Sniper is any good for ranked?

ShieldProtection

Hello, sorry if this sounds stupid, basically a noob question: sniper is any good for ranked pvp? 4v4? They seem always jump on me and its me who always dies first, %100 chance I'm doing something wrong, which disc is any good? I found that engineering is somewhat good for slowing down foes, I also use that %1 heal every second passive in ballistic shield ability with %3 passive as well, I need some advice in this part, using two stuns at start is good idea? to get rid of one of the attackers?

Any help is welcome

I do not play sniper or gunslinger so take what I am about to say with a grain of salt but...

It’s my own personal opinion that gunslingers and snipers are actually pretty good for 4v4 arenas.

And that their best spec is...

Seismic Grenades

Yes Snipers/Slingers are currently one of the OP (overpowered) classes. They are however quite difficult to play and even more difficult to master. In certain situations the sniper is target #1 mainly because of the fact that you need to kill him because he cant be allowed to freecast.

So if you are dying fast you must be doing it wrong.

I'll tell you what I think fighting against them... if you haven't already done so, abandon the idea that you are a stationary turret. The snipers that I have the most trouble with, to the point of shouting at my computer screen, are the ones that are moving, moving, moving, always moving. There is a spec (I think a spec, maybe a utility?) that gives them entrench for a short time after roll (or maybe it's just dropping into cover - not sure, just seems like they move and always have entrench come up for a few seconds after) - that combined with their roots and knockbacks, etc., makes them almost as hard to catch as operatives... I swear.

My 2 pennies worth.

[Edit: maybe I should clarify this a bit - by "moving" I don't mean they are running around all the time and are never in cover - they are always in cover, of course, but are doing quick moves and back into cover - roll, into cover, stand up for a second, back into cover, quick run, back into cover... etc.]

Edited by Banderal

Hello, sorry if this sounds stupid, basically a noob question: sniper is any good for ranked pvp? 4v4? They seem always jump on me and its me who always dies first, %100 chance I'm doing something wrong, which disc is any good? I found that engineering is somewhat good for slowing down foes, I also use that %1 heal every second passive in ballistic shield ability with %3 passive as well, I need some advice in this part, using two stuns at start is good idea? to get rid of one of the attackers?

Any help is welcome

Mercs, Maras and Snipers have been top 3 dps classes in SR for quite a while now. But snipers are probably the hardest class to master regardless of spec. Engineering used to be the best spec, but it got some nerfs a while back and Marksmanship has since risen in popularity.

The absolute key to surviving focus on a sniper is knowing when to move and when not to move. Some die in a blink of an eye, while others seems to survive forever. The best counter to a sniper is another sniper due to Diversion. If you play sniper yourself, and come up against 2 snipers, well, you better play defensively and hope your team can help you.

There is a spec (I think a spec, maybe a utility?) that gives them entrench for a short time after roll (or maybe it's just dropping into cover - not sure, just seems like they move and always have entrench come up for a few seconds after) - that combined with their roots and knockbacks, etc., makes them almost as hard to catch as operatives... I swear.

That's Sharpshooter/Marksman passive.

There's not much to add to the posts above, snipers shine in ranked, but only good ones. If you haven't mastered this class you'll explode in mere seconds.

As a sin player, engi snipers are bane of my existence coming second after good-timed net.

That's Sharpshooter/Marksman passive.

There's not much to add to the posts above, snipers shine in ranked, but only good ones. If you haven't mastered this class you'll explode in mere seconds.

As a sin player, engi snipers are bane of my existence coming second after good-timed net.

It's an enjoyable class and fun once you get decent on it. But it really does have a high ceiling of skill to achieve.

Average snipers can do nice damage when ignored and allowed to freely dps, but great snipers are capable of knowing when to use their DCDs and knowing when to move or stay in cover. If you get up at the wrong time, or are clueless under pressure you will die extremely fast and not have anything to show for it after the match.

I also found it's a class I had to stay on a lot to stay in practice with. For some reason, if I quit my sniper for a month or more, then decided to go back to it, my rust was heavy on the class. On other classes I could take extended breaks, and pick them up and after 3-4 games I would be acclimated to their abilities. On my slinger/snipers, if I took a long break I found I couldn't really get back into it's groove as easily. Sometimes I even just remade a new slinger/sniper just to adjust quicker to their abilities and rotations etc. as I leveled up. I don't know why this is the case, but it is.

Any help is welcome

Just make a merc, don't bother with snipers.