The Star Wars: The Old Republic Community Cantina Tour Arrives in Las Vegas, Nevada!

TaitWatson

What, you pushed the event back one weekend? Would have appreciated an earlier notice when you do something like that, since we have booked the flights around the tentative dates. :( Edited by Jerba

We’re happy to announce that the next stop in the Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Community Cantina Tour will be happening on Saturday, November 15th, 2014!

Read More

While I am pleased to have the information moving this back a week was surprising. Please don't do this in the future.

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

First off, I want to apologize for anyone who's travel was impacted by the date announcement of our Las Vegas event. It is always our goal that we can have as many people as possible coming to our Cantina events, with a special nod always to those who are willing to travel extra to get there, the last thing we want to do is put someone out of travel expenses.

I understand that there is some frustration around the date being different than what we had initially listed. I have to reiterate that those dates were merely possible targets and were not at all intended to be an announcement of the event date. As we stated previously, our date is never considered final on these events until we have announced it formally in a blog which would include date, time, and location.

I also want to apologize for the timing of the announcement. I realize that one month out is closer to the time of the event than intended. It is our goal that we will tend to announce events 60 days out from each event. In this case, we were working on securing a venue, and also factoring in what staff would be able to attend as well which made it later than usual.

As we move into next year and start talking about Cantina locations, I will likely remove the date specifics and talk only about locations. Although I want to give everyone a target as best I can, I would hate to repeat this situation where folks have looked at that initial schedule and booked travel. We will continue to work on getting event details out to you 60 days prior wherever we can.

I want to take this time to also mention another change in our schedule, this one for our Texas event which was previously slated for Austin in late November. With the launch of PAX South next year in our neighbor city of San Antonio, we are going to do our Texas event there in January! This will mark the first Cantina Tour of 2015.

Thank you all for your understanding.

-eric

Hey folks,

First off, I want to apologize for anyone who's travel was impacted by the date announcement of our Las Vegas event. It is always our goal that we can have as many people as possible coming to our Cantina events, with a special nod always to those who are willing to travel extra to get there, the last thing we want to do is put someone out of travel expenses.

I understand that there is some frustration around the date being different than what we had initially listed. I have to reiterate that those dates were merely possible targets and were not at all intended to be an announcement of the event date. As we stated previously, our date is never considered final on these events until we have announced it formally in a blog which would include date, time, and location.

I also want to apologize for the timing of the announcement. I realize that one month out is closer to the time of the event than intended. It is our goal that we will tend to announce events 60 days out from each event. In this case, we were working on securing a venue, and also factoring in what staff would be able to attend as well which made it later than usual.

As we move into next year and start talking about Cantina locations, I will likely remove the date specifics and talk only about locations. Although I want to give everyone a target as best I can, I would hate to repeat this situation where folks have looked at that initial schedule and booked travel. We will continue to work on getting event details out to you 60 days prior wherever we can.

I want to take this time to also mention another change in our schedule, this one for our Texas event which was previously slated for Austin in late November. With the launch of PAX South next year in our neighbor city of San Antonio, we are going to do our Texas event there in January! This will mark the first Cantina Tour of 2015.

-eric

eric,

There is a happy medium here. Many of the Cantina events are centered around larger events like SDCC and PAX. In these cases, the Cantina event will fall within a range of days, and you should continue to announce these dates. In other cases, like the Las Vegas event, there is not an anchoring event. In these cases it would still be great to say which month it will be in.

And, be as communicative as possible when things change. While I appreciate the Vegas dates may have just been confirmed. At some point in the decision process it would have become evident that the Nov 7-9 window may no longer be accurate. Thus, it would have been very appropriate to mention the uncertain nature of the event.

Fortunately, I didn't buy flights to Vegas cause I do everything last minute, but I know there were a number of people who had planned to travel far for this event.

Cheers,

oofalong

Hey folks,

I also want to apologize for the timing of the announcement. I realize that one month out is closer to the time of the event than intended....

-eric

It is what it is. I realize you are trying to do your job and deal with a bad situation. But some of these comments just got me angrier.

These dates are not only different than what you " initially listed", they are also different than the dates from this morning. Which btw is three weeks not a month from the date we started the morning with. While airline policies fluctuate, usually three weeks is a cutoff for some classes of discounted fares. I am pretty price insensitive to corporate travel paid for by my company and tend to book non-refundable. But the difference between a fully refundable and a non-refundable booked well in advance ticket can be the difference between 200 and 2000 for the same seat. Most of the Vegas hotel sites as well as Hertz, had non-refundable prices. As I am sure you are aware, anyone who was price sensitive had already made non-refundable reservations prior to this change.

I won't belabour the point but I completely disagree with "I have to reiterate that those dates were merely possible targets and were not at all intended to be an announcement of the event date. As we stated previously, our date is never considered final on these events until we have announced it formally in a blog which would include date, time, and location." In my opinion in the heat of the moment, "were not at all intended to be an announcement " strikes me as disingenuous at best. (Which is politer than the way that sentence was originally written.) Certainly when we were 3 weeks away from Nov 7th, I think it is not unreasonable to assume the date was more than a hope.

Being rude to the person announcing the bad news is neither fair nor productive. But I do want to make clear and hope that you hear us that changing dates, especially 3 weeks prior, is a big deal. I expected and expect better from BioWare.

Hey folks,

-eric

Well there goes my non-refundable ticket. :(

They gave warning that times were subject to change until official announcement. People acting on "subject to change" dates and getting burned only have themselves to blame. No need to have Bioware apologize.

Don't be a teacher's pet. :rolleyes:

Edited by Elfa

Hey folks,

-eric

So when are you guys going to spend some time here in Stockholm/Sweden? :ph_welcome:

I meen since you, BW, just as DICE, are part of the Evil Arts family now days.

So what happened, somebody wake up this morning and realize they hadn't booked a venue for the Vegas event ? Then they were stunned that a venue couldn't be secured with only three weeks notice? What kind of outfit are you guys running there? The venue should have been booked at minimum 90 days ago. It it wasn't you should have made an announcement at that time.

How many people do you think can make arrangements to attend something like this with less than 30 days notice? Its an event that is only open to adults. Adults that need to arrange time off from work, childcare, travel, etc

You say that its your goal to give 60 days notice. So what happened? That seems like a fairly easy goal to make. the fact that you didn't and then it took ANOTHER 30 days to make an announcement is ludicrous. You should have just cancelled the event altogether.

My guildies and I have been planning on attending this for months, ever since it was announced. Some had made arrangements to come from Canada for crying out loud. This incompetence shows a complete and utter disregard and lack of respect for the customers and fans that support you. Whoever is responsible for this should be fired .

Then to add insult to injury, you come off with a half baked apology, blathering on about your "goals"... goals are just another way of saying "I'll try". Don't try, DO!

Are those of us that already made arrangements supposed to be comforted by the fact that you had a goal? Its results that count, not goals. Having a goal to clear NiM ops doesn't get you the title just for trying does it?

Very poor planning here people and even worse execution.

I'm sure you don't even care though. you'll still have your event and your crowd of adoring fans who will always put up with your incompetence. At some point though, you all should look in the mirror and dare yourselves to be better and stop making excuses for those that don't.

Edited by DavDurye
readability

I really cannot believe this. My husband & I have been playing this game since launch, went to the Phoenix Cantina, Booked our rooms, scheduled Vacation from work to go to this Las Vegas event and then you all change the dates. I am so disappointed in SWTOR. you may say your sorry but your not otherwise you would fix this. Some people with real careers require more than 1 month to arrange for time off, subject to change is crap. I certainly will not try to go to anymore SWTOR events.

Guess SWTOR isn't really interested in keeping their subscribers/fans happy. I have an idea that could make up for it.....for Sachis Tortorus & Ezabel Tortorus to selected for the closed beta testing for upcoming new content.

Ezabel

Edited by DedeeB

They gave warning that times were subject to change until official announcement. People acting on "subject to change" dates and getting burned only have themselves to blame. No need to have Bioware apologize.

Exactly this. In fact its really inappropriate for BioWare to be apologizing for this at all, it just encourages more terrible behavior.

Don't be illiterate and make non-refundable reservations without a date confirmation. :rolleyes:

Typical modern behavior, deflect all personal responsibility away from oneself.

I never denied any responsibility, I simply voiced sadness at losing the cash. I never asked for any apology or compensation or even expressed anger, but you'd know that if you were literate yourself.

Why do trolls like you feel the need to come in to threads like this and slam others just to make yourselves look good and stir up more anger?! :mad:

Edited by Elfa

SOOOO glad they pushed it back 1 week. I'll be in town visiting family and my sister's wedding is the weekend before! WOOO, my wife even agreed to stay an extra 3 days so we could attend the event!!! Oh, the joy's of driving for vacation!! I've missed 3 of these by just days in Seattle, NY, and Texas, FINALLY!!!! WOO!!!