Star Fighter Analysis: Z-95 HeadHunter

Wolfninjajedi

Am now delving into some technological stuff, will continue to do characters but I feel as if a lot don't know much about the technology side of some weapons or fighters and all that. These threads, will somewhat differ from the character threads just a heads up...so without further ago lets get on with it!

==============

"You gotta love the Z-95. Nothing beats the feeling of power they give you."

―Unknown Bandit Squadron pilot

The Z-95 Headhunter was designed by Incom and Subpro Corporations before the invasion of Naboo, its resilience and longevity remained a staple for private and low-priority government starfighters. Considered one of the most capable fighters of its day, the Z-95 had a bubble canopy and blasters on each of the two wings. It was smaller in size however, compared to its successors the Clone Z-95 and the Incom T-65 X-wing and while it still was in considerable use years following the New Republic, it was clearly outclassed by fighters developed in the decades since its original release.

It was fairly inexpensive and reliable, making it favored among smugglers, Outer Rim organizations, local system defense forces, and bright eyed youngsters with dreams of becoming fighter jockeys.

========

Schematics of a Z-95= http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/3/39/Z95headhunter_egvv.jpg

Cost= 80k(New), 45k(Used)

Roles= Space Superiority, Recon, Close Air Support, Training

Engines= 4 Incom 2a fission engines

Shielding= XoLyyn shields

Max Acceleration= 2, 780 G

Max Speed(Atmosphere)= 1,150 km/h

Armament= Variable, though the standard were two link Taim & Bak KX5 laser cannons and 2 Krupx MG5 concussion missile launchers.

Cargo Capacity= 85 kg

Consumables= 1 day

The Z-95 had no hyperdrive but it could be equipped in an upgrade. Compared to the T-65 though, it was slower, less manuverable, had lighter armor and shielding and was not as heavily armed though it could perform a tighter turn.

======

Thoughts: My thoughts on this fighter are....its a good starting one for those who are fresh pilots. It wouldn't be great for combat or at least not anymore, but it would give the pilot nice training in handle a starfighter and using the weapons. Would make for a good traveling ship however, if equipped with a hyperdrive.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

The Z-95 was a good ship, but its become out-classed. I like its simple design. I wonder how successful the rebels would have been if they had kept the Z-95's instead of replacing them with the X-Wing.

Probably not successful at all given that they replaced them with the X-wings lol. Its worse then the TIE fighter.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Probably not successful at all given that they replaced them with the X-wings lol. Its worse then the TIE fighter.

Yeah, the TIE Fighter isn't the greatest ship. It's more of a swarmer-type ship. Build alot of them to compensate for their lack of shielding and such.

Good thing the rebels got the X-Wings though. But the HeadHunter has its uses. Its a good ship for personal travel. Its become more of a civilian vessel, imo.

Yeah, the TIE Fighter isn't the greatest ship. It's more of a swarmer-type ship. Build alot of them to compensate for their lack of shielding and such.

Good thing the rebels got the X-Wings though. But the HeadHunter has its uses. Its a good ship for personal travel. Its become more of a civilian vessel, imo.

Or like is said, used for low government security in where you wouldn't really need powerful ships. I think i'll do the TIE fighter next.

Or like is said, used for low government security in where you wouldn't really need powerful ships. I think i'll do the TIE fighter next.

That's a good idea. The TIE Fighter is an interesting vessel and I would like to know why the Empire went in that direction for their vessels. They could have built much better fighters, but went with the TIE Fighter. Be interesting to see what you do with that subject.

That's a good idea. The TIE Fighter is an interesting vessel and I would like to know why the Empire went in that direction for their vessels. They could have built much better fighters, but went with the TIE Fighter. Be interesting to see what you do with that subject.

Found this awhile back on http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Eta-2_Actis-class_light_interceptor

"Elements of the Eta-2 Actis design were used in the creation of the Sienar Fleet Systems line of TIE starfighters—most notably the vertical radiator panels and twin ion engines, as well as the spoked viewing port; this was expanded in the Eta-2's TIE successor to become the fighter's main viewport.

However, the greatest legacy of the Actis-class was the philosophy behind it—that smaller, more nimble, unshielded, and relatively under-equipped fighters, when mass-produced, could be ultimately more effective than a lesser quantity of costlier, bulkier, well-armed, and better-protected starfighters. This had been demonstrated in the Battle of Coruscant where more heavy fighters suffered significant losses at the hands of lighter, more agile fighters. This opinion principally ushered in the dominance of the TIE series, and inevitably spurred the phasing-out of superior-quality fighters like the ARC-170.

This decision would come back to haunt the Imperial Navy, however, when the ARC-170's successor, the T-65 X-wing starfighter, proved superior to the TIE/ln swarms of the Empire and was pivotal in the defeat of the Empire in the Galactic Civil War. One difference between the Clone Wars and Galactic Civil War was that most Eta-2 pilots were Jedi and were able to survive due to the Force and good skill; TIE pilots were well-trained, but few—if any—had an affinity for the Force and so casualty rates were higher than in the Clone Wars. Most Eta-2 pilots gaining experience were able to hone their skills to veteran levels, but the high casualty rate of TIE pilots prevented them from developing any further."