Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

NO Addons please. There is another solution!


Vipah's Avatar


Vipah
02.01.2012 , 02:44 AM | #511
Quote: Originally Posted by Sir_Smithington View Post
The no addons argument sounds like it comes mostly from people that have been offended by math (damage meters/parsers) in past MMOs--someone said "hey Mr. Casual, can you fix your priority system (assuming you even have one) or spell rotation (assuming you have one) in order for OUR competitive or semi-competitive guild can make some progress and enjoy the game?"

As expected, Mr. Casual is confused because how could they possibly learn anything from others. Mr. Casual concludes that they couldn't possibly be doing anything wrong and refuses to change. The guild comes back again later and says "Hey, remember how you suck? Well you still do, and here is the math to back it up (shows parse data). Get better or we will replace you with someone that shares our committment to the game. Someone that is actually trying to improve their play and who is not wasting the rest of the guild's time by their terrible play and lack of dedication."

Of course this rarely results in much improvement on behalf of Mr. Casual because he is too offended to reflect on his on inadequacies and would much rather prefer to get mad at the math and the parser program that generated it--pesky facts make Mr. Casual look silly.

Mr. Casual thinks "Leave me alone, I just want to play my way."

Unfortunately for Mr. Casual, he finds he is often granted his wish for solitude as he loses his raid and/or guild spot and is forced to find other casuals who also don't care about their level of play.

The lesson is simple--don't hate the tools that competitive players use to improve their play; instead, find a casual guild or group that doesn't care if can't handle the competition and pressure to improve.

When you join a competitive group or guild, you need to accept that such people HAVE THEIR OWN WAY THEY LIKE TO PLAY AS WELL. So find a group to play with that shares your mindset, or at least grow a thicker skin so as to not be so easily offended by your terrible damage results.

Regarding all of the other things people have mentioned that addons can provide, why would you want less options? You don't have to use any of the addons, but why deprive other people of even having the option? Seems rediculous.
/inbefore flame

This pretty much sums up why i think people are against addons and also a solution for those people. Ofcourse noone likes to hear that they arent pulling their weight and therefore ignore most of this yet again. +1 internets to Sir Smithington nevertheless.

Posting to show my support for addons. A simple damage meter would go a long way making the game more enjoyable.
-= Silicon Revolution =-

iYukiFox's Avatar


iYukiFox
02.01.2012 , 03:05 AM | #512
Quote: Originally Posted by Logainn View Post
The problem with add-ons is that they change how the game evolves. I've played WoW, I didn't have a problem with add-ons at start. Hell, I even used them. But eventually, they became so widely used and made so many raid encounters easier, developers started to design encounters with the use of these add-ons in mind.
In reality, it became sort of obligatory to use add-ons if you wanted to compete in any way.

Add-ons give individual add-on developers the power to influence game evolution. I want that power to remain solely in Bioware's hands.

Not to mention the whole gearscore debacle/drama that wow has seen.
When that happened, WoW slowly ABSORBED those addons. I want customized addons for my UI. The current UI is horrible.

urgod's Avatar


urgod
02.01.2012 , 03:15 AM | #513
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMasterChirs View Post
For the Love of Luke Skywalker! I don't want to be some stupid guild that requires me do use something to the effect of Deadly Boss Mods, Recount, and Omen threat meters. In other words, NO EFFFING MODS FOR THIS GAME!!!!
Then don't join said "STUPID" guild that simple.

LordTyrantXerxis's Avatar


LordTyrantXerxis
02.01.2012 , 03:17 AM | #514
I am okay with a threat meters, dot/hot timers, action bar addons. etc but I am 110% against damage parsers.

