New patch = joke

MRSHRUIKAN

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't go that far yet.

But I have had really bad games with the new matchmaking during primetime in regs. We had just 1 healer/1 tank and

my team had a bunch of stim less 120k hp people. We went against a double premades (solid, geared players) that ended up with 3 healers and a tank a few times. I know they're supposed to prioritize balance now with roles, but it didn't seem to work well so far.

So far the cross faction has been absolutely terrible.

However the matchmaking system is supposed to be working, it doesn't appear to be doing it's job very well.

Granted it's only been 2 days of it and I am willing to give it some more time but if it continues like this the whole system should be scrapped. I don't think BWs sample size on the PTS was nearly large enough to actually test this to see if it would work properly.

However the matchmaking system is supposed to be working, it doesn't appear to be doing it's job very well.

Granted it's only been 2 days of it and I am willing to give it some more time but if it continues like this the whole system should be scrapped. I don't think BWs sample size on the PTS was nearly large enough to actually test this to see if it would work properly.

Yeah, it's only been a day or two...but I was playing in prime time on Star Forge. Just didn't seem to be working well.

2 days? It's barely been one prime time cycle. The new matchmaking systems comes with a new hidden ELO rating for regular warzones, which will take time to generate and balance things out. You need to give it more time.

2 days? It's barely been one prime time cycle. The new matchmaking systems comes with a new hidden ELO rating for regular warzones, which will take time to generate and balance things out. You need to give it more time.

I was under the impression they already had that hidden ELO, not anything new. Like I said, the games have been one sided for the most part since this patch has launched for me(over a dozen games played), where the roles are messed up (3 heals/1 tank, 1 healer vs 2 and a tank, etc.) and i'm getting in games with 3+ people who have 120k HP and no set bonuses.

Personally, i'd like a detailed explanation on how they set it all up by a dev. Just to get a little bit more detail on it works and if it will get better over time...if they haven't already.

Edited by Jmenks

If I remember the post concerning the hidden ELO that mechanic was already in game and not something "new" to this patch. They just found a new use for it.

So everyone that had been PVPing before already had/has a ELO rating using it.

Hmm I had fun won most games only lost one and that was a close match do to a bad pass in huttbal. I laugh my A at people dying while trying to hold the ball longer. People were screaming Like it was a glitch. No one reads patch notes

How do people make concrete judgments of the matchmaking after one evening of it? I think expectations are impossible with some people anyway.

If people think the devs have a way to make the game create perfect matches every time a queue pops they are going to be sorely disappointed.

I can't judge it off one day. Personally my matches yesterday evening were closer than most past matches, and even in losses I did not have any landslide awful one-sided contests.

That doesn't mean I won't and can't have such matches... The point of the matchmaking was to give better chances for better matches.

Without knowing exactly what hidden elo they are using or other factors it's hard to know if it will be successful or not without practical experience which is going to take a lot longer than queing for a few hours right after the new system was added.

How do people make concrete judgments of the matchmaking after one evening of it? I think expectations are impossible with some people anyway.

If people think the devs have a way to make the game create perfect matches every time a queue pops they are going to be sorely disappointed.

I can't judge it off one day. Personally my matches yesterday evening were closer than most past matches, and even in losses I did not have any landslide awful one-sided contests.

That doesn't mean I won't and can't have such matches... The point of the matchmaking was to give better chances for better matches.

Without knowing exactly what hidden elo they are using or other factors it's hard to know if it will be successful or not without practical experience which is going to take a lot longer than queing for a few hours right after the new system was added.

Well, they should better explain it...because as of right now....doing a 2 man with my guildie, it definitely is not working correctly.

First reg of this new patch my team had 3 healers and the other team had 1 tank with no healers...Idk how that was fair at all. And before you ask. Of course we won, because the enemy team couldn't kill us because we had the healer advantage..

What do you mean by "it's not working correctly" though?

