Alas, Duchess Satine

Slowpokeking

I like her a lot for many reasons. She didn't exist simply as someone's love interest but had her own duty. She was not strong physically, I don't totally agree with her political view since it's a bit too extreme, especially to the Mandaloirans since it's against their tradition. However she is willing to do everything for her goal, despite she has powerful enemies, her own people's betrayal and the tradition of Mandalorians. She never changed her belief through this and I can see she's right. The Mandalorians overall are bad on politics, they mostly played Sith' tool and got badly owned by the Jedi after the Sith are defeated. We can also see the situation after Satine was removed from power, that's not really a stable way to develop, nor is it good for the people.

In the book her last words are "Remember, my dear Obi Wan. No matter what, don't let go of what you believe in. I never did." I think it's better than the lines in the cartoon.

For these reasons she really is my favorite SW female character. I wrote fanfic of Anakin&Satine mostly because I think she's the only one who could let Anakin grow feeling, of course it's my own opinion.;)

In season 5, well, due to the bad handling, the arc is quite rushed so like Viszla, she was portrayed like an idiot if you view her as a politician. She got no solution when the criminals were attacking, refused to run away and reveal the truth for her people, she told Maul about Almec's nature. And she should tell the Jedi about Maul since they clearly showed they are after Obi Wan, maybe that's because she didn't want the Republic to get involved too much. Overall the problem of her character in season 5 is she never played a strong role like she did in the previous seasons, never achieved or try a way to achieve anything as a politician, but just do nothing and wait for rescue. My impression of her should be stronger than that, offer peace but still has enough military to defend her people, knew sometimes she should run to keep the hope to reveal the truth and would be smarter to see Maul's goal as a politician.

Not just her characterization is not impressive in season 5, the Maul arc could be much better done if they focus on it rather than just use 4 episodes, Maul could link Obi Wan, Sidious, Anakin and Dooku, the Black Sun, the Hutt, the Mandalorians, the Jedi and the Sith, all these factions could be involved in the arc and make season 5 the best one, too bad it's not the case.

As for Obi Wan, I don't like he got too many romance and in the same time, especially during the period around 22-20 BBY. He went by himself, the conversation between him and Anakin

"And the Jedi Council will do nothing, of course." Anakin said disgustedly.

"It's not as simple as that," Obi Wan said reluctantly. "The Senate_"

"The Senate will do even less," Anakin said. "But we're not the Senate or the Council, are we? Ready when you are, Obi Wan."

Obi Wan felt a surge of gratitude. Anakin was loyal, and a good friend. But that wasn't what he wanted from his former Padawan.

"I will hear quite enough from Master Yoda without involving you," Obi Wan said."Let's keep the level of uproar to merely enormous, shall we?"

Anakin shook his head.

"Anakin, this is my burden to bear," Obi Wan said. "I appreciate your wanting to help, but I must do this alone."

Anakin gazed at Obi Wan, saw he wouldn't change his mind, and nodded unhappily.

is deleted probably to make him look better, but he still borrowed the ship from Anakin so he had a chance to ask for help.

Now we all see the episode, if Anakin was there it could make a big difference, he could stay on Twilight and fly it much sooner once Obi Wan and Satine was out. I don't know why was he taunting Maul when he was choking Satine, Maul was trying to lure him to the Dark Side so he would not kill Satine in short time. But after he was enraged by Obi Wan he decided to kill her to make him "share his pain". I admit I'm a bit frustrated when I read the book and watched this episode for these reasons. He gives me the impression that he loves Satine, but still couldn't totally break from the Jedi discipline. I'm not surprised of Maul and the Jedi Council's decision, but I had a bit hope in him, too bad, and that's why I don't like him.

Well I expected Satine's death 10 months ago after Maul's return and I was right about how would she die. I bought the book and read 2 weeks before the episode. However, it's still very sad to see her die in the episode, especially her character wasn't handled well in season 5, and I guess this one is probably the last TCW episode I'm going to watch. Maybe, maybe I will have interest in certain arc if it's really interesting, but definitely not follow it every week.

Alas, Duchess Satine.

Why would you stop watching TCW after this episode? Only because you don't like how Satine died? Man, these last few episodes were the best I've seen out of the show, and overall I do quite enjoy the show. Hated the droid arc with the little alien though. But these last few Maul episodes really made up for it. Can't wait to see next week!

Why would you stop watching TCW after this episode? Only because you don't like how Satine died? Man, these last few episodes were the best I've seen out of the show, and overall I do quite enjoy the show. Hated the droid arc with the little alien though. But these last few Maul episodes really made up for it. Can't wait to see next week!

The Maul arc is action-packed, good for TCW episodes but way too rushed and could be handled much better.

Trust me, when you see the previews of the next arc featuring Ashoka and Ventress - you'll coming running back. And before you know it will be seeing another thread titled 'Alas, Ashoka Tano'. :D

But seriously come on, TCW is just getting awesome and your done? Your going to miss all the best episodes. Have fun with that.

Edited by Beniboybling

Trust me, when you see the previews of the next arc featuring Ashoka and Ventress - you'll coming running back. And before you know it will be seeing another thread titled 'Alas, Ashoka Tano'. :D

But seriously come on, TCW is just getting awesome and your done? Your going to miss all the best episodes. Have fun with that.

Yes because I am quite disappointed at how they handled the Maul arc and killed Satine.

And I really do NOT wish to see a Obi-Katan romance.

Edited by Slowpokeking

This.

Also Obi-Wan was never "taunting" Maul. I admit I was bothered at first by how little emotionally affected Obi-Wan seemed to be when he saw Maul again for the first time, but as far as how he handled Satine's death, that was good old Obi-Wan.

Never thought I'd see the day where Maul begged for mercy, though!

This.

Also Obi-Wan was never "taunting" Maul. I admit I was bothered at first by how little emotionally affected Obi-Wan seemed to be when he saw Maul again for the first time, but as far as how he handled Satine's death, that was good old Obi-Wan.

Never thought I'd see the day where Maul begged for mercy, though!

He was attacking a devout Dark Sider's belief and this guy hates him so much, you know what will happen next.

If he brought Anakin Satine would mostly be saved.

I was saying to my kids earlier today ... i want to see ANAKIN ... he has been sorely underutilized this season. What are they holding him back for??
Very good point, he's all but vanished since the Onderon arc. However I think he's going to feature in the next arc and if I remember correctly from the trailer we see him slip further to the dark side, like some serious dark side.

Very good point, he's all but vanished since the Onderon arc. However I think he's going to feature in the next arc and if I remember correctly from the trailer we see him slip further to the dark side, like some serious dark side.

He offered help but Obi Wan refused.

I don't know why was he taunting Maul when he was choking Satine, Maul was trying to lure him to the Dark Side so he would not kill Satine in short time. But after he was enraged by Obi Wan he decided to kill her to make him "share his pain". I admit I'm a bit frustrated when I read the book and watched this episode for these reasons. He gives me the impression that he loves Satine, but still couldn't totally break from the Jedi discipline. I'm not surprised of Maul and the Jedi Council's decision, but I had a bit hope in him, too bad, and that's why I don't like him..

Obiwan knew that Maul planned to use Satine against him. I think that is the reason why Obiwan got all preachy on Maul. It's like Obi wan was saying,

"Go ahead bro, I know you going to kill her anyways. Do it. Kill her. I will not let her death be in vain, I will hold to my beliefs. I will show you I am stronger by not begging, compromising on my principles, or becoming angry and breaking the code. There is no such thing as death, only the Force."

Sure Obiwan loved Satine, but for Obiwan and Maul, this was deeper, this was about religion.

Obiwan did not shed a single tear for Satine, do to so would of proved Maul right. That peace is a lie, there is emotion. To get emotional, would of dishonored the Jedi, Satine, and Obiwan.

Obiwan knew that Maul planned to use Satine against him. I think that is the reason why Obiwan got all preachy on Maul. It's like Obi wan was saying,

"Go ahead bro, I know you going to kill her anyways. Do it. Kill her. I will not let her death be in vain, I will hold to my beliefs. I will show you I am stronger by not begging, compromising on my principles, or becoming angry and breaking the code. There is no such thing as death, only the Force."

Sure Obiwan loved Satine, but for Obiwan and Maul, this was deeper, this was about religion.

Obiwan did not shed a single tear for Satine, do to so would of proved Maul right. That peace is a lie, there is emotion. To get emotional, would of dishonored the Jedi, Satine, and Obiwan.

And there is emotion, he didn't prove Maul was wrong, but still try to lie to himself like the PT Jedi, and that's why they failed.

Just like in OT, they don't believe there is still good emotion in Vader anymore, they believe Luke could kill his father without emotion, and Luke proved they are wrong about both. If Luke really did it that what Obi Wan pushed him to do, it would cause him to fall to the Dark Side.

I just hate the fact Obi-Wan said "I would have given up the jedi order, had you given the word" then a season later he refuses and taunts maul into butchering her.

Plot hole much?

That's just his words, Qui Gon and surely Anakin might be able to do it, but certainly not him.

He offered help but Obi Wan refused.

No, the scene where Anakin offered help was never added in the episode.

And seriously, Slowpokeking, you've been arguing the same thing over and over again in the Jedi Council forums. Haven't you had enough?

Edited by Aitix

No, the scene where Anakin offered help was never added in the episode.

And seriously, Slowpokeking, you've been arguing the same thing over and over again in the Jedi Council forums. Haven't you had enough?

It's still in the book and didn't contradict with the cartoon so it's still canon. It was deleted only due to time issue.

Well I'm gonna drop TCW after this episode's discussion is over. Imagine how will Ahsoka fans behave if she dies and Anakin failed her like this?

I just hate the fact Obi-Wan said "I would have given up the jedi order, had you given the word" then a season later he refuses and taunts maul into butchering her.

Plot hole much?

He never taunted Maul into butchering her.

He was attacking a devout Dark Sider's belief and this guy hates him so much, you know what will happen next.

If he brought Anakin Satine would mostly be saved.

Dude, Maul was planning on killing Satine before Obi-Wan even opened his mouth. That was his revenge.

He never taunted Maul into butchering her.

Maul was also showing anger when he started to say "And those who oppose it are more powerful than you'll ever be", why did he still continue on the background of Maul and talk about he didn't have a choice when he was little? As a Dark Sider and who worship power, mention things about when they were little and being weak is clearly going to make them angry, even if he didn't intend to he should stop when he saw Maul became angry.

It's still in the book and didn't contradict with the cartoon so it's still canon. It was deleted only due to time issue.

Well I'm gonna drop TCW after this episode's discussion is over. Imagine how will Ahsoka fans behave if she dies and Anakin failed her like this?

The book is non-canon because it has been contradicted by this episode.

Dude, Maul was planning on killing Satine before Obi-Wan even opened his mouth. That was his revenge.

No, he never said such thing and it's not showing he would kill her so soon if he wasn't enraged.

Think about it, Maul hates Obi Wan right? If someone was keep taunting him when he captured Obi Wan in the end of season 4 and he killed Obi Wan and the taunting guy, can we say "He's going to kill Obi Wan anyway, it does not matter."