Brumani's Avatar


Brumani
02.01.2012 , 03:29 AM | #515
yap, eaven a simple damage meters would be nice. I myself, want to take 110% out of my character, do the best or more with it. Whats the point of buying a ferrari, if you are only using first 3 gears.
-B

apla's Avatar


apla
02.01.2012 , 03:36 AM | #516
Quote: Originally Posted by TheSkate View Post
Considering I raided with 3 healing classes in WoW... Yes I know what it does and probably much better than you do. What the hell was your point? It is another addon some people are whining about needing in the game that IS NOT NEEDED!
Since you played that card, I raided with all 4 healing classes in WoW. But people often mention healbot because of the "bot" part that it did pre-2.0. They think that healbot is something that makes you heal automatically. But it's just another raid frames with built-in click configuration. And that's something I would very much like in SWTOR. Not healbot though, I use customized Pitbull, and after all these years, Blizzard's own raid frames aren't too bad anymore. The healing action is in the unit frames, I need to be able to customize them. I don't see how this could possibly hurt anyone else's gaming experience.

apla's Avatar


apla
02.01.2012 , 03:38 AM | #517
Quote: Originally Posted by Ruklukk View Post
Hate to say it but only baddies clamor for addons.

If you can't feel the connection between your healing and your damage, between your threat and your environment then you are NOT a very good PC gamer. It is as simple as that.

That people can espouse being "elite" while they affix training wheels to their bike is almost too absurd for words.
How can you "feel the connection between your damage" when you don't see a single number of outgoing damage on your screen? Not to mention "feelings" are very inaccurate because of selective memory. It's too easy to focus on those few big crits and overestimate that ability's overall effect, when it could be insignificant in the big picture.

MustrumRidcully's Avatar


MustrumRidcully
02.01.2012 , 03:44 AM | #518
Quote: Originally Posted by Kynesis View Post
Where add ons become a requirement, it speaks more of a game developers failing to recognise and deal with players and the games needs.
There is always a group of players that says a game is too easy. And you can bet they'll use all the add-ons. The game isn't easy to them because they are not learning everything they can about the game and use everything they can to master an optimum play-style. So they will inevitably use any add-ons that help understanding, learning and mastering the play-style.
But the type of add-ons that give clear, actionable information that you would not have without them, where you normally would have to rely on guesstimation and experience, they give you a factual advantage. Without them, there is a human margin of error that you have to minimize by experience, with them, the margin of error is gone as the add-on tells you what you would otherwise have to guess or estimate. The add-on will inevitably make the game easier for a player that is looking for a challenge. Of course this player will demand a higher difficulty.

By what rationale should the game developer provide the player with these add-ons that he craves, but not provide this player the challenge he craves?

It seems a lot simpler to me to not provide add-ons like that at all, and keep the game at a challenging level without the tools.

tegororn's Avatar


tegororn
02.01.2012 , 04:06 AM | #519
/signed. Big time.

Predarek's Avatar


Predarek
02.01.2012 , 05:57 AM | #520
Quote: Originally Posted by Logainn View Post
The problem with add-ons is that they change how the game evolves. I've played WoW, I didn't have a problem with add-ons at start. Hell, I even used them. But eventually, they became so widely used and made so many raid encounters easier, developers started to design encounters with the use of these add-ons in mind.
In reality, it became sort of obligatory to use add-ons if you wanted to compete in any way.

Add-ons give individual add-on developers the power to influence game evolution. I want that power to remain solely in Bioware's hands.

Not to mention the whole gearscore debacle/drama that wow has seen.
When it comes to addon, people have these weird ideas about them and you are perpetuating this kind ot thinking. First of all, the encounters already have everything that WoW have as information (you have alerts: Soa is on a frenzy) and there is text emotes that are telling you what is happening next. The encounters in WoW can be beat without DBM, in fact in Cata I never bothered using DBM since the game provided enough information. So Blizzard never designed the encounter with add-ons in mind.

Quote:
Add-ons give individual add-on developers the power to influence game evolution. I want that power to remain solely in Bioware's hands.
So this is totally false. Even in hardcore guilds, some people don't even use addons that matters to beat encounters. The only addons that helps somehow are the ones that the default UI sucked at displaying in example the raid frames but that kind of UI customization is supposedly coming.

As for meters, there are enough threads about this that I won't answer this one.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try!