I am getting games with the following when before this update, while winning most of my regs pre patch (so with that secret matchmaking rank in account):

1. 120k hp players, literally with start up gear.

2. Multiple healers when we only have 1 and one tank and sometimes none. This is during prime time hours, so there is no way that is all that is in queue.

3. Facing fully geared premades, sometimes double. Which I used to enjoy! But now we have players on our team that have no idea what pvp is.

I've now played over 20 games, and they have been by far the worst games i've played in a long time.

EDIT: Matchmaking will more strongly take player skill into account when making teams.

^ That has been failing miserably from my multiple game experience and so has the healer/tank combinations.

Edited by Jmenks

Most of the matches I've gotten have been quite balanced. 1 or 2 healers each side.

The problem is when people don't accept the queue pop. The game doesn't seem to try to fill with the role that never accepted pop.

I was queued into an arena yesterday and it was 3 dps 1 healer each side. Our healer left and the replacement was a dps. ???

We still won, but the system doesn't seem to plan out replacements if people drop. I think that's why you are still seeing groups with 3 healers v 1.

I was queued into an arena yesterday and it was 3 dps 1 healer each side. Our healer left and the replacement was a dps. ???

We still won, but the system doesn't seem to plan out replacements if people drop. I think that's why you are still seeing groups with 3 healers v 1.

Yea, as far as arena goes, the system is still sucks. I accepted a pop uo and got into arena where other team had 1 healer and 3 dps, my team had 4 dps. Then 2 people on my team left, we got 2 healers as replacement, then 1 of healers left and we didn't get a 4th member at all. Needless to say we lost both rounds.

Edited by Gelious

Well done BW, you guys just ruined the rest that was left to ruin regarding pvp.

Now pvp its a bad joke!!

Well done!!

I notice my Dps jugg isnt doing as good as it was and as well the cool downs are taking longer then normal. I have abilities i use while others are cooling down. But i cant use them while others are cooling down cause they are still cooling down just by a couple of seconds and it is costing me big time.

So yea, Well Done! :mad:

I notice my Dps jugg isnt doing as good as it was and as well the cool downs are taking longer then normal. I have abilities i use while others are cooling down. But i cant use them while others are cooling down cause they are still cooling down just by a couple of seconds and it is costing me big time.

So yea, Well Done! :mad:

You are imagining things. All DCDs are exactly the same.

You are imagining things. All DCDs are exactly the same.

Lies Lundorff!

BW has secret hidden timers now that run longer than what is presented on the surface!

The "matchmaking" is now deliberately setting up the lowest ELO/lowest geared players versus the highest ELO/highest geared players.

All facets of PVP have now been ruined with hidden stats, hidden agendas, and hidden purpose. We doomed!

Lies Lundorff!

BW has secret hidden timers now that run longer than what is presented on the surface!

The "matchmaking" is now deliberately setting up the lowest ELO/lowest geared players versus the highest ELO/highest geared players.

All facets of PVP have now been ruined with hidden stats, hidden agendas, and hidden purpose. We doomed!

Doomed! Dooooomed! :D

I'm not going to claim to have anything terribly concrete, and I'll give the changes at least a week. But last night was the worst night of swtor I've had in a while.

We were running a 4 man. Kept getting paired against 2 of the other good pvp guilds on the server (in 2 - 4 man groups) while getting all the random pugs who wouldn't call on our side. Needless to say how that turned out. I want fair competition, not to attempt to carry every crap player who lurked around pub side.

It is my hope this was a one off phenomenon. I put this out there, opening myself up to the inevitable insults, because it was a bad experience. The constant refusal of pugs to do any objectives while pulling less than 1 mill damage at mid the entire match was why i started running a prenade in the first place. Their skill algorithm was supposed to fix this, and it did fix our opponents. We were against mostly skilled teams.

And I'm just going to be 100% honest here. If it wasnt for the 2 or 3 guildies i have who are freakish huttball fans, I'd be leaving every queshball pop now. Between the god awful desync and new rules, it is simply horrible now.

