main, so only a couple of points under-geared. - and since the guild I was in with this character has long since died, leaving only me, there's a degree of anonymity in playing, so I can take the toxic comments on board without getting too bad a rep.

But TBH its some of the others that are getting flamed. I can see both points of view, since elite players don't want to be teamed up with noobs, and the noobs just want the weekly reward without doing the operation....

But there's no need to be so nasty about it. They'll be gone in 4-5 weeks when they've got their crystals... then everyone else can go about solo ranked until season's end. leaving the noobs to go back to regs where no-ne cares that much.

At the end of the day, solo is solo, its you and seven random strangers..... so anything might happen. I don't see people getting toxic and raging when the other team field three people and lose. ( or get horrible combinations of roles.) - handing you an easy win. - so you gotta take the rough with the smooth.

Ranked continues to be a lot of fun. Some really competitive matches. I only had a couple bad ones, one on our side where the person just stayed in spawn and then got kicked after round 1 started, and one where someone on the other side /stuck'd it after we won the first round. But otherwise everyone really was trying and helping.

I had a heart breaker of a game where it came down to me and a sin. He was at a SLIVER of health and I was chasing him around a pillar, and he got me with a lift and got away. Then we both healed, but he was just better than me. We ended the fight just as the acid came, with a loss for us (sorry guys!). I thought after the fact, maybe I should have used a grenade on him? Could I have gotten him with a grenade without getting line of site to him (which would have meant he wouldn't have gotten line of site on me either, and thus no lift on me)?

We had another match where I was really impressed... not by the play of my team, but because we had a merc on our side who was obviously very new. He pretty much got globalled in the first 2 rounds. Round 1 we managed to win anyway, but lost round 2. The other guys on my team, instead of ranting, gave him some instructions on how to use his cooldowns better to survive their opening focus - and round 3 he did great and we won it.

And now I've climbed back up to a 50/50 win/loss ratio. :D