Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Unlocking flagship rooms

InfamousDolphin
12.11.2018 , 04:02 PM | #1
I see in the patch notes that the cost to initially purchase a flagship has been reduced from 50 million to 8 million. As we all know, the cost to initially purchase a flagship is a teeny tiny portion of the cost to fully unlock a flagship -- somewhere around 1,500,000,000 credits total. I am still waiting for the patch to download, so I haven't seen for myself, but does anyone know if the cost and/or materials to unlock flagship rooms has been reduced?

I mean, reducing the total cost by 42 million is nice, I guess, but I really hope they reduced the main cost of a flagship, which is unlocking the rooms.

InfamousDolphin
12.11.2018 , 04:41 PM | #2
I have found the answer to my question: the cost to unlock rooms appears top be the same. So whoopee, the cost to unlock a flagship was reduced by 2.8%. Yay.

Suzsi
12.11.2018 , 04:54 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by InfamousDolphin View Post
I have found the answer to my question: the cost to unlock rooms appears top be the same. So whoopee, the cost to unlock a flagship was reduced by 2.8%. Yay.

But wait, it gets better!
Considering the game needs more credit sinks to try and stablize the economy not less, im not seeing a issue here. Should have just left it all as it was. The more credits out of the economy the better.

Jozandra
12.11.2018 , 05:30 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Suzsi View Post
Considering the game needs more credit sinks to try and stablize the economy not less, im not seeing a issue here. Should have just left it all as it was. The more credits out of the economy the better.
I understand your point but am the sole surviving player still active in either my Republic and Imperial guilds. Being a poor player, the inability to afford the unlock price in the flagship really bites.

InfamousDolphin
12.11.2018 , 06:17 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Jozandra View Post
I understand your point but am the sole surviving player still active in either my Republic and Imperial guilds. Being a poor player, the inability to afford the unlock price in the flagship really bites.
Today's update was a big middle finger to anyone in a guild that doesn't show up on the weekly conquest leader boards. So... yeah. It bites.

HoloTweed
12.11.2018 , 06:19 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Jozandra View Post
Guilds were not made for solo players so outside of making it easy to GET the ship, there should be no expectation to make unlocking one affordable to most solo players. That said, you still get perks from the two default areas in the ship (once you do some Guild XP leveling), so there's that.

Why not recruit? There should be some folks happy to be part of a start up guild rather than another faceless minion.

InfamousDolphin
12.11.2018 , 06:36 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by HoloTweed View Post
Guilds were not made for solo players so outside of making it easy to GET the ship, there should be no expectation to make unlocking one affordable to most solo players. That said, you still get perks from the two default areas in the ship (once you do some Guild XP leveling), so there's that.
Perks that you can spend 900,000 credits for, each, every 28 days. Perks that do not quite bring you up to the +10% XP/rep bonuses you had yesterday.

Quote: Originally Posted by HoloTweed View Post
Why not recruit? There should be some folks happy to be part of a start up guild rather than another faceless minion.
Only if they don't know anything about today's update. If you are not in one of the top 10 megaguilds, you are wasting your time. As the GM of a guild with 265 members (a little over 100 legacies), I am wondering what we can do about it. Maybe approach some other medium-size guilds and talk about merging. Because the devs have penalized every guild that is not at the top of the conquest leader boards.

Malthol
12.12.2018 , 05:35 AM | #8
Yeah, I am a small guild leader. We've been around since beta, but our active membership has fallen. Most of us are RL friends, though, and not inclined to give up our guild. The unlock costs are prohibitive. We are all adults, career people & small business owners, mostly married, mostly parents. It is annoying that we are locked out of fully opening the guild ship. However, we also know that MMOs have always catered to the players who put in 60+ hours a week and the large guilds who schedule their players like it is a fulltime job. It would be nice if this, which has no effect on BIS gearing but lots of effect on ability to keep a character leveled Ops readiness, could be changed to let us dedicated but less frequent players access it.

xordevoreaux
12.12.2018 , 05:58 AM | #9
What makes the situation worse is that now running after battle masters and named commanders, which before was necessary to get the encryptions and frameworks to unlock flagships, is now also part of the mindless conquest grind, so guilds with no need to get those drops will be killing commanders just for conquest points. It doesn't matter that 24 people can help kill a commander, only 8 or 12 of those players get encryption drops, the rest of the players helping out get nothing but conquest points.

Everybody needing to unlock the areas of a flagship can grab a couple of competent friends and take down a battle master, and with the more cheaply acquired flagships, that means a lot more people will be vying for a resource whose prevalence has not increased nor whose necessity has not been diminished (via changing flagship room unlocks to not need those resources).

So, a scarce resource (12 planets of battle masters that spawn once every few hours and shielded commanders that are the exclusive domain to kill for whichever huge guild owns that sector) means if you weren't paying a ton of money for encryptions before on the GTN because you could occasionally snag a battle master, you will now, which is nothing more than a Christmas present for the gold sellers.

People think a credit sink has been taken away by reducing the cost of the flagship, but the demand for credits to buy frameworks and encryptions off the GTN just shot way up.

Players rich enough and already in the habit to buy crap off the cartel market to fund the credits necessary to shop for encryptions on the GTN will be the only ones not screaming about this.

They should have reduced the flagship unlock costs (to not use fought-over tokens) as well as the flagship acquisition cost.
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/F4XbCd
In English, a leading X on a word is pronounced like a Z. (zorDEVoro).

InfamousDolphin
12.12.2018 , 09:11 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by xordevoreaux View Post
People think a credit sink has been taken away by reducing the cost of the flagship, but the demand for credits to buy frameworks and encryptions off the GTN just shot way up.

Players rich enough and already in the habit to buy crap off the cartel market to fund the credits necessary to shop for encryptions on the GTN will be the only ones not screaming about this.
Actually, I am one of those GTN players, and the prices of the encryptions have already shot up. So what cost a billion and a half on Sunday (completely unlocking a flagship) would now cost billions of credits. To a megaguild like <Unchained Wrath>, it's a minor inconvenience, and well worth the truckload of perks they just got. To everyone not in a megaguild...