Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Things that are Dead should stay DEAD!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Things that are Dead should stay DEAD!

Tsillah's Avatar


Tsillah
07.17.2019 , 08:31 AM | #141
Quote: Originally Posted by Shayddow View Post
I've got to disagree with some of the posters here. As having played for a long time and having read the forums back in the day, there were many who were disappointed when Malgus was originally killed off. Many at the time expressed the wish that their characters could have joined him, in reforming the Empire. (My LS sith among them). Thus, at least one of my characters was very happy to have him return and to fight at his side, rather than in opposition to him.


(He did not become a saboteur, he stayed allied to the Empire, although he is light-side, he still follows the ways of the Sith (as interpreted by Kaleth-Ur). He is one to change the empire from within rather than try to destroy it, though.
I think Malgus is the exception to the rule for me if you will. It was set up properly and I'm fine with his return. But the overall trend to over-use character deaths as gimmicks for story telling is a bad trend. In some cases, when done properly, it really can work well in a story, but they just use it too much. I can still appreciate the Malgus situation but I really do wish they stop using it as much as they have and not just in SWTOR.

It just seems a sign of lesser quality in writing when you see an increase in contrived emotional pulls and deus ex machina solutions. It's good to have unexpected things, twists in stories but I also want them to feel warranted and not contrived. It's a fantasy space setting but even within that setting there exists logic and things that you can trace back and see how it was building up to something you just didn't see coming.

It's the application of mystery that they've lost touch with as well as writing interesting characters. Now I will say again that SWTOR has turned a page recently and it's looking up, so I'm hopeful here. But I really do hope they can create a sense of mystery in the story which makes you care about what happens next and create depth to characters that makes you care about them and what happens to them. That's what gets me excited in a BioWare game or used to anyway.

Fewer caricatures, fewer dei ex machina and fewer deaths for the sake of deaths that aren't really deaths after all type of stuff, but actually interesting writing that builds up as the story progresses. Mystery is not a binary thing where first you don't know it and then you do. It should be a process where you get clues and start seeing a picture develop over time and blows you away when you get to that point where it all falls together.

Anyways, you get my point I guess. I think Malgus was handled properly in this respect but he arrives on the back of a number of cheap ressurrections.
Referral link for some extras: http://www.swtor.com/r/jMVTyB

ZionHalcyon's Avatar


ZionHalcyon
07.17.2019 , 10:03 AM | #142
Quote: Originally Posted by Tsillah View Post
I think Malgus is the exception to the rule for me if you will. It was set up properly and I'm fine with his return. But the overall trend to over-use character deaths as gimmicks for story telling is a bad trend. In some cases, when done properly, it really can work well in a story, but they just use it too much. I can still appreciate the Malgus situation but I really do wish they stop using it as much as they have and not just in SWTOR.

It just seems a sign of lesser quality in writing when you see an increase in contrived emotional pulls and deus ex machina solutions. It's good to have unexpected things, twists in stories but I also want them to feel warranted and not contrived. It's a fantasy space setting but even within that setting there exists logic and things that you can trace back and see how it was building up to something you just didn't see coming.

It's the application of mystery that they've lost touch with as well as writing interesting characters. Now I will say again that SWTOR has turned a page recently and it's looking up, so I'm hopeful here. But I really do hope they can create a sense of mystery in the story which makes you care about what happens next and create depth to characters that makes you care about them and what happens to them. That's what gets me excited in a BioWare game or used to anyway.

Fewer caricatures, fewer dei ex machina and fewer deaths for the sake of deaths that aren't really deaths after all type of stuff, but actually interesting writing that builds up as the story progresses. Mystery is not a binary thing where first you don't know it and then you do. It should be a process where you get clues and start seeing a picture develop over time and blows you away when you get to that point where it all falls together.

Anyways, you get my point I guess. I think Malgus was handled properly in this respect but he arrives on the back of a number of cheap ressurrections.
Agreed. Malgus was handled fine.

Celise's Avatar


Celise
07.18.2019 , 12:29 AM | #143
Quote: Originally Posted by Shayddow View Post
(He did not become a saboteur, he stayed allied to the Empire, although he is light-side, he still follows the ways of the Sith (as interpreted by Kaleth-Ur). He is one to change the empire from within rather than try to destroy it, though.
Malgus was never light side and the darkside corruption is clearly evident on his body as well. Even before he had the respirator mask attrached to his face, Malgus was clearly full of hate and darkness. Even at his older age before he died, he remained committed to his own path; his own desires. Ilum was a flashpoint in Malgus's life: he tried to usurp control of the dark council by claiming it was dissolved and asking all sith to join him in building a new empire where they can follow their passions.

This would contradict your statement that he was light side and he was loyal to the empire. Of course Malgus died out on the station because the republic and empire couldn't tolerate this "new empire" from rising and even temporarily banded together to stop it. Now Malgus returned to the galaxy at large and he is still just as violent as ever, with a few upgrades to boot.

The empire changed somewhat through Acina, she allowed aliens to be released from the shackles, at least those who showed enough talent, and put them to work as agents for the empire rather than wasting what they could offer being locked up in chains. Alien recruitment is more common than before. Remember what acina mentioned: the empire has to change to survive and acknowledging weakness is the first step in becoming stronger. Now if Malgus has whispered into her ear about change or not after his lazarus project? i have no idea, so i'm leaving that open-ended.

Goreshaga's Avatar


Goreshaga
07.18.2019 , 01:32 AM | #144
Quote: Originally Posted by Celise View Post
Malgus was never light side and the darkside corruption is clearly evident on his body as well.
I think the person you quoted was refering to their own character when saying said character was LS but still loyal to the Empire.
In need of more Arcann, Aric, Torian, Vector, and a lot, lot, lot more Theron.
There's nothing like geting too much Theron

My characters