Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

How do you say "SWTOR?"


Lhancelot's Avatar


Lhancelot
05.29.2019 , 10:55 AM | #1
I keep hearing people call it "SWORRRR-TORRRRR" all over the internet.

Looking at the letters, I don't understand where the first "OR" sound is coming from. In fact, add a D to the end of it, and you got SWORD for the first part of the word.

I read "SWTOR" as "SW-TOR." Sort of like, SWEATER but with an emphasis on the TOR ending part of the word. In no way am I reading it as "SWORRRRR-TORRR," though.
The Revival of SWTOR: Petition for More Funding and Resources
(Click link Below For More Information)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=959696

Qouivandes's Avatar


Qouivandes
05.29.2019 , 11:06 AM | #2
I say, "the Old Republic." If further clarification is needed, i will say, "Star Wars the Old Republic." The acronym just isnt very helping in saying as letters.
*.**.* The Cer'qeuil Legacy *.**.*
*.*.* Ebon Hawk *. *.*
. This is my referral link. We both get some goodies so feel free to click and earn

Lhancelot's Avatar


Lhancelot
05.29.2019 , 11:11 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Qouivandes View Post
I say, "the Old Republic." If further clarification is needed, i will say, "Star Wars the Old Republic." The acronym just isnt very helping in saying as letters.
Good idea.

We could just say TOR also, right? Maybe TOR would be easiest.
The Revival of SWTOR: Petition for More Funding and Resources
(Click link Below For More Information)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=959696

Seterade's Avatar


Seterade
05.29.2019 , 11:23 AM | #4
I say swartor because if I try to make a T sound after a W its wierd. also war is the second word in star wars. (yes, it has a S at the end)

Lhancelot's Avatar


Lhancelot
05.29.2019 , 11:32 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Seterade View Post
I say swartor because if I try to make a T sound after a W its wierd. also war is the second word in star wars. (yes, it has a S at the end)
Yeah but where is the sWARtor part coming from if the word is "SWTOR." I think TOR, or just The Old Republic is what I will use lol.

Like, I feel like logging into TOR today!

Or, 6.0 is a really important update for The Old Republic.

I can't do this SWORRR-TORRR stuff.
The Revival of SWTOR: Petition for More Funding and Resources
(Click link Below For More Information)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=959696

BlueWanderer's Avatar


BlueWanderer
05.29.2019 , 11:40 AM | #6
I call it late for dinner.

foxmob's Avatar


foxmob
05.29.2019 , 12:04 PM | #7
I add a vowel between the two terms, so it sounds like SWO-TOR
Krack

Balameb's Avatar


Balameb
05.29.2019 , 12:11 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post
I keep hearing people call it "SWORRRR-TORRRRR" all over the internet.

Looking at the letters, I don't understand where the first "OR" sound is coming from. In fact, add a D to the end of it, and you got SWORD for the first part of the word.

I read "SWTOR" as "SW-TOR." Sort of like, SWEATER but with an emphasis on the TOR ending part of the word. In no way am I reading it as "SWORRRRR-TORRR," though.
I don't find myself using the name too much. The few times someone in real life asked me what i play i just said its full name. But in my head i read its short name as swOtor (without that 'R' in the middle).
Get 7 days as Sub and some free stuff --> Refferal link

OlBuzzard's Avatar


OlBuzzard
05.29.2019 , 12:12 PM | #9
Actually for me ... most of those whom I converse with ( yes in RL ) and mess with computers are considerably younger than I am .. so I just tell them S-W-T-O-R ! Yes ... one letter at a time ! And they know. I gave up on trying to make it sound like a word ! Some how it just didn't work !

(████████████████████████████]:|█[ioi]█[|||████]|█|

Psilanthropy's Avatar


Psilanthropy
05.29.2019 , 02:26 PM | #10
When speaking to others who don't play SWTOR, I recite the full acronym: Star Wars the Old Republic. When they know what I'm talking about, or I'm mentioning it multiple times within a discussion, I'll abbreviate to The Old Republic. However, when I'm reading anything with "SWTOR" in it, I read it as each individual letter (S-W-T-O-R).

Trying to say suh-tore or shivers SWOR TOR feels awkward to me.