What is your fondest memory of cyborgs in the star wars movies.

Mookiethejookie

A cyborg was a cybernetic organism, that is, a living organic sentient organism with mechanical prostheses. Often covered in synthflesh/synthskin, these prostheses served one or more of three purposes:

1.Life support, often due to injuries sustained. Examples of this were Darth Vader, General Grievous, and Lumiya.

2.Prosthetic replacements for parts that were lost, though they may not be required for life itself. An example of this was the prosthetic hand used by Luke Skywalker, as well the

mechanical arm used by Anakin Skywalker.

3.To enhance one's abilities, as in the case of Lobot. General Grievous's abilities were also significantly enhanced by his prostheses, though his main reason for becoming a cyborg was that he had sustained massive injuries and would have died otherwise. However, his four arms, each with its own lightsaber, did improve his swordsmanship beyond his native abilities.

Cyborg also referred to creatures that were half-organic and half-droid. They were generally regarded as "soulless abominations". Cyberneticists were responsible for developing and creating cybernetic components.

Famous cyborgs

■Bao-Dur

■Empatojayos Brand

■Death Hunter cyborg

■Dengar

■D'harhan

■Attuma Duum

■Gorm

■Grievous

■Haazen

■Harrsk

■A'Sharad Hett/Darth Krayt

■Bertroff Hissa

■Oron Jaeger

■Kligson

■Derek Klivian

■Delak Krennel

■Lobot

■Lotas

■Lumiya

■Luwingo

■Arden Lyn

■Darth Malak

■Lord Nyax

■Jan Ors

■Ton Phanan

■Cay Qel-Droma

■Qorl

■Azlyn Rae

■Rav

■Terrinald Screed

■Shadow Droids (Starfighters with fused pilot brains)

Aurra Sing had a bio-computer implanted in her brain

■Aurra Sing

■Skorr

■Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader

■Luke Skywalker

■Booster Terrik

■Osvald Teshik

■Gadon Thek

■B'dard Tone

■Griggor Tower

■Trachta

■Antinnis Tremayne

■Trioculus

■Beilert Valance

■Asajj Ventress

■Alexandra Winger

Cyborg Species

■Entire Gank species

■Entire Yaka species

■Entire Marasan species

■Entire Iskalloni species

■Males of Rokrul Nelvaanians

Source

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cyborg

Just takes a bit of searching, though i believe the OP knows this and his post was meant for trollings

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The only people who'd defend having cyborgs as a race are rampant fanboys and biodrones. The cyborg 'race' is literally just a human with a cyborg slider, that's it. No rational person can defend that. They should have put said slider in the human race and then add in an actual RACE, rather then another human with borg implants.

That may be true, they could have but i personally don't see anything wrong with having it seperated like they do. I know the amount of races is disappointing but i see why bw used the ones they did and i'm sure others will come in the future.

That may be true, they could have but i personally don't see anything wrong with having it seperated like they do. I know the amount of races is disappointing but i see why bw used the ones they did and i'm sure others will come in the future.

Why did they use the ones they did? Because they required virtually no effort? Because it allowed them to make four models and just re-skin them? I can see why Bioware did it too, doesn't make it acceptable.

Or they could just do what any modern developer would do and put a tick in there. Have the engine search the player, if they have the cyborg slider on they're counted as cyborgs and get the cyborg dialogue, if they don't have the cyborg slider they're counted as humans and get the human dialogue. This isn't 2000, we can do fancy things like this now.

I think that would be more confusing from an end-user perspective.

Ok then, prove me wrong. Explain to me how having cyborg as it's own independent race makes any logical sense. Explain to me why Bioware simply couldn't add the cyborg slider to the human race (or indeed all the races since they use the same models).

You must be fun at parties.

Ok then, prove me wrong. Explain to me how having cyborg as it's own independent race makes any logical sense. Explain to me why Bioware simply couldn't add the cyborg slider to the human race (or indeed all the races since they use the same models).

Because they chose to. Probably the simplest answer. The second simplest would be that they want it to be a meaningful choice, rather than a slider option.

More importantly to this point, you're treating your opinion as a fact. Want me to prove you wrong? I think the cyborg race is a cool addition. Therefore, your opinion is not universal. You've been proven wrong......at least as much wrong as you can prove an opinion that is 100% based on subjectivity.

Because they chose to. Probably the simplest answer. The second simplest would be that they want it to be a meaningful choice, rather than a slider option.

More importantly to this point, you're treating your opinion as a fact. Want me to prove you wrong? I think the cyborg race is a cool addition. Therefore, your opinion is not universal. You've been proven wrong......at least as much wrong as you can prove an opinion that is 100% based on subjectivity.

The thing is, I can justify and explain why I feel making cyborg it's own race is a bad addition. You can't. All you can do is sit there eating up whatever Bioware dishes out and going "I like it so I don't care what you think". All they had to do was make it a slider for the other races. You know what's more of a meaningful choice? Choosing whether you want to be a human or a wookiee, not whether you want to be a human or a human with metal on his face.

Could also be that the models have a finite amount of anchor points for facial accessories (beards, piercings, headgear, etc). This is a guess, though.

How so? From the players perspective, if they were a cyborg they'd be treated like a cyborg, if they were a human they'd be treated like a human. What part of that would be at all confusing?

Mostly I'm unclear on how this cyborg slider would work. Is this just another slider a la the heads/hair colour/etc?

If so I'd hate to, say, choose the sunglasses option and not realize that makes me a cyborg.

If it's something else, just let me know.

Edited by Excise

The thing is, I can justify and explain why I feel making cyborg it's own race is a bad addition. You can't. All you can do is sit there eating up whatever Bioware dishes out and going "I like it so I don't care what you think". All they had to do was make it a slider for the other races. You know what's more of a meaningful choice? Choosing whether you want to be a human or a wookiee, not whether you want to be a human or a human with metal on his face.

justifying something is showing proof. A opinion is not proof, the only thing you have justified is that you have your own opinion that differs from most others.

An actual reason, though one I don't care for, could be for RP reasons. The Cyborg slider would be more practical from my standpoint, but honestly making cyborg a full race makes more sense from an RP standpoint. You are a cyborg, you picked that race. You have a whole back story based off it and its a core part of your RP experience. If it was just a slider then you could still make that decision but it would probably be extremely less weighted. I'm just playing devils advocate.

Actually, the thing is, I don't have to explain why I like it, because to be honest, I don't feel a need to make a point by point debate on the concept of a cyborg race being in the game. Was part of enough of those pre-release to find it mildly tedious. Suffice to say, I do like the addition. That's the grand thing about opinions. Even when you attempt to justify them....all you're doing is justifying your opinion for yourself.

And no, it has nothing to do with me "eating up whatever Bioware dishes out", though again, I like how you attempt to demean other people's ability to think critically in your attempt to posit your opinion of cyborgs being an inferior race choice. I also like how you provide Wookiee as your meaningful choice. Which brings us back to 2009 and how we were told exactly why such races as Wookiee's and Trando's wouldn't be in the game's release. Which involved the vast differences in overall story that would occur by simply being a Wookiee or Trandoshan. And that to properly explore the true meaning behind being such a race, they would have to create a completely seperate storyline for them.....rather than "Wookiee smuggler." And in doing so, imply that they will likely show up in an expansion.

But it's okay, you can continue to pretend that your idea that the choice to include a cyborg race sucks is somehow more than an opinion. Just don't be surprised when people disagree with you.

Edited by Jxspyder

A cyborg was a cybernetic organism, that is, a living organic sentient organism with mechanical prostheses. Often covered in synthflesh/synthskin, these prostheses served one or more of three purposes:

1.Life support, often due to injuries sustained. Examples of this were Darth Vader, General Grievous, and Lumiya.

2.Prosthetic replacements for parts that were lost, though they may not be required for life itself. An example of this was the prosthetic hand used by Luke Skywalker, as well the

mechanical arm used by Anakin Skywalker.

3.To enhance one's abilities, as in the case of Lobot. General Grievous's abilities were also significantly enhanced by his prostheses, though his main reason for becoming a cyborg was that he had sustained massive injuries and would have died otherwise. However, his four arms, each with its own lightsaber, did improve his swordsmanship beyond his native abilities.

Cyborg also referred to creatures that were half-organic and half-droid. They were generally regarded as "soulless abominations". Cyberneticists were responsible for developing and creating cybernetic components.

Famous cyborgs

■Bao-Dur

■Empatojayos Brand

■Death Hunter cyborg

■Dengar

■D'harhan

■Attuma Duum

■Gorm

■Grievous

■Haazen

■Harrsk

■A'Sharad Hett/Darth Krayt

■Bertroff Hissa

■Oron Jaeger

■Kligson

■Derek Klivian

■Delak Krennel

■Lobot

■Lotas

■Lumiya

■Luwingo

■Arden Lyn

■Darth Malak

■Lord Nyax

■Jan Ors

■Ton Phanan

■Cay Qel-Droma

■Qorl

■Azlyn Rae

■Rav

■Terrinald Screed

■Shadow Droids (Starfighters with fused pilot brains)

Aurra Sing had a bio-computer implanted in her brain

■Aurra Sing

■Skorr

■Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader

■Luke Skywalker

■Booster Terrik

■Osvald Teshik

■Gadon Thek

■B'dard Tone

■Griggor Tower

■Trachta

■Antinnis Tremayne

■Trioculus

■Beilert Valance

■Asajj Ventress

■Alexandra Winger

Cyborg Species

■Entire Gank species

■Entire Yaka species

■Entire Marasan species

■Entire Iskalloni species

■Males of Rokrul Nelvaanians

Source

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cyborg

Just takes a bit of searching, though i believe the OP knows this and his post was meant for trollings

you forgot captain typho

http://www.swtordaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/captain-typho.gif

So what you are saying is that because ONE character with any major role in the films is a wookie, wookies should be playable; not the Cyborgs who have major roles throughout every single film, excluding episode I.

What point you also miss is the fact that, frankly, no one cares what you say. I have a Cyborg, and would rather have a Cyborg than a wookie, trandoshan or any other pointless crappy race in the galaxy for my Sith Warrior. Because lets face it, the most iconic Sith ever, is a cyborg.

The arguement that they could have simply put a slider on humans misses the point that Cyborgs don't simply re-skin humans; they modify the skeleton of the facial structure, especially when adding in eye attachments which stop the movement of the face in conversations etc. To "put a slider in" would actually make no less work than having a seperate race, and infact quite probably increases the work required.

In a story perspective, the only races on the Empire's side that would have the expenses of Cyborg implants would be the humans - Sith purebloods pride themselves on their strength and would likely not want to mar that by adding in non-biological parts; the other races are simply inferior in Imperial eyes (though I can't comment on Chiss, the fact you can only get an agent Chiss kinda negates the need to speculate however).

There we go, I did more justifying in my arguement than you did in all of your "I am right you are wrong" posts in this thread. Your opinion is not the most important one, and judging by the number of Cyborgs in game; your opinion is vastly in the minority.

The thing is, I can justify and explain why I feel making cyborg it's own race is a bad addition. You can't.

This phrasing makes my eyes hurt. You are literally claiming that a poster cannot explain why you feel making a cyborg its own race is a bad addition. I suspect this is not what you actually meant to say, which indicates you're not nearly as skilled at explaining things as you believe.

But maybe you're right. It really is hard to explain why any particular person obtusely and unreasonably believes that his subjective opinions on video game 3D art should be treated like Newton's Laws of Motion or the Ten Commandments.

But seriously, nobody really cares how you or the OP "feel" about cyborgs. Most of those playing cyborgs "Race" characters are perfectly happy with the system as implemented. We are simply not hardcore enough to appreciate the earthshaking lameness behind the nitty-gritty retcons and canon rationalizations used to justify particular character appearance customization options in a video game, nor do we care to attain such insight.

Your (totally obtuse) failure to grasp these facts is the primary intellectual failure on display in this thread, not anything the pro-Cyborg faction can or cannot explain about your "feelings", their own "feelings", the cyborg race option or anything else.

So what you are saying is that because ONE character with any major role in the films is a wookie, wookies should be playable; not the Cyborgs who have major roles throughout every single film, excluding episode I.

What point you also miss is the fact that, frankly, no one cares what you say. I have a Cyborg, and would rather have a Cyborg than a wookie, trandoshan or any other pointless crappy race in the galaxy for my Sith Warrior. Because lets face it, the most iconic Sith ever, is a cyborg.

The arguement that they could have simply put a slider on humans misses the point that Cyborgs don't simply re-skin humans; they modify the skeleton of the facial structure, especially when adding in eye attachments which stop the movement of the face in conversations etc. To "put a slider in" would actually make no less work than having a seperate race, and infact quite probably increases the work required.

In a story perspective, the only races on the Empire's side that would have the expenses of Cyborg implants would be the humans - Sith purebloods pride themselves on their strength and would likely not want to mar that by adding in non-biological parts; the other races are simply inferior in Imperial eyes (though I can't comment on Chiss, the fact you can only get an agent Chiss kinda negates the need to speculate however).

There we go, I did more justifying in my arguement than you did in all of your "I am right you are wrong" posts in this thread. Your opinion is not the most important one, and judging by the number of Cyborgs in game; your opinion is vastly in the minority.

Actually what he is saying is that cyborg is not a species, while wookie is. You can't make yourself NOT a wookie without lots of gene therapy, and probably not even then. You CAN however become a cyborg and then remove your status as being a cyborg simply be removing the metal implants. Not a species.

Also, can we please use the word SPECIES and not RACE. I have hated the use of the word race since fantasy began. Orcs are not a different RACE from humans, they are a different SPECIES. Whereas Erudites would be a different race from Humans or Barbarians...to use an EQ example. Dark elves, high elves, wood elves, different races of elves, but elves are different species from humans.

Also, can we please use the word SPECIES and not RACE..

Only an anti-Alien bigot would wish to replace the word "race" with its connotations of sentience and culture, with the sterile word "species" which is a term that originates in zoology.

A member of a different race is a different sort of person. A member of a different species is like an animal or plant, and hence a lower order of life than human.

I bet you would have fit right in on old Taris. You ought to be ashamed. Twi'leks are people, too!

I play a cyborg. When I was making him and saw that it was just humans with different metal **** on their face I was a little disappointed. I mean it says cyborg i.e. cybernetic organism. Any organism has some potential at being a cyborg, but all we get are humans.

Why shouldn't there be a race/species slider in the Cyborg character creation?