Attention Ranked players with taunts:

SlimPikinz

If you are a ranked player on Jugg, Sin, or PT, please remember that your single target and AOE taunts reduce enemy damage.

If you are talking smack to your teammates after a loss with a big fat 0 in the Protection column, please don't tell me that I "suck at my class and to stop queueing."

This post serves 2 purposes:

1. To inform new PVE players getting their feet wet in Ranked that your taunts reduce enemy damage even if you are DPS spec.

2. To scold sassy better-than-everyone-else-and-it's-not-my-fault-we-lost players

That is all, move along.

If you are a ranked player on Jugg, Sin, or PT, please remember that your single target and AOE taunts reduce enemy damage.

If you are talking smack to your teammates after a loss with a big fat 0 in the Protection column, please don't tell me that I "suck at my class and to stop queueing."

This post serves 2 purposes:

1. To inform new PVE players getting their feet wet in Ranked that your taunts reduce enemy damage even if you are DPS spec.

2. To scold sassy better-than-everyone-else-and-it's-not-my-fault-we-lost players

That is all, move along.

But, if they use taunts that's valuable time where they could be using attack abilities!

DPS > all.

Melee chars have barely any channels and taunt is off-GCD :)

This is true. If you are between GCDs and in position, you can throw out a taunt.

But, if they use taunts that's valuable time where they could be using attack abilities!

DPS > all.

Just make sure it’s an AOE one if you are on a healer with enemy nearby because single taunts on a healer do nothing.

I know for many years I didn’t do it and it took a bit of a mental shift to change. I still think dps shouldn’t have them at all, but if they are going be in the game and others are using them, then I will use them as well to help my team because it’s a sure thing the other team is.

I’m not the best taunter and my protection numbers don’t come close to some people’s I see, but I do try my best to do it as much as possible. Every little bit helps.

I wish there was a little guide or training vid out there to show and explain the best ways and times to use taunts on a dps. It’s something I’m not great at doing and I could definitely use some help to get better at it. (nudges Snave and Co to include in train streams)

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Just make sure it’s an AOE one if you are on a healer with enemy nearby because single taunts on a healer do nothing.
If you're already on the healer, put into your focus target one threathening looking DPS and taunt on CD using your focus target modifier. Or on important casts like ambush.

If you're already on the healer, put into your focus target one threathening looking DPS and taunt on CD using your focus target modifier. Or on important casts like ambush.

I’ve tried that, but with my high lag, it doesn’t work so well (I already have some abilities not active because of it).

Melee chars have barely any channels and taunt is off-GCD :)

bah you guys are too good. That requires being able to line up your damage perfectly and intertwine the taunts in seamlessly. What about the guy that barely can stay on target with his DPS? Landing a taunt using focus target etc. is too complicated!

I wish there was a little guide or training vid out there to show and explain the best ways and times to use taunts on a dps.

The simplest is just to use single-target taunt on cooldown whenever there's an enemy who's attacking anyone but you. Mass taunts used on cooldown when you get into those big-ol deathmatches.

Guard is another issue, I hardly ever use guard on a dps spec due to it actually hurting you, but taunts have no downside. There is no reason NOT to use them.

I am just playing about taunts, I would say it's one of the more perplexing things people choose not to do in WZs when they have taunts available.

I always look at that stat at the end of matches too, just out of curiosity.

If I see a DPS that actually has a lot of protection numbers I feel like that player is a well-rounded complete player, far better than the DPS that has zero protection points who has taunts.

Plus, you get medals for the protection points! I mean, a real stat chaser would use taunts when possible so it's weird to see a skilled DPS player who doesn't use their taunts.

Plus, you get medals for the protection points! I mean, a real stat chaser would use taunts when possible so it's weird to see a skilled DPS player who doesn't use their taunts.

I don’t think it’s weird at all because no one ever cares about winning these days. It’s all about the almighty dps numbers.

You could come second in the dps and have a massive amount of protection, but that guy who came first will tell you he’s better and the team will mostly vote for him too.

In general, I think everyone should learn how to use focus target modifier to do such things as cc heals, taunt dps, etc.

It's a bit awkward at first to learn how to use it but I couldn't play ranked without it now.

Krea's video helped me. I dug it up in hopes other newer pvpers will watch it and implement it into their play.

PT's single target taunt reduces the targets movement speed by 30% for like 6 seconds. The Aoe increases defensive chances. You can spec in rebound which redirects an enemy players next big hit back at them.