If you are reading this, Musco, you are slowly doing everything in your power to get rid of an incredibly loyal long time customer who has stuck with you through many disasters in hopes you will eventually change them. I do not expect huttball to be changed back, i don't care if it is as long as desync gets back to normal enough for me to know what level I'm on.

The skill algorithm needs adjustment, however. I assume its set up to match teams so that both sides have some sort of average skill that is the same. So my premade of 4 all has the skill level of my very good guildie, and the enemy premades both had a (probably) lower skill, thus we got the pugs that couldnt tell which was the stabby end of their lightsaber. Would this be fixed by using an average skill for my premade?

The constant refusal of pugs to do any objectives while pulling less than 1 mill damage at mid the entire match was why i started running a prenade in the first place. Their skill algorithm was supposed to fix this, and it did fix our opponents. We were against mostly skilled teams.

I feel for you, I hate huttball matches where you are the only person with a clue to play the ball.

Prior to the patch, I had a Quesh where I literally was the ONLY player on our team going for the ball. I even managed to score once. In the end, I had 3500 objective points, my team all had zero.

Thing is, BW can't add an algorithm into the game that differentiates players who play objective from those who do not. I don't know how any game could ever match teams up as perfect as it seems we are expecting.

With the limited population, how can the game find proper refills when people drop the queues for WZs? How can it figure out who plays objectively or not?

And I'm just going to be 100% honest here. If it wasnt for the 2 or 3 guildies i have who are freakish huttball fans, I'd be leaving every queshball pop now. Between the god awful desync and new rules, it is simply horrible now.

I ha2 only a couple huttball matches yesterday, but how are the rules horrible?

I found it fairly decent. Ball hogs blew up, which actually was good imo. It makes people have to look ahead and throw the ball instead of trying to corss every bridge and pit on their own to score on their own every time.

I did not notice desyncing anymore than usual, are you seeing more issues regarding that now? What rules do you dislike that huttball has had added?

The only thing I have seen so far that was off for me in the WZs was planting on doors in Voidstar; it is very fast. You have little time to warn that your side is getting bombarded now, and chances are your team won't have time to respond if they are slow and on the other side.

This change in Voidstar, I am not sure if I dislike it or not though. I guess I need to see it more often to come to a conclusion.

If I remember the post concerning the hidden ELO that mechanic was already in game and not something "new" to this patch. They just found a new use for it.

So everyone that had been PVPing before already had/has a ELO rating using it.

It’s obvious to me that hidden rating system is flawed or it’s not working at all.

Whatever parameters they are using to rate skill is completely out of whack.

Yeah, I like the huttball changes. I thought I would hate raising the score cap to 10, but I've found (so far at least) that in practice it doesn't even matter. I had a lot of huttball matches (quesh and regular) yesterday for some reason, and I never saw one go above 6. Since bioware also reduced the length of the matches, there's just not time to score that often. Most matches were pretty even, but I was in one I remember where we mostly walked all over them, and we still barely got to 6 before the timer ran out. I think there was about 1 minute left when Girada called mercy at 6 to zip.

And I find it awesome to watch some ball hog blow up, and then type in chat "***?" because they didn't know about the change. That's my bit of evil for this week. :D I saw a few mentions that a visible timer would be nice. And I have mixed feelings about that. I can see both pros and cons.

But I've also seen "bad" games. Quick double caps in ACW where the other team didn't seem to really have a chance. Or AHG, not double-cap blowouts, but just strong games where, again, the other team didn't seem to be at the same level as mine. I was lucky enough to be on the winning side of those so far. I noticed that the other side did not give up and go sit at a node for defender points, but I don't know how fair they thought the games were.

But I agree with what others have already said. Seems a bit "early days" yet to be predicting how good the match making is working. I would not expect some huge influx of super-fair games. The best I was hoping for was that there would be fewer blowout games. So far, for me, that seems true. But I wouldn't call that a "conclusion" until a few more weeks have gone by to give things time to